Confirmed with Link: Jf Berube for future considerations

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It can mean whatever you want it to mean. Kris Draper was traded for a dollar. Andy Bezeau was traded for two equipment dryers.

Actually the 2005 CBA put in place some restrictions. Can't do cash (and presumably equipment) anymore. A common option is the seller's choice among two or three players at a later date. It can also be conditional and potentially unfulfilled, like swapping 7th round picks if the acquiring team's pick ends up a better number.
When I was a GM in the minor leagues I once traded a player for 1000 sets of Hansen Brothers funny glasses and plastic noses. No kidding.

notwolfy

Nov 15, 2013
Berube could be the backup in case there is an injury. This could mean Lundqvist is close to being traded.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
He looked great and showed more tonight than anything we've seen from Andersson or Howden other than his one hot streak at the beginning of last year

More of this pls. he is like a baby OV.

Thank you. But I just realized I put this question in the wrong thread. It was supposed to be in the post-game thread. My bad.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Berube could be the backup in case there is an injury. This could mean Lundqvist is close to being traded.
"My username is bringing on a lot of questions already answered by the username."

The Rangers are covered in case of up to two (2) goalie injury. This move is about Hartford.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In baseball, it used to mean you’d get a fringe prospect or minor league vet like 3-6 months down the line. Not sure I’ve seen it there in years, however.

In hockey, it seems to be a way to move a guy without sending anyone or anything back, serving as “consideration” in a deal where really the other team is happy to just get the player off the books and/or give him a shot elsewhere for free.

IIRC, the Rangers are still technically owed future considerations for Jessiman...
Yeah this is correct. And now in baseball they use future considerations to move players that were just drafted, since you're not allowed to trade a guy you drafted and signed for a set period of time. So they say "future considerations" and then wait until they can actually move the guy, and then do it. Never understood how that wasn't a CBA circumvention but whatever. IIRC Trea Turner was handled this way.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There's the famous baseball story about the Mets trading some guy for the proverbial "Player to Be Named Later", and some time later that same player was returned to the Mets to complete the trade.
Harry Chiti was the Mets player. Before my time but I read about it. The Yankees had one with a catcher, Golden or something.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
There's the famous baseball story about the Mets trading some guy for the proverbial "Player to Be Named Later", and some time later that same player was returned to the Mets to complete the trade.

Harry Chiti was the Mets player. Before my time but I read about it. The Yankees had one with a catcher, Golden or something.

Wikipedia to the rescue
Player to be named later - Wikipedia
Notable PTBNLs
Players traded for themselves
Four players in MLB history were traded for a PTBNL, then subsequently traded back to their original teams, thus being players that were traded for themselves:
Harry Chiti was traded to the 1962 New York Mets from the Cleveland Indians for a PTBNL. However, the teams could not agree on a final deal, so the Mets traded Chiti back to Cleveland.[10]
Brad Gulden was traded from the New York Yankees to the Seattle Mariners in 1980 for a PTBNL, then in May 1981 Seattle traded him back to the Yankees.[11]
In 1987 Dickie Noles was traded from the Chicago Cubs to the Detroit Tigers for a PTBNL. As with Chiti, the teams could not agree on a final deal, and Noles was traded back to the Cubs.[12]
On July 22, 2005, John McDonald was traded from the Toronto Blue Jays to the Detroit Tigers for a PTBNL. McDonald was subsequently re-acquired by Toronto on November 10, 2005, in a cash transaction completing the trade.[13]

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad