Jim Robson Division Finals - Baltimore Skipjacks (1) vs St John's Maple Leafs (3)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
In real life certain players are in better positions to score. Hell, every player was in some level of better/worse conditions to score. You want to know why Ziggy Palffy didn't have a better VsX? He played on terrible teams. Mostly gawd awful rosters. You can't quantify that in numbers but that doesn't mean you (or anyone for that matter) should just plug hard numbers in and then say, "well, that's basically the best we can do". Put Palffy on say the Avalanche and I think he's an 85-90 VsX player post career. He was that talented/skilled. People just didn't get to see it much and those who did saw Palffy skating with a lot of low hanging fruit. He's not Jagr, obviously. But like BB (IMO accurately) states about Cournoyer, conditions can absolutely impact statistical output, suppress superior skill. Conversely being in the right place (Ken Hodge) can inflate an inferior player's offensive resume.

I agree that satiations matter, but there are always more than just 1 factor. Better team means a lot of things change, and that makes an entirely unpredictable impact. There's a reason bad teams often have one really high scoring player - because he gets opportunities he normally wouldn't get, and he doesn't have responsibilities or the pressure of playing in important games.

Place Ziggy Palffy on a better team and he does get better linemates. He also doesn't get to average 21 minutes of ice time over his career, including almost 5 minutes on the PP. Does that make his scoring go up or down?

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I agree that satiations matter, but there are always more than just 1 factor. Place Ziggy Palffy on a better team and he does get better linemates. He also doesn't get to average 21 minutes of ice time over his career, including almost 5 minutes on the PP. Does that make his scoring go up or down?

Who was he playing w/ on the PP on those crappy teams? :naughty:

If he's playing with Sakic and company in Colorado, doesn't that help him tremendously, ES or ST's?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Who was he playing w/ on the PP on those crappy teams? :naughty:

Not a lot, but the PP is a situation that relies partly on system. Most PKs are so passive that even bad PPs get huge amounts of time in the offensive zone.

Edit: I looked up who he played with on the PPs

Islanders, he played junk. Travis Green, then Robert Reichel. Matthiew Schneider/Bryan McCabe, then Bryan Berard/Kenny Johnsson.

Kings, he played with some good guys - he actually never led them in PP points. Luc Robitaille for the whole time. Rob Blake followed by Schneider again. Jason Allison and Jaro Modry.

If he's playing with Sakic and company in Colorado, doesn't that help him tremendously, ES or ST's?

Oh, he would score more per minute... but he would also lose like 1/3 of his minutes. I'm not sure his raw totals change much.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Baltimore's 4th line pivot, Sloan, has a 7-year vs.x of 70.

And his right winger was a 40-goal scorer.

The 3rd line left winger, Metz, was an important part of a Leaf dynasty, 3rd in goals in two cup postseasons, leading the team in game-winning goals the first time, despite being renowned for his defensive play.

So, when trailing, a line of Metz - Sloan - Foligno could fly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->