Speculation: Jim Nills future with DRW?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
With that in mind, here's a look at 10 assistant GMs ready to run their own teams for the first time:

1. Jim Nill, Red Wings
In February, colleague Pierre LeBrun reported that Nill's contract includes a six-week out window in which he can leave the Red Wings starting this offseason. The bit of flexibility in his personal services contract with the Ilitch family is something rebuilding teams should take advantage of in the summer. There's not an NHL executive more prepared and ready to run his own team than Nill. He has encyclopedia-like knowledge of every young player already in the NHL or on the way in the next few seasons and the Red Wings' ability to stay competitive without the assistance of first-round picks near the top of the draft is a credit to his ability to identify and develop talent.

"He's got tremendous gut instincts based upon his playing day career and 20ish years of player assessment," wrote Red Wings GM Ken Holland in an email. And there's not a more quality individual in the league than Nill. "He treats people and the game with respect," Holland said. Detroit's CBA expert and salary-cap manager Ryan Martin is another strong mind who deserves consideration, especially with his background on the other side of the table when he worked as an agent with Kurt Overhardt.

Don't have access to the full article..

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog...-jim-nill-tops-10-candidates-become-gm-summer

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It wouldn't surprise me if he left to try it on his own. We would miss his draft day insights but I think we've got someone ready to jump in for a new challenge.

I could see him going to Philly, Dallas, Phoenix (assuming they lose Maloney & relocate), Colorado & possibly Calgary. Someone would have to be fired for him to be able to sneak in.

Though if we loss both guys like they suggested I would not be amused. You can't hate on them for furthering there career but it's hard losing those type of people. How many GMs would have come through the Wings, Bryan Murrary, Holland, Nill & Martin? Not only do we use the over ripping method on our prospects we use it on potential GMs as well. :laugh:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Put Holland at Jimmy D's position, promote Nill. Promote Andersson or Martin to assistant.

I know we talk trash about Holland now, but he's a great hockey mind who should be kept aboard in some capacity.

I think Andersson would be better off staying in Europe to scout for us. Unless we're going to lose him I think that's where he fits best, he's already away from his family a lot and he'd be further away if he was the AGM.

Captain Mittens*

I am REALLY surprised he's been in Det as long as he has and hasn't taken a job, I know he's rumored in most of them and I know the Kings had some interest before they hired Lombardi.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It isn't like they have blocked Nill from interviewing anyway. Right now there are not a lot of jobs that are out there that I expect him to be very interested. Keep in mind he turned down Montreal last summer.

I think he will be a fantastic GM, but I think he also understands the timeline of when that will happen with the Wings and is waiting to be one here.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If he hasn't left yet, I don't see why he would any time in the future. The team is trending downwards and he may finally get his chance.

RedWingsNow*

One guy instrumental in the Detroit Red Wings story who rarely gets mention is Jim Lites.

If I remember, he left when the Stars moved to Dallas. But his contributions to this franchise are immeasurable.

RedWingsNow*

On RWC a poster said Nill's wife is battling cancer and that it's unlikely Nill would want to leave the area now

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
On RWC a poster said Nill's wife is battling cancer and that it's unlikely Nill would want to leave the area now

Plus all of his children live in the area. But the cancer thing I have heard before, it is believed that is the reason he wouldn't go to Montreal. Face it and I know there are a lot of great places for cancer treatment, but U of M is one of the very best in the entire country. They have kept that story very quiet though, would not surprise me if she is in remission at least I would hope that is the case with as long as this rumor has been floating around, if not that doesn't bode well for the outcome at this point.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That is what happens when you divorce Denise Ilitch, kind of have to leave at that point.

Yeah, and pretty much the probability for Lites comeback is near zero.

I don't believe Nill will ever leave us because of those family reasons. He will be promoted to Red Wings GM at summer of 2015.

RedWingsNow*

Yeah, and pretty much the probability for Lites comeback is near zero.

I don't believe Nill will ever leave us because of those family reasons. He will be promoted to Red Wings GM at summer of 2015.

You have the entire succession of the Red Wings management and team figured out, haven't you?:laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Holland always joked he'd retire when Nick Lidstrom retired. You can argue he put it on auto pilot last year but whatever. Just ascend up to a ceremonial post and let Nill get his chance. He's put in his time and proven himself. Don't make him go through the over-ripe thing. :facepalm:

CloneHakanPlease*

Give Holland some advisory/figurehead position and give Nill the GM job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->