Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Why do you put the draft picks given away in small font when the draft picks received are in regular font? Bit weird.

Anyway, Grenier is also OUT as he signed with Florida. EDIT: As did Curtis Valk.

Chad Billins went to SHL.

We also traded down at the draft. Not sure if you want to include that trade.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Why do you put the draft picks given away in small font when the draft picks received are in regular font? Bit weird.

Anyway, Grenier is also OUT as he signed with Florida. EDIT: As did Curtis Valk.

Chad Billins went to SHL.

We also traded down at the draft. Not sure if you want to include that trade.

Because Benning doesn't control who the other team drafts. He traded just the pick away... so the name is added for reference... vs it is much more relevant what he did with the pick he acquired.
Made sense in my brain at the time anyway.

And thanks for all the updates. . Will fix the op.. eventually.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Shore and Tom Nilsson are out. Both signed in Europe.

Valk shouldn't be included anywhere as he was never Canucks property.

The Canucks only have one second round pick next year.

They traded their 2017 4th round pick (112) to Chicago for a 5th (135) and 6th (181) at the draft.

Last edited:

0din

Mar 8, 2016
This.

Paying to get rid of a player like Kassian was so incredibly stupid it's hard to put into words. Only an idiot like Jim Benning would sign off on that.

At the time Kassian was very, very border line.

While I haven't liked much of what Benning etal have done here so far this ended up being the best for everyone especially Kassian.

It is good he finally seems to have his stuff together, but it will be hard for him for the next few years to keep himself clean.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Y2koilers is bang on, on this one. The trade looks to be not only bad, but in retrospect horrid. The Canucks could have just picked up a Kris Russell for free, kept McCann and their pick. Gudbranson really does not seem to be good at anything. Oilers called this one right. Good job, Oilers. You da man (I think....you never answered me on that).

You guys exaggerate. It's pretty straightforward. If McCann becomes no better than a replacement level player, as is likely, and the 2nd stays true to to form, as in nothing becomes of it, then the deal is a push even if Gudbranson doesn't get dealt at the deadline and we loose him for nothing!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You guys exaggerate. It's pretty straightforward. If McCann becomes no better than a replacement level player, as is likely, and the 2nd stays true to to form, as in nothing becomes of it, then the deal is a push even if Gudbranson doesn't get dealt at the deadline and we loose him for nothing!
About as logical as saying it is a smart move to double down on a BlackJack hand after being dealt a natural blackjack & getting a face card.

Canucks don't have the luxory of wasting what few tradeable assets Gillis left for the next regime(s).

At the very least, I prefer to have the 2nd pick with Benning making the selection (playing to his strength - drafting).

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
At the time Kassian was very, very border line.

While I haven't liked much of what Benning etal have done here so far this ended up being the best for everyone especially Kassian.

It is good he finally seems to have his stuff together, but it will be hard for him for the next few years to keep himself clean.
  • Kassian wasn't close to borderline at the end of the 13-14 season.
  • Kassian officially became borderline in the 14-15 season.
  • Kassian didn't know what WD wanted
  • Virtanen didn't know what WD wanted
  • Tryamkin didn't know what WD was doing
I see a pattern. Do you?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
  • Kassian wasn't close to borderline at the end of the 13-14 season.
  • Kassian officially became borderline in the 14-15 season.
  • Kassian didn't know what WD wanted
  • Virtanen didn't know what WD wanted
  • Tryamkin didn't know what WD was doing
I see a pattern. Do you?

But Horvat, Hutton, Stecher, Baertschi, Granlund did?

Coach deserves some blame for his tenure here..
But the players deserve the lionshare of the criticism for the way they acted, trained, played... and the level of professionalism THEY brought to the table.

Scapegoating the outgoing coach is a copout and an absolution of accountability on those aforementioned players. Falls on their shoulders most of all.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
But Horvat, Hutton, Stecher, Baertschi, Granlund did?

Coach deserves some blame for his tenure here..
But the players deserve the lionshare of the criticism for the way they acted, trained, played... and the level of professionalism THEY brought to the table.

Scapegoating the outgoing coach is a copout and an absolution of accountability on those aforementioned players. Falls on their shoulders most of all.

It's almost like these hockey players are human beings and Kassian and Horvat have different ways they think, learn, receive and process information and it's the coach's responsibility to adapt his communication style to how that specific human receives it the best.

If you hadn't noticed, we were scapegoating WD WHILE he was the coach but now, even though we have players-no-longer-on-the-active-roster being interviewed talking about they didn't understand what was going on from a ice time allocation perspective, you are still shifting the "lionshare" of the blame on the player?

Did you like WD THAT much? Is that you Linden?

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's almost like these hockey players are human beings and Kassian and Horvat have different ways they think, learn, receive and process information and it's the coach's responsibility to adapt his communication style to how that specific human receives it the best.

If you hadn't noticed, we were scapegoating WD WHILE he was the coach but now, even though we have players-no-longer-on-the-active-roster being interviewed talking about they didn't understand what was going on from a ice time allocation perspective, you are still shifting the "lionshare" of the blame on the player?
Yes.
Two of them couldn't of made it much clearer as to their level of work ethic, commitment and dedication to training, conditioning, and the game on how they showed up to camp.. the other also showed a lack 'consideration'... but thats a whole can worms we don't need discuss.

Willie's fault. Got it.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
No worries, he's got Fletcher Christian watching his back.

Willie is a AHL coach...that's ALL on Benning for hiring a AHL coach to be the head coach of the Canucks.

Fletcher Christian... any relation to Chuck Fletcher?
WFKdN50.gif

1962.. Mutiny on the Bounty... never watched it but now I know who Fletcher Christian is. :)

Crap rolls downhill in this crapshow of an organization.

Aquilini's think they know better than hockey people so they hire a rookie president.

Rookie president doesn't know what he doesn't know and hires a rookie GM.

Rookie GM also doesn't know what he doesn't know and hires a rookie coach.

Rookie coach knows how to motivate players not in the NHL but are trying to get into the NHL but has no clue on how to manage players already in the NHL because... well.. adults are complicated.

qozz7w0.gif

0din

Mar 8, 2016
A lot of folks are already saying how good a job Benning has done this year.

I don't get it as the season has hardly even begun.

They are raving about Virtanen, he is playing better and outside of the punishing hitter 3rd/4th line role right now. Once Green institutes his trap system JB might not be here very long.

I have always said if they want him to be a top six player the team should emphasize his skills other than hitting, if anything they should have told him to tone it down. Virtanen has great acceleration and a heavy wrist shot. Those skills could make him a valuable asset in any trade for a bonafide 1rst line NHL player. On this team with this management group he will always be seen as a big hitter first.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A lot of folks are already saying how good a job Benning has done this year.

I don't get it as the season has hardly even begun.

They are raving about Virtanen, he is playing better and outside of the punishing hitter 3rd/4th line role right now. Once Green institutes his trap system JB might not be here very long.

I have always said if they want him to be a top six player the team should emphasize his skills other than hitting, if anything they should have told him to tone it down. Virtanen has great acceleration and a heavy wrist shot. Those skills could make him a valuable asset in any trade for a bonafide 1rst line NHL player. On this team with this management group he will always be seen as a big hitter first.
You've been banging that 'trap system' drum for weeks now,despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary...Is Green just going to go full Willie 'trap mode' and take the league by surprise?:huh:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
No worries, he's got Fletcher Christian watching his back.

Willie is a AHL coach...that's ALL on Benning for hiring a AHL coach to be the head coach of the Canucks.

I think Linden was heavily involved in that hire (remember the Medicine Hat connections, anyone?) so don't free him of any blame either.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You've been banging that 'trap system' drum for weeks now,despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary...Is Green just going to go full Willie 'trap mode' and take the league by surprise?:huh:
To be fair, I remember Willie implementing a very aggressive style that ended up getting torn apart (especially by the Rangers iirc). After that he played much more of a trap style. I don’t necessarily blame him too much for that switch either, as trapping is probably the best way for unkilled teams to be competitive.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
To be fair, I remember Willie implementing a very aggressive style that ended up getting torn apart (especially by the Rangers iirc). After that he played much more of a trap style. I don’t necessarily blame him too much for that switch either, as trapping is probably the best way for unkilled teams to be competitive.

Yeah... the best coaches are those that can modify their systems to maximize the personnel they have. The best coaches are the one able to adjust.

AV doesn't get enough credit for how much his systems modified with his team... from 06 he trapped and was completely a defensive trap counter punching low scoring system ... to the president's trophy winning aggressive pinching puck rushing highest scoring team in the league system... and everything in between.

Personnel dictates the system.

Torts didn't last since the personnel he had couldn't effectively sustain his system and he didn't have an answer to resolve it other than change the stale personnel.

0din

Mar 8, 2016
Just look at the Utica stats, Green is a trap coach, shot for, shots against, goals for, goals against, who was scoring and individual stats and of course the standings. For a wide open system that team sure didn't get many shots per game and allowed more.
I hate when other do or post this but, what on earth is the evidence that he isn't using a trap system? Or a left side lock?

Reactions: WTG

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just look at the Utica stats, Green is a trap coach, shot for, shots against, goals for, goals against, who was scoring and individual stats and of course the standings. For a wide open system that team sure didn't get many shots per game and allowed more.
I hate when other do or post this but, what on earth is the evidence that he isn't using a trap system? Or a left side lock?

From the Province last week...

"And it’s entirely possible the Canucks don’t get a big bump up in points. But they aren’t going to look anything like last year’s team. Green’s team will push tempo. That’s been a massive talking point at Rogers Arena for weeks. This coaching staff is determined to have an aggressive attack that is going to produce more scoring chances.
“You saw that a bit (Thursday),” Henrik said. “I don’t know if Calgary played their best game but we were on them hard. We were forechecking and the D was up in the play.
“That’s how Green wants us to play. He wants us to take off, and he wants the D to join the rush. He wants five guys involved in the play all the time. That’s the difference.”
And a big one, too. For the past two years, Willie Desjardins’ Canucks were slow, plodding and defensive. His blue-liners were hardly ever involved in the offence, scoring just 22 goals collectively in each season. That’s bad.
Henrik was asked specifically if he thought fans would notice a clear difference in how the team plays in comparison to how it played under Desjardins.
“I think so. (Green) wants the D to join and it doesn’t matter who comes up in the rush,” Henrik said. “He wants them to go.
“And I think that’s the only way to create offence in this league today. Teams are so good defensively, if your fourth and fifth guy don’t join the rush, there’s nothing there."

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
we'll see how that goes. It is true that when WD showed up we played really aggressively. Then we played a game against the New York Rangers where they eviscerated us. then it all changed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really difficult to assess Jimbo's ultimate trading record because of his penchant for throwing draft picks on to the pile....in fact a lot of his deals wouldn't likely get done if he wasn't willing to cough up draft picks....I understand that most of the picks are in rounds 2-5, but then you have to consider that guys like Tryamkin, Gaudette, Hutton and Lockwood were all drafted after the second round.

The Pedan for Poutliot deal is typical....since Pedan cost a third-rounder to acquire in the first place, the deal really becomes Pedan, a third-rounder and a fourth rounder for Pouliot....and that alone probably makes it a questionable deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad