Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Panthers - Helsinki (Nov 1 & 2) Hartwall Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I didnt get a chance to read through some of the previous posts - did they announce when tickets will be going on sale?

Edit: just got my answer, 2am march 11th. Id love to go but it sounds like november is maybe the worst month to visit finland :(

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I have mixed feelings about this. My worry is that these ventures can hurt the team's routines, especially so early in the season. Not saying this is what derailed the Ottawa season, but it does make you wonder... Hopefully the players can think of it as just another road game.

Didn't derail Colorado.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
upload_2018-3-6_18-1-44.jpeg

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I wonder if Truenorth will do some sort of block tickets/charter for Jets Fans wanting to make the trip?
If not perhaps one of the sports bus tour companies that go down to Minneapolis for Jets games/Vikings games would do something.
Unfortunately with a 4 soon to be 5 year old..there is zero chance the wife lets me go :(

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I wonder if Truenorth will do some sort of block tickets/charter for Jets Fans wanting to make the trip?
If not perhaps one of the sports bus tour companies that go down to Minneapolis for Jets games/Vikings games would do something.
Unfortunately with a 4 soon to be 5 year old..there is zero chance the wife lets me go :(

I doubt True North does anything but perhaps a local travel agency will do something

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
How does a Winnipegger even go about getting tickets for this game? :/

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Can you get a hotel for 49 a night?

Probably not. But you can possibly find some cheaper accommodations for that price, motel/hostel kind of deal.

There's pretty decent public transportation in Helsinki/Espoo/Vantaa, so you can pick a place further from Hartwall Arena and get there by bus/train/tram. Maybe save a few bucks there.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's great the Jets will be going to Finland. It will be the first time since September 15, 1977 that a Winnipeg Jets team played a game there. On that day, the Jets and IFK Helsinki played to a 6-6 tie. Winnipeg had gone to Finland and Sweden for a series of exhibition games (9 in total), including participation in the Volkswagen Cup tournament, against club teams in both countries. The Jets finished with a 5-3-1 record.

Due to the number of European players the Jets had in the mid-to-late 1970s during their WHA era, Winnipeg was well known in both Sweden and Finland. Hockey fans in Finland were familiar with players Heikki Riihiranta and Veli-Pekka Ketola who had played for the Jets and fans in Sweden were familiar with players Anders Hedberg, Ulf Nilsson, Lars-Erik Sjoberg, Mats Lindh, Willy Lindstrom, Dan Labraaten and Curt Larsson. It was an opportunity for some of those players to make a return trip to play in their home country as a member of the visiting Winnipeg Jets.

With our current roster with players like Patrik Laine and Joel Armia (Finland), Toby Enstrom (Sweden), Nikolaj Ehlers (Denmark) and Marko Dano (Austria), it's an opportunity to re-establish the Winnipeg Jets name in Europe (and Scandinavia in particular).

sskjets.jpg

Winnipeg vs Södertälje in the Volkswagen Cup. Dan Labraaten and Bobby Hull in action against former teammate Curt Larsson. To the left Glenn Johansson.

:jets

Reactions: Tommigun

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Can you get a hotel for 49 a night?
Hotels in Finland, Helsinki especially are kind of expansive. Any decent hotel costs like 150€ a night so like $200.

Really looking forward on these games.

Oh and btw hopefulle Laine continues his hot streak and gets #50 and rocket!

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, in conjunction with the National Hockey League and the Florida Panthers, today announced details about the 2018 NHL Global Series™ games. The Panthers and Jets will face off in a pair of regular-season games at Hartwall Arena in Helsinki, Finland on Thursday, Nov. 1 and Friday, Nov. 2, with both games scheduled for 8 p.m. local time (1 p.m. CST). Tickets to the 2018 NHL Global Series™ games between the Jets and Panthers will go on sale on Monday, March 12 at 9 a.m. local time (2 a.m. CST) at https://www.livenation.fi.
The Winnipeg Jets, in both the 1.0 and 2.0 versions, share many connections with Finland. Four Finnish-born players have featured for Winnipeg since the Jets returned in 2011, including current players Joel Armia and Patrik Laine. Jets. 1.0 also featured a number of Finns, highlighted by Teemu Selanne and Teppo Numminen. In September 1994, the original Winnipeg Jets played three exhibition games in Finland for the 1994 NHL International Challenge in Finland including games against Selanne's Finnish club Jokerit and Tappara, which was Numminen's former team and is based in Tampere where both Numminen and Patrik Laine hail from.
The 2018 NHL Global Series™ will mark the seventh season the NHL has traveled to Europe to play regular-season games. These games reward the legion of loyal and passionate international fans by featuring some of the NHL's biggest stars and generating interest in the League worldwide. The three games this fall will be the 23rd, 24th and 25th NHL regular-season games played in Europe. The two games between Florida and Winnipeg will mark the fifth and sixth NHL regular-season games played in Finland, all of which have been played at Hartwall Arena in Helsinki.

Sorry if it's been asked, I can't find the answer anywhere. What's the third game?

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
150 is definitely on the high side and you should be able to go decent for a little over 100. Weekdays are a little more expensive than weekends but difference is not big.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So, 50/50 then?
I wish these games were pre-season games but it is what it is.

I prefer regular season. Doing it in preseason splits the group and would disrupt the normal training camp. It's early in the season. It. not too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad