Jim McKenzie on the lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I don't want just a tax.Major League Baseball thought a luxury tax would reign in the big spenders,spread the $ around,keep salaries down.Yankee payroll is up around $186m.One Hundred and eighty-six million dollars :shakehead

Yeah a luxury tax has really kept baseball salaries down.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
CREW99AW said:
I don't want just a tax.Major League Baseball thought a luxury tax would reign in the big spenders,spread the $ around,keep salaries down.Yankee payroll is up around $186m.One Hundred and eighty-six million dollars :shakehead

Also, how are the teams with less revenue going to keep their star players? Restricted free agents will just go to arbitration and as the salaries continue to go up they simply won't be able to pay salary at that level. Sure the bottom of the league may get a couple of million here and there, but how will that pay for a player or two at 6 million plus?

Plus, it's always nice to be free and easy with other peoples money isn't it? Yeah! That's bargaining.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
CREW99AW said:

The problem is MLB luxury tax is a weak tax system. When the tax number starts at 120 million and it's only a 17% tax it doesn't do much effect. If MLB set the number at 80 million and a 100% tax you can bet payrolls would come down.

Feb 12, 2003
I'd prefer a very hefty luxury tax with the proceeds going towards all teams under the cap equally rather than a hard cap. The luxury tax would have to be at least dollar for dollar, if not much more, and the threshold can't be that high either. It doesn't solve the whole equation, but it's an alternative that the owners should be presented with by the PA. Of course, I'm not so sure that the PA would propose a hefty luxury tax either, because it would create a drag on spending for the teams who obviously have the tendency to spend the most.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
CREW99AW said:

Baseball is in a different category. You can buy teams in baseball where chemistry isn't all that important. In hockey if you have a powerfull tax most teams would shy away from that not wanting to take a chance like the Rags did. Chemistry is everything in hockey.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
''How could a luxury cap be detrimental to a team like us?'' McKenzie said. ''That way, if a team like Detroit or the New York Rangers wanted to spend a lot of money, you tax them and bring the money back here. You get a few extra million dollars out of a deal like that and maybe you can afford to go get the player that makes you a Stanley Cup contender.

''We'd be like, 'Hey, nice signing, guys. Please do it again for us.'''

Jim's been punched in the head too many times if he thinks the NHLPA's proposal does anything to help the Predators compete. Under the NHLPA's last proposal, 7 teams would pay tax, raising a grand total of (wait for it) $9.77 million league-wide. Whoa. Divide that among the other 23 teams, and it gives each team a whopping $424,782. That doesn't even pay for ... Jim McKenzie.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
oilers_guy_eddie said:
Jim's been punched in the head too many times if he thinks the NHLPA's proposal does anything to help the Predators compete. Under the NHLPA's last proposal, 7 teams would pay tax, raising a grand total of (wait for it) $9.77 million league-wide. Whoa. Divide that among the other 23 teams, and it gives each team a whopping $424,782. That doesn't even pay for ... Jim McKenzie.

exactly...that's why I try NOT to read the Titanseean...eeerrr Tennessean.

:shakehead

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Seven_Nation_Army said:
exactly...that's why I try NOT to read the Titanseean...eeerrr Tennessean.

:shakehead

Jim said it, not David Climer or Joe Biddle or even John Glennon. I think a luxury tax could work if the threshold was lowered to say...35-40 million, as the league ORIGINALLY proposed. I don't see a cap ever coming about, but I do think a luxury tax in that neighborhood would be a good system.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
What's your take on this particular quote? And is it true? How much did they lose exactly?

''What I don't understand is if our payroll was around $25 million last season and we were losing money, then how does a salary cap in the mid-30s help?'' McKenzie said. ''How does that bring in more money?''

Well, unless Craig Leipold is lying, the loss wasn't too bad,

"nothing we can't handle," but he(and I) worry about what things could BECOME.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nomorekids said:
Well, unless Craig Leipold is lying, the loss wasn't too bad,

"nothing we can't handle," but he(and I) worry about what things could BECOME.

Thanks.

I must admit I am a bit surprised at losses despite a little playoof hockey and a rather modest payroll. They certainly need to make adjustment because it is true, it could become a problem later down the road.

No amount of capping can help in such a case. A luxury tax could help but even then... it's pretty tough to maintain such a small payroll.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Thanks.

I must admit I am a bit surprised at losses despite a little playoof hockey and a rather modest payroll. They certainly need to make adjustment because it is true, it could become a problem later down the road.

No amount of capping can help in such a case. A luxury tax could help but even then... it's pretty tough to maintain such a small payroll.

If i'm not mistaken, the Flames had only a slightly higher payroll and a great deal of playoff success, and only made a pretty small amount of money. Nashville's case was largely due to the fact that in the early part of the season..when the team was doing pretty mediocre, attendance dipped about as low as it ever got. When they say losses, the number I read was about 3 million...and Leipold\Poile seem to believe that's the kind of thing that's going to work out. We'll see, though.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nomorekids said:
If i'm not mistaken, the Flames had only a slightly higher payroll and a great deal of playoff success, and only made a pretty small amount of money. Nashville's case was largely due to the fact that in the early part of the season..when the team was doing pretty mediocre, attendance dipped about as low as it ever got. When they say losses, the number I read was about 3 million...and Leipold\Poile seem to believe that's the kind of thing that's going to work out. We'll see, though.

Yeah, I'd like to see the numbers for all teams, see if a luxury tax is desperately needed for several markets.

I must admit by memory I don't pay too much attention to the different $ figures in the NHL (total salary masses, attendances, profits, losses) too often. If you find the Flames figures, throw them my way.

One thing I remember is they had to solve that unbelievably dumb situation with Roman Tur-hack. Just one buyout on a stupid contract can set you back. The Flames have made some slight mistakes like that under the former regime. However they went pretty so deep in the playoffs, you'd think they would be profitable.

The thing with the Preds is that I have always heard they were more of a model franchise financially.The NHL has to work for teams who are spending smartly or we have a problem. Personally, I like luxury taxes mixed with some sort of soft cap. There are many ways to make things work but it has to work for everybody.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Yeah, I'd like to see the numbers for all teams, see if a luxury tax is desperately needed for several markets.

I must admit by memory I don't pay too much attention to the different $ figures in the NHL (total salary masses, attendances, profits, losses) too often. If you find the Flames figures, throw them my way.

One thing I remember is they had to solve that unbelievably dumb situation with Roman Tur-hack. Just one buyout on a stupid contract can set you back. The Flames have made some slight mistakes like that under the former regime. However they went pretty so deep in the playoffs, you'd think they would be profitable.

The thing with the Preds is that I have always heard they were more of a model franchise financially.The NHL has to work for teams who are spending smartly or we have a problem. Personally, I like luxury taxes mixed with some sort of soft cap. There are many ways to make things work but it has to work for everybody.

agreed. it's that mindset that allows me to grin and bear it through a lockout, and would like to see positive results, regardless of the time it takes to get them.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
actually I think the Flames made a 'decent' profit this year (12 home playoff dates doesn't hurt)...but the profit didn't go far, given 7 previous years of non playoff hockey etc...I guess I should try and find the actual profit figure so I end up sounding like I know something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad