Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Panthers - Helsinki (Nov 1 & 2) Hartwall Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Jets normally sell 15,264 tickets at pretty close to that 100-300 $ range (minus season ticket discount). I can't see the team wanting to take a revenue loss. With fewer seats to sell the average price might be well above that $100 floor.

If you want to take advantage of that once in a lifetime opportunity you may have to be prepared to pay a hefty price.

That's not how it works. The NHL reimburse both teams their typical gate $$$ so it ends up being just like they had a home game. No more no less. Then the NHL markets and sell the game abroad and the entire revenue stream goes into HRR. The gains are shared by everyone. Don't forget there's a euro TV component as well.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Much better Europe than Asia. That travel would really be a killer.

How many teams have participated in this overseas play to date? Do exhibition games count?

Regular season games: Rangers, Ducks, Senators, Kings, Avalanche, Sabres, Bruins, Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Wild, Coyotes, Sharks, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Panthers, Blues, Penguins and Lightning

NYR, Ottawa, Kings and Ducks more than once

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think it's time for HF Jets to pool (sauna?) together and nab one of those Hartwell Skyboxes.

Water! Humidity! Craft beer! Aquavit! Free towels! Zhamnov5GG! Imagine the GDT...

I potentially already have a trip around this time of year happening.
My chances of attending are actually pretty decent.
The flight cost was mainly already happening so this isn't as big a hill to climb.
It's within a couple of hour flight from my potential destination!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Highest season tickets price per game is 151.50$(2017-2018) and the lowest is 45.65$(2017-2018), 13 000 tickets are sold this way. In 2013 the average price of a ticket was $86.25 gross and 76$ net so if we up the price by 10% for current it's 95CDN gross per ticket.

15 321 x 95 = 1 455 495$ = 1 172 00€ gross

Let's assume a modest(7 years ago cheapest 2nd bowl ticket was 100€+) avg ticket price of 150€ for Hartwall arena and capacity of 13,349

13 349 x 150 = 2 002 350€ = 2 486 000$ gross

I stand corrected. :laugh: I was thinking of that avg price as the starting price. Please make allowances for my advanced age. :laugh:

There will be extra costs for the NHL teams for travel and they are not above trying to squeeze extra profit from special events so they may well target ticket revenue in the 2 - 2.5 mil range. BTW, Jets tickets are priced in $Canadian which I think is currently about .81 $US. Euro at 1.24 to the $US right now.

So if you take 2mil US (2.5M $C) / 13349 = $150. US = 121 Euros. Does that sound like a reasonable avg price to a Finn? The lower 2 mil $C would be about 100 Euros.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's not how it works. The NHL reimburse both teams their typical gate $$$ so it ends up being just like they had a home game. No more no less. Then the NHL markets and sell the game abroad and the entire revenue stream goes into HRR. The gains are shared by everyone. Don't forget there's a euro TV component as well.

Makes sense if the league also covers the travel costs and loss of local TV revenue (if any). Although it does seem that the teams should get something out of it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I stand corrected. :laugh: I was thinking of that avg price as the starting price. Please make allowances for my advanced age. :laugh:

There will be extra costs for the NHL teams for travel and they are not above trying to squeeze extra profit from special events so they may well target ticket revenue in the 2 - 2.5 mil range. BTW, Jets tickets are priced in $Canadian which I think is currently about .81 $US. Euro at 1.24 to the $US right now.

So if you take 2mil US (2.5M $C) / 13349 = $150. US = 121 Euros. Does that sound like a reasonable avg price to a Finn? The lower 2 mil $C would be about 100 Euros.

I would imagine that these overseas events are handled similarly to the outdoor games whereas it's an NHL run event and the Jets would likely be compensated by the league for the most revenue and additional travel costs etc.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I hope the prices come out early enough so I can make the decision of blowing a 1/6th of my bank account on 2 regulation games
And Jets fans who are going to Helsinki, the Hartwall Arena is really really expensive and I don't think you will be impressed by the fact that you can't bring alcoholic beverages to the stands

Do you guys think it's a faux pas to wear a Kärpät jersey for Aho? Kärpät jersey + a Nashville cap might not be the best outfit possible for a Jets-Canes match :D

The ticket prices or beer prices are not particularly relevant to how much your trip will cost from Canada.

If you do visit, do visit Finland properly, though!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Let them play an exhibition game there and Vaseline and Virtanen and Laine and Armia can all play both games. Weather will be better too.
I'd love to see Finland but have my sights set on Panama.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Let them play an exhibition game there and Vaseline and Virtanen and Laine and Armia can all play both games. Weather will be better too.
I'd love to see Finland but have my sights set on Panama.

Sounds like you've set yourself up for a major disappointment

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Why is that?

Your post made it sound like you are going to be quite upset if the Jets play games in Finland. They are about to announce that the Jets will play two games in Finland. Those two things.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Colorado lost both games in Sweden and have been on a tear ever since.

Ottawa won both games and have been in the dumpster ever since.
Both must've been caused by visiting Sweden, indeed. :D

I don't think this is gonna affect the Jets in any way or form. I'll be buying tickets the instant they are available

Reactions: FinJetster

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I'll try for sure, might make it into a weekend trip with my girlfriend and since she's a St. Petersburg girl, she knows Helsinki quite well. Not sure what to do with here during the game though :laugh:

Take her to the game with you. Problem solved.

Besides, flights from Germany to Helsinki are like 50€, last only 2 hours and at least in Lufthansa, free beer and wine are served during the flight. What's there not to like? :laugh:

I will think about going. The ticket prices will be steep (FEL tickets are like 10€ a piece) but considering how rare of an event this will be I wouldn't be too much put off by the idea of paying 150€ for seeing a real NHL game (not exhibition one).

For NA Jets fans who consider a trip to Finland, a small reminder: more than a year ago I made a promise to offer free accommodation as well as tour guide services for any American/Canadian who shows up on my door wearing a Laine jersey. This offer is still valid. (Armia/Niku/K-Ves jersey cases are negotiable. :D)

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is a pleasant development for Finns who follow the Jets. Very good plan and I'm happy that the NHL is thinking along these lines. It mimics what the NFL has done for years. Its great that our European friends get a chance to see the Jets play.

Reactions: kellhunter

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't suppose there are any dates proposed, yet. Will maybe try to link it to one of my trips to London.

Reactions: larmex99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad