Jim Benning Era Transaction Summary

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
That's not what he said at all.
He said the opposite.

Said he ok with the depth support (I.e. he's got his Beagles and Rousells already). If does anything in free agency he'll be looking at a high end addition to address needs.
When asked if he would target like a $10-11 mil type player he said no... indicating the tier of players below Karlsson... like maybe Gardiner...

Don't know what interview you listened to.
He's such a f***ing coward, has not once really stuck his neck out on the line for one of his decisions. He always chooses the middle ground and only there does he go all in. His management has been death by 1,000 cuts since day one

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's such a ****ing coward, has not once really stuck his neck out on the line for one of his decisions. He always chooses the middle ground and only there does he go all in. His management has been death by 1,000 cuts since day one
What would you have him say?

Can you give an example of a GM that "stuck his neck out on the line for one of his decisions?"

An Eriksson scratch tonight seems pretty telling... dont think that was Green going rogue with his decision..

Everything now seems calculated.. no Pouliot, Eriksson.. evaluate Granny, Brisebois... Likely coming from Benning for next yr... no?

Last edited:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What would you have him say?

Can you give an example of a GM that "stuck his neck out on the line for one of his decisions?"

An Eriksson scratch tonight seems pretty telling... dont think that was Green going rogue with his decision..

Everything now seems calculated.. no Pouliot, Eriksson.. evaluate Granny, Brisebois... Likely coming from Benning for next yr... no?

It takes balls to trade a 1st round pick or throw a huge deal at one of the top UFA’s (Lucic/Eriksson were not “Top UFA’s” in the Karlsson/Panarin sense). It takes balls to trade your assets for futures and say that your scouting staff can do better with the picks than taking on prospects that another team is willing to move on. None of our pro-scouting acquisitions have been top players, they have all been middling or worse junk thats been on the way out from the organization we acquire them from, so many reclamation projects of trash where we give up a mid round pick or one of our own faltering guys. Benning is a f***ing idiot so Im glad he hasnt really tried to make his mark but everything about his management is limp dick bobbleheading to what ownership wants

Reactions: B-rock

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It takes balls to trade a 1st round pick or throw a huge deal at one of the top UFA’s (Lucic/Eriksson were not “Top UFA’s” in the Karlsson/Panarin sense). It takes balls to trade your assets for futures and say that your scouting staff can do better with the picks than taking on prospects that another team is willing to move on. None of our pro-scouting acquisitions have been top players, they have all been middling or worse junk thats been on the way out from the organization we acquire them from, so many reclamation projects of trash where we give up a mid round pick or one of our own faltering guys. Benning is a ****ing idiot so Im glad he hasnt really tried to make his mark but everything about his management is limp dick bobbleheading to what ownership wants

Ok..
But you still completely misrepresented/misinterpreted Benning's interview. He said or implied none of what you said he said/implied.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
It takes balls to trade a 1st round pick or throw a huge deal at one of the top UFA’s (Lucic/Eriksson were not “Top UFA’s” in the Karlsson/Panarin sense). It takes balls to trade your assets for futures and say that your scouting staff can do better with the picks than taking on prospects that another team is willing to move on. None of our pro-scouting acquisitions have been top players, they have all been middling or worse junk thats been on the way out from the organization we acquire them from, so many reclamation projects of trash where we give up a mid round pick or one of our own faltering guys. Benning is a ****ing idiot so Im glad he hasnt really tried to make his mark but everything about his management is limp dick bobbleheading to what ownership wants
None of this has anything to do with what the person you're responding to actually said. Benning may be a poor GM, but he's not a "f***ing coward" for delivering roughly the same boilerplate remarks about a player virtually any other GM would give in his place.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green's last practice day, press conference was very revealing. He basically stated categorically that there'll be a lot of changes in next year's roster. Obviously I doubt he'd say it if he wasn't privy to talk from inside the tent. I assume that to mean that the Canucks will be moving on from a number of players like Eriksson, Granlund and Pouliot. I would also include Schaller in that list, because he's hardly even played. And I'm not a 100 percent sure about Pearson.

And despite all the warm and fuzzy talk, it's also not a 'given' that Edler returns. If there's a team out there offering a four year deal for more money and a NTC, he'd be crazy not to sign it. It's probably the last NHL contract he'll ever sign.

And after watching Tanev last night struggle to come back from yet another injury, they really need to explore the trade market for this player. He needs a change, and so do the Canucks.

Of course all this means that if players are going out the door; and the draft picks|prospects aren't ready; then it's either trades or UFA signings.

I don't think the Canucks can help themselves...they just can't stop....with oodles of cap space, they'll blow their brains out for sure on July. 1st. It's almost a guarantee.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Ok..
But you still completely misrepresented/misinterpreted Benning's interview. He said or implied none of what you said he said/implied.

None of this has anything to do with what the person you're responding to actually said. Benning may be a poor GM, but he's not a "****ing coward" for delivering roughly the same boilerplate remarks about a player virtually any other GM would give in his place.

I think I posted this rambling ass shit between hitting snooze to be honest please disregard it

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
With the draft in Vancouver, I'm getting increasingly uneasy about reports from usual hockey sources that the Canucks are going to be huge players in free agency on July 1st.

Rumour is, that despite all the cooing about 'being patient', the owner is getting antsy with no playoff hockey for four years an counting. So if Benning is going to 'jump off the UFA cliff", who does he go after? Karlsson, Panerin, Duchene. Skinner or Gardiner?

Will the Canucks pull the trigger and blow their brains out on the UFA market?

Skinner wanted to be near his family. I'd be surprised if we are on his radar.

Duchene bailed on the Avs because he was tired of losing. I can't see this mess being enticing.

Panarin, I think he goes Florida/NYR/Chicago. I would not rule LA out, but unlikely with their rebuild.

I think Karlsson can do better than us. Nice spot but he's in demand from big name teams that are already competitive.

So Gardiner? Coming off just $4m a year, money could matter a lot to him. He's 29 in July, so this is his last shot at a big money, he'll be looking for a retirement contract. $7mx7 is my guess but a desperate team like the Canucks could be targeted as they try and talk them in $8mx7.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I’m not sure why we’d want Gardiner? Especially at the cap hit he’s going to command. The guy is a mess in his own zone. We already have enough young puck movers, and should be targeting stay at home type guys, if we’re going to sign any veteran UFA Dmen.

If Tanev could ever stay healthy, and on top of his game, he’s literally the blueprint of what this team needs to target. If Juliolevi wasn’t such a bust, we’d have a natural hole being filled from within, and wouldn’t need to be searching for UFA blueline help!

I think Karlssons best playing days are well behind him - to be honest. The guy simply lost his extra step, when they had to cut a bunch of his foot out. Any team who overpays him on a long term deal is going to be kicking themselves!

I wouldn’t touch Duchene with a ten foot pole. It may be a coincidence, but dressing rooms seem to fall apart everywhere the guy goes. An example of why, may have been in explained to us all in the Famous UBER video. Veterans should not be bashing their team to, and with a bunch of young players. Laughing about being crappy...Etc.

We already have Boeser to play the role Panarin would be filling here....So let’s just keep growing with that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Jimbo regularly gets excoriated on these Boards, but on a positive note, I'm really liking Tanner Pearson's game. A straight ahead 'meat and potatoes' winger who's at his best along the wall. He's rock solid on his skates as a number of surprised d-men have found out trying to clock him, and he gets to the gritty areas in front of the net.

Still only 26 but loads of playoff experience with the Kings and a real leader in the room from all reports. Still unfathomable that Benning managed to turn that anchor of a contract for Gudbranson into any asset at all.

And although I guess he's still a buy-out candidate, Spooner has had his two best games for the Canucks in the last two outings. If he can engage physically like that, he might have a future with this team. I know Gagner is scoring the odd goal in garbage time for Edmonton, but there's no way he fit with the Canucks going forward.

With Baertschi's future still uncertain, I'd keep Spooner around and at least let him compete for a spot next year in training camp.

member 290103

I know Jimbo regularly gets excoriated on these Boards, but on a positive note, I'm really liking Tanner Pearson's game. A straight ahead 'meat and potatoes' winger who's at his best along the wall. He's rock solid on his skates as a number of surprised d-men have found out trying to clock him, and he gets to the gritty areas in front of the net.

Still only 26 but loads of playoff experience with the Kings and a real leader in the room from all reports. Still unfathomable that Benning managed to turn that anchor of a contract for Gudbranson into any asset at all.

And although I guess he's still a buy-out candidate, Spooner has had his two best games for the Canucks in the last two outings. If he can engage physically like that, he might have a future with this team. I know Gagner is scoring the odd goal in garbage time for Edmonton, but there's no way he fit with the Canucks going forward.

With Baertschi's future still uncertain, I'd keep Spooner around and at least let him compete for a spot next year in training camp.

I like Pearson too, but I am not sure it's an acquisition that warrants a big celebration. He's a decent middle 6 winger that is greatly overpaid. Basically your standard Benning acquisition.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think I'm caught with most transactions and signings...

Am I missing anyone?

realized I was missing Eliot... so I'm sure I missing someone else...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So it's being reported that Roussel has had ACL surgery and is out 6-9 months.....definitely missing training camp and the early part of next season. Meantime, Beagle likely to end the season as a three-goal scorer and Schaller was a healthy scratch for three quarters of the season and can't score against any other team but Dallas.

I don't know Jimbo consistently does it.....but his forays into the UFA market every July 1st have bordered on disastrous. Vanek and maybe Vrbata were the only guys who even remotely worked out. But he'll be once more into the breach this July 1st. You can count on it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Of his multi yr UFA signings..
Vrbata, Miller, Roussel, Beagle have or are working out...

Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Schaller, Nilsson have not..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'd be OK with Beagle and Roussel, but the four year contracts at $3m per season are a cap killer.

Roussel with major knee surgery in the off-season and coming off a season where he missed the first month of the season with a concussion, one of a number he's suffered in his career.

And Beagle? A contract of $3m a season for a 32 year old, three-scorer who takes faceoffs, and already looks to me like he has trouble keeping up. That's going to a tough contract to swallow before it 's over.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'd be OK with Beagle and Roussel, but the four year contracts at $3m per season are a cap killer.

Roussel with major knee surgery in the off-season and coming off a season where he missed the first month of the season with a concussion, one of a number he's suffered in his career.

And Beagle? A contract of $3m a season for a 32 year old, three-scorer who takes faceoffs, and already looks to me like he has trouble keeping up. That's going to a tough contract to swallow before it 's over.
Beagle.. maybe in a couple yrs... in the meanwhile he helped the PK back into the top 10. Yet to be determined how the most conditioned player on our team ages.. but you have to give the most conditioned player on our team the benefit of the doubt he jut may age alright. I will.

Roussel just had a career yr and came as advertised and then some.. we’ll see how the injury effects his speed. But he’s a heart and soul guy I’m not initially worried about at his age.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Move Beagle to the bottom list and I think you got it right.

A line with Beagle on it will get destroyed 5 on 5. Puts extra pressure on Horvat & Pettersson lines.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Move Beagle to the bottom list and I think you got it right.

A line with Beagle on it will get destroyed 5 on 5. Puts extra pressure on Horvat & Pettersson lines.
I appreciate his contribution to helping Marky bring us a top 10 PK.
Up from from what... bottom 10, 5 last yr?
His locker room example of how a pro works cant be dismissed.
We'll see if comes in and blows the kids away again in camp. All this talk about culture and leadership lately.

Could have more skill... but so far a good addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I appreciate his contribution to helping Marky bring us a top 10 PK.
Up from from what... bottom 10, 5 last yr?
His locker room example of how a pro works cant be dismissed.
We'll see if comes in and blows the kids away again in camp. All this talk about culture and leadership lately.

Could have more skill... but so far a good addition.

He absolutely kills one of our lines 5on5. And we are stuck with a Beagle line because he apparently cant play wing and is being paid like a middle 6er.

I dont think his contribution was that significant on the PK.

Its anyones guess what he does or doesnt do in the locker room.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He absolutely kills one of our lines 5on5. And we are stuck with a Beagle line because he apparently cant play wing and is being paid like a middle 6er.

I dont think his contribution was that significant on the PK.

Its anyones guess what he does or doesnt do in the locker room.
I think the comments of the youngens during camp and into the early season regarding Beagle’s example for them speak for themselves in regards to locker room and leadership effects. Also less receptive by fans are the comments of the GM about him. Add Gillis’ comments about his own personal research, and we can see why he was valued by the organization to bring in.

We differ on his contribution to our top 10 PK.. fine..

And yes.. his line is generally overwhelmed with limited offensive contribution... but hey.. look at our depth and his wingers, plus some matchups. If Benning’s improves our depth... so goes Beagle’s line contribution at 5on5. I ain’t hanging it on Beagle. He does his job just fine, imo.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the comments of the youngens during camp and into the early season regarding Beagle’s example for them speak for themselves in regards to locker room and leadership effects. Also less receptive by fans are the comments of the GM about him. Add Gillis’ comments about his own personal research, and we can see why he was valued by the organization to bring in.

We differ on his contribution to our top 10 PK.. fine..

And yes.. his line is generally overwhelmed with limited offensive contribution... but hey.. look at our depth and his wingers, plus some matchups. If Benning’s improves our depth... so goes Beagle’s line contribution at 5on5. I ain’t hanging it on Beagle. He does his job just fine, imo.

That all sounds reasonable to me.

I just think term and money for what is a replacement level, career 4th line player, is never a "win".

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Roussel just had a career yr and came as advertised and then some.. we’ll see how the injury effects his speed. But he’s a heart and soul guy I’m not initially worried about at his age.
Roussel might be Benning's best FA signing... and imo Benning only overpaid by about 100-200%. In other words, these are the kind of useful depth players that well run organizations sign for 1 to 2 million per.

To take an extremely recent example... Jay Beagle. He has been a useful depth forward. A good 4th line C. His 6 years prior to Vancouver, Washington had him at an average 1.2 million cap hit per. He signs here, his cap hit increases by 100-200%. Washington finds a replacement 4C. They sign him - just today - to a 3 year extension for 0.750 million per. Twenty Five percent of what we pay Beagle. the kicker? An article comes out just today, showing Dowd is more useful in almost every measurable metric than Beagle.

It's this, over and over and over and over. It's destroying the franchise, little by little, and chunk by chunk. And the chunks coming out of the organization are stinky. Very smelly chunks. It's enough already. Can we get someone like Gilman as president or advisor or whatever you want to call him, someone to make the final decision on contracts and cap management and pro trades.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Miller and Beagle were terrible signings
Miller in retrospect was not at all a terrible signing.

Miller made you realize the difference between an NHL caliber netminder vs what punch-in-the-gut leaky Lack and early Markstrom were.
Woulda loved to see the state of Vancouver hockey after our lockerroom played through 3 'zero chance' yrs without an NHL caliber backstop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->