Jets Top Prospects Poll: #5 Prospect

Who is the Jets #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Voted Gustafsson. I think he projects better to the NHL than Lemieux who I still question his head.

Add I guess Kravkovsky. I don't have much faith in many guys left not in list but I think Kraskovsky has NHL potential even if it's 3-4 years away even though he is 21 already.

Reactions: HannuJ

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Gustafsson for me. I think he is a 1st round talent. Needs to improve foot speed, but his production was great.

Recent players who produced similarly to Gus pre-draft in SHL (minimum of 20 gp):
Zibanejad . 35
Nylander .32
Gustafsson .27
Kempe .24
Vesalainen .23
Grundstrom .21
Eriksson Ek .18

Dahlin out produced everyone. He's nuts.
Liljegren . 26
Larsson . 35

Spacek and Lemieux are probably my next two votes.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I like Gustafsson and think he's a bit of a sleeper here. He is a player that will only get better and I feel he's a first round talent. He's got areas to work on like skating but who doesn't, this player excites me.
Add Kovacevic.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Gustafsson for me. I think he is a 1st round talent. Needs to improve foot speed, but his production was great.

Recent players who produced similarly to Gus pre-draft in SHL (minimum of 20 gp):
Zibanejad . 35
Nylander .32
Gustafsson .27
Kempe .24
Vesalainen .23
Grundstrom .21
Eriksson Ek .18

Dahlin out produced everyone. He's nuts.
Liljegren . 26
Larsson . 35

Spacek and Lemieux are probably my next two votes.
I think we wrote the exact same thing lol

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Lemieux had the same points per game as Appleton this year - and they’re the same age. Well technically Lemieux is two months younger.
I think the Jets need someone who can be a real net front presence, tip pucks and create chaos in front of the opposing goalie. Lemieux does all that very well.
He’ll just need to cut down on the penalties but nobody is all over Buff for having far more penalties than anyone else.
If Lemieux with his scoring touch and agitator game can get his penalties down to Buff area or lower, he’ll be a very good piece for this team.
If he hadn’t had that real nice jump in his skating then I wouldn’t be voting for him, but that has improved immensely and that makes him a lot better player.

Reactions: libertarian

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Went with Lemieux. Can't really ignore the production and skating. If his head is screwed on right, he'll be in the NHL.

Hard to pass on Gustafsson and his production here, but skating is a red flag and until it's fixed, he won't translate his other skills into an NHL toolkit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its between Berdin, Lemieux, Spacek and Gustafsson.

Actually, when I look at that list - it is Lemieux. The next one is a 3 way race though.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Torn between Spacek and Gustafsson. Spacek had a good rookie season in the AHL but Gustafsson had a very good season playing against men in the SHL. I'll go with Gustafsson for now because I am intrigued about his potential.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Did we decide that Bourque isn't a prospect?

He's 21 & never played an NHL game. Why wouldn't he be a prospect?

I went off the board & voted Stanley. Hated the pick & what we gave up to acquire him, but I can't bring myself to vote for Lemieux & don't know enough about Gustafsson to project him over Stanley.

Fingers are crossed on Logan, but why why why don't we have Clague & Girard? Life would be so good.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Gustafsson...

Really like how he protects the puck *and* distributes. You see a lot of guys protect the puck well but then don't know what to do and just throws it into the corner. Gustafsson isn't like that. He really learnt to drive the bus in the back half, as I found most of his first-half goals were more opportunistic than driven, kinda like Lemieux or Appleton.

He's definitely not as sure thing as some of our past #5s have been, but he's a number five on this list IMO.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Gustafsson, many projects him to be a 1st Rounder(his numbers could have easily made him one), if not for his skating he’d probably be gone near 15 IMO. I think he will be a Long Term project that will be a High End 3C(that is good at scoring goals and playing in his own zone) and could potentially be a 2C. Worst case scenario he’s Harkins 2.0(he fell in the draft as he was projected to go in the late 1st round by many, obviously was a steal then but it ain’t one now), let’s hope that’s not the case though.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I voted Lemieux. I am not as concerned about the discipline issue as some may be. There was only one time last season where his penalties cost the Moose a game and those penalties were really undeserved.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Samberg should be second. and how is petan not a prospect. he has never made the team out of training camp and has never finished the year with a regular spot. he absolutely is a prospect regardless of how many games he sat on the bench and wasn't used.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Samberg should be second. and how is petan not a prospect. he has never made the team out of training camp and has never finished the year with a regular spot. he absolutely is a prospect regardless of how many games he sat on the bench and wasn't used.
HF board rules is what we're following, and once you play 65 games as a skater you graduate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->