News Article: Jets top the ranks of teams on no-trade lists

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am not surprised but am also encouraged by the fact it appears winning is much more important than livability. Colorado, Florida, Arizona are three of the nicer places to live in the NHL and they make this list when they are losing.

Nobody said it was going to be easy for Chevy but Edmonton has topped this list twice yet during that same time frame Chairelli went out and fixed the goaltending and rebuilt a terrible D core in two off seasons. This is a MILD factor but not a death sentence by any means.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Look at Edmonton you would think with the team they have now,Connor McDavid and that new building, it would be a desirable place to play. It isn't and the factors determining that go beyond the team

Is Calgary that much nicer a place to live in than Winnipeg/Edmonton? Is Ottawa? I don't think so. How come those teams are also not at the top of this list? It seems to me that for Edmonton the stench of the McTavish era is still strong and will take a while to go away and once it does, I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop out of this list.

I am not surprised but am also encouraged by the fact it appears winning is much more important than livability. Colorado, Florida, Arizona are three of the nicer places to live in the NHL and they make this list when they are losing.

Nobody said it was going to be easy for Chevy but Edmonton has topped this list twice yet during that same time frame Chairelli went out and fixed the goaltending and rebuilt a terrible D core in two off seasons. This is a MILD factor but not a death sentence by any means.

Agreed. It shouldn't be taken for granted that Winnipeg tops this list every year. The management should be able to improve Jets position in this list by winning.

I'd be mad as hell if I was a Panthers fan and saw the team on this list. They play in Miami, no state taxes, solid young team that is on the up and up, yet on this list. Seems like all the bad PR events over the last 1.5 years are taking their toll

Last edited:

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Back in the '80's no one wanted to play in Pittsburgh or Detroit.

Winning changes everything.

Definitely, NYI and Oilers of the 80's were likely pretty hot destinations for premium talent players.

IMO the Blackhawks know how to reward loyalty; hand out 10M/year contracts to guys that will cause you to win cups. 3rd pairing D-men and 4th liners don't have NTC's.

Rewarding loyalty is awesome if done correctly.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not no one, but given the fact that the pool is going to (should) be restricted both by players generally not looking to play here and players not willing to take good value deals, there isn't a terribly large pool to draw from.

I don't think the pool is that restricted. There might be 50 guys combined between the annual UFA crop and players with NTC/NMCs who would never entertain the thought of coming here... Out of about 200-300 or so players?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So nobody is all that jazzed about playing for a team in a small, cold, relatively remote city, that consistently misses the playoffs?

Only one of those things needs to change.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Definitely, NYI and Oilers of the 80's were likely pretty hot destinations for premium talent players.

Not really. Rules were completely different back then. There was no free agency, period. Trying to google exactly when free agency came into the NHL - only link I can find suggests 1995, though I thought it was a bit earlier than that.

That was part of the subtext on why the Jets left in the first place. With no salary cap and no revenue sharing, but with free agency, the Jets were never going to be able to compete in the league.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
ESPN insider report shows the Oilers and Leafs moved up the list. Winning changes a lot of minds

Just start winning... Just start winning... :sarcasm:

fn-dory.png

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Not really. Rules were completely different back then. There was no free agency, period. Trying to google exactly when free agency came into the NHL - only link I can find suggests 1995, though I thought it was a bit earlier than that.

That was part of the subtext on why the Jets left in the first place. With no salary cap and no revenue sharing, but with free agency, the Jets were never going to be able to compete in the league.

Agreed, forgot about the good old days:) However I believe that neither of those teams would have had any trouble back then with attracting top talent (not that they needed any more)

As many other posters said; Just start winning, a winning streak to start the season and then real .500 hockey after that. Once they are in the playoffs you only need a one game winning streak on as long as it's the last game:naughty:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wonder how many of those with no trades to Winnipeg would change their minds if they knew they would be playing the next 5+ years with Laine...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So nobody is all that jazzed about playing for a team in a small, cold, relatively remote city, that consistently misses the playoffs?

So you're saying the Jets best bet is for global warming to start ravaging the planet and turn Winnipeg into a temperate paradise? :sarcasm:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder how many of those with no trades to Winnipeg would change their minds if they knew they would be playing the next 5+ years with Laine...

I think having guys like Scheif and Ehlers would make guys think about that a bit differently. They would have to be confident they are better linemates than either of them. If I'm a good player whose being asked to waive his NTC to go to Winnipeg and I think I'm going to be playing with Laine, I better be confident I'm going to bring more to the table as a center than Scheif will or as a winger than Ehlers will. I mean if the only reason I'm going to Winnipeg is because I think I'll play along side Laine.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

:cry: Now that you put it that way, I want to move.......

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

Im going to buy a big V8 to do my part to speed up global warming to solve the issue the easiest way :sarcasm:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So you're saying the Jets best bet is for global warming to start ravaging the planet and turn Winnipeg into a temperate paradise? :sarcasm:

Not only that but when the ice caps completely melt and sea levels rise 70 meters we'll wipe Vancouver, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, Tampa, Washington, Philly, New Jersey, both NY teams, Boston, Montreal and Ottawa off the map. Whichever players survive will be ripe for the picking in FA. They'll have no choice but to come here. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Add a veteran goaltender and a decent LHD over the summer. We have the depth to do it. Maybe change the coach.

I think it's time to make a move now.

I have been a "just wait, just wait, have patience, it's a process" guy since Jets 2.0 returned. I am fully on board with what you say above. The time is now, this off season it when we need to move into a new phase in the process.

My expectations for Chevy this summer are exactly what you say above - NHL top 4 LHD signed to minimum 4 years. A "right now" NHL starting caliber goaltender. I think both of these things can be had, the LHD by trading some of our copious assets, and the goalie through FA - there being a bunch of quality players coming available, and ours being one of the few starting jobs obviously available.

If Chevy doesn't achieve this over the next 6 months, I'm fully into the "Fire Chevy" crew.

I'm willing to give Maurice the benefit of the doubt all of next year, but super short leash on the ****** deployment if we don't face injuries like this year and ESPECIALLY if he's given what we need from Chevy.

For the first time since we've been back, I feel like next year we should make the playoffs and if we don't everyone should be fired.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks, Chipman & Jets management.

Location, city size, weather we can't change, the only thing we can change is this history/culture of losing....that's completely on Chipman & Chevy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad