Jets youth seizing opportunity to shine

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I wrote stuff

The Winnipeg Jets have played 18 games since the departure of their captain, which saw Andrew Ladd, Jay Harrison, and Matt Fraser traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for Marko Dano, Chicago's 2016 first-round selection, and a conditional 2018 third-round draft pick. The Jets have gone 6-9-3 over that time.

While the team has been losing and Jets' fans are counting down the days to a potential lottery pick, there has been some strong performances with a few of the Jets younger players that is worth discussing
http://jetsnation.ca/2016/4/1/jets-youth-seizing-opportunity-to-shine-since-ladd-s-departure

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Nice read, thanks for sharing.

Cool to see the recent uptick in Burmistrov's possession numbers. Seems to be playing with a great deal more confidence, and is just looking more "heads-up" in his play than he did earlier in the season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
6-9-3 without Ladd and Little and MP, Enstrom and Myers for some of that. That record is better than many on here expected to finish up the season. This team has been in most of the games, Im excited for a quick turaround as these young guys bring in a different attitude to the bottom of that lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good article. I think that there will be a lot of competition for bottom 6 slots next camp. Hey Garrett who are your favorites to make it?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not surprised to see Dano and Burmi doing well Corsi wise since Dano has always done dat thang well and my eye test for Burmi says he is doing way better. However, I am thrilled these are the results for Petan since this was one of his biggest areas of challenge in his first stint with the Jets. Possession is a great starting point for being able to eat minutes and be trusted. With his talent points are sure to follow. :yo:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not surprised to see Dano and Burmi doing well Corsi wise since Dano has always done dat thang well and my eye test for Burmi says he is doing way better. However, I am thrilled these are the results for Petan since this was one of his biggest areas of challenge in his first stint with the Jets. Possession is a great starting point for being able to eat minutes and be trusted. With his talent points are sure to follow. :yo:

Yes sir. I am really hopeful he's in the top 6 by the end of next year or the year after. Having said that, it looks like it'll be him or Armia starting in the AHL next year IMO. I think it may be Petan, which isn't the worst thing, except I think he will belong in the NHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Good article. I think that there will be a lot of competition for bottom 6 slots next camp. Hey Garrett who are your favorites to make it?

Personally, I would want (assuming no lottery/signings):

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Burmi/Petan-Dano
Lowry-Copp-Armia
Thorburn

I'd then rotate youth like Petan, Dano, Armia, and Copp in the press box so we're not "over youth'd". Injuries happen so you'd actually not have anyone in the pressbox quite often.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Stafford
Lowry-Copp-Armia
Thorburn

I'd then rotate youth like Petan, Dano, Armia, and Copp in the press box so we're not "over youth'd". Injuries happen so you'd actually not have anyone in the pressbox quite often.

Ok we will be hiring you as the talent consultant and you get to pick the line combo's and PMo can do the rest!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Stafford
Lowry-Copp-Armia
Thorburn

I feel Petan will start the year in the AHL, he will continue to improve and will be the first recall for injury and will take over for Stafford eventually. I can't see them putting him in the pressbox. I agree with the lineup except I think MP and Connor will be swapped to start the year, Connor eventually moves up tho.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I feel Petan will start the year in the AHL, he will continue to improve and will be the first recall for injury and will take over for Stafford eventually. I can't see them putting him in the pressbox. I agree with the lineup except I think MP and Connor will be swapped to start the year, Connor eventually moves up tho.

I agree that is likely what will happen, but I was talking about what I'd do.

That said, I think Connor may start in the top six. The Jets did that with Ehlers this year also, but they just played the 3rd line a lot more than normal to keep Ehlers protected.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Stafford
Lowry-Copp-Armia
Thorburn

I have been expecting Armia and Dano swapped from what you have. I thought Armia was playing a better 2 way game. I'm quite surprised at how poor Armia's Corsi is. I may have to reconsider.

I like your rotation idea. In fact I might like to see it taken further. Rotate the C's and W's between assignments a bit so that they all get the opportunity to play with better/different linemates and give all the C's a shot in the middle. Don't overdo that. You want some continuity.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that is likely what will happen, but I was talking about what I'd do.

That said, I think Connor may start in the top six. The Jets did that with Ehlers this year also, but they just played the 3rd line a lot more than normal to keep Ehlers protected.

They didn't take too long to drop Ehlers down to the 3rd line though. Unfortunately it coincided with moving Thor up to the 3rd. The needs will be different coming out of TC this year. I expect a sheltered 3rd line to start, especially if Petan is 3C but also if it is Burmi. With either Dano or Armia on the RW it is a pretty inexperienced group. Connor will move up but it is hard to predict when. That will depend on how quickly he adapts but also on other issues, like injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad