Jim Benning vs Kyle Dubas

Who is the better GM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So you mean that because Vancouver with lesser players made it farther in the playoffs, cant be the reason people voted for Benning, its only people hating leafs ?

Pretty much, because you can't look at his trades, you certainly can't look at his free agent signings, the results on the ice don't say he's better

The ONLY thing you can say is well he drafted Petterson and Hughes but the reason he was able to do that is because the on ice product sucked a product that he built.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Kyle Dubas, by a zillion.
Canucks just won THREE games in a row old friend, its clearly this guy who has perfected sitting AND breathing at the SAME time

upload_2021-3-9_9-53-7.png

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Almost exactly 8 months since this poll came out, lots of people flip flopped but I'm shocked it's still this close.

Jim Benning had to reboot his roster 1 season after trading a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, top prospect to get into the playoffs (only happened because of the pandemic shutdown...)

Shocking system depth at center and defense and look miles off the pace of real contenders. Capped out with stars on ELC's, still has Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Micheal Ferland, Brayden Holtby and Antoine Roussel taking up $20m of cap space NEXT SEASON!!!!

Imagine voting Benning, I don't get it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dubas has put together a very good regular season team, but come playoff time they won't be able to compete with the league heavyweights. They have a lot of players who are proven passengers come playoff time.
I think you would find that playoff passenger statement difficult to support statistically.

Who are these passengers?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I know its a bumped old thread but Dubas has done a lot of growing in his role since this was created. He was all about the skill and thought that was all you needed to win and now has a much better understanding of how to build an NHL team to succeed in the playoffs

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I know its a bumped old thread but Dubas has done a lot of growing in his role since this was created. He was all about the skill and thought that was all you needed to win and now has a much better understanding of how to build an NHL team to succeed in the playoffs
It was 8 months ago lol.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It was 8 months ago lol.
Yes and seeing what Tampa did was likely pretty eye opening. Yzerman was almost in the same boat where he built a team from within and was almost scared to make trades to take it to the next level. I have no doubt Dubas saw that and as you see by the Foligno trade and Simmonds signing is trying to replicate it and insulate his stars

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Dubas gets fleeced on every signing/trade, but at least he has a good vision/direction for the team. Benning doesn't even have that.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

His process was draft and sign skill, add grit and toughness once your team matures.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I stand by an earlier comment. The only reason Dubas isn't running away with this, is because of the blinding hatred some people have for the leafs.

Something like trading for Riley Nash to boost the leafs LTIR space to accommodate other trades, while also having Nash as an option in the playoffs is so far out of the realm of what Jim Benning could even wrap his head around. They are on two completely different levels.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Dubas is way, way better. I don't think even think he's a bad GM, he's not even in the bottom 10 of the 31 teams. He's got a tenacity and swagger that I have to respect even if it doesn't always work out.

Benning is truly one of the worst in the entire league. He has some staff that helps him out with good drafting, but his management, long term planning, understanding of roster rules and cap space, negotiation skills, especially at trades, is in the bottom quadrant of the league. It would be hyperbolic to say he's the worst in every aspect of being a GM in the NHL, but I would like to see if someone can even name five GMs that are clearly worse in the league right now.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dubas gets fleeced on every signing/trade, but at least he has a good vision/direction for the team. Benning doesn't even have that.
LOL.

If you don't know what you are talking about it is better to stay silent. Add up all the money not playing for Vancouver and tell me how great their signings are. We don't have a contract we couldn't move, no "negative value players". Vancouver has what 20+mil not playing for them? So obviously your words are empty.

ROFL.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
This poll is embarrassingly close.

Can’t be surprised with Hf tho.
I think this was done before this Canucks train reck of a season. A new poll would be closed within hours. However those contracts to Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Roussell, Spooner, Gudbranson, Gagner, Baertchi, Holtby, Sbisa, Myers, Virtanen and Ferland are looking pretty good right now.....

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
LOL.

If you don't know what you are talking about it is better to stay silent. Add up all the money not playing for Vancouver and tell me how great their signings are. We don't have a contract we couldn't move, no "negative value players". Vancouver has what 20+mil not playing for them? So obviously your words are empty.

ROFL.

When did I say Vancouver has good signings? Did you even bother reading my post?

I know what I'm talking about, but clearly you don't, thanks.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
The "All speed and skill" model is what Dubas haters think his plan is. As do the media. Or at least sell that as their opinion.

It is not. Nor was it ever.

Nobody makes it to the NHL without realizing what it takes to win. Having nothing but small, skilled guys who can't take a hit isn't what Dubas built, nor did he ever say that's what he wanted. What he has said many times is the game has changed and he's not interested in enforcers that can't play the game. Dubas has brought in plenty of grit over the years, and no, not just this past off season. The acquisitions are out there for anyone to see, if they care to know the truth.

The Kadri one wasn't a great trade. He'd be a far better fit than Kerfoot I think, but there were problems with keeping him. He had been suspended twice in 2 years during the playoffs. With all his other suspensions, I don't think management trusted him to do the right thing. He had hurt the team too many times. He also didn't want to play on the 3rd line, but was never going to beat out JT or AM. So it was switch to wing or play the 3rd line.

No GM is perfect, but the good ones see their mistakes and quickly address them. Ceci and Barrie didn't pan out. Dubas quickly addressed it. He felt like we needed some more defensive, gritty players for the playoffs so he has addressed it. He added 2 goalies, 1 of which may end up our long term starter.

GM's can't just go out and get whoever they want. It doesn't work that way. Dubas has brought in players he could afford without destroying the future of the team. He has a plan to be competitive long term and is trying to balance that with short term success. He's not going to trade away the farm to get players that HF leaf haters think he should just go acquire. Pretty sure other teams get to decide who to part with and who not to.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Yeah. It took what? 10 games to move him up? They were so starved for that type of skill set to play regular minutes. As a former player himself, Keefe understands the value in this type of player.

I was more speaking to how misleading it is to call Simmonds a 4th line grit guy. He’s a good player who adds physicality and competitiveness, and can play almost anywhere in the lineup. The Leafs were sorely lacking a player like this prior to this season.

Simmons can play on the 2nd line, but it's not an ideal fit. He's clearly in over his head on the top 2 lines. He's a much better fit on the bottom 6.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs 60 points, tied for #2 in the league.

Vancouver 35 points #27 in the league.

There should not be a single vote for Jim Benning, you simply can't justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad