Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just look at the Utica stats, Green is a trap coach, shot for, shots against, goals for, goals against, who was scoring and individual stats and of course the standings. For a wide open system that team sure didn't get many shots per game and allowed more.
I hate when other do or post this but, what on earth is the evidence that he isn't using a trap system? Or a left side lock?

The Comets outshot their opponents in most games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tomlinson on with Bro' Jake on TSN 1040 praising Burmistrov's two-way game as well as his work on the scone-unit pp....is it possible?.....one of Jimbo's reclamation projects who actually works out?.....Burmistrov being described as "Markus Granlund lite"....would be encouraging if by some miracle lightening strikes twice.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i thought i would try my hand at a current benning balance sheet as a different way to summarize his trades only.

this is a list of what he has given up in trades and what he still has to show for it. i have not figured out a good way to account for those that came for a while and went so those are listed separately at the end if they played 10 games for us. i have listed the actual players taken in the position of the draft picks we gained or gave up beside the draft pick.

part 1- negative balance sheet

players benning inherited who were traded

kesler
garrison
hansen
burrows
bieksa
kassian
lack
jensen
mcnally
shinkaruk
mallet

players drafted by benning who were traded
forsling
mccann

draft picks benning surrendered in trade
asplund (33rd/2nd)
mckeown (50th/2nd) 2 nhl games
andersson (53rd/2nd) 2 nhl games
gustavsson (55th/2nd)
sideroff (84 oa/3rd)
iverson (85 oa/3rd)
ang (94th/4th)
wesley (96 oa/4th round)
soderland (112th/4th)
staum (124th/5th)
karow (126th/5th)
lakotos (157th/6th)
gennaro (203rd/7th)
sadek (204th/7th)
2018 4th

part 2 -- positive balance sheet

trade acquisitions still with the team
gudbranson
sutter
dorsett
dahlen
goldobin
granlund
baertschi
pouliot

draft picks acquired by benning trades still in system or rights owned
brisebois (66th/3rd)
gunnarson (135th/5th)
candella (140th/5th)
palmu (181/6th)
mckenzie (194th/7th)
olson (210/7th)

players acquired by benning by trade who played more than 10 nhl games for canucks before moving on
bonino 75 games
vey 116 games
sbisa 199 games
etem 39 games
larsen 26 games
pedan 13 games
clendenning 17 games
prust 35 games

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The last year has been an interesting one. I went from wanting him fired as soon as possible to honestly wanting to see how he does with the next TDL/summer. In a perfect world, someone else would handle to trades and signings and Jimbo would stay on in another capacity.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i will add lack, pedan and clendenning

i find the other thread hard to take in so i tried it a different way.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
You forgot Lockwood. I know the pick was originally ours, but we got it back in the Sutter trade. Unless the trade and re-acquisition cancels it out.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
players acquired by benning by trade who played more than 10 nhl games for canucks before moving on

Is that a positive?

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
This just makes me realize that even though he's made alot of trades almost everyone but Kesler he has dealt with has been pretty bleh. All 2nd / 3rd tier players. Nothing that really shakes things from the ground up.

Really whether you like him or hate him he hasn't really changed a whole lot from trading at the end of the day.

Drafting? Well that's a different story.

Reactions: Jack Burton

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Technically Dane Fox falls in the first category, what a tragedy!

Right now Dane Fox is outscoring former NHLer and 41 year old teammate Steven Reinprecht in the DEL... wonder why he never got a shot here.

Reactions: Jack Burton

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Had to do a double take, 6 top 90 picks traded away, 4 of them 2nd round picks.

That's terrible for a supposed rebuilding team. Also a huge mismanagement of Utica, because those 6 picks could have potentially really helped Utica.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Basically boils down to this

Kesler Bieksa Forsling 2nd(Asplund) 2nd(Gustavsson) 3rd(Sideroff) 3rd(Iverson) 4th(Ang) - Sutter Gudbranson Dorsett 3rd(Lockwood)
Hansen 4th(Soderland) - Goldobin 5th(Gunnarsson) 6th(Palmu)
Burrows - Dahlen
Lack - Brisebois
Shinkaruk - Granlund
2nd(Andersson) - Baertschi
Pedan 4th(2018) - Pouliot

Garrison - Nothing
Kassian 5th - nothing
Hamhuis - nothing

wesley (96 oa/4th round) - Dalpe (was gillis)

the 5th 6th and 7ths offset each other

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Really whether you like him or hate him he hasn't really changed a whole lot from trading at the end of the day.

Hmmm not having McCann and Forsling right now is a pretty significant impact to the health and depth of the organization. Add in the picks and the impact is pretty great.

I guess from the point of view that there was no depth when he took over there hasn't been any major change but really that's the whole problem now isn't it? There should be a change but there really isn't.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Is that a positive?

i think it's part of the picture to look at any interim returns. subjectively, i wouldn't attach much value to most of the players noted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad