Jim Nill with the Stars?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's pretty good at trades? Outside of that Seguin one, which other trades has he been "good at" that makes him good at trades?

Dude should never be allowed to sign big contracts to UFA's.

You joking? Got Seguin, Spezza, Johns, and Sharp all basically for free. Team just couldnt do anything with it, but they were excellent trades by him. Also the Erik Cole for Janmark+ was an steal for us too. Also got good returns for Oduya and Jordie Benn considering how awful they ended up being for the teams they were traded too.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Way too much emphasis on drafting.

He isn't the Director of Amateur scouting or a team scout.

He is however responsible for those hires.

But saying he is bad at drafting is stupid.

When Heiskanen, who fell into Nill's lap, steps on the ice for his second game of the season in 2018 he will have played more games for the Stars than every pick Nill made in 2014, 2015 and 2016 combined not named Honka.

Is that bad luck, bad scouting or bad drafting? Or all of those?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You joking? Got Seguin, Spezza, Johns, and Sharp all basically for free. Team just couldnt do anything with it, but they were excellent trades by him. Also the Erik Cole for Janmark+ was an steal for us too. Also got good returns for Oduya and Jordie Benn considering how awful they ended up being for the teams they were traded too.

Janmark as the main piece was pretty risky given he had a career threatening injury. I am glad it has worked out but the other angle on that trade that was very realistic is he passed up on prying safer assets than what he went for. His trading is fine, but his bad drafting is about to compromise that too here shortly. If you don't have guys worth swapping players for you get yourself into trouble.

I think it would be big if he parted ways with McDonnell. I honestly have really disliked that combo for a while now.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
When Heiskanen, who fell into Nill's lap, steps on the ice for his second game of the season in 2018 he will have played more games for the Stars than every pick Nill made in 2014, 2015 and 2016 combined not named Honka.

Is that bad luck, bad scouting or bad drafting? Or all of those?

I think the drafting and development are both issues that contribute to the lack of anything other than bottom 6 players. I hope the coaching for the Texas Stars changes and moves toward relying on younger guys to take charge instead of leaning heavily on older AHLers every season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Was the Sharp add excellent? He was good one year then bad the next. John's is still the piece of that which matters. But how was that for free?

It's interesting in the Schultz and jamie Oleksiak trades the giving up of those players are knocked. But not that Nill let go of Daley itself ever seen as bad. Maybe that 1 good season could of been 2.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
The Stars have tread water over the last two seasons and the drafting has been subpar, but don't forget that the team that Nill inherited had Eric Nystrom, Steve Ott and Erik Cole as important top-6 forwards. Kari Lehtonen was the only reason the early 2010's Stars never finished bottom-5 in the league.

He turned a dumpster fire into a 2nd-place President's Trophy team in 3 seasons and the Stars would've made the playoffs this year barring an actual historic collapse. If they miss the playoffs again next year I could see him on the very hot seat, but his good has outweighed his bad for me so far.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Robbed the Seguin Trade

Robbed the Spezza Trade

Robbed the Sharp/Johns Trade

Robbed the Pateryn Trade

Robbed the Erik Cole for Janmark/Roope Hintz Trade
Thanks for a list. It's annoying when people claim a thing like that and then done provide examples. I appreciate that.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
If he misses the playoffs this year I’d like to move on, but doubt we will. Think he’s been an okay GM.

We should get a better look at his drafting this season. Dickinson, Nichushkin, Honka, Elie should all play regularly in the NHL. Maybe Hintz. Overall the drafting has been bad though.

He’s made lots of good moves and put our team in a much better place than when he first arrived. He is however enjoying many of the players drafted by past management; Benn, Klingberg, Faksa, and Lindell. While he’s been able to sign and trade for impact players none have been drafted as of yet (maybe Heiskanen).

My worry is I don’t know if he’s going to be able to get us to the next level as a contender.

Reactions: Kcb12345

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Janmark as the main piece was pretty risky given he had a career threatening injury. I am glad it has worked out but the other angle on that trade that was very realistic is he passed up on prying safer assets than what he went for. His trading is fine, but his bad drafting is about to compromise that too here shortly. If you don't have guys worth swapping players for you get yourself into trouble.

I think it would be big if he parted ways with McDonnell. I honestly have really disliked that combo for a while now.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Janmark never had any injury issues when the trade took place. It was Erik Cole, 35 and broken, who Detroit got something like 7 games from while Dallas got Mattias Janmark, Mattias Backman, and a 2nd Round Pick (Roope Hintz).

That trade was robbery of the highest level both at the time and even more so today.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not sure what you are talking about.

Janmark never had any injury issues when the trade took place. It was Erik Cole, 35 and broken, who Detroit got something like 7 games from while Dallas got Mattias Janmark, Mattias Backman, and a 2nd Round Pick (Roope Hintz).

That trade was robbery of the highest level both at the time and even more so today.

The reason Janmark sat out an entire year to a knee injury was something the Wings said about him at the time of the trade. That osteochondritis dissecans was known at the time of the trade.

Cole injured his neck, he was promising at the start of the trade. Not a whole lot lost there, I cannot say I really miss any of those guys. I am glad Janmark is turning into something and is still playing after the first injury that really tested his condition. I think with Cole Detroit likely beats Tampa in the first round that year in a tight series he would have helped a lot.

I think putting that one up there with star trades makes it stick out a little. But again even his nicest depth player had to be acquired by trade and was not drafted by him but Hakan Andersson for the Wings. If he cannot start pulling more out of the draft you won't win on trades and UFA signings alone. There needs to be a balance there to be successful.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
The reason Janmark sat out an entire year to a knee injury was something the Wings said about him at the time of the trade. That osteochondritis dissecans was known at the time of the trade.

Cole injured his neck, he was promising at the start of the trade. Not a whole lot lost there, I cannot say I really miss any of those guys. I am glad Janmark is turning into something and is still playing after the first injury that really tested his condition. I think with Cole Detroit likely beats Tampa in the first round that year in a tight series he would have helped a lot.

I think putting that one up there with star trades makes it stick out a little. But again even his nicest depth player had to be acquired by trade and was not drafted by him but Hakan Andersson for the Wings. If he cannot start pulling more out of the draft you won't win on trades and UFA signings alone. There needs to be a balance there to be successful.

Is there a source on that? First I'm hearing of it.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
At the time doesn't matter? Spezza was great after he was traded here. The re-signing? Yeah doesn't look so hot right now.

Not like we have him for another 3 years and has handicapped us salary wise. One more year left on his contract and he is expected to bounce back now that Hitch is out.

Nothing wrong with the acquisition/re-signing of Spez. We don't get Spez without an extension.

Reactions: Elysian

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Dallas was in rough shape when Nill got there. He's filled the arena and they are in much better shape talent wise. Changed the Jerseys up. They have some good players.

A GM change can be a pretty major thing to do, and it's not any guarantee the next guy and all the people he brings in will be any better. If he misses the playoffs again I'd maybe start to wonder, hard to win without good drafting. Scouting and player development can also be the most difficult thing to rebuild.

Probably lives and dies with Ben Bishop.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Quotes from Janmark about the knee issues seemed to be a shock to him when it started affecting him and they discovered what it was.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad