Jim Hughson is a bad announcer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I know that popular opinion is that Jim Hughson is the best announcer going these days but here's my opinion: he's brutal. He was the Canuck's radio announcer for a few years before heading to sportsnet, and now CBC (though I know he's been around longer than that). The man is trite, irritating, and just not very good.
Here's an example from the Czech/Sweden game that is on right now. He keeps calling Hemsky Olesz and vice-versa. I know that their jersey numbers are close, wears Olesz wears #85, and Hemsky #83, but my god, they don't even shoot the same way (Olesz=left, Hemsky=right) and Olesz is way bigger than Hemsky. Obviously this alone is not enough to condemn him, but I really dislike him as an announcer overall. Somewhat paradoxically, I think he's an excellent interviewer (has a show called Snapshots on Sportsnet), so please Jim, quit announcing and stay with Snapshots. I wonder who out there agrees with me, and who disagrees.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
MOGiLNY said:
I think he's alright.. My favourite commentators are Greg Millen and Joe Bowen

I hope to all things holy you are joking.

I know its just personal taste, but if you like Greg Millen as an announcer...well...I needn't say anything further.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Alan Jackson said:

I know its just personal taste, but if you like Greg Millen as an announcer...well...I needn't say anything further.

oops sorry, I'm thinking of the other guy. the one on TSN who does WJC with Mcguire

sergevlem

Oct 23, 2003
MarkusNaslund19 said:
I know that popular opinion is that Jim Hughson is the best announcer going these days but here's my opinion: he's brutal. He was the Canuck's radio announcer for a few years before heading to sportsnet, and now CBC (though I know he's been around longer than that). The man is trite, irritating, and just not very good.
Here's an example from the Czech/Sweden game that is on right now. He keeps calling Hemsky Olesz and vice-versa. I know that their jersey numbers are close, wears Olesz wears #85, and Hemsky #83, but my god, they don't even shoot the same way (Olesz=left, Hemsky=right) and Olesz is way bigger than Hemsky. Obviously this alone is not enough to condemn him, but I really dislike him as an announcer overall. Somewhat paradoxically, I think he's an excellent interviewer (has a show called Snapshots on Sportsnet), so please Jim, quit announcing and stay with Snapshots. I wonder who out there agrees with me, and who disagrees.

haha he just clled Hemsky, Olez after HEmsky's goal:)

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
MOGiLNY said:
oops sorry, I'm thinking of the other guy. the one on TSN who does WJC with Mcguire

Gord Miller??? That guy is so annoying when he yells 'Scores'. Miller is a gerbil in my opinion. Hughson is awesome compared to Miller.

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
Bob cole 15 years ago was ok, I actually dont mind Hughson after years of watching the canucks you get used to him and hes hilarious at times.

One thing about him, if your watching him do a canucks minnesota game, he and I think its John Garret (king of the canucks homers) wont even talk about the game being played for minutes...

blah

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Hughson is the consummate professional.
intelligent... diligent... respectful...

The announcers are in cramped quarters with obstructed/limited views.
I'll even cut Cole some slack for these games. ;)

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
'He works gingerly past Mccabe....' I like Hughson's vocabulary when he's calling games. He's great in EA sports also.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I get kind of annoyed listening to him gush like a 14 year old girl over the Sedin twins. "OMG! The Sedin slap pass! Those guys are just delicious!".

I guess its kind of hard not to have bias towards your team though. He is great otherwise, and is especially good when he does games where there aren't any Canucks involved.

They should get a new colour guy to do the games with him though. Greg Millen is mentally Pejorative Slured. The only time anything he says is entertaining is when he says something so dumb that Hughson just has to step in and school him.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Paul Romanuk was really good for TSN, and actually I think Joe Bowen is one of the best. Naturally he favours the Leafs, but he's not nearly the homer that some of the other announcers are. He actually does get excited if the other team makes a great play, and I think makes an effort not to be too one-sided.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I am so glad Hughson doesn't overstate his "THAT'S HOCKEY!!!!!" phrase anymore. When he first started using it, it was fine. Then, it seemed he said it about 100 times a game...."Gilmour, passes to Andreychuk...THAT'S HOCKEY!!!!!!!" :biglaugh:

Ugh. :madfire:

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Alan Jackson said:

Then I guess this will blow your mind away:

I like Millen, McGuire, *and* Cuthbert.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I think Hughson is a great announcer. I loathe Greg Millen. One who Sportsnet viewers will probably know that I also like is John Garret. When he first came on the scene I didnt care for him at all, but he grew on me.

Chris Cuthbert became the best announcer on TSN the minute he showed up. Miller and Maguire are terrible. I cant imagine what it would have been like having Maguire as a coach. Randorf was good on Sports Page, but I'm not a fan of his announcing.

I still get a kick out of Bob Cole and Harry Neale. They seem pretty senile sometimes (in '02 he referred to Team Canada as "The Leafs" a couple times, and called Markus "Mats Naslund") reminding me of the old men in the balcony on the muppet show. But Cole's voice is just classic Canadiana. Hearing him call the Swiss-Canada game was cool. "This is goaltending we're witnessing here folks!"

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Speaking of bad announcers, has anyone else in Europe watched the Eurosport hockey broadcasts (in English)? They're not very good. They use the the wrong expressions, and they're often late calling goals. You can tell they don't have the familiarity with the game that they should.

Bruins74

IT'S CALLED BRUINS?
Oct 30, 2005
Westlander said:
Paul Romanuk was really good for TSN, and actually I think Joe Bowen is one of the best. Naturally he favours the Leafs, but he's not nearly the homer that some of the other announcers are. He actually does get excited if the other team makes a great play, and I think makes an effort not to be too one-sided.

you've got to be kidding? Joe Bowen is one of the biggest homers ever! I haven't heard him get excited when the other team makes a good play, it's more like he gets excited when the Leafs screw up.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Hughson is a great announcer.

Of course there is going to be the odd mistake, these teams are new, the line combos are new, and often times the numbers on the uniforms are new. It's a hard enough job when everything is familiar, let alone when you toss in these variables.

As for gushing, folks here what they want to hear. I just heard him gush over Lundqvist, then Holmstrom a little while later. But if he gushes about the Sedins, the cries of "BIAS!" arise.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
At least Hughson knows the names. So he gets Hemsky and Olesz mixed up. That's infinitely better than Bob Cole with his "The German player skates the up the ice, the German player shoots. The German player scores!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->