Jim Rutherford Needs to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I am a JR fan and I have always been. I think he is among the very best GMs in this league. That said, I am not against moving on from him IF we go outside the organization and find his replacement. Someone like Trevor Timmins would be my choice. Timmins has been very good at the draft table for Montreal, and he could put the focus back to drafting and developing. I don't know if he wants a GM role, but he is the type of outside-the-box hire I would be in favor of. If we stay in-house, Kevin Stevens intrigues me. However, I do think this organization needs a new direction.

Now, with that ALL said, I am absolutely not in favor of firing Rutherford but keeping Sullivan. If JR goes, Sullivan has to go too. The last thing we need is to empower this coach even more. I firmly believe he is the bigger issue but again, if one goes then they both should go.

If we move on from JR, then we should absolutely focus on the draft.

This is a good post because it’s actually informed with a plan. But who cares about a plan? The internet wants heads to roll.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think the organization as a whole has enough trust in Kevin Stevens to do anything aside from scout.

...and this is coming from a guy who wears a Stevens jersey to every single Pens game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To me, JR was explaining to Guerin that you have to build trust among other GM's. If you build relationships with the league trading is easier when you are in a bind and in need. I dont know whether or not Guerin understands what JR means or he botched the meaning :laugh:

Hopefully it means Guerin thinks he has to be generous to fellow GMs and is willing to trade us Zucker or Dumba for Johnson or ZAR. ;)

Reactions: NEPA

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Um. What?

What is confusing? There’s a reason why Rutherford is able to be so flexible with the roster when things don’t work. If you always try to make the other guy look bad or take them for all they’re worth, then you have the one trade to hang your hat on but you run out of opportunities in the future. Not saying that approach is always necessary, but it’s not a bad principle.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't think JR has actually had a lopsided trade. At the time, each of them seem to be mostly 'hockey trade' caliber. Now, some have gone in their favor or not after the fact. He has a tendency to give up a sneaky little extra pick though which sucks. It'll be buried in the press release. But there it is. A lil third rounder hanging out....

Reactions: canadianguy77

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I don't think JR has actually had a lopsided trade. At the time, each of them seem to be mostly 'hockey trade' caliber. Now, some have gone in their favor or not after the fact. He has a tendency to give up a sneaky little extra pick though which sucks. It'll be buried in the press release. But there it is. A lil third rounder hanging out....
I mostly agree with this but that Scuderi trade was quite a fleecing in my eyes. That dude was downright horrible in his 2nd stint with us. I would've been happy to gift picks with him for nothing in return just so he no longer wore a Penguins jersey.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mostly agree with this but that Scuderi trade was quite a fleecing in my eyes. That dude was downright horrible in his 2nd stint with us. I would've been happy to gift picks with him for nothing in return just so he no longer wore a Penguins jersey.

Weren't there a bunch of fans in CHI who felt the same about Daley?

It worked out great. But Daley was relegated to less than 15mins a game with no confidence by team. And that fall kinda started in Dallas so it wasn't just CHI. He was clearly revived here. But I don't think it was a given (a lot like Schultz really).

This was some of the sentiment at the time (via bleacherreport so yeah lol):

Essentially, this comes down to the question of whether Daley is still a competent NHL defenceman.
If he’s passable, the Penguins win this deal—particularly since his strengths (skating, passing, shooting) are good stylistic fits for the Pittsburgh blue line.
On the other hand, if he struggles, Chicago just traded one lousy veteran for another while saving more than $1.0 million per season in the process.

Last edited:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Weren't there a bunch of fans in CHI who felt the same about Daley?
There were definitely some on these boards butI never really understood that.

I wonder if Quenville never really liked him because he was getting 3rd pairing minutes when he was still capable of top 4 duties or that he was a 5 or 6 in terms of depth on that team. I forget what their pairings were at the time, but it seems like a guy like him shouldve flourished with that team.

Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There were definitely some on these boards butI never really understood that.

I wonder if Quenville never really liked him because he was getting 3rd pairing minutes when he was still capable of top 4 duties or that he was a 5 or 6 in terms of depth on that team. I forget what their pairings were at the time, but it seems like a guy like him shouldve flourished with that team.

Q hated Daley because he wanted to skate with the puck instead of passing it up quickly to the F's. Just a different system that Q employed that Daley didn't fit.
Plus I think I remember that Q preferred Daley on the other side, whereas Daley wasn't as comfortable.

Certainly a case of a good player stuck in the incorrect system. And I say "incorrect" meaning he didn't fit..not that Q's system was wrong/bad/incorrect

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What is confusing? There’s a reason why Rutherford is able to be so flexible with the roster when things don’t work. If you always try to make the other guy look bad or take them for all they’re worth, then you have the one trade to hang your hat on but you run out of opportunities in the future. Not saying that approach is always necessary, but it’s not a bad principle.

Shero grifts other GMs so often that I don't know why they continue to trade with him. I guess he's a good bser.

It was the one thing he was exceptional at. The man was cripplingly bad with choosing coaches and being too loyal to them. Kinda funny to see him continuing to do that in NJ with Hynes. He has no good reason to keep Hynes who has had zero success since coming there and is multiple years in but Shero would rather go down with his coach than replace him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The idea of firing JR was a stupid one then as it still is now.

I like JR as a GM, the guy makes mistakes but also actively tries to fix it and is constantly looking at improving the team when he can. He's real about it, not just blowing smoke up our ass and then doing something else.

That was Shero's thing and what he's continuing to do in NJ.

He has his issues, but the good outweighs the bad, there's no perfect GM and there never will be one.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
His last few moves were phenomenal. Doing everything with purpose and building something special. Maatta deal gave us a pick, gave us more than 3M of capspace and gave us a very promising young winger that fits our system like a glove. Marino is an absolute steal. He got rid of Guddy and Phil at the right time. Signed Tanev who is a superman now. Basically Maatta+6th for Marino+Kahun+Tanev +5th. Think about it. Unreal unreal stuff. This last summer was legendary. But it started before with Brassard+Sheahan for McCann+Bjugstad trade. Now do some magic with Galchesuck.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Fun fact: He is the only GM to win SC with 2 different franchises since O6 era (I didn't care to look beyond that).

Also only 5 other GMs managed to get into finals with 2
different franchises in that period:
Jim Rutherford (2 CAR, 2 PIT)
Bryan Murray (1 ANA, 1 FLA)
George McPhee (1 WSH, 1 VGK)
Bobby Clarke (3 PHI, 1 DAL)
Scott Bownman (2 STL, 2 DET as co-GM)
Glen Sather (6 EDM, 1 NYR)

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
What's so funny is the complete, 100%, "couldn't possibly be wrong" tone of some of these posts.

Never change HFB.

Reactions: ncm7772

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Having Sid and Geno and MAF and Letang from the get go is what makes the Shero era so f'n disappointing. Bringing back Bylsma cost this franchise big time and we are seeing his rebuild in NJ much harder to do without generational talents to start with. Not his fault he had picks that were not big time talents. GMJR has the window to win now and two cups certainly buys him time. Pens luck has been so bad with injuries yet Pens have a shot to be a player in the playoffs. One major or at least a couple decent deals will be made to help the cause. Name me another GM who has done better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad