pittsburgh-ac-red-and-white-back-jpg.340202

Coach: Pete Green

Captain: Scott Stevens
Alternate: Bobby Orr
Alternate: Yvan Cournoyer
Alternate: Joe Malone

ROSTER:

Johnny Bucyk - Joe Malone (A) - Vladimir Martinec

Bun Cook - Jacques Lemaire - Yvan Cournoyer (A)
Rusty Crawford - Dale Hawerchuk - Glenn Anderson

Nick Metz - Phil Goyette - Bill Guerin

Spares: Dave Poulin, Alex Tanguay

Scott Stevens (C) - Bobby Orr (A)
Jacques Laperriere - Earl Seibert
Flash Hollett - Ken Morrow

Spares: Gennadiy Tsygankov

Johnny Bower
Hap Holmes

Special Teams:

PP1

Malone
Seibert - Cournoyer - Bucyk
Orr

PP2

Martinec - Lemaire - Anderson/Hawerchuk
Hawerchuk/Orr - Hollett

PK1

Cook - Metz
Stevens - Orr

PK2

Goyette/Poulin - Crawford/Martinec
Laperriere - Morrow/Tsygankov

Kachina-1180x598-1bc338ed82.jpg

Coach: Anatoli Tarasov

Busher Jackson --- Cyclone Taylor --- Daniel Alfredsson
Dean Prentice --- Newsy Lalonde (A) --- Mickey MacKay
Jack Walker --- Pit Lepine --- Eddie Oatman
Gordon Roberts --- Tommy Smith --- David Backes

Ebbie Goodfellow (A) --- Dit Clapper (C)
Ken Reardon --- Jack Crawford
Frank Patrick --- Lennart Svedberg

Patrick Roy
Hugh Lehman

Spares: Bruce MacGregor (RW/C), Glen Harmon (D), Patrick Sharp (F)

PP1: Jackson - Lalonde - Smith - Taylor - Goodfellow
PP2: Clapper - MacKay - Roberts - Patrick - Alfredsson

PK1: Lepine - Walker - Reardon - Clapper
PK2: MacKay - Prentice - Goodfellow - Crawford

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Shocking no one based on my roster setup from the last two rounds, I'm going to make some adjustments

Walker will draw in a C

Edit: I'll post my adjustments this evening

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Making some adjustments for this matchup:

*Poulin is in for Goyette and will play on the PK

*Tanguay is in for Guerin and will play 3LW w/Crawford dropping to 4th line and super utility man Metz shifting to 4RW

*Tsygankov is in for Hollett and will rotate with Morrow on 2nd PK unit

* 3 Fresh legs after both teams endured grueling 1st round match ups is a big + in this series

Coach: Pete Green

Captain: Scott Stevens
Alternate: Bobby Orr
Alternate: Yvan Cournoyer
Alternate: Joe Malone

ROSTER:

FORWARDS:

Johnny Bucyk - Joe Malone (A) - Vladimir Martinec

(21 minutes)

Bun Cook - Jacques Lemaire - Yvan Cournoyer (A)
(16 minutes)

Alex Tanguay - Dale Hawerchuk - Glenn Anderson
(14 minutes)

Rusty Crawford - Dave Poulin - Nick Metz

(9 minutes)

Spares:

Phil Goyette

Bill Guerin

DEFENSEMEN:

Scott Stevens (C) - Bobby Orr (A)
Orr - 30 minutes

Stevens - 26 minutes

Jacques Laperriere - Earl Seibert
Seibert - 26 minutes
Laperriere - 24 minutes

Gennadiy Tsygankov - Ken Morrow
Tsygankov - 10 minutes
Morrow - 4 minutes

Spares:

Flash Hollett

GOALIES:

Johnny Bower

Hap Holmes

SPECIAL TEAMS:

PP1

Malone

Seibert - Cournoyer - Bucyk

Orr

PP2

Martinec - Lemaire - Anderson/Hawerchuk
Hawerchuk/Orr - Laperriere

*Orr will rotate with Hawerchuk on the 2nd unit to keep him as fresh as possible for ES. If Orr comes on Hawerchuk will move up to replace Anderson.

PK1

Cook - Metz
Stevens - Orr

*When leading by 1 or more, Laperriere will move up to 1st unit and Orr down to 2nd.
Another way to manufacture Orr an extra shift at ES

PK2

Poulin - Crawford/Martinec
Laperriere - Morrow
Tsygankov

*Martinec will play on this unit if trailing

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
This will be the lineup for the Coyotes during this series

Busher Jackson --- Cyclone Taylor --- Daniel Alfredsson
Dean Prentice --- Newsy Lalonde (A) --- Mickey MacKay
Jack Walker --- Tommy Smith --- Eddie Oatman
Gordon Roberts --- Pit Lepine --- David Backes

Advantages for the Coyotes

1) Goaltending: IE as someone who's had Roy in the past and previously said this I'd be surprised if you could even spin this from a massive advantage for the Coyotes. Picking Roy led to a strategy by which I know with the greatest goaltender of all time as long as I get acceptable defenseman for their slots my coach won't need to worry. Even if you think Bower should be just behind Vezina and Benedict at 24 teams that's an average goalie at best while he's going to have to outduel the greatest goalie of all time and more relevant the greatest playoff goalie (and maybe player) of all time.

All the nice stuff you said about him in 2018 with the tables is at the following link 2018 ATD Finals! Pittsburgh Bankers (1) vs New York Americans (2)

Goalies:

-To me this is where the series is truly decided. The Bankers have already faced and defeated Ken Dryden and Turk Broda. Both of whom are superior to Bernie Parent in regular and post season accolades (Dryden very much so).

Patrick Roy is the greatest goalie of all time in the minds of most. He combines a very good regular season resume with the greatest postseason career ever by any netminder and only Wayne Gretzky is definitively ahead of him when you bring skaters into the mix (and i personally don't think the gap is very large).

Roy's value (and goalies in general) has been underrated for years around here. In large part because we've never really addressed the fact that goalies are on the ice for 60 (or more) minutes a game. There value (positive or negative) goes well beyond simply stopping shots. No one position is on a bigger island than goalie. No one position can swing the momentum for his team like goalie. And here, Roy swings the pendulum greatly in Pittsburgh's favor. His presence, confidence and resume allows his skaters to be more relaxed in front of him and puts an added burden on the opposing team knowing they're facing an elite goalie, especially in a best of 7 type series.

The Bankers possess a massive advantage in net. That's not a knock on Parent, who was a fine netminder and obviously gets serious points for his 2 Conn Smythe runs but other than 1974 and 1975 his career is void of any real ATD value. That's not being harsh, it's simple reality. Parent in a 24 team draft is at best below average here. And Parent played for the broad street bullies. I don't see the Americans being able to play that style with their roster make up or with Tarasov

Roy blows him away no matter what area you look at. Better Hart record, better AS record, better Vezina record, his adjusted regular season SV% is elite (see graph below thank you Hockey Outsider and Q from HoH for these studies) and shows just how dominant he was beyond the postseason. He has elite longevity, his peak was longer and more sustained. And he carried multiple teams on his back to Stanley Cups in Montreal.

2) Offense from forwards: Initially point of order, IE listed the VsX scores of all teams in our division in his roster post which is cool enough....but he listed it for all 12-14 forwards on a roster to show how close he got his forwards in VsX to his rivals despite drafting 3D at the start. Why is this a problem? Well he includes Tanguay who hasn't even dressed in a series and Poulin who also wasn't listed in his RS post. Why is this a problem? Well as overpass noted, my opponent's team is loaded with players who get overrated by the VsX method of ranking and comparing offence at forward. Malone has passable offence for a 1C but nothing else. Taylor and Lalonde are unquestionably the best offensive forwards in this series. You can argue that Malone is close, but they're both ahead and have better longevity as star players and offensive weapons.

Joe Malone specifically is not a good playoff performer. He "won" 2 cups with Quebec in 1912 & 1913 but the NHA refused to allow challenges for the cup from the PCHA which had an increasing amount of talent. So Malone won the cup and defended it against the Moncton Victorias and the Sydney Millionaires from the Maritime Professional League. For a great player his playoff record is horrible and especially compared to most 1Cs.

Malone's RS offense is impressive, but Arizona has Tommy Smith who scored similarly as Malone in the NHA leading into the NHL but since he was 4 years older retired before the NHL. (apologize for the formatting, this is from my spreadsheet where I try and recreate Iain Fyffe's work and need a bunch of delimiters)

SeasonPlayerPosGPGAPoints
1912-1913Quebec Hockey ClubJoe MaloneCenter2043548
1912-1913Quebec Hockey ClubTommy SmithCenter1939241
1913-1914Quebec Hockey ClubTommy SmithCenter2039645
1913-1914Quebec Hockey ClubJoe MaloneCenter1924428
1914-1915Quebec Hockey ClubTommy SmithCenter923225
1914-1915Quebec Hockey ClubJoe MaloneCenter1216521
1914-1915Toronto Ontarios/ShamrocksTommy SmithCenter1017219
1915-1916Quebec Hockey ClubJoe MaloneCenter24251035
1915-1916Quebec Hockey ClubTommy SmithCenter2216319
1916-1917Quebec Hockey ClubJoe MaloneCenter1941748
1916-1917Montreal CanadiensTommy SmithCenter149312
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
3) Defense from forwards: To compliment our defence and Patrick Roy, we have a suite of two-way and checking forwards like MacKay/Walker/Prentice/Lepine/Oatman/Roberts with three of them lining up against Bobby Orr/Earl Seibert at RD. Outside of Malone Pittsburgh doesn't have any forwards that need to be gameplanned for so we're comfortable stacking the deck against Orr/Seibert. Pittsburgh doesn't have any of the pieces up front needed to slow down all the offensive weapons at the forward group that Arizona has.

4) Team Balance: As @overpass pointed out during your last series, teams just don't succeed with this sort of unorthodox balance. You're relying so heavily on Bobby Orr and Seibert to drive your team's offense and kind of have to by virtue of how you drafted 3D at the start. Orr doesn't have an Esposito to help him out relative to the teams they had their success on your defensemen are shorthanded on help.

Other Comments

You'd previously said that defending their own end that you believed Clapper was of a similar class as Brad Park because of his general playstyle and his intangibles. I appreciate the general kind words about my 1D. I assure you Orr is far better, but Stevens definitely isn't.

Park is probably 10-12 spots better than Clapper but again Clapper's intangibles are through the roof, he has a peak that, IMO rivals Park on D (Clapper was thought of as every bit as good as Eddie Shore was from 1938 through 1941, and won the equivalent of 2 Norris trophies as determined by TDMM and others and had 2 Hart finalist nods). Obviously Park did it better on D for longer, but that's in large part because Clapper spent the first 2/3 of his career as an AS caliber RW. Either way, you're ahead all together. It's a decided advantage but comes with some caveats IMO.

Since Arizona has to play their bottom pairing a reasonable amount since we can't lean on 2 top pairings quite as well I think you summed it up pretty well here. Frank Patrick played with Griffis a noted rushing defenceman so playing him with Svedberg shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Frank Patrick, to me is the best player on either pairing. He's paired with a longtime teammate in Si Griffis. So again you have a real life chemistry advantage for Pittsburgh. And a pair that's actually going to be on the ice a lot more because Joe Hall is one of the most violent/PIM'd players in the entire ATD.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I will be getting my overview in this evening/night. Busy week and I have my son this weekend so my time is quite limited.

If you are voting, please hold off until Sunday at least. I haven't forgot to get at least some semblance of an argument for Pittsburgh lol.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I will be getting my overview in this evening/night. Busy week and I have my son this weekend so my time is quite limited.

If you are voting, please hold off until Sunday at least. I haven't forgot to get at least some semblance of an argument for Pittsburgh lol.

Oh good, I was going to PM you and check to see if everything was okay. You were uncharacteristically quiet

Glad to hear nothing happened, my time is limited sunday/monday so we might not get much back and forth

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Oh good, I was going to PM you and check to see if everything was okay. You were uncharacteristically quiet

Glad to hear nothing happened, my time is limited sunday/monday so we might not get much back and forth

Yeah, sorry bud. I mean honestly as I said earlier this draft I wouldn't be as long winded as I normally am. That's just me not quite having the same gusto, in part because I am busier with this new job and this weekend I am spending time with my son and that is limited as it is so I like to take advantage of that first and foremost.

But I have typed up some stuff and just need to organize it so it doesn't look insanely scattered haha.

Will have it up at some point this evening/tonight. I'd wager between 7-11 PM EST.

Thanks bud!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Coaching:

Green:

I actually think Tarasov and Green are very similar in a lot of respects.

Consider both coached and built rosters during the earliest era of the sport in their respective nations.
Both were clearly innovative minds.

Green using multiple systems, specifically of his own design to essentially dominate the NHA/NHL during a good portion of his coaching tenure. What essentially was the birth of the neutral zone trap being his most famous style w/Nighbor and company in the 20’s.

He was the person responsible for making Cyclone Taylor a rushing Defensemen to take advantage of his speed and skill. Those teams, and later w/Hamby Shore saw a style of play where a blueliners was often responsible for transitioning the puck from back to front.

A real key being, Green preached and made sure to hold a forward back to cover up for the Dman rushing or when the other team possessed great skating ability.

Players like Sprague Cleghorn, King Clancy and Jack Darragh, among others were found and developed by Green himself and they speak of his tutelage as a major reason for their HOF careers. So he wasn’t just a great coach from a tactical standpoint, he clearly had an eye for talent and knew what it took to develop said talent.

You clearly see his impact on the team from a physical conditioning (like Tarasov) standpoint. It’s in the bio during the first and second dynasties. Ottawa attributed a lot of their success to the incredible conditioning their players were in relative to other teams.

With Green I look at his coaching careers as follows:

ATD2020 Bio Thread
bio for anyone who wants to verify these answers

Was he the best coach of his era?
-Yes, rather easily.

Was his win/loss record (regular and postseason combined) the best of his era?
-Yes, rather easily (pre consolidation).

144-80-4 - .632 W%
(Just barely behind Toe Blake and vastly ahead of Lester Patrick, Tommy Gorman, Cecil Hart, etc)

GF - 1,072
GA - 759
+313

5 TIME SC CHAMPION (1909, 1911, 1920, 1921, 1923)

Was he universally loved/respected?
-Yes.

Players loved playing for him and he commanded enormous respect and ran a tight ship. Lester Patrick and Tommy Gorman specifically cite Green as their mentors coming up in the game. Again, you can clearly see he was beloved with many players speaking highly of the man.

Was he innovative? And if so to what degree?
-Absolutely a yes. Explained in very detailed fashion in the bio from last year but you can see the main bullet points above.

Consider his trap system was quite literally attempted to be legislated out of the NHL because it was so effective. Even in the Bun Cook bio I did this year, you see mentions of Pete Green’s “kitty bar the door” tactics being used by NHL coaches and variations of that system are still used to this very day.

He used conservative tactics. Full on assault, physical, finesses style of play. He used specific wingers to match opposing star F’s (shadowing) which is highlighted during his 2nd stint as coach.

He’s both praised pre/post death by many all-time great players and coaches for his talents as a coach/leader of men. It’s significant contemporary praise which helps validate the overall reputation.

Tarasov:

I honestly don’t know how to rank Tarasov as definitively as his peers. I’m quite certain he’s a top 10 coach of all time. Maybe he’s even top 5.

How much of the actual coaching did he do for the National Team post 1960? I could use a refresher there to be honest. I know he was the assistant to Chernyshev through 1974 so was he the one actually making tactical adjustments on the fly and coaching in the manner we all consider to be normal? I can’t remember if Chernyshev was just a figurehead on the bench or not. Maybe @Theokritos or @namba17 can weigh in for clarification.

I think the building of the Soviet program from the ground up, the tactical innovations, player development are elite all time.

I just don’t know how to place a relative value on his long time coaching in the formative years in domestic leagues while he held an assistant coach for the National squad after 1960, until 1974 without knowing in detail how much actual coaching he did on the International stage.

I don’t exactly find championships in the 1950’s and 60’s domestically to be all that impressive considering the quality and depth of the league didn’t really start to take off until the mid to late 60’s and then exploded in the early 70’s.

I mean 1940’s and 50’s Soviet hockey has be similar to 1890’s and turn over the century hockey in North America no? And it’s not like other nations were presenting significantly advanced hockey, those nations who the Soviets would have faced on the world stage. They were NA amateurs for instance.

Pete Green's tenure in a league that didn't consolidate all the talent on one/two rosters, impresses me more than 40's and 50's domestic Soviet hockey. You'd have to get into the 60's before I feel right lining up 1910-1924 North American counterparts.

As a hockey "builder" Tarasov is on the Mount Rushmore IMO. And I do think he’s securely in the top 10 all time as a coach.

But I also think Green’s a top 10 coach all time.

Show me 10 coaches who have the winning %, the titles, the innovations tactically that have lasted 100 years, player development, and post career praise that Green accomplished. I’ve looked pretty hard and you’d be hard pressed to convince me it’s possible with the updated knowledge we have now.

Coaching is a wash in this series IMO though I'm guessing that's still a minority opinion despite the updated bio on Green.

Issues with Tarasov and Arizona’s Roster Construction:

HT hit on this briefly in the first round and it needs to be addressed further IMO.

Taylor and Lalonde are a FANTASTIC 1-2 punch all time. Offensive dynamos.

But do they really fit a Soviet system?

They were offensive first players, in large part because they were so damn good vs their peers and to use them in another manner would be irresponsible. However, the fact remains neither were known as consistent difference makers defensively speaking. I think both are responsible certainly but good or better in an all-time sense.

You have to remember that Tarasov was an insanely strict authoritarian. His style was very unique and freewheeling north and south players don’t generally fit his MO.

-Look at the KLM line in the 80’s.

-Petrov was a strong defensive presence post 1972 and was the main defensive conscience on his great lines no?

-Bobrov in the early years of Tarasov’s career was a winger, the dominant player of the era.

-Kharlamov and Maltsev were artistic wingers and the prime scorers generally speaking.

Tarasov said the “best player on the team should be the C” however his idea of best player was someone who had universal value on the rink. At least that’s how I interpret his teachings. I mean he called Bob Gainey the most complete hockey player on the planet.

Here in North America we consider “best” often to be the guy who scores the most points but Tarasov’s own quotes over the years often cites players who weren’t the top scoring dogs as the most important aspect of a unit.

Yes, Taylor and Lalonde are impressive as a 1-2 duo. They bring elite wheels. Certainly very strong offense for a top and second line.

I just don’t think they’re going to fit Tarasov’s system THAT well.

I’m clearly not trying to say these are awful fits, or even average. Just not exactly the types I'd see Tarasov running out 1-2.

Taylor is a good 1st line C in a draft this size. Lalonde is an elite 2nd line presence. Offensively they bring a ton of value to this roster. I simply don’t think rolling those 2 C’s back to back jives strongly with the Soviet system but at the end of the day they can skate (especially Taylor) and are strong offensive players and top 50 players of all time so I think Tarasov will take that and run.

Tommy Smith:

Is, at best, a below average defensive player here. There’s more evidence in his bio of loafing and TDMM, I think, accurately states it seems very early in his career, would back check responsibly, but the bulk of it, he seems to be not regarded that well.

You can’t have loafers in a Tarasov system. That much I do know and he strikes me as a very odd choice for a 4th line role under a coach like Tarasov.

Tommy Smith was also a hockey mercenary. How well is he going to like playing in an extremely strict environment? Smith was about money above all else.

Straight from the man’s mouth himself:

Pulled from Wiki
Much like his older brother Harry, Tommy Smith was a mercenary when it came to club loyalty, playing for a number of different teams both in Canada and in the United States. In December 1914, when he still had not reached terms with the Toronto Ontarios/Shamrocks franchise, he claimed the location where he played was secondary to the financial aspect of the game:

"There is a big margin between us, I'll play here or in Mexico if the money is strong enough. I don't care where I play. This story about my not wanting to play anywhere else but Ottawa is not correct."

Busher Jackson:

Don’t recall hearing anything positive about his defensive game and IIRC those Leafs teams floundered in the playoffs in the 30’s at least in part because their F’s didn’t back check well enough.

Consider the Leafs goals against finishes from 30-31 through Jackson’s last year there in 38-39:

30-31 – 6th out of 10 (upset by Chicago in round 1. Jackson 0 points in 2 games)
31-32 – 6th out of 8 (won SC this year, Jackson’s only win. He dominated w/series best 7 points in 5 games)
32-33 – 5th out of 9 (Lost to NYR in SCF. Jackson had 0 points in 4 SCF games)
33-34 – 5th out of 9 (upset by Det in round 1. Jackson had 1 point in 5 games)
34-35 – 3rd out of 9 (massive upset by Montreal Maroons in SCF. Jackson had 1 point in 3 games)
35-36 – 5th out of 8 (Lost to Det in SCF. Jackson 2 points in 4 games. That was tied for 5th on team)
36-37 – 6th out of 8 (Lost to NYR in round 1. Jackson 1 point in 2 games. Leafs only scored 1 goal total)
37-38 – 4th out of 8 (Massive upset by Chicago in SCF. Jackson had 1 point in 4 games. Tied for 7th)
38-39 – 3rd out of 7 (Got crushed by much better Boston team in SCF. Jackson 1 point in 3 games. Tied for 5th)

Outside of Jackson’s big SCF in 1932, he and the Leafs really underachieved in the playoffs. It’s not a secret lack of care towards defensive positioning and conscience was partly to blame.

Jackson in all other SCF’s (losses) had 5 points in 18 games w/Toronto. In his final season of his career w/Boston he scored 0 points over a 4 game sweep by Detroit in the finals.

Jackson was a big and very well built player but there is nothing highlighting his forechecking prowess. I see the word aggressive and a sight physically speaking. A little bit about him willing to fight but his game away from the puck is not really highlighted in any legit manner.

Did he backcheck? Doesn’t say he’s awful, nor good, but the under performance of so many Leafs teams and the goals against put me in the camp that he was subpar or at best average.

Mickey MacKay:

For starters he’s playing a secondary position, which is an issue for 2 reasons.

One, I’d like to see a specific breakdown of how many games he actually played at RW. I see the bio you did this year has W listed in the back 3rd of his career a good bit but it also mentions he played both sides w/no real breakdown as to how many times he was on the right or left or rover, etc.

Something along the lines I did with Nels Stewart a few years back. I went game by game to figure out exactly how many games (or at least very close) he had played at LW over a 2 years stretch. The more in depth you go, the more validity a conclusion has.

Secondly, and this is the most important issue with Mac at RW is the loss of some of his defensive value.

We’re pretty certain his style of play was that of a neutral ice pick pocket. His 2014 bio points this out. He played the center of the ice defensively like Nighbor and Boucher so that isn’t really going to work well with him on the right flank here.

And until I see that he played multiple seasons at RW (or at least a cumulative amount of games) I think giving him a standard offensive rating is trickier because the bulk of his career was at C/R.

Either way, I think Tarasov would certainly enjoy a player like MacKay but he’s the type of talent who would have been used down the middle IMO.

Top 4 Defensemen?

Not exactly sure Tarasov would role out the pairings as RB has done here. 2 offensive first guys on the top pair, a rambunctious #3, not a great skater, paired with a more stay at home type, though again, not sure he was much of a skater either. Just seems like a mismatch given the Soviet pairings of the 60's and 70's. I could be wrong though certainly as my Soviet knowledge is less than many.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Top 6 Offensive Values: (VsX7 and ES VsX)

Pittsburgh's Top Line:

Malone = *95.0 VsX7 - *64 ES VsX
(Dreak calculated Malone at 95 or 96 IIRC and I took 95 x .33 to come up with estimated ES VsX)

Bucyk = 88.7 VsX7- 60 ES VsX
Martinec = *82.5 VsX7 - *56 ES VsX

(I think this score is low considering that puts him on an Alfredsson level and I don't think Alf is the same class of offensive winger as Martinec. There is enough video evidence and international stats, especially against the Soviets and NA to put me in the camp this score undervalues Martinec. But hey I was told 85-90 seemed too high so compromises must be made in life. 82.5 x .33 got me ESVsX)

Pittsburgh Top Line = 266.2 VsX7 - 180 ES VsX

Arizon's Top Line:

Taylor = *105.0 VsX7 - *70 ES VsX
(Puts him slightly over Crosby and right between Mikita and Beliveau. I think this is more than fair. 105 x .33 got me ES VsX)

Jackson = 89.5 - *59 ES VsX
(89.5 x .33 for ES VsX)

Alfredsson = 82.3 - 55 ES VsX

Arizona's Top Line = 276.8 VsX7 - 184 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 2nd Line:

Cook = 76.3 VsX7 - *51 ES VsX
*76.3 x .33 to represent 33% PP scoring which is probably high. Trying to be unbiased

Lemaire = 77.9 VsX7 - 55 ES VsX
Cournoyer = 77.1 - 48 ES VsX

Pittsburgh's Second Line = 231.3 VsX7 - 154 ES VsX

Arizona's 2nd Line:

Lalonde = *100.0 VsX7 - *67 ESVsX
(pretty sure I saw Dreak come up with a 98 something but I’ll round Newsy up to an even Ben Franklin. 100 x .33 to represent PP scoring)

MacKay = *80.0 VsX7 - *54 ES VsX

Prentice = 67.0 VsX7 - 51 ES VsX

Arizona's Second Line = 247.0 VsX7 - 172 ES VsX

I’m sure RB will kick and scream over this but 80 is at least close. Consider:

Mickey MacKay Non Consolidated finishes of:

2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 6, 9, 10th x 3

Joe Malone Non Consolidated Finishes of:
1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 4*, 5, 6, 7, 13**

*1920-21 - Malone finished 4th outright but missed 4 games. 37 points in 20 games. 1.85 x 4 = 7.4
Adding another 7 points to his total would have seen him win the scoring title by 1 point over Lalonde

**1914-15 - Malone finished 13th but missed 8 of the 20 games. He had 21 goals in 12 games. 1.75 x 8 = 15. He would have finished 3rd overall with a full slate of games at the pace he set through 12 games.

Then consider MacKay played his entire career for the Millionaire, the most stacked hockey rosters outside of the Pete Green 20's Senators.

Further consider he’s playing away from his primary position (C/R) over at RW. This matters.

And until we get a much more detailed version of the scoring/game breakdowns of his time at RW, you can’t legitimately assign a max value to MacKay given the bulk of his career did come at C/R.

Could he be worth more than a relative 80? Sure, but I'm not convinced he is as of now.

Plus, as I’ve already highlighted as did @Hawkey town last series, MacKay loses a good bit of his defensive value as he was a neutral zone poke/hook check artist. He molded that style after Nighbor and playing RW robs his ability to play in that C ice area.

Honestly, how much of a gap is there between MacKay as a RW and Cournoyer as a RW?

The latter of which is playing with his real life linemates of multiple seasons, the best seasons of their career came skating together, including a pair of SC's (71 and 73) which saw them post great postseason numbers and Cournoyer win a Conn Smythe (73)

Canadians1958 and @BenchBrawl fully fleshed out the myth of Guy Lafleur inflating their numbers.
Here you can see C1958 (watched his entire career) pointing out that Lemaire was actually great at generating transition.

Cournoyer vs Lemaire

Pretince is Weak as 2nd Line Player:
Very legit argument he’s the worst 2nd liner on either squad considering his offensive output is below Cook’s and Cook can lay claim to being one of the best defensive wingers of his era and an elite PK’er. These are fully detailed by both in by bio done this year via game reports and contemporary praise outside NY.

You can’t say Prentice is a better skater. Not better offensively. If you want to shave some points from Cook to get them even, no big deal. Prentice is not better defensively. Cook's bio puts him ahead IMO. Just way more total info on the defensive/PK game to include contemporary praise from cities outside NY. Cook played on multiple Cup winners so experience in this environment favors Cook.

Cook’s clearly a better PK’er considering his PK ability is specifically talked about as being as good or better than anyone by papers outside NY and was compared to elite HOF’ers in his ability to rag the puck on the kill. He was also clearly being used a lot on the kill before he even set foot in the NHL when he was out west in the WCHL.

Prentice doesn’t show up on the special teams report usage chart for the kill so I’m assuming he was under 30% for his career. He scored 16 points on the kill in well over 1300 games so he clearly wasn’t much of a threat to register for you there.

And furthermore, putting a weak offensive player like Pretenic on the line, makes it easier to defend for Pittsburgh and that's fine by me, considering the back end Pittsburgh has. Prentice is weak and MacKay in a secondary position which strips him of at least a little bit of his overall value.

Arizona's Top 6 = 276.8 + 247.0 = 523.8 VsX7 - 356 ES VsX

Pittsburgh's Top 6 =
266.2 + 231.3 = 497.5 - 334 ES VsX

Top 9 Offensive Value (VsX7 and ES VsX):

Pittsburgh 3rd Line:

Tanguay = 73.4 VsX7 – 58 ES VsX
Hawerchuk = 86.0 VsX7 – 58 ES VsX
Anderson = 72.9 VsX7 – 55 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 3rd Line = 232.3 - 171 ES

Arizona's 3rd Line:

Walker = *60.0 VsX7 – 48 ES VsX
(60 x .20 to represent 20% of scoring on PP which is likely generous considering guys played most/all of the game so they’d have been on the ice essentially any time there was a man advantage situation.

(Two 4th place finishes and 8, 9, 9 , 10 in non-consolidated leagues is not impressive for me to get him out of the 60 range and it’s not like he wasn’t skating with some serious talent on his rosters. Here he's playing a pure checking role. I think 60 is extremely generous and ES score slightly generous.)

Lepine = 52.9 VsX7 – 47 ES VsX*
(52.9 x .10 which is essentially giving him nothing on the PP. Trying to be generous w/these scores. BTW, Lepine's VsX7 is legit, using yearly benchmarks)

Oatman = *65.0 VsX7 – *52 ES VsX
(65 x .20)

Compare his scoring finishes in the PCHA to Smokey Harris who IIRC comes in via Dreak at 67.2

Harris Consolidated:
3rd(1921), 4th(1919), 7th(1920), 8th(1913), 17th(1917),

Oatman Consolidated:
7th(1920), 9th(1918), 11th(1912), 11th(1914), 12th(1915), 12th(1916), 12th(1919), 15th(1917)

You can see Harris clearly has the peak advantage w/Oatman sustaining that depth scoring ability longer. These 2 should come in very close to another another. I'm sure Dreak will correct me if this is off by more than a few points either way.

Arizona's 3rd Line = 177.9 - 147 ES

Pittsburgh's Top 9 = 266.2 + 231.3 + 232.3 = 729.8 overall - 505 ES VsX

Arizona's Top 9
= 172.9 (3rd line) + 523.8 (Top 6) = 701.7 VsX7 - 503 ES VsX

Overview:

Pittsburgh bridges the offensive gap with a very strong 3rd line, pulling ahead in overall VsX and getting even at ES.

Factoring in Orr:

Pittsburgh Top Line + Orr = 381.0 VsX7 - 244 ES VsX
(Orr is 114.8 VsX7 and 64 ES VsX)

Arizona Top Line + Clapper = 327.8 VsX 7 - 225 ES VsX
(51.0 for Clapper x .20 for estimated ES VsX)

**I’m not giving Clapper a 73.7 as he is shown to have in the VsX study because that includes his many years at RW where he was a 2 time AS and had scoring finishes there of 3rd and 8th overall in the league. He finished 2, 3, 8, 10 in goals scored.

He’d have to play an all out kamikaze style to get near that mark from D and playing next to Goodfellow, that’s not a great strategy, as you’re robbing him of his best attribute and that’s offense from the back.

So I compared him to Seibert directly and looked at the time their D careers overlapped 1937-38 and 1944-45

Seibert’s VsX (per the yearly benchmarks) = 45.8
Seibert = 181 in 366 = 0.49 PPG

Clapper = 187 in 346 = 0.54 PPG

51.0 seems like the correct score considering they posted almost identical point totals over the same time period. I gave Clapper a 5% boost from Clapper’s 45.8.

This illustrates, extremely well why Pittsburgh doesn’t have near the issues at producing offense among F’s and furthermore explodes past Arizona once you factor Orr into the equation.

Pittsburgh's 2nd Line + Orr = 346.1 VsX7 - 218 ES VsX

Arizona's 2nd Line + Ckapper = 298.0 VsX7 - 213 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 3rd Line + Orr = 347.1 VsX7 - 235 ES VsX

Arizona's 3rd Line = 228.9 VsX7 - 147 ES VsX

Overview:

I shouldn't need to illustrate very much how much Orr impacts and tilts the ice.

Pitt pulls well ahead on the 1st and 2nd lines w/Orr factored in and they demolish Arizona head head on the 3rd line.

And skating with Stevens, he is in prime position to play a major and maximum offensive output role.

Looking At Rest Of Top 4 Dmen Offensively:

Ebbie Goodfellow:

*51.0 VsX 7 estimate (his PPG is 4% better than Seibert and Seibert has an official score of 45.8)
35-36 through 42-43 (time spent as D)

131 points in 284 games = 0.46

Goodfellow is a very slightly better offensive player from the blueline. So again, if you’re giving 4-5 points above Seiberts official score of 45.8, you’re at 50/51 relative VsX for EG.

Scott Stevens:

Has an official 52.4 VsX 7

Now of course that includes his years from Washington when he was actually a good puck mover and point producer so his playing style here would obviously bring that number down somewhat.

With that being said, Goodfellow is almost surely seeing a drop from 50/51 as he’s not going to be the primary puck mover from the back end. Certainly not in any consistent manner. And Stevens is next to Orr so that alone is boosting his potential output. So as I've said forever, context is everywhere.

Either way you can clearly see, while Goodfellow and Clapper is actually a passable top pairing, being slanted to the offensive, it still trails Stevens-Orr by a mile offensively speaking.

And nobody would take Goodfellow/Clapper defensively over Stevens-Orr either.

Ken Reardon:

29.6 VsX 7 is his official score using yearly benchmark

Played 2 years 41-42 and 42-43, scoring 25 points in 87 games – 0.29
Missed 3 full years to WWII
Played 5 years 45-46 through 49-50, scoring 98 points in 266 games – 0.36

Career is 122 in 355 = 0.35 PPG

Reardon’s offense is solid but nothing special. The 1940’s were an incredibly weak era for the blueline and he took advantage of playing with Richard, Blake, Lach, among others. He entered the league when all the top stars from the 30’s were either gone or winding down and left right as the Kelly’s/Harvey’s of the world started dominating.

Given his penchant for penalties and playing an aggressive, rambunctious style, will likely take him out of position much more than a player like Laperriere. Against Pittsburgh, getting caught up ice/out of position is a big no-no.

Look at his bio from 2010. No mentions of skating, other than Reardon saying about himself “I couldn’t skate”.

So he liked to skate through people rather than around them (harkens to the not being a very good skater comment).
Here are a couple of quotes I pulled from his singular bio. Good luck trying to skate through Scott Stevens, Seibert, Lapperriere. Or any number of Pittsburgh F’s.

“He would barge down the ice in the most direct line to either the opponent's net or his check, and he loved the body-contact game….It was all in a time when hockey was extremely rough and tough, and no player was tougher than him.” – Greatest Hockey Legends

Even when he was carrying the puck, he posed a threat to his opponents, frequently preferring to skate through them than around them when leading rushes out of the Montreal end.” ourhistory.canadiens.com

He strikes me as a rambunctious and aggressive player who isn’t going to play a consistently strong positional game.

Jack Crawford:

28.1 VsX 7 is official using yearly benchmarks

178 points in 547 regular season games = 0.32 PPG

He’s talked about as a “husky, clean playing rearguard, capable of making a big hit”. I don’t see any mentions of his skating or really any specific traits, certainly not a bulk collection of data.

His 2nd team AS nod came during the first war depleted year (43) and the 1st team AS nod in 46 is weaker than any other era due to lack of quality Dmen in the NHL in 1946 (best players were Jack Stewart, Butch Bouhard and Ken Reardon. None of which are top 30 Dmen all time and it being the first year post WWII.

His already subpar offense is helped by playing through the entirety of WWII so he’s one of the players who certainly took advantage of a weak league and you see a bump in scoring output.

I think him a perfectly fine #4 in a smaller draft like this but combined with Ken Reardon am not exactly sure how well they’re going to handle Pittsburgh’s incredible skating ability on the flanks and top shelf forecheckers (Bucyk, Anderson, Crawford, Metz, Poulin) and to a lesser degree Cook/Lemaire.

This pairing won’t be able to skate out of danger consistently against a team like Pittsburgh and their offensive prowess overall is rather weak.

Jacques Laperriere:

34.6 VsX7 is offical score using yearly benchmarks
282 points in 692 games = 0.41 PPG

Earl Seibert:
45.8 VsX7 is official score using yearly benchmarks
276 point in 657 games = 0.42 PPG

Overview:

Arizona isn't bridging the offensive gap among the rest of the top 4.

Putting Notion of Overrated VsX to Rest:

1. "Bucyk's score is overrated"

Funny considering TDMM’s “fudge” for example is literally based on Orr being present, which he is here. Present. I've already expanded on this so that alone should remove this tag, but let's go further.

2. “Malone’s not as good as Espo”

Sure, no question.

But considering a line contains 3 players, Martinec is at least 200 spots better than Hodge/Mackenzie who were the RW's of note on Boston during late 60's/early 70s. I think that gap is quite a bit bigger than the 45 odd spots between Espo and Malone. Plus Malone is one of handful of #1 C’s who plays a lot like Esposito offensively.

And you have 2 defensive pairs that are so far above the bar, supporting from the back end all game.
Look, I get it. Gamesmanship is part of this thing. Bucyk is generally an easy guy to target. But trying to literally use that same routine when I reunited him with Orr, and collectively (C+RW) upgraded the talent he skated with often at ES is just not correct.

3. "Bun Cook's score is overrated"

Sure, I absolutely agree that in this setting, his score is overrated. I’m pretty sure I never argued that in the first place but again, his presence fits Lemaire and Cournoyer very well as mentioned by numerous GM's in the assassination thread, as the glue guy/intangible/grinder type.

You have to respect the skating ability of that line or don’t at your own peril. Plus the chemistry between Lemaire and Cournoyer is very strong and cannot be denied.

And again, you cannot forget to apply Orr for a good number of their shifts.

Bobby Orr, for all intents and purposes is the best offensive player in this series. He’s the best player in this series. (ever in my book).

This is why Orr is so valuable. His offensive value can inject any line. Any line instantly becomes a threat when he’s on the ice.

So again, while I don’t have 195 VsX points and top 50 players all time on the 2nd line, Cook is still quite comfortably the #3 dog on the unit. I’m not asking him to do anything more than he did in real life. Win battles with your skating, high end defensive/PK play and good physicality. Chip in offensively.

4. Glenn Anderson?

Makes absolutely no sense to come after him. Even @tabness who stated earlier this year he’s not all that concerned with the debate/playoff portion of the draft, spoke up regarding Bucyk as well as Anderson being in strong situations relative to real life.

Anderson played a lot with Messier, far more than any other C no?

Messier is 89.6 over 7 years.
Hawerchuk is 86 over 7 years.

And before people get in an uproar, that DOES NOT mean Hawerhuk is close to Messier in an all time sense. It’s a wide gap.

But offensively? How much of a gap really exists?

Look at who Messier played with and compare that to Hawerchuk.

Look at the two with your eyes. Video exists if you weren’t alive to see these guys in their primes. Hawerchuk was an incredible offensive player, stuck on really shitty teams. Is it really hard to imagine what he’d have done on a 2nd line behind Gretzky and loads of PP time on a top unit there?

You want context, there you go haha.

Glenn Anderson can play the role that he did in real life. Relentless energy, elite skating, elite forechecking, good goal scorer, solid backchecking, super pest, and extremely strong playoff performer. He's exactly the type of player who wins you hockey games in a depth role as he did it time and again over his career.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Let’s Dive Into Playoff Impact/Scoring Among Forwards:

Pittsburgh has a wealth of playoff strongmen at Forward.

Just another reason why this notion that Pittsburgh was pieced together by VsX, is flat out wrong and gamesmanship aside, can’t be held in reality.

Thanks to seventies we have a playoff VsX table to get an idea of how players performed at scoring in postseason play: 1918-2016

All Time Postseason VsX Rank:
NHL Playoff VsX, 1918-2016

Pittsburgh's Forwards:

19th – Jacques Lemaire
(36th on HoH's Top 40 Playoff Performer List, 139 points in 145 games, 8 Time Champion, Led playoffs in scoring once, 11 GW goals including 3 OT winners, 2 Cup winning goals, etc, etc, scoring dropping only from 0.98 in regular season to 0.96 in playoffs -2%)

29th – Yvan Cournoyer
(Probably didn't miss the back end of the Top 40 List by much, 127 points in 147 games, Led playoffs in scoring + Conn Smythe in 1973 w/Lemaire as his C, scoring dropping only from 0.89 in regular season to 0.86 in the playoffs, -3%)

42nd – Johnny Bucyk
(2 Time Cup Winner, Tied for playoff lead in goals for 72 winner, led playoffs in PP goals during both Cup winning runs, 103 points in 124 games, scoring dropping only from 0.89 in regular season to 0.83 in playoffs, -6%.)

49th – Glenn Anderson
(6 Time Cup Winner, scored 20+ points 5 separate times, 214 points in 225 games, led playoffs in ES goals on the 87 title team, scoring dropping only from 0.97 in the regular season to 0.95 in the playoff, -3%)

101st – Nick Metz
(4 Time Cup winner, scored 3 GW's in 1 single, including Cup winner in 1942, scored 39 points in 76 games, scoring rising from 0.48 in the regular season to 0.51 in the playoffs, +3%)

170th – Bun Cook
(2 Time Cup winner, lead playoffs in goals in 1932, scoring dropped fro 0.64 in regular season to 0.39 in playoffs, though it's no worse than Busher Jackson)

These guys were built for the playoffs and their resumes, scoring or otherwise cannot be denied. It's quite rare to see players keep their regular season scoring paces through the playoffs, or even increase them in Metz's case.

This further illustrates why these F's have considerable value beyond a singular offensive metric.

**That leaves Malone, Martinec, Hawerchuk, Tanguay, Poulin, Crawford

Joe Malone:

Malone isn't a good playoff performer at this level but he's certainly not bad. His biggest issue is he barely had any experience.

3 SC challenge games which he dominated scoring 14 goals, including 9 in 1. Obviously the value of those is pretty much nill, at least the 9 in 1 game. But at the very least, it shows that when he should have dominated again weaker comp, he did.

Besides that though he played in 9 NHL playoff games (to determine which NHL team represented the east in the SCF).

Throwing out his 0 points in 2 games in 1922-23 when he was completely shot, he then had 8 points in 7 games. He didn’t seem to play well in 1917-18 scoring 1 goal in a 2 game aggregate loss to Toronto. But he did do quite well the following year against Nighbor and the Senators with 7 points in 5 games.

Other than that he was never involved in a playoff game.

So yeah, I think Malone’s just average here. Probably won’t be the star of the series but doubtful he bombs either, especially with the players around him as facilitators (Martinec-Orr-Bucyk). He’s in a very advantageous position to succeed offensively.

Vlad Martinec:

I’ve already outlined his greatness as a European star during the 1970’s. There is a legitimate argument that he was the 2nd/3rd best RW in the world for a few years when you look at the weak RW's winning AS nods from 1970 through 1977.

1971:
1st Team AS = Hodge
2nd Team AS = Cournoyer

1972:
1st Team AS = Gilbert
2nd Team AS = Cournoyer

1973:
1st team AS = Mickey Redmond
2nd Team AS = Cournoyer

1974:
1st team AS = Hodge
2nd team AS = Redmond

1975:
1st Team AS = Lafleur
2nd Team AS = Rene Robert

1976:
1st Team AS = Lafleur
2nd Team AS = Reggie Leach

1977:
1st Team AS = Lafleur
2nd Team AS = Lanny McDonald

The only player up there that ranks ahead of Martinec, for anyone, is Lafleur. Martinec's peak was 74 through 77.

One has to remember Martinec wasn't skating with Soviet stacked rosters year in and year out, both domestically and international speaking.You cannot compare, linearly, Soviets and Czech’s of the 70’s. Not only because the peak players favored the Soviets, the overall depth of talent definitely favored them as well.

His international scoring rates and accolades are fantastic, better than all but a handful of players from the era (70’s).

4 straight WC AS nods at RW over Boris Mikhailov is significant bullet point.
7th all-time leading scorer in World Championships
1st all-time among Czech players
52 goals
58 assists
110 points
102 games

Here's how Vladimir Martinec's 1.12 assists per goal ratio at the WC's compares to some of the other stars of his generation.

Alexander Maltsev: 1.16 (89A:77G)
Valeri Kharlamov: 1.15 (85A:74G)
Vladimir Martinec: 1.12 (58A:52G)
Vladimir Petrov: 1.08 (80A:74G)
Boris Mikhailov: 0.72 (71A:98G)

*This really shows how balanced he was as an offensive force.

Comparing Him to Vladimir Krutov:

Martinec - 138 points in 119 games
Krutov – 137 points in 112 games
Now consider who Krutov was skating with (Larionov/Makarov) and then factor in who was pushing the play from the back end (Fetisov).

The entire KLM line were on the 83 WC AS team. None were even voted best forward. Meh.
Krutov was on the 85 WC AS team. Makarov was BF.
Krutov was an AS and BF at 86 WC’s
Krutov was an AS and BF at 87 WC’s
Krutov was an AS at 87 CC

Krutov has 1 more AS/BF nod skating on the greatest offensive line in Soviet history, backed by the greatest Soviet Dman (by a mile), consider at times to be the best in the world.

Krutov won 5 WC’s (81-83, 86 and 89)

Exploits During Those 5 WC Gold Runs:
54 points
48 games
1.13 PPG
AS – 83 and 86
Best Forward - 86

Martinec won 3 WC’s (72, 76, 77)

Exploits During Those 3 WC Gold Runs:
47 points
30 games
1.57 PPG
AS – 76 and 77 (over Mikhailov both times)
Best Forward – 76
Leading Scorer – 76

Martinec Point Scoring Vs2:

Domestic - 107, 100, 100, 98, 85, 78, 78, 78, 78, 70, 69, 66, 56, 52
*92.3 over 7 years

“Well, why didn’t he score a bit more domestically?

Consider:

Despite only leading the Czech league in scoring once he still managed to win 4 Golden Stick Awards as the best player in Czechoslovakia (73, 75, 76, 79). Only Jagr and Hasek have more all time.

Could it be the fact he was a complete hockey player and the voters recognized that when it came to picking the best player in the nation?

Martinec was a strong defensive hockey player. There were studies done on Soviet/Czech PK player and Martinec graded out extremely well in that role thanks to Batis/VBBM's work.

Posted by @DN28

a) Defense.
Not too long ago there wasn't any knowledge about Martinec's sound defensive play but some of us have been able to read the contemporary materials and find considerable evidence. Chronologically:

Gól magazine, post-WHC 1970, Martinec´s player description and evaluation:
"As a rookie of the team, he signaled that it´s possible to count on him in the National team. He´s calm enough when finishing offensive actions, also owns good defensive skills. He was injured so his performance had considerable fluctuations."

Nomination for WHC 1971 presented at Gól magazine, Martinec´s player description:
"Technical, creative player with great improvisational abilities and good defensive propensities."

Slovakian Hockey Yearbook 1972:

Vladimír Martinec. He is one of our most wittiest hockey players. By two assists on goals he contributed a great deal to the victory over USSR. He attacks and defends very well, has an intuition for the game, he is a constructive player. If he gains better conditioning and experience yet, he can become the backbone of CSSR team.

Early 1973, a prominent hockey columnist of the era and former National Team player, Miloslav Charouzd calls Martinec esentially one of the three best defensive forwards in the CSSR League. This is the biggest appreaciation of Martinec´s defensive efforts that can be possibly found. It´s also impressive because the article was written during the time when Martinec was on his way to win the League scoring and League title for this season. The key paragraph is bolded by me. I also decided to post or quote the entire article given its importance.

I´ll start with Miloslav Charouzd´s overview of basic types of forwards that you could mostly find in the League at the time, some descriptions may be interesting or useful to know. The first article bears the title: DOES THE IDEAL TYPE OF FORWARD EXIST?

“Just as every sporting collective game, hockey is also based not only on mutual cooperation of individuals but also on balance of different lines – of forwards and defensemen. That is why today, strictly one-way type of forward or defenseman is almost an extinct species. More and more a player is sought – the one who meets these tasks [offense and defense] according to team´s conception of the game. There are multiple ways to look at a hockey player. Technical and physical fundamentals are of course taken into account, but moreover a player´s age, nature, personal and moral qualities and all this is necessary to combine in order for a player to be advantageous to his team at all of its aspects. At least in the hint, let´s have a look at some of the most important evaluating factors of a forward, as one member of a hockey team.

The same uniform does not mean the uniformity of forwards. Should the forward line fulfill all of its duties, it has to have a constructive player setting up the pace, he could be named as a sort of on-ice thinker. Next forward must be the type of a shooter and both should be complemented by forward who has constantly on his mind an opportunity of effective defense. Representative of a constructive player who gives a pattern to the offensive game, who develops playing situations, who can release himself and his teammates – is without a doubt, Jaroslav Holík. He has excellent stickhandling technique, he does not avoid physical encounters, while he still maintains the view over the situation in the game and at the same time he´s being an important contributor and director of an active defense of the team. For this type of forward, it is typical having a much larger number of passes on goal than the actual realizations of goals by himself, which is also apparent on
[players such as] Farda or Jiří Novák from Pardubice and Otte from Plzeň.

Forward–shooter should have primarily an innate sense for goal-scoring opportunities, sufficient self-confidence associated with a certain amount of aggressiveness and above all, he should never avoid responsibility of finishing offensive actions. From all of our top teams, Tesla Pardubice is the best of them at these accounts. Four shooters – Šťastný, Martinec, Paleček and Prýl – make each of Pardubice´s offensive lines extremely dangerous. Klapáč and Nový fulfills this function of distinctive finishing players in Dukla Jihlava, Slovan Bratislava relies on Haas in this regard, and Pouzar plays a similar role in Motor Č. Budějovice, and Eduard Novák with Nedvěd in Kladno.

Defender‘ is usually a good skater, as he covers comparatively large space in offensive and defensive zones. The player is usually well-built physically, has an advantage in continuous control of the puck, at the same time he acts as an ‚forward-playing antenna‘ of active defense of the team. Outstanding representatives of this type of forward – Jiří Holík and Martinec – have almost even ratio of goals scored and assists and their collective and responsible style of play for the team needs to be highly appreciated. Ševčík can calmly be measured with these players when it comes to work in defense. However today, we have started to require big effort, immediate counter-attacking skills even from a player securing defense in order for him to get into the scoring areas by himself or to selflessly create the shooting positions for his teammates.

Peaceful ones are the base – hotheaded ones are the spark. Do all the skillful types of forwards fit together temperamentally too? Could there play next to each other temperamentally the same players, such as for example Jaroslav Holík and Golonka? Every coach would probably suffer from a headache soon from this duo! But even these hotheads are needed for the team to a certain extent. No need to remind very much, just how much excitement prevailed or still prevails on the ice, when Golonka, Huck, Sterner or Esposito stepped in. What a constant source of tension are these heated characters. They all usually have a notable amount of playing ‚insolence‘, they do not suffer in no matter how important games they´re playing from a feeling of overly excessive commitments and they play without any hindrance, regardless of an opponent´s level of play.

Although necessarily, a calm stable player who doesn´t get irritated, must be next to them
[i. e. next to ‚hotheads‘]. You can read these traits of the game of Klapáč, Brunclík or Paleček, players who easily adjust, submit and do not look for a conflict, rather look to avoid heated situations on ice.

Old and young. The eternal problem of the circle of life projects itself into the hockey team too. The inevitable exchange of players should be proceeding naturally, continuously, without deep swingings in performance of the team. Young players mean undeniably a certain part of unrest and excitement in the team. They are ambitious, they want to excel. Perhaps that´s why they´re more subjected to influence of the environment and their performances are imbalanced. I have seen indisputably gifted forwards Nový, Pouzar, Čížek,
[Marián] Šťastný from Slovan playing outstanding games, only so that then immediately after they fail to play up to even the league average level. I believe that a good team should have in its core both hockey ‚rookies‘, as well as players around 30, whereas the ‚golden‘ hockey age is within the range of 24 – 26 years. The best in this regard are undoubtedly Tesla Pardubice and Dukla Jihlava where older players such as Prýl, Andrt, Klapáč and even Holíks with their routine and experience lead younger teammates – Veith, Čížek, Nový, Beránek, while the core of the team is made by the players from the ‚golden‘ middle age.

The team, in which the one generation of players has sustained itself for a long time – like the case of ZKL Brno – plays stereotypically over time, no new stimulus comes into their game and performance of the team has to stagnate. I don´t want to claim by this that a young player has to play at whatever cost. Firsov and Gordie Howe were great even after their 30, and for instance Maltsev, Tumba Johansson or Bobby Orr on the other hand were great already at 18 years. Decisive factor always has to be performance not an age of a player!

As we can see, the ideal type of forward or forward line, considering all the viewpoints, cannot even exist! To grab a certain type of player useful for the team is the big craft of a coach. Although often times even here, it is a necessary to deal with some compromise. Character of player cannot be restricted or suppressed, but to streamline and make of perfect use of his features to the one goal – success of the collective.“

WHC 1975 in West Germany:
(...)
'He was a bad shooter <at first>, but when he got stronger for some reason, he became a national team player. He has a good hockey sense, and he always plays for the benefit of the team. The most important thing is that Martinec's work capacity is unbelievable - even a simpleton can see that he is always able to carry the puck over the blue line, but his defensive contribution is never understood,' said a journalist from Pardubice in Düsseldorf**.
Martinec is all <of these things>: when they started to give the Golden Stick (for the player of the year) in Czechoslovakia, the rules were made to favour defencemen... for four years, goal-scoring defencemen were preeminent - then came Martinec. (...)

Czechoslovak Players against the USSR
You can see that Martinec showed very well against the Soviets

Czechoslovak Players against Canada, NHL, WHA
And here you can see that Martinec showed very well against North American comp.

The reality is Martinec was a money player. The Soviets went out of there way to try and injure him and unlike someone like Maltsev for example, Martinec responded well to the rougher hockey and thrived against the top competition. His hockey IQ is clearly top shelf and he reads like a wizard with the puck on his stick.

Hawerchuk:

99 points in 97 career games. He’s like Malone. Not good, not bad. Went from 1.19 in regular season to 1.02 in playoffs, -17%

I mean the guy spent the entire 1980’s in the same division as the Gretzky/Messier Oilers, and the Flames who won a Cup in 89. The Jets were essentially a minor league team compared to the Oilers, certainly in the middle of the decade.

A key aspect to Hawerchuk was he was an unselfish player. He took lesser roles with Team Canada 5 different times, which I think goes to show you what the folks who selected those teams thought about his ability to play more than just an offensive style.

Consider: (from his Wiki page)
He played for Team Canada in the 1987 Canada Cup tournament, and had a goal and two assists in the decisive third game of the Finals against the Soviets. Late in the third period, he won the face-off that led to Canada's most famous goal and tied up with the Russian player who tried to check Mario Lemieux at centre ice, allowing Lemieux to take Gretzky's pass in the slot for the series winner.

Hawerchuk was named Canada's MVP for that decisive game. Commentators remarked on his ability in the series to switch from being a goal scorer to a mucker and grinder. Hawerchuk was also key to Canada's 1991 Canada Cup victory.

In a poll of NHL general managers during the mid-1980s asking them to select the player they would start a franchise with, Hawerchuk was voted third behind only Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey. He retired with 518 goals, 891 assists and 1,409 points, placing him 18th on the career NHL points list.

Hawerchuk was a scrappy player. He clearly was a team 1st guy and showed his willingness to play a rougher/defensive game when the need arose.

He is easily skilled enough to carry a depth scoring line like this and should be happy to have competent offensive players flanking him.

Tanguay:

One SC win, and really only 1 notable playoff run to his name but it was a big one. Scored 21 points in 23 games during the 01 Cup run, was a +13 and had the Cup winning goal in game 7 vs NJ. He scored 2 of the 3 goals in that game and assisted on the 3rd.

Overall went from 0.79 in regular season to 0.60 in postseason, -19%

Pretty meh, but does at least have the one strong run to his name.

Arizona's Forwards:

67th – Newsy Lalonde
(1 time Cup champion, was incredible in the 1919 NHL playoffs vs Ottawa, scoring 13 points in 5 games and was playing very well in the famous 1919 SCF that ended with no winner due to the pandemic that wiped out over a million in the US and 60M globally)

83rd – Busher Jackson
(1 time Cup chamption, 30 points in 72 games, scoring drops from 0.75 in regular season to 0.42, -33%)

104th – Daniel Alfredsson
(0 Cup wins – 100 points in 124 games, though he was Conn Smythe good in the 2006 SCF loss, leading hte playoffs in goals and points, his scoring still drops from 0.93 in regular season to 0.81 in playoffs, -12%. His score is lower than Nick Metz)

NR – Pit Lepine
(2 time Cup champion, 12 points in 41 games, scoring drops from 0.46 in regular season to 0.29 in postseason, -17%)

NR – Dean Prentice
(0 Cup wins - 30 points in 54 games, scoring drops from 0.62 to 0.55 in postseason, -7%)

NR – David Backes
(0 Cup wins – 39 points in 82 games, scoring drops from 0.58 to 0.48 in postseason,-10%)

**That leaves Taylor, Smith, Mackay, Roberts, Oatman, Walker

Cyclone Taylor:

Cyclone Taylor - Wikipedia

Strong SC performer, 20 points in 11 games. Absolutely terrible in PCHA playoffs, 2 points in 8 games.

Was especially good in his 1 SC win, 1914-15 for Vancouver, scoring 10 points in 3 games.

Overall though 22 points in 19 games is a real drop in production for a guy who dominated the PCHA to the tune of 2 points per game.

Drop from 2.0 to 1.15? Yeesh.

Tommy Smith:

Tommy Smith (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Looking at his SC performances, he scored 9 points in 9 games. Was on the 1913 SC team for Quebec and technically won a Cup early in his career in 1906 with the Silver Seven but only played in 3 games in the regular season and 1 playoff game, with 0 points.

Nothing special here. Especially considering his regular season per game numbers north of 1.5 PPG.

Mickey MacKay:

Mickey MacKay - Wikipedia

Overshadowed by Taylor in the SC win in 1915, he's another mixed bag IMO

Great in SC loss in 1918 with 10 points in 5 games, he otherwise really doesn't have much to write home about.

Consider in the 4 SCF he played in after 1918 he scored an atrocious 3 points in 16 games.

11 points in 13 PCHA playoff games
19 points in 24 SC games

For a guy who scored at well over a point per game in the regular season, it's another steep drop in production for a top 6 F on Arizona

Gordon Roberts:

Gordon Roberts (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Very little to go on:

Was great for Ottawa in 1910 with 7 goals in 2 games (though competition was rather weak). Other than that played in 6 games between the NHA/PCHA playoffs and had 1 goal in 6 games.

Can't say he's bad but he's not a standout in any way.

Jack Walker:
Jack Walker (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

He's a solid playoff guy. Nothing spectacular but compared to some of the others, he's quality.

18 points in 26 SCF games isn't overly impressive but he was a consistent depth scorer on 3 Cup winners.
30 points in 46 playoff games = 0.65

226 points 284 regular season games (NHA/PCHA/WHL) = 0.79

Eddie Oatman:
Eddie Oatman - Wikipedia

The man averaged a hair over PPG for his career.

He scored 7 points in 15 career playoff games, including 5 in 13 during the SCF's.

A meh playoff player

Overview:

Pittsburgh has pretty clearly superior hockey players at F, in the playoffs.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Illustrating The Massive Gap Between Defensemen:

Once again, no matter how you slice it, offensively up front there is very little difference between the 2 teams.

Yes, the 2 biggest names at F are certainly on Arizona, but neither one of them is even the most impactful or talented offensive threat in the series. That’d be Orr. And he’s playing 30 minutes a night at a minimum. His presence impacts every line, not just a singular entity.

And the great counter to having a 1-2 punch down the middle as Arizona does is being able to deploy the far and away best top pairing of the draft and then STILL be able to roll out a 2nd pairing that would best at least half the league’s top units.

I mean do we really need to go THAT in depth as to how massive the gap is between these 2 blue lines?

HoH Top 100/200 rankings:

Pittsburgh Top 4:

Orr – 3rd (1st among D)
Seibert – 61st (17th among D)
Stevens - 64th (18th among D)
Laperriere – 153rd (42nd among D)

Arizona Top 4:

Clapper - 73rd (*21st among D)
Goodfellow – 151st (*41st among D)
Reardon – NR (so far 45 D ranked. I’d have him somewhere in the 50’s among D all time)
Crawford – NR (He'd be waiting a long time in a top 300 project)

#1 Dmen:
Orr – 3 (D1)
Clapper – 73 (D21*)

Pittsburgh + 70 overall + 21 among D

#2 Dmen:
Stevens – 64 (D18)
Goodfellow – 151 (D41**)

Pittsburgh +87 overall +23 among D

#3 Dmen:
Seibert – 61 (D17)
Reardon – NR (?)

Pittsburgh +110 (at least) overall and + 30 (at least) among D

#4 Dmen:
Laperriere – 153 (42)
Crawford – NR (?)

*Clapper’s placement on the top 100 list factored in his AS caliber career at F so him coming in as the 21st overall D is probably a little misleading. I had him 83rd overall and the 23rd best Dman and even that was considering his time at F. If you pull his 2 AS seasons at F and solid scoring totals as a RW, he’s probably more in the Keith/Leetch range (25th all time among D)

**Goodfellow is in the same boat though his time as a F wasn’t quite as impressive as Clapper’s IMO. So honestly leave him at 151 (41) and be done with it.

Ken Reardon has yet to be ranked through 165 positions and is not yet up for debate, so he’ll be at least outside 170 and it’s doubtful he’d make it in early given some of the names that are still waiting to be inducted now. Best case, I see him sneaking into the 180-190 range.

Pittsburgh’s # 4 (Laperriere) ranks at least 47 spots high than Ottawa’s #4 (Crawford) and that number is surely much higher considering Crawford won’t make the top 200 cut and given where is generally drafted and ranked here, he’s probably more like 100 spots below Lappy.

Let that sink in.

1 v 1 – Landslide Pitt
2 vs 2 – Landslide Pitt
3 vs 3 – Landslide Pitt
4 v 4 – Landslide Pitt

Overview:

Yeah, this is an insanely massive gap. The biggest of the series.

Time On Ice Impact of Pittsburgh’s Defensemen Dominance:

TOI Estimates (total minutes):

Pittsburgh Dmen:

Stevens (26) – Orr (30)
Laperriere (24) - Seibert – (26)
Tsygenkov (10) - Morrow (4)

Arizona Dmen:

Goodfellow (24) - Clapper – (25)
Reardon (21) - Crawford (19)
Patrick (15) – Svedberg (16)

Pittsburgh’s top 4 can play almost the entire game collectively.

Tysgenkov will have fresh legs being subbed in for Hollett so that’s inherently an advantage, especially considering he represents a nice uptick in defensive ability and playing around 10 minutes, with home ice advantage means we can keep him away from the top 2 lines.

What Does This Mean?

Goodfellow and Clapper were not air tight defenders. Probably good, but not great in all time sense. They were puck movers first and foremost and I think them playing together is somewhat redundant from a stylistic standpoint.

I’d personally want a little more attention paid to the D aspect of the position considering how big a gap exists already between the 2 teams at D.

I think Goodfellow is a poor man’s Seibert and Clapper an economy version, namely on the basis he doesn’t come close to the longevity that Seibert possessed at the position. Seibert’s 10 consecutive AS nods at D is only bested by Ray Bourque all time, if I’m not mistaken, and the 1930’s weren’t exactly void of quality D.

Furthermore and this is the most important aspect, Arizona will have to play their 3rd pairing at least 15 minutes on both sides IMO.

Their 2nd pair, far worse than Pittsburgh's 2nd pair, will have to play around 20 minutes a game.

So that is roughly 35 minutes of vastly inferior play that can't be hidden on the blueline. Really it's 60 minutes of vastly inferior play but I'm trying to be reasonable.

Overview:

It's a landslide in favor of Pittsburgh.

Arizona simply has to expose vastly inferior Dmen against a F group that can roll 3 scoring lines, supported by Orr and company.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
How much of the actual coaching did he do for the National Team post 1960? I could use a refresher there to be honest. I know he was the assistant to Chernyshev through 1974 so was he the one actually making tactical adjustments on the fly and coaching in the manner we all consider to be normal? I can’t remember if Chernyshev was just a figurehead on the bench or not.

Chernyshov (I prefer this transcription because that's actually how the name is pronounced) ran the bench, he wasn't just a figurehead. But the two coaches prepared everything together, with Chernyshov having the last word. By character, Tarasov had new ideas all the time and wanted to experiment while Chernyshov was very cautious and thought twice and thrice about all the pros and cons before making a decision. So effectively, a lot of their joint work consisted of Tarasov painstakingly trying to convince Chernyshov of this or that and Chernyshov accepting some proposals and rejecting others.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
For starters he’s playing a secondary position, which is an issue for 2 reasons.

One, I’d like to see a specific breakdown of how many games he actually played at RW. I see the bio you did this year has W listed in the back 3rd of his career a good bit but it also mentions he played both sides w/no real breakdown as to how many times he was on the right or left or rover, etc.

Something along the lines I did with Nels Stewart a few years back. I went game by game to figure out exactly how many games (or at least very close) he had played at LW over a 2 years stretch. The more in depth you go, the more validity a conclusion has.

Secondly, and this is the most important issue with Mac at RW is the loss of some of his defensive value.

We’re pretty certain his style of play was that of a neutral ice pick pocket. His 2014 bio points this out. He played the center of the ice defensively like Nighbor and Boucher so that isn’t really going to work well with him on the right flank here.

And until I see that he played multiple seasons at RW (or at least a cumulative amount of games) I think giving him a standard offensive rating is trickier because the bulk of his career was at C/R.

Either way, I think Tarasov would certainly enjoy a player like MacKay but he’s the type of talent who would have been used down the middle IMO.

Further consider he’s playing away from his primary position (C/R) over at RW. This matters.

Nope his primary position should've always been wing, his offence was clearly better away from C/Rover but by all means go off.

Ok so let's start with this blatant misrepresentation. When Frank Boucher and Mickey MacKay played together in Vancouver MacKay was almost 100% of the time the RW. It should've have always been his "primary" position all of his good season were from there. In my bio I note the impact he had defensively from the wing position he was clearly still a fantastic defensive player. So you're grasping at straws for someone who complains no one reads their work I'd appreciate you at least reading my bios. MacKay is still an elite defensive player and did the bulk of the defensive work for Vancouver.

Unless otherwise noted, he is listed at F (when C is listed) or across from a notable RW or LW while Frank Boucher is listed across from the C
The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]08 Mar 1923: 16.
Towards the close of the game the Cougars rallied and Frederickson, who had been dogged and checked to death by MacKay and Boucher finally outstripped his rivals by some fast skating and broke through…..

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]06 Nov 1924: 4.
Vancouver fans sat back and howled for forwards that could score while Skinner, Frank Boucher and the MacKay followed instructions to the letter, paid more attention to back checking than to attacking saw their goal averages suffer but the games won until the team found itself in the final for the Stanley Cup.

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]26 Mar 1921: 30.
….Scarcely a minute later MacKay hooked the rubber away from Nighbor……

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]13 Mar 1922: 12.
Cook, Duncan and MacKay herded the raiders into the trap and blocked them on some dangerous runs. They formed a wonderful trio in front of the Vancouver goal….
None of their (Vancouver) forwards wasted time or energy trying to fight their way through to the Regina cage and run the chance of the Caps breaking away and plunging past a weakened barricade.

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]09 Jan 1923: 14.
MacKay listed across from Lalonde just as F
The forwards back checked in amazing style and broke up play after play before it had hardly got underway. Without a doubt the Vancouver machine is the greatest that has ever appeared here…..

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]17 Feb 1925: 13.
The maroons continued their strong defensive tactics, seemingly content to the let the waves of prairie rushes break on the phalanx of Moran, Duncan and MacKay

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]20 Mar 1923: 16.
At the face-off Cy Dennny seized the puck and got as far as the Vancouver blue line where MacKay’s hook check cut short his progresss…Ottawa came back strongly with brilliant two men and three men attacks which went to pieces on MacKay’s defence.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Chernyshov (I prefer this transcription because that's actually how the name is pronounced) ran the bench, he wasn't just a figurehead. But the two coaches prepared everything together, with Chernyshov having the last word. By character, Tarasov had new ideas all the time and wanted to experiment while Chernyshov was very cautious and thought twice and thrice about all the pros and cons before making a decision. So effectively, a lot of their joint work consisted of Tarasov painstakingly trying to convince Chernyshov of this or that and Chernyshov accepting some proposals and rejecting others.

Thanks for that Theo.

So would it be reasonable to assume that ideally, Tarasov and Chernyshov would be paired together in the ATD to maximize each other's value?

National Team resume is more important than domestically, especially when you factor in era and with Chernyshov absent, Tarasov is without one of his arms IMO.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Illustrating The Massive Gap Between Defensemen:

Once again, no matter how you slice it, offensively up front there is very little difference between the 2 teams.

Yes, the 2 biggest names at F are certainly on Arizona, but neither one of them is even the most impactful or talented offensive threat in the series. That’d be Orr. And he’s playing 30 minutes a night at a minimum. His presence impacts every line, not just a singular entity.

And the great counter to having a 1-2 punch down the middle as Arizona does is being able to deploy the far and away best top pairing of the draft and then STILL be able to roll out a 2nd pairing that would best at least half the league’s top units.

I mean do we really need to go THAT in depth as to how massive the gap is between these 2 blue lines?

HoH Top 100/200 rankings:

Pittsburgh Top 4:

Orr – 3rd (1st among D)
Seibert – 61st (17th among D)
Stevens - 64th (18th among D)
Laperriere – 153rd (42nd among D)

Arizona Top 4:

Clapper - 73rd (*21st among D)
Goodfellow – 151st (*41st among D)
Reardon – NR (so far 45 D ranked. I’d have him somewhere in the 50’s among D all time)
Crawford – NR (He'd be waiting a long time in a top 300 project)

#1 Dmen:
Orr – 3 (D1)
Clapper – 73 (D21*)

Pittsburgh + 70 overall + 21 among D

#2 Dmen:
Stevens – 64 (D18)
Goodfellow – 151 (D41**)

Pittsburgh +87 overall +23 among D

#3 Dmen:
Seibert – 61 (D17)
Reardon – NR (?)

Pittsburgh +110 (at least) overall and + 30 (at least) among D

#4 Dmen:
Laperriere – 153 (42)
Crawford – NR (?)

*Clapper’s placement on the top 100 list factored in his AS caliber career at F so him coming in as the 21st overall D is probably a little misleading. I had him 83rd overall and the 23rd best Dman and even that was considering his time at F. If you pull his 2 AS seasons at F and solid scoring totals as a RW, he’s probably more in the Keith/Leetch range (25th all time among D)

**Goodfellow is in the same boat though his time as a F wasn’t quite as impressive as Clapper’s IMO. So honestly leave him at 151 (41) and be done with it.

Ken Reardon has yet to be ranked through 165 positions and is not yet up for debate, so he’ll be at least outside 170 and it’s doubtful he’d make it in early given some of the names that are still waiting to be inducted now. Best case, I see him sneaking into the 180-190 range.

Pittsburgh’s # 4 (Laperriere) ranks at least 47 spots high than Ottawa’s #4 (Crawford) and that number is surely much higher considering Crawford won’t make the top 200 cut and given where is generally drafted and ranked here, he’s probably more like 100 spots below Lappy.

Let that sink in.

1 v 1 – Landslide Pitt
2 vs 2 – Landslide Pitt
3 vs 3 – Landslide Pitt
4 v 4 – Landslide Pitt

Overview:

Yeah, this is an insanely massive gap. The biggest of the series.

Time On Ice Impact of Pittsburgh’s Defensemen Dominance:

TOI Estimates (total minutes):

Pittsburgh Dmen:

Stevens (26) – Orr (30)
Laperriere (24) - Seibert – (26)
Tsygenkov (10) - Morrow (4)

Arizona Dmen:

Goodfellow (24) - Clapper – (25)
Reardon (21) - Crawford (19)
Patrick (15) – Svedberg (16)

Pittsburgh’s top 4 can play almost the entire game collectively.

Tysgenkov will have fresh legs being subbed in for Hollett so that’s inherently an advantage, especially considering he represents a nice uptick in defensive ability and playing around 10 minutes, with home ice advantage means we can keep him away from the top 2 lines.

What Does This Mean?

Goodfellow and Clapper were not air tight defenders. Probably good, but not great in all time sense. They were puck movers first and foremost and I think them playing together is somewhat redundant from a stylistic standpoint.

I’d personally want a little more attention paid to the D aspect of the position considering how big a gap exists already between the 2 teams at D.

I think Goodfellow is a poor man’s Seibert and Clapper an economy version, namely on the basis he doesn’t come close to the longevity that Seibert possessed at the position. Seibert’s 10 consecutive AS nods at D is only bested by Ray Bourque all time, if I’m not mistaken, and the 1930’s weren’t exactly void of quality D.

Furthermore and this is the most important aspect, Arizona will have to play their 3rd pairing at least 15 minutes on both sides IMO.

Their 2nd pair, far worse than Pittsburgh's 2nd pair, will have to play around 20 minutes a game.

So that is roughly 35 minutes of vastly inferior play that can't be hidden on the blueline. Really it's 60 minutes of vastly inferior play but I'm trying to be reasonable.

Overview:

It's a landslide in favor of Pittsburgh.

Arizona simply has to expose vastly inferior Dmen against a F group that can roll 3 scoring lines, supported by Orr and company.

Again you have an advantage on D because you have bargin basement centers. You can bold and underline your advantages all you want but your centers are poor relative to draft size.

Not to mention Johnny Bower is not Patrick Roy in the playoffs.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Jack Walker:
Jack Walker (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

He's a solid playoff guy. Nothing spectacular but compared to some of the others, he's quality.

18 points in 26 SCF games isn't overly impressive but he was a consistent depth scorer on 3 Cup winners.
30 points in 46 playoff games = 0.65

226 points 284 regular season games (NHA/PCHA/WHL) = 0.79

Hahahahahaha awarded a retro smythe by SIHR for his work on Morenz in 1925 and he's "quality"

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Joe Malone:

Malone isn't a good playoff performer at this level but he's certainly not bad. His biggest issue is he barely had any experience.

3 SC challenge games which he dominated scoring 14 goals, including 9 in 1. Obviously the value of those is pretty much nill, at least the 9 in 1 game. But at the very least, it shows that when he should have dominated again weaker comp, he did.

Besides that though he played in 9 NHL playoff games (to determine which NHL team represented the east in the SCF).

Throwing out his 0 points in 2 games in 1922-23 when he was completely shot, he then had 8 points in 7 games. He didn’t seem to play well in 1917-18 scoring 1 goal in a 2 game aggregate loss to Toronto. But he did do quite well the following year against Nighbor and the Senators with 7 points in 5 games.

Other than that he was never involved in a playoff game.

So yeah, I think Malone’s just average here. Probably won’t be the star of the series but doubtful he bombs either, especially with the players around him as facilitators (Martinec-Orr-Bucyk). He’s in a very advantageous position to succeed offensively.

He has a worse playoff record than Connor McDavid at this level, that's beyond horrible for a 1C. He had a good playoff in 1918-19 playing with you guessed it........Newsy Lalonde

Once Tommy Smith was past his prime the Malone led Bulldogs did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. Malone gathered a lot of points on very bad teams until he left for the Canadiens.

To the bolded especially, that's accurate but you can't suggest that he's anything more than the worst 1C in the playoffs in the whole draft.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Is, at best, a below average defensive player here. There’s more evidence in his bio of loafing and TDMM, I think, accurately states it seems very early in his career, would back check responsibly, but the bulk of it, he seems to be not regarded that well.

You can’t have loafers in a Tarasov system. That much I do know and he strikes me as a very odd choice for a 4th line role under a coach like Tarasov.

Tommy Smith was also a hockey mercenary. How well is he going to like playing in an extremely strict environment? Smith was about money above all else.

Straight from the man’s mouth himself:

Pulled from Wiki

What a weird criticism to take on a player.....I'm sure a lot of players at the dawn of the professional hockey were like this....Why do you think a bunch of players played in the IHL when they started paying players?

They couldn't even challenge for the cup from that league

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I dont see an issue with a player being a mercenary either- wanting more money doesn't have anything to do with not being willing to work hard or within a system.

It's easy for us to talk about "love-of-the-game", but when it is YOUR money and family being impacted... its a little different.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nope his primary position should've always been wing, his offence was clearly better away from C/Rover but by all means go off.

Ok so let's start with this blatant misrepresentation. When Frank Boucher and Mickey MacKay played together in Vancouver MacKay was almost 100% of the time the RW. It should've have always been his "primary" position all of his good season were from there. In my bio I note the impact he had defensively from the wing position he was clearly still a fantastic defensive player. So you're grasping at straws for someone who complains no one reads their work I'd appreciate you at least reading my bios. MacKay is still an elite defensive player and did the bulk of the defensive work for Vancouver.

Unless otherwise noted, he is listed at F (when C is listed) or across from a notable RW or LW while Frank Boucher is listed across from the C
The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]08 Mar 1923: 16.
Towards the close of the game the Cougars rallied and Frederickson, who had been dogged and checked to death by MacKay and Boucher finally outstripped his rivals by some fast skating and broke through…..

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]06 Nov 1924: 4.
Vancouver fans sat back and howled for forwards that could score while Skinner, Frank Boucher and the MacKay followed instructions to the letter, paid more attention to back checking than to attacking saw their goal averages suffer but the games won until the team found itself in the final for the Stanley Cup.

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]26 Mar 1921: 30.
….Scarcely a minute later MacKay hooked the rubber away from Nighbor……

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]13 Mar 1922: 12.
Cook, Duncan and MacKay herded the raiders into the trap and blocked them on some dangerous runs. They formed a wonderful trio in front of the Vancouver goal….
None of their (Vancouver) forwards wasted time or energy trying to fight their way through to the Regina cage and run the chance of the Caps breaking away and plunging past a weakened barricade.

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]09 Jan 1923: 14.
MacKay listed across from Lalonde just as F
The forwards back checked in amazing style and broke up play after play before it had hardly got underway. Without a doubt the Vancouver machine is the greatest that has ever appeared here…..

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]17 Feb 1925: 13.
The maroons continued their strong defensive tactics, seemingly content to the let the waves of prairie rushes break on the phalanx of Moran, Duncan and MacKay

The Calgary Daily Herald (1908-1939); Calgary, Alberta [Calgary, Alberta]20 Mar 1923: 16.
At the face-off Cy Dennny seized the puck and got as far as the Vancouver blue line where MacKay’s hook check cut short his progresss…Ottawa came back strongly with brilliant two men and three men attacks which went to pieces on MacKay’s defence.

Your problem my friend is you take things way too personally. Like I used to.

I don't call out people who make arguments I feel are not correct for "misrepresentation". I simply address the point made. You routinely say I lie and manipulate the narrative and yet there is no one, not even remotely close, that puts the time and effort into this part of the draft as I do. I doubt you'll find anyone who would challenge me there. I don't hear other people clamoring about this.

Nothing I'm saying about MacKay is misrepresnted. I read your bio, as I've done with the others and have a good working knowledge of MacKay. Feel free to disagree, but continuing to call me out as purposely misrepresenting MacKay's value is just lame.

1. His offensive finishes in non consolidated leagues are a clear tier below Joe Malone.

Especially when you consider who these guys were skating with. You cannot compare Quebec and Vancouver. It's night and day.

So I gave him an 80, for that, and playing out at RW, without a specific breakdowns, I'm not willing to move off that. If Malone's a 95 then what can MacKay be having inferior finishes? 90? 85? @Dreakmur

And again, say he is a 90. That clearly uses significant finishes offensively at C/R, so his offensive value is absolutely tied, quite a lot of actually, into that position. If people value him at 90, then feel free to add 10 points to the overall scores I compiled, but I don't think he's a 90.

That's called context.

2. You also fail to understand that quantity matters in making arguments stick.

Do you really think there is as much/more in MacKay's bio defensively, as a RW, than say Smokey Harris, the guy who was cited as arguably the best defensive winger in the PCHA from his 2nd full year in the early teens all the way through the early 1920's?

Or are we just going to dismiss those numerous entries because "it's Smokey Harris".

MacKay is obviously a great defensive player. I never disputed that. The fact is his game was very much like Nighbor defensively and that means taking away C ice with a poke/stick check. Yes, he'll backcheck and strip people at times. I'm NOT saying he's a liability or even average.

Simply pointing out that at RW, his effectiveness decreases by playing near the wall. He can't take away the middle of the ice without getting out of position and given the speed of Pittsburgh's wingers, isn't really a smart idea.

3. Here is your breakdown.

After Taylor retired, the Millionaires/Maroons lucked into getting Frank Boucher from out east. This coincided with the rover being removed from the PCHA. Mackay would spend his remaining time out west playing a little C (Boucher was the regular C), D (including in the 22-23 season for a sizable chunk) and W
1914-15 - C, eastern rules LW (according to Trail)
1915-16 - C
1916-17 - C
1917-18 - C, eastern rules RW/LW
1918-19 - R
1920-21- R
1921-22 - R, part time W. Eastern rules C
1922-23 - MacKay starts the season on D, plays about 8-10 games from there (early Nov-early Jan) before playing wing/RW regularly beside Boucher
1923-24 - W
1924-25 - W
1925-26 - W
1926-27 - Chicago is doing some weird stuff with their roster if you look at the personnel it kinda makes sense (when they get picked we can talk about it) C/W
1927-28 - W/C

So let me get this straight:

A guy who played C/R almost exclusively fro 1914-15 through 1921-22 and then plays RW, apparently all the time, next to Frank Boucher?

Was MacKay a RW exclusively from 1922-23 through 1925-26?

Even IF he was, that is far less than time than Rover/C next to a playmaking dominant C like Boucher? Lalonde, is not a playmaking dominant C is he?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Top 6 Offensive Values: (VsX7 and ES VsX)

Pittsburgh's Top Line:

Malone = *95.0 VsX7 - *64 ES VsX
(Dreak calculated Malone at 95 or 96 IIRC and I took 95 x .33 to come up with estimated ES VsX)

Bucyk = 88.7 VsX7- 60 ES VsX
Martinec = *82.5 VsX7 - *56 ES VsX

(I think this score is low considering that puts him on an Alfredsson level and I don't think Alf is the same class of offensive winger as Martinec. There is enough video evidence and international stats, especially against the Soviets and NA to put me in the camp this score undervalues Martinec. But hey I was told 85-90 seemed too high so compromises must be made in life. 82.5 x .33 got me ESVsX)

Pittsburgh Top Line = 266.2 VsX7 - 180 ES VsX

Arizon's Top Line:

Taylor = *105.0 VsX7 - *70 ES VsX
(Puts him slightly over Crosby and right between Mikita and Beliveau. I think this is more than fair. 105 x .33 got me ES VsX)

Jackson = 89.5 - *59 ES VsX
(89.5 x .33 for ES VsX)

Alfredsson = 82.3 - 55 ES VsX

Arizona's Top Line = 276.8 VsX7 - 184 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 2nd Line:

Cook = 76.3 VsX7 - *51 ES VsX
*76.3 x .33 to represent 33% PP scoring which is probably high. Trying to be unbiased

Lemaire = 77.9 VsX7 - 55 ES VsX
Cournoyer = 77.1 - 48 ES VsX

Pittsburgh's Second Line = 231.3 VsX7 - 154 ES VsX

Arizona's 2nd Line:

Lalonde = *100.0 VsX7 - *67 ESVsX
(pretty sure I saw Dreak come up with a 98 something but I’ll round Newsy up to an even Ben Franklin. 100 x .33 to represent PP scoring)

MacKay = *80.0 VsX7 - *54 ES VsX

Prentice = 67.0 VsX7 - 51 ES VsX

Arizona's Second Line = 247.0 VsX7 - 172 ES VsX

I’m sure RB will kick and scream over this but 80 is at least close. Consider:

Mickey MacKay Non Consolidated finishes of:

2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 6, 9, 10th x 3

Joe Malone Non Consolidated Finishes of:
1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 4*, 5, 6, 7, 13**

*1920-21 - Malone finished 4th outright but missed 4 games. 37 points in 20 games. 1.85 x 4 = 7.4
Adding another 7 points to his total would have seen him win the scoring title by 1 point over Lalonde

**1914-15 - Malone finished 13th but missed 8 of the 20 games. He had 21 goals in 12 games. 1.75 x 8 = 15. He would have finished 3rd overall with a full slate of games at the pace he set through 12 games.

Then consider MacKay played his entire career for the Millionaire, the most stacked hockey rosters outside of the Pete Green 20's Senators.

And until we get a much more detailed version of the scoring/game breakdowns of his time at RW, you can’t legitimately assign a max value to MacKay given the bulk of his career did come at C/R.

Could he be worth more than a relative 80? Sure, but I'm not convinced he is as of now.

Plus, as I’ve already highlighted as did @Hawkey town last series, MacKay loses a good bit of his defensive value as he was a neutral zone poke/hook check artist. He molded that style after Nighbor and playing RW robs his ability to play in that C ice area.

Honestly, how much of a gap is there between MacKay as a RW and Cournoyer as a RW?

The latter of which is playing with his real life linemates of multiple seasons, the best seasons of their career came skating together, including a pair of SC's (71 and 73) which saw them post great postseason numbers and Cournoyer win a Conn Smythe (73)

Canadians1958 and @BenchBrawl fully fleshed out the myth of Guy Lafleur inflating their numbers.
Here you can see C1958 (watched his entire career) pointing out that Lemaire was actually great at generating transition.

Cournoyer vs Lemaire

Pretince is Weak as 2nd Line Player:
Very legit argument he’s the worst 2nd liner on either squad considering his offensive output is below Cook’s and Cook can lay claim to being one of the best defensive wingers of his era and an elite PK’er. These are fully detailed by both in by bio done this year via game reports and contemporary praise outside NY.

You can’t say Prentice is a better skater. Not better offensively. If you want to shave some points from Cook to get them even, no big deal. Prentice is not better defensively. Cook's bio puts him ahead IMO. Just way more total info on the defensive/PK game to include contemporary praise from cities outside NY. Cook played on multiple Cup winners so experience in this environment favors Cook.

Cook’s clearly a better PK’er considering his PK ability is specifically talked about as being as good or better than anyone by papers outside NY and was compared to elite HOF’ers in his ability to rag the puck on the kill. He was also clearly being used a lot on the kill before he even set foot in the NHL when he was out west in the WCHL.

Prentice doesn’t show up on the special teams report usage chart for the kill so I’m assuming he was under 30% for his career. He scored 16 points on the kill in well over 1300 games so he clearly wasn’t much of a threat to register for you there.

And furthermore, putting a weak offensive player like Pretenic on the line, makes it easier to defend for Pittsburgh and that's fine by me, considering the back end Pittsburgh has. Prentice is weak and MacKay in a secondary position which strips him of at least a little bit of his overall value.

Arizona's Top 6 = 276.8 + 247.0 = 523.8 VsX7 - 356 ES VsX

Pittsburgh's Top 6 =
266.2 + 231.3 = 497.5 - 334 ES VsX

Top 9 Offensive Value (VsX7 and ES VsX):

Pittsburgh 3rd Line:

Tanguay = 73.4 VsX7 – 58 ES VsX
Hawerchuk = 86.0 VsX7 – 58 ES VsX
Anderson = 72.9 VsX7 – 55 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 3rd Line = 232.3 - 171 ES

Arizona's 3rd Line:

Walker = *60.0 VsX7 – 48 ES VsX
(60 x .20 to represent 20% of scoring on PP which is likely generous considering guys played most/all of the game so they’d have been on the ice essentially any time there was a man advantage situation.

(Two 4th place finishes and 8, 9, 9 , 10 in non-consolidated leagues is not impressive for me to get him out of the 60 range and it’s not like he wasn’t skating with some serious talent on his rosters. Here he's playing a pure checking role. I think 60 is extremely generous and ES score slightly generous.)

Lepine = 52.9 VsX7 – 47 ES VsX*
(52.9 x .10 which is essentially giving him nothing on the PP. Trying to be generous w/these scores. BTW, Lepine's VsX7 is legit, using yearly benchmarks)

Oatman = *65.0 VsX7 – *52 ES VsX
(65 x .20)

Compare his scoring finishes in the PCHA to Smokey Harris who IIRC comes in via Dreak at 67.2

Harris Consolidated:
3rd(1921), 4th(1919), 7th(1920), 8th(1913), 17th(1917),

Oatman Consolidated:
7th(1920), 9th(1918), 11th(1912), 11th(1914), 12th(1915), 12th(1916), 12th(1919), 15th(1917)

You can see Harris clearly has the peak advantage w/Oatman sustaining that depth scoring ability longer. These 2 should come in very close to another another. I'm sure Dreak will correct me if this is off by more than a few points either way.

Arizona's 3rd Line = 177.9 - 147 ES

Pittsburgh's Top 9 = 266.2 + 231.3 + 232.3 = 729.8 overall - 505 ES VsX

Arizona's Top 9
= 172.9 (3rd line) + 523.8 (Top 6) = 701.7 VsX7 - 503 ES VsX

Overview:

Pittsburgh bridges the offensive gap with a very strong 3rd line, pulling ahead in overall VsX and getting even at ES.

Factoring in Orr:

Pittsburgh Top Line + Orr = 381.0 VsX7 - 244 ES VsX
(Orr is 114.8 VsX7 and 64 ES VsX)

Arizona Top Line + Clapper = 327.8 VsX 7 - 225 ES VsX
(51.0 for Clapper x .20 for estimated ES VsX)

Pittsburgh's 2nd Line + Orr = 346.1 VsX7 - 218 ES VsX

Arizona's 2nd Line + Ckapper = 298.0 VsX7 - 213 ES VsX

Pittsburgh 3rd Line + Orr = 347.1 VsX7 - 235 ES VsX

Arizona's 3rd Line = 228.9 VsX7 - 147 ES VsX

Ok lets pick through the parts of this that matter in all the noise

1) You list Bobby Orr for all three of your lines.....you realize he can't be on the ice with them all of the time right? But I get it a nice and easy way to inflate your line's scores
2) Lemaire was good in transition sure....but he doesn't pile up the points without Lafleur being there to convert on them.
3) I won't be "kicking and screaming" about MacKay's score and I find the implications of that language a bit rude. Your score is reasonably accurate
4) Prentice's offence is low for a second line but he's a better checker than Bun Cook and didn't have the luxury of playing with Frank Boucher and Bill Cook
5) Again just because we misunderstood MacKay's career doesn't mean sweet f*** all. He was a RW and defensive conscience from the wing for the Millionaires in the 20s. I don't have all the time in the world to work on my PCHA project full time. But I have enough evidence that he was definitely a winger and 95% of the time the RWer and plenty of quotes as I just posted about his defence. His best offensive season was 1915 with Taylor & Nighbor up front. Then his next best was on the wing with Boucher, with all due respect you're incorrect and you're intentionally trying to muddy the waters.
6) Bucyk's VsX is bad and despite being corrected for playing with Bobby Orr during potentially the weakest era in NHL history it's still somehow inflated. Bucyk was a fine player before Orr but his numbers are juiced like Barry Bonds once Orr and Esposito show up. Despite having Orr he doesn't have Esposito and the quality of his opponents is much higher.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
2. You also fail to understand that quantity matters in making arguments stick.

Do you really think there is as much/more in MacKay's bio defensively, as a RW, than say Smokey Harris, the guy who was cited as arguably the best defensive winger in the PCHA from his 2nd full year in the early teens all the way through the early 1920's?

Or are we just going to dismiss those numerous entries because "it's Smokey Harris".

MacKay is obviously a great defensive player. I never disputed that. The fact is his game was very much like Nighbor defensively and that means taking away C ice with a poke/stick check. Yes, he'll backcheck and strip people at times. I'm NOT saying he's a liability or even average.

Simply pointing out that at RW, his effectiveness decreases by playing near the wall. He can't take away the middle of the ice without getting out of position and given the speed of Pittsburgh's wingers, isn't really a smart idea.

3. Here is your breakdown.

After Taylor retired, the Millionaires/Maroons lucked into getting Frank Boucher from out east. This coincided with the rover being removed from the PCHA. Mackay would spend his remaining time out west playing a little C (Boucher was the regular C), D (including in the 22-23 season for a sizable chunk) and W
1914-15 - C, eastern rules LW (according to Trail)
1915-16 - C
1916-17 - C
1917-18 - C, eastern rules RW/LW
1918-19 - R
1920-21- R
1921-22 - R, part time W. Eastern rules C
1922-23 - MacKay starts the season on D, plays about 8-10 games from there (early Nov-early Jan) before playing wing/RW regularly beside Boucher
1923-24 - W
1924-25 - W
1925-26 - W
1926-27 - Chicago is doing some weird stuff with their roster if you look at the personnel it kinda makes sense (when they get picked we can talk about it) C/W
1927-28 - W/C

So let me get this straight:

A guy who played C/R almost exclusively fro 1914-15 through 1921-22 and then plays RW, apparently all the time, next to Frank Boucher?

Was MacKay a RW exclusively from 1922-23 through 1925-26?

Even IF he was, that is far less than time than Rover/C next to a playmaking dominant C like Boucher? Lalonde, is not a playmaking dominant C is he?

Smokey Harris actually played a lot of rover during this time period. Edit: 1915 he was Portland's rover full time

Yes almost exclusively. Besides 1915 his best offensive seasons are all there. And he was clearly still a high impact defensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad