GDT: Jets vs Coyotes (Feb-6th, 7pm CDT) - "The First Arch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I hear ya. When the Jets 1.0 left, I stopped watching hockey until 2011. It seemed we could never get things right for the post season.

I abstained from hockey altogether. I was in a dice hockey replay league that used defunct NHL teams. I got permission from the league to move my team to Winnipeg (originally we were the alt-universe Kansas City Scouts) and immediately got Graves #9 on my old Jets jersey to replace Essensa. That was a fun chat at the sporting goods store, at a time where geeky things weren't cool yet.

I wore that Jets jersey until I got over the grief, and then I started wearing real NHL jerseys from key players on my fantasy team.

I have a Wes Walz Minnesota jersey somewhere, a Guy Carbonneau Dallas jersey somewhere, and a proper Adam Graves Rangers jersey somewhere. Wore them all with pride.

But I was emphatic: I was NOT cheering for these teams. Just those players. Because I knew the Jets were coming back someday.

And until then, I had no favorite team.

Fifteen years, I was steadfast.

Some of my family even here in Winnipeg suggested I embrace the Coyotes. I rebuked them.

They told me the Jets were never coming back. I rebuked them.

My friends were less charitable. Said I was delusional. Insane. Had fan-boy goggles on. Winnipeg was a shit hole. They were never getting a hockey team back.

I rebuked them all.

And then one day, late spring in 2011, well let's just say I had a few phone calls to make.

iYGasa9.jpg

One of them was an old friend in Calgary I hadn't talked to for years. As soon as he picked up, he told me that he knew I was going to call him today. And why wouldn't I?

And indeed, for fifteen years, I held to two things:
1) The Jets were coming back someday.
2) f*** the Coyotes.

So yes, I would like us to win by about 15 or so. Help the Coyotes on their way to their historic, record-setting season. No other team more deserves to be the first in NHL history to finish 31st overall. Not even Toronto.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Enstrom misses a lot of these game day skates. No way he's 100%

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So we'll get

Laine Wheeler Roslovic
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Copp Armia
Lemieux Petan Dano

Morrissey Myers
Enstrom Buff
Chiarot Kulikov

Hellebuyck

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I abstained from hockey altogether.
Fifteen years, I was steadfast.
Some of my family even here in Winnipeg suggested I embrace the Coyotes. I rebuked them.
They told me the Jets were never coming back. I rebuked them.
My friends were less charitable. Said I was delusional. Insane. Had fan-boy goggles on. Winnipeg was a **** hole. They were never getting a hockey team back.
I rebuked them all.

A fine post. And, you are not alone. A buddy gave me a 'Yotes cap in 2009, and it rests in pristine condition somewhere in my basement.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Players pre-game audio: Petan, Ehlers and Wheeler.

Coach Maurice pre-game scrum topics: Update on players missing from today’s morning skate. Thoughts on Nic Petan and what he wants from him at centre. A need for Petan to play defence. How have Connor/Roslovic generated offence on the limited minutes on the 4th? Who does he plan on using on the penalty kill? Would he consider Armia on PK and Petan on PP? Dustin Byfuglien’s 800th game and what has he learned about him during his time here? With Scheifele coming back, what changes might we see to the power play? Update on Mark Scheifele? What is his message when he is public speaking? Confidence in Ben Chiarot’s game.

To listen click here.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So we'll get

Laine Wheeler Roslovic
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Copp Armia
Lemieux Petan Dano

Morrissey Myers
Enstrom Buff
Chiarot Kulikov

Hellebuyck

Interesting to see Connor on the shut down line?
Hopefully he is up for that style of game tonight.

Really hope Copp pots one tonight.
I had lost track of how few goals he has.
(Despite playing really well in other areas of his game)

Reactions: Jets 31

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The definition of trap game is a game the team doesn't take seriously. Then you agreed "because we are so banged up"

That's the correlation I don't understand.

Being a weaker team because of injuries has nothing to do with being a trap game
I'm not necessarily expecting a win here because Ariz has played some real good teams really well lately, but definitely not expecting this lineup to take it easy tonight either. IMO 70:30 chance we take this. The game I'm expecting a letdown from our lineup is the first game that Scheif is back. Too many guys have ramped up their game to a new level in his absence; that's when one might expect a few of them to let down a bit for a game or two.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Happy the game is in Wpg so we dont hear that lame howl if/when the Coyotes score.

(But would my 5 year old son ever love to hear it)

Please relocate to Quebec already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad