Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
ok these are free agents, legacies, waiver claims etcetera, i am sure there are mistakes here.

list eligibility = 1 nhl game

players/prospects benning inherited still with the team

sedin
sedin
edler
labate
gaunce
hutton

benning waiver claims or free agent signings still with the team

biega
boucher
bachman
chaput
megna
eriksson
mceneny
molino
stecher
burmistrov
gagner
vanek
del zotto
nillson

players benning inherited and then were let go (waived, bought out or allowed to become free agents)

de fazio
corrado
hamhuis
higgins
kennins
stanton
sestito
weber
frieson
grenier
larsen
rodin

players benning drafted, traded for, claimed on waivers or signed, who were then let go (waived or bought out or allowed to become free agents)

cracknell
etem
fedun
matthias
richardson
vrbata
miller
mcmillan
vey
bartkowski
prust
tryamkin
zalewski
cramarossa
rendulic
shore
skille

Reactions: vancityluongo

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I dont remember... what was the speculation surrounding the trade list that Vrbata submitted?

Provided them with a trade list full of non-playoff teams.

Regarding Hamhuis, we could have had Dano and a 1st round pick from Chicago but Benning began the process too late and Chicago moved on to other options.

It’s funny, people say Benning was hamstrung by Gillis’s NTC’s, yet it was a player Benning gave an NTC to that was the only player with an NTC to block a trade out of here.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Regarding Hamhuis, we could have had Dano and a 1st round pick from Chicago but Benning began the process too late and Chicago moved on to other options.

It’s funny, people say Benning was hamstrung by Gillis’s NTC’s, yet it was a player Benning gave an NTC to that was the only player with an NTC to block a trade out of here.
mic-drop.png

Reactions: y2kcanucks

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Umm... who says Benning was hamstrung by anyone other than Kesler?

Why is this the first ive heard of the Dano/1st deal?
And altho the 1st sounds good, Dano woulda caused Benning all sorts of PR issues.... probably beyond Sbisa.. heh heh..
He's that slow.
Think he learned from acquiring Bonino.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Umm... who says Benning was hamstrung by anyone other than Kesler?

Why is this the first ive heard of the Dano/1st deal?
And altho the 1st sounds good, Dano woulda caused Benning all sorts of PR issues.... probably beyond Sbisa.. heh heh..
He's that slow.
Think he learned from acquiring Bonino.

Probably because a lot of people who think Benning has done a good job tend to ignore all his blunders.

First, here's a source that states Benning turned down the 9th overall pick in 2015 for Ryan Miller: 6 Ways The Canucks Have Whiffed On Their Attempt To Rebuild On-The-Fly

Here's Benning turning down the 1st and Dano for Hamhuis:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably because a lot of people who think Benning has done a good job tend to ignore all his blunders.

First, here's a source that states Benning turned down the 9th overall pick in 2015 for Ryan Miller: 6 Ways The Canucks Have Whiffed On Their Attempt To Rebuild On-The-Fly

Here's Benning turning down the 1st and Dano for Hamhuis:

Sorry, but I'm not buying the rumor that first rounders were ever on the table to either Hamhuis or Miller.... over-30 veterans on expiring contacts just don't command that kind of return. I suspect the best Jimbo could have done would have been 3rd- 5th rounders for either one of them.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sorry, but I'm not buying the rumor that first rounders were ever on the table to either Hamhuis or Miller.... over-30 veterans on expiring contacts just don't command that kind of return. I suspect the best Jimbo could have done would have been 3rd- 5th rounders for either one of them.

That’s fine. Whether you choose to believe it or not it happened.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

The Hamhuis trade with Chicago was pretty well talked about in the media, that we pretty much could have had the same package that I think it was Ladd got. The Dallas stuff is also pretty well out there.

I find it hard not to believe there is a lot of smoke around this Miller to SJ story. I am skeptical that it was straight up or the 9th and not the next years pick, but I think we have to go that a 1st was on the table.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
There was also a hot rumor going around at the time that Jimmy had a deal for Hamhuis but Mr Aquilini wanted more and refused to sign off on it. That the deal was 'Aquified' so to speak. I guess we'll never really know just what happened that day. Perhaps Mr Aquilini was on remote location and having cellular difficulties? Any thing is possible, but one thing is sure, Jimmy gets paid the big dollars to take the flak.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
ok these are free agents, legacies, waiver claims etcetera, i am sure there are mistakes here.

sedin
sedin
edler
labate
gaunce
hutton

biega
boucher
bachman
chaput
megna
eriksson
mceneny
molino
stecher
burmistrov
gagner
vanek
del zotto
nillson

players benning inherited and then were let go (waived, bought out or allowed to become free agents)

de fazio
corrado
hamhuis
higgins
kennins
stanton
sestito
weber
frieson
grenier
larsen
rodin

players benning drafted, traded for, claimed on waivers or signed, who were then let go (waived or bought out or allowed to become free agents)

cracknell
etem
fedun
matthias
richardson
vrbata
miller
mcmillan
vey
bartkowski
prust
tryamkin
zalewski
cramarossa
rendulic
shore
skille

McEneny was actually a Gillis signing as an 18 year old undrafted invitee at 2012 rookie camp. He had missed nearly all of his draft year with a serious injury. ashton Sautner would fit the description of a Benning signing who was still in the system.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

sedin
sedin
edler
labate
gaunce
hutton

biega
boucher
bachman
chaput
megna
eriksson
mceneny
molino
stecher
burmistrov
gagner
vanek
del zotto
nillson

de fazio
corrado
hamhuis
higgins
kennins
stanton
sestito
weber
frieson
grenier
larsen
rodin

cracknell
etem
fedun
matthias
richardson
vrbata
miller
mcmillan
vey
bartkowski
prust
tryamkin
zalewski
cramarossa
rendulic
shore
skille

Sorry, but is Forsling a separate and different Benning screw-up category, or is there another page to your list I didn't scroll back to read...?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
so no one is claiming Benning was hamstrung by NTC's outside of Kesler... got it.

On this page is discussed the claim that Vrbata gave a list at the trade deadline that was exclusively non-playoff teams. Since non-playoff teams would have no use for a rental and that limited ntc was given out by Benning, the reference to the Benning being hamstrung by his own ntc seems to obviously be a reference to Vrbata.

The posts making the claim you say isn't being made are clear enough to anyone who is reading the posts and who has followed the Canucks enough to know who was the gm at the time Vrbata was signed.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
On this page is discussed the claim that Bonino gave a list at the trade deadline that was exclusively non-playoff teams. Since non-playoff teams would have no use for a rental and that limited ntc was given out by Benning, the reference to the Benning being hamstrung by his own ntc seems to obviously be a reference to Bonino.

The posts making the claim you say isn't being made are clear enough to anyone who is reading the posts and who has followed the Canucks enough to know who was the gm at the time Bonino was signed.

You obviously mean Vrbata.

Reactions: tyhee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad