Jimmy Devellano on the Wings and SW Ontario

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Interesting comments from Jimmy D of the Wings on US markets, drawing from Canada, and the economy.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/OtherSports/2011/05/05/18108631.html
Both of Ilitch's teams go beyond the Detroit area into southwestern Ontario to try to attract spectators.

"If you stuck a pin in a map and circled every area within 90 minutes of downtown Detroit, that's where we're trying to draw from," Devellano said.

"What has worked for us is marketing pretty hard into western Ontario. Big time. Windsor, Chatham, London, St. Thomas, Sarnia. We've marketed big into Ontario, and with the Canadian dollar now strong, it has helped.

"We've made sure that people in western Ontario understand there is an availability of tickets. That has helped. We're actually up a fair amount with the Red Wings. We haven't been too bad, but I can't tell you the last four years haven't been a tough sell because they have been."

"About four years ago we saw our season tickets take dramatic drops and we knew that wasn't normal when we had a Stanley Cup champion," Devellano said. "Fairly quickly we were able to get a read that the economy was tanking, the car companies were having a problem and people were moving out of the state.

"It didn't matter how good the Red Wings were, it was just an economic problem. Being Canadian, and having a bit of a feel for it, I just said, 'Hey, we've got to get into Canada.' There are a lot of hockey fans in Canada who are a lot closer to Detroit than they are to the Toronto Maple Leafs."

"I read the Canadian media making fun of places like Phoenix in the NHL," Devellano said. "Well, in Canada they don't have to battle competition from the NBA, the NFL or Major League Baseball."

"I guess what I'm saying is that in Canada we shouldn't be so 'haughty' about it. We've got four franchises in Detroit that have to sell. It's a lot of work. It's not easy. We now have to be a regional team to survive. Anything within (90 minutes) is what we've got to target. That's what we're doing."

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Interesting comments from Jimmy D of the Wings on US markets, drawing from Canada, and the economy.

Nice article. It's too bad it doesn't mention how many of the season ticket holders are from Ontario. I do wonder how changes in broadcasting rights have hurt the Red Wings in gaining market share in Ontario. Back in the day, when the Wings were on WKBD and WJR, it was easy to follow the Wings in Ontario. Just turn on the tv or radio and you got your Wings fix. Now, with all of the games on FS Detroit and WXYT, you've lost some of that market penetration. WXYT's signal isn't as strong - it doesn't make it out to London or Chatham as clearly as WJR does and there's no way to get tv games of the Wings unless CBC, TSN, NHL Net or NBC are showing them or you have to pay for a premium sports package. I know with the internet, it helps, but it was much simpler in the 80s and 90s to access Wings games over the air in Canada.

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009

Maybe in their minds they believe that they were quick to realize the economy was bad, but that just isn't true. The economy was already bad in 2005 coming out of the lockout and they hand out Joe Bucks instead of lowering ticket prices. They didn't get it. They still made season ticket holders pay everything up front until about four years ago when they finally offered payment options. They have finally gotten better.

Fugu

Imagine that. Canada: A strong hockey market.:shakehead

Aren't you ignoring a couple of points though?

1. Drawing from as far away as London, Ont, my dear Hamilton Tigers fan.

2. All four major sports leagues competing for a shrinking pie.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
"I read the Canadian media making fun of places like Phoenix in the NHL," Devellano said. "Well, in Canada they don't have to battle competition from the NBA, the NFL or Major League Baseball."

So the Raptors and Blue Jays play in Rochester or something?

Fugu

So the Raptors and Blue Jays play in Rochester or something?

Talk to me when TO (a larger metro area than Detroit, and more diversified financially, also the country's largest) gets the NFL team to boot! Do two NCAA powerhouses count in the pie competition? (UofM and MSU with football and hoops offerings?)

Peak Sports.
Not sure what you mean, Dado? :help:

Oh, and Jimmy D is a Canadian. What do you Canucks say to that? :)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Gee drawing from 90 minutes away in all directions, that's just brilliant Jimmy. Who'd a thunk it? As for Canadian cities not having 4 different teams to compete with, well duh all the more reason to put an NHL team there............cause MLB isn't coming and who really wants the NBA anyway. As for the NFL, 8 home games a season big deal not worth the hype.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Talk to me when TO (a larger metro area than Detroit, and more diversified financially, also the country's largest) gets the NFL team to boot! Do two NCAA powerhouses count in the pie competition? (UofM and MSU with football and hoops offerings?)

The Toronto Maple Leafs will always be our favourite. Every other team is kind of a neglected step child anyway.

Fugu

The Toronto Maple Leafs will always be our favourite. Every other team is kind of a neglected step child anyway.

Stephen! You grace us with your presence away from the Leafs board. :laugh:

There are a few 'misguided' Ontarians (?) that have seen the light, the redness of it, and enjoy following an elite franchise managed by, well, some great Canadian hockey minds. (Tee hee. I can get in a shot at Burke even while discussing the Wings!)

These fans have been rewarded with 20 straight playoff appearances and four Cups. We even have Toronto Wings fans on our board. Windsor and Chatham, I understand, but TO is getting right at the heart of the beast. :D

Anyhoo.... @Hockeyhopeful. Jimmy D isn't the one who was saying it was brilliant, just pointing out that as the Michigan economy deteriorated, they've had to widen their circle a wee bit. Keep in mind that Wings fans (and STH's) have been moving out of the state. You see this effect with the strength of the following in other markets when the teams visit. The people moving out tend to be the ones who can get jobs in other parts of the country relatively easily-- basically the demographic of hockey fans, educated/professional and probably high tech-oriented (aka engineering).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Oh, and Jimmy D is a Canadian. What do you Canucks say to that? :)

Toronto boy. I say take me back to the 5 and Dime Jimmy D, when you were but a wee tadpole scouting on spec for the Blues, the Wings sucked, and it was always an easy 2 point night for the Leafs. :cry:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Stephen! You grace us with your presence away from the Leafs board. :laugh:

There are a few 'misguided' Ontarians (?) that have seen the light, the redness of it, and enjoy following an elite franchise managed by, well, some great Canadian hockey minds. (Tee hee. I can get in a shot at Burke even while discussing the Wings!)

These fans have been rewarded with 20 straight playoff appearances and four Cups. We even have Toronto Wings fans on our board. Windsor and Chatham, I understand, but TO is getting right at the heart of the beast. :D

Anyhoo.... @Hockeyhopeful. Jimmy D isn't the one who was saying it was brilliant, just pointing out that as the Michigan economy deteriorated, they've had to widen their circle a wee bit. Keep in mind that Wings fans (and STH's) have been moving out of the state. You see this effect with the strength of the following in other markets when the teams visit. The people moving out tend to be the ones who can get jobs in other parts of the country relatively easily-- basically the demographic of hockey fans, educated/professional and probably high tech-oriented (aka engineering).
I'd find it just incredibly negligent if the Wings weren't trying from season one, to draw fans from SW Ontario. With Windsor as a neighbour I kind of thought the Wings always got more support from Ontario than Buffalo did. I've seen statements claiming as much as 20% of Sabre fans came from Ontario, I always thought Detroit got at least that if not more.

mucker*

When you look at Detroit attendance, the Wings draw superior to all other pro teams.
But any Detroit guy will tell you it goes:
1) Lions
2) Tigers
3) Wings/UM/MS and maybe Pistons

This means the Wings attendance being so much better is less a reflection of their standing in Detroit sports, more a product of winning and desperate Ontario fans.

mucker*

Which begs the question....in SW Ontario, are they

1) Wings fans?
2) Leafs fans?
3) Wings and Leafs fans?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

1) Wings fans?
2) Leafs fans?
3) Wings and Leafs fans?

They're Leaf fans.......... However there are just an amazing number of hockey fans in S Ontario. I've said before, the home team has most of their fans come from their area. Go to any board on this site, the 2nd most area ANY team gets it's fans from is S. Ontario.

At least that's what I've found. I used to frequent the Pens board, was just amazed by the number of posters from Ontario. I even thought there were more from Ontario than from Pittsburgh.

Another way to look at it, everybody around here has a "Backup Team" otherwise we'd never watch the playoffs :cry:

Last edited:

mucker*

So you are
1) Leafs fans first
2) Wings or Pens fans when not playing TO?

(Why not Buffalo)?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So you are
1) Leafs fans first

(Why not Buffalo)?

There are Sabre fans, as well as every other team. For the most part I would say the other teams are just backup teams. You know someone to cheer for during the playoffs or even during the season because the Leafs showing has been so bad. We're bandwagoners here as well and alot of hockey fans are off the band wagon currently. If the Leafs ever become a powerhouse again, alot of teams are going to wonder where their fans went. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
So you are
1) Leafs fans first

(Why not Buffalo)?

It depends much on your age. From what generation. With the exception of the Niagara Falls region of Southern Ontario, the Sabers' have never really caught on the way you'd think they mightve' moving east or west to any great extent for a variety of reasons. With the older generations, Detroit being an 06' team, they do have a fairly entrenched multi-generational fan base in SW Ontario & into Toronto. Certainly from the early 50's through the 60's, if you lived in Toronto or environs if you werent a Leafs fan you were more than likely to be a Wings fan, followed by Chicago, possibly Boston when Orr came along. The younger generations tend to base their loyalties on team success rather location; the Habs, Oilers, Isles, Pens, Devils & absolutely the Red Wings picking up new fans as a direct result of their on-ice successes piled up with what naturally becomes a roster of marquee players & superstar talents. Even through the Red Wings really bad years from about 67 until Yzerman arrived on the scene Detroits fan base in Toronto proper was always fairly large, and Id bet if you took a poll, you find them to be Leafs fans 2nd most popular team.

Fugu

I'd find it just incredibly negligent if the Wings weren't trying from season one, to draw fans from SW Ontario. With Windsor as a neighbour I kind of thought the Wings always got more support from Ontario than Buffalo did. I've seen statements claiming as much as 20% of Sabre fans came from Ontario, I always thought Detroit got at least that if not more.

Windsor has always been a foregone conclusion, especially in the days of over-the-air broadcasts. I presume that the local cable outlet in Windsor still provides Wings games, but I've never checked with anyone about that. I know the guys in the TO area often gripe about access though.

The thing with Ontario though, being the biggest province, and metro Toronto/GTA concentrating much of the financial base translates to numerous Canadian transplants too. There are probably more colleges and universities clustered there than any other region as well. That means, as Fourier pointed out, that you'll get a good portion of hockey fans who grew up as fans of other teams but who now call that area home.

Regarding west of London to Windsor, I once read that some informal surveys placed it as mostly red in Windsor, and then divides right down the middle of families until you get to London, which I believe is still more Leafs oriented.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

1) Wings fans?
2) Leafs fans?
3) Wings and Leafs fans?

I've lived in Sarnia, where the split was about 50-50 between Wings and Leaf fans-I currently live about 25 miles outside of Sarnia now in Lambton-Essex-Kent area, and you actually could live dangerously wearing a Leafs Jersey:laugh:-alot more Red Wing fans in the rural areas.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I've lived in Sarnia, where the split was about 50-50 between Wings and Leaf fans-I currently live about 25 miles outside of Sarnia now in Lambton-Essex-Kent area, and you actually could live dangerously wearing a Leafs Jersey:laugh:-alot more Red Wing fans in the rural areas.

But you are..........A Leaf fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad