GDT: Jets Vs. Canucks (Oct 18rd, 7 P.M.) - Gamers' Delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Is anyone else feelings Jets fatigue? In my life as a Jets fan I've never been this apathetic, even during our gloomy years. I wonder if it's just a symptom of having a 2nd baby now and not really having the chance to sit down and watch games start to finish. Or the playoff run. or both.

When I was single a few years ago I took hockey a lot more seriously. I think it's pretty natural to take it less seriously as things happen.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Amazing!!

I played in a Rocket League tournament once with another jets fan, and our team name was Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler. I was Scheifele. We won a match! So cool seeing that gif considering.

Go jets pls start winning, I dont want to be in no-no land again

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I would be worried if Laine stopped relaxing and enjoying himself (with games, movies, books or whatever that isn't physically taxing) on game days. This whole gaming thing has been blown out of proportion and it's getting pretty boring to read about it....
Right, and if it was physically taxing, sometimes life does that to you.
Do fans get upset with players when they have newborn babies at home? Or toddlers to chase around at home etc. If you want to talk about being tired, I'm sure some parents can attest.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Perhaps you might truly appreciate why I added those things if you understood why I mentioned them.
You think playing video games is crippling his performance. That's your opinion. I pointed out that these players have lives, and what they do in them is their choice. The things I mentioned could very well be detrimental to their on-ice performance, but because they're not video games, they don't get criticized.

Actually, there are lots of things that get criticized. When Price wasn't up to par, they went after a new diet regime he was on. When any of the new dads have babies in the house, that gets brought up if they're not on their game. I understand why you brought it up, and I appreciate the condescending tone, but that was not what I was speaking about nor is it now. A person would have to be stupid to not realize that these people have lives. I never said they didn't. I was speaking to his focus. You think Chef would be the same player if his free time was spent on something like games instead of in the game? It's a free world and Laine can do whatever he wants, I was speaking to hoping see his potential be reached. Maybe this isn't the reason Laine hasn't seemed 100%. Maybe it is. Do you know 100% for certain?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Actually, there are lots of things that get criticized. When Price wasn't up to par, they went after a new diet regime he was on. When any of the new dads have babies in the house, that gets brought up if they're not on their game. I understand why you brought it up, but that was not what I was speaking about nor is it now. A person would have to be stupid to not realize that these people have lives. I never said they didn't. I was speaking to his focus. You think Chef would be the same player if his free time was spent on something like games instead of in the game? It's a free world and Laine can do whatever he wants, I was speaking to hoping see his potential be reached. Maybe this isn't the reason Laine hasn't seemed 100%. Maybe it is. Do you know 100% for certain?
You were the one who said you'd "flip your canoe." I am not 100% certain (you actually can't be under 100% certain, either you are certain, or you're not) whether or not Laine's hobbies are crippling to his performance. Perhaps he is a closet alcoholic, are you certain that he isn't? Speculation is a slippery slope, and perhaps it is something that shouldn't be discussed any longer.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
You were the one who said you'd "flip your canoe." I am not 100% certain (you actually can't be under 100% certain, either you are certain, or you're not) whether or not Laine's hobbies are crippling to his performance. Perhaps he is a closet alcoholic, are you certain that he isn't? Speculation is a slippery slope, and perhaps it is something that shouldn't be discussed any longer.

Well, we are in a discussion board. So there is apt to be some discussion, I would imagine. A poster mentioned that there was an actual team monitoring his actual games played today. That isn't speculation. It's a fact he was playing.

Anyways, this is derailing the thread. Enough already.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Well, we are in a discussion board. So there is apt to be some discussion, I would imagine. A poster mentioned that there was an actual team monitoring his actual games played today. That isn't speculation. It's a fact he was playing.

Speculation was never whether or not he was playing, but whether or not it is detrimental.

At least this is not as derailing as all of the marijuana talk. Would that be detrimental to a player's performance? Worms, meet the outside of the can.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So the voodoo doll didn't work last game so back to the old stand by

imageproxy.php

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I'd personally prefer if he was spending his time taking extra shots or working with a sports psychologist to get his mojo back, but, that's just me. :sarcasm:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Isn't it pretty typical for players to have an afternoon nap before a game? I've heard many players mention it so it must be a thing. If they're doing it, I assume it's for some good reason. If an afternoon nap would help Laine more than three hours of gaming would, then if he's not taking a nap in favour of gaming, he's hurting himself and the team, not to mention the people who are spending thousands of dollars to watch him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Perhaps you might truly appreciate why I added those things if you understood why I mentioned them.
You think playing video games is crippling his performance. That's your opinion. I pointed out that these players have lives, and what they do in them is their choice. The things I mentioned could very well be detrimental to their on-ice performance, but because they're not video games, they don't get criticized.
Andrew Ladd got criticized for missing a game to be with his wife when she delivered their baby. Slacker... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Spock

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Is anyone else feelings Jets fatigue? In my life as a Jets fan I've never been this apathetic, even during our gloomy years. I wonder if it's just a symptom of having a 2nd baby now and not really having the chance to sit down and watch games start to finish. Or the playoff run. or both.
I'd go with the first. Having young kids is all consuming, it's hard to rev up the energy to really get into anything else. I'm glad my kids younger years were when the Jets were gone, now I'm not cool enough for my daughter and my son loves the Jets so I get lots of time to watch.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Can someone please tell me which reporter it was that asked Maurice if the Jets miss Matt Hendricks in his pregame interview today?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Jets should have drafted Vertanen instead of Ehlers :sarcasm:

You are spelling it too well. It's "Vertanan", according to @ffh.

Jake Virtanen. Great to know he is finally doing something right on ice. Just hoping Ehlers & Laine will have much more points than him after this game. Just don't know what to expect when PoMo experiment is going on and the potential is wasted.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Here here... some great wisdom from Mr Spock.

What Laine needs to do is to use an anonymous account for his gaming so that every Tom, Dick and Harry isn't creepily watching his gaming schedule

Reactions: Spock

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I actually am more charged than ever, maybe because I really think the Jets have a genuine opportunity to win it all. For the same reason, I find myself being much more focused on coaching / line-up decisions now that the stakes are higher. I've gone from focusing more on the overall organizational development strategy to the implementation, now that they have the core assets to contend with the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad