Jim Coleman Conference Quarterfinals: (1) Kenora Thistles vs (2) Vancouver Millionaires

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
2nd Lines

Malkin > Lindros

Offense basis 7yr Vs.X

Malkin: 93.8 (includes 2017-18)
Toe Blake: 86.3
Lindros: 85.0
So that I can understand better, is Vs.X in this application a rate-based metric, or a quantity-based metric? [To clarify- is it based on total points in a season, or points-per-game within each season?]

Matchup
Lindros is not good enough defensively to handle Malkin, and at this point Malkin is a much better offensive player. Lindros obviously has a physical edge on Malkin, but Malkin has size, he doesn't use it aggressively to go after people, but he is not easy to push around, and does not get intimidated. Lindros will not be able to impose his will like he could against a smaller and/or softer center.
Here, I think it's worth asking: is Malkin good enough defensively to handle Lindros?? Lindros spent the prime of his career being the alpha-concern of any team playing against him. Malkin had no such worries- at least, so long as Crosby was healthy.

I couldn't begin to imagine regular-season rate-of-production numbers for prime Lindros if he was the second-best center on his team...

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
So that I can understand better, is Vs.X in this application a rate-based metric, or a quantity-based metric? [To clarify- is it based on total points in a season, or points-per-game within each season?]

Here, I think it's worth asking: is Malkin good enough defensively to handle Lindros?? Lindros spent the prime of his career being the alpha-concern of any team playing against him. Malkin had no such worries- at least, so long as Crosby was healthy.

I couldn't begin to imagine regular-season rate-of-production numbers for prime Lindros if he was the second-best center on his team...

Vs.x is a total points based metric so it does overly punish players who regularly missed games like Malkin, Lindros, and Geoffrion. Last year Bench Brawl did a per-game Vs.x to give another perspective. Based on this metric Malkin and Geoffrion are actually slightly ahead of Richard in a 7yr measure and Lindros moves up to be about even with Yzerman. Of course this metric does not punish players who regularly missed games enough.

As far as Malkin being the #2 on his team, I don't have time to dig up the numbers but isn't it pretty well known that Malkin's production doesn't decrease when Crosby is out? I even remember some saying he steps up his play and is even better than usual with Crosby out of the lineup.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I know that the games are most likely to be determined by the best/star players, but both of you have some pretty good extras on your teams. Would like to see some discussion on when and how they'd be deployed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->