Jets Top Prospects Poll: #7 Prospect

Who is the Jets #7 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ironically Stanley’s overall scoring relative to age this season is worse than the previous season.
I still think that there needs to be some straightforward adjustments for D scoring, that accounts for usage and systems. It's not uncommon to see substantial differences between junior teams in terms of the role of defensemen in the offense. There are endless justifications for Trouba's 5v5 offense, which makes sense, but also extends to junior, perhaps even moreso.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Has everyone really given up on Comrie? He has a very real shot of making the NHL this or next year.

I've been telling people to cool their jets on Comrie for 2 years. Now I'm having to go the other way. :laugh: 3 weak games and he's a bum.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Fair enough but that is only true because all of their best prospects have made the big club. I suspect that this shallowing of the prospect pool happens to all team that become contenders for the cup. I do not see this as a bad thing because after all is not winning it all the ultimate goal no matter what that does to the prospect pool?

Hey, I just stated a fact. Winning cups is good. So is having a deep prospect pool.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Our pool got shallow only partly because of graduations. It will be tougher for players to graduate from now on so the pool should be rebuilt to some extent.

Agree that will help but if the Jets 1st pick is constantly in the high 20's or higher because they are one of the best teams in the league it will be much harder for the Jets to find high end talent going forward. The fact is drafting only become more important going forward. On the plus side the Jets scouts have proven to be some of the best in the league.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I still think that there needs to be some straightforward adjustments for D scoring, that accounts for usage and systems. It's not uncommon to see substantial differences between junior teams in terms of the role of defensemen in the offense. There are endless justifications for Trouba's 5v5 offense, which makes sense, but also extends to junior, perhaps even moreso.

Yes which is why my company sells what it sells, but there’s also a reason why even most low scoring nhl defensive defenders scored in junior.
It’s one thing to lose TOI to a guy in the NHL that you may be better than.
It’s another to lose it to a player who will likely not make the AHL.
(Speaking in generalities here)

Reactions: ps241

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I've telling people to cool their jets on Comrie for 2 years. Now I'm having to go the other way. :laugh: 3 weak games and he's a bum.

Well he has not been impressive in the AHL either. His career minor league stats are mediocre-average, in the three seasons he has been with the Moose. Hutch really outplayed him last season.

STZD

Jan 13, 2018
The ironic thing is I think Stanley’s scoring may underrate his offensive upside. His defense, or really the issues he has that makes his defensive impact so poutine, is what worries me.

Is this a thing? Like, his defensive game has the solidity of fries and cheese curds soaked in gravy?

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Easy Spacek...... Would have been Foley by now...... but we had Stasny for 3 months...... a trade that I agreed with at the deadline and now by the way...

I just liked Foleys game

edit ..... also our 1st could have been Joe Velano a 6'1 big scoring centre that would have rated in btw #3-#5 on our draft list....

Last edited:

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
At the Moose games I saw I was even more confident with Philips in net than Comrie.

Well he has not been impressive in the AHL either. His career minor league stats are mediocre-average, in the three seasons he has been with the Moose. Hutch really outplayed him last season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. And that's what I have been trying to point out to cheerleaders for 2 years. Now I am going to have to start pointing out that he only just turned 23 and is continuing to improve, if quite slowly. My expectations for Comrie haven't gone down, or up lately. Not ready to give up on him entirely just yet. This coming year will be decisive for him, IMO.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. And that's what I have been trying to point out to cheerleaders for 2 years. Now I am going to have to start pointing out that he only just turned 23 and is continuing to improve, if quite slowly. My expectations for Comrie haven't gone down, or up lately. Not ready to give up on him entirely just yet. This coming year will be decisive for him, IMO.
He moves so well in his crease technically but I've noticed a few things in my live viewings. He over commits and takes himself outve position far too often. For a guy who moves so well he needs to be higher in his crease to cut down angles. Plus he seemed to lose confidence, I saw mental lapses in his game and less consistency, he has good physical tools but I was higher on him a few years ago, the last few years I've seen him regress a bit. He's not a write off but I did not see him play that great in my viewings.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He moves so well in his crease technically but I've noticed a few things in my live viewings. He over commits and takes himself outve position far too often. For a guy who moves so well he needs to be higher in his crease to cut down angles. Plus he seemed to lose confidence, I saw mental lapses in his game and less consistency, he has good physical tools but I was higher on him a few years ago, the last few years I've seen him regress a bit. He's not a write off but I did not see him play that great in my viewings.

That's what I saw, even with my untrained eye.

How much have you seen of him in the A? Have you seen him in his good periods, or only when he was in a down cycle?

He appeared intimidated in his NHL games. Has he learned from that, or will he?

I don't see a future starter. He might be a future backup - but that requires a mental toughness that he hasn't shown yet.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The over-reliance on athleticism is nothing new. That's been my complaint since day 1.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
That's what I saw, even with my untrained eye.

How much have you seen of him in the A? Have you seen him in his good periods, or only when he was in a down cycle?

He appeared intimidated in his NHL games. Has he learned from that, or will he?

I don't see a future starter. He might be a future backup - but that requires a mental toughness that he hasn't shown yet.
I've seen him get on hot streaks and play well over the years as well but then he has some awful games. He's not consistent in his performance. Last year when people were cutting Helly and anointing him a Jets roster spot I had stated that he needed at least 2 more years in the AHL before being considered a backup.
I'm sure he learned what from his few NHL games as now he now what it takes to get to that level. He was certainly inconsistent in those games as well and was overwhelmed. I thought he could develop into a back up one day but every year I feel less certain about it. He has played behind some pretty bad Moose D over the years but that only factors in so much. I see him more as a AHL/NHL tweener now going forward, so basically a #3.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The ironic thing is I think Stanley’s scoring may underrate his offensive upside. His defense, or really the issues he has that makes his defensive impact so poutine, is what worries me.

Offensively I actually don’t mind his game for a guy that is gangly. Defensively he is WAY below average. I think two or three seasons in the AHL then he gets his 100 games in the NHL because he was drafted in the 1st round AND he is 6’7”.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Offensively I actually don’t mind his game for a guy that is gangly. Defensively he is WAY below average. I think two or three seasons in the AHL then he gets his 100 games in the NHL because he was drafted in the 1st round AND he is 6’7”.
Winnipeg's Sam Morin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Winnipeg's Sam Morin

The next Jamie BIG RIG Oleksiak.

I am expecting Morin to make his debut this season FOR the Flyers as their #6......heck of a fighter. Who needs Josh Morrissey when you can have a 6’6” fighter.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I am expecting Morin to make his debut this season FOR the Flyers as their #6......heck of a fighter. Who needs Josh Morrissey when you can have a 6’6” fighter.
Lol, that draft war room.
I haven't followed Morin, how has he played in the AHL?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: You left out the :sarcasm:, but I think I got it anyway. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad