Jets Top Prospects Poll: #2 Prospect

Who is the Jets #2 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It is my first time doing these polls so let me know if I'm missing something (I did this poll for 21 hours, is that too long?)

Congrats to Vesalainen on being the Jets top prospect. I just decided to link all winners to Elite Prospects as they have good info there.

1. Kristian Vesalainen - 66.9%

Please vote for #2 and let me know who to add. Spacek was added to this one.

Reactions: Romang67

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For me, this is between Niku and Samberg. Niku has the better resume and is closer to the NHL. Still, I have a hunch that Samberg is more likely to be a cornerstone type of D.

I went with the conventional choice in Niku.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Niku was worth the price of admission on the Moose last year. He is a fun player to watch and I really see a lot of Erik Karlsson in his game. He needs to improve his play in his own zone but his offensive abilities and through the roof, this kid is fun to watch! I think he finishes the year on the Jets roster.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
For me, this is between Niku and Samberg. Niku has the better resume and is closer to the NHL. Still, I have a hunch that Samberg is more likely to be a cornerstone type of D.

In a few years we could see:
Jmo Troubs
Niku Buff
Samberg Poolman
We are going to need to have some good young D's that are cheaper than what we have now so that we can keep all our big boys up front.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm just going with the flow on this one. ;)

Please add Berdin. I want to be able to vote for a goalie other than Comrie. With Berdin, I still have hope. Comrie is a proven miss in my estimation.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Prospect pool is not deep like it used to be. It's kinda hard to say who to add even at this point, when the player will be close to a top 10 ranking. I think arguments could be made for Suess, Smith, Berdin, Green, Gawanke, Kraskovsky. Based on personal preference you could even have 3rd tier (IMO) guys like Kovacevic, Vallati, Moe, Cederholm, Chrisholm, Bourque, Harkins, Nogier in there somewhere. If we get a single NHL regular out of those 14 names that's probably pretty good.

I'll go with Green to add.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Niku for now
It might make sense to add multiple guys to the next one, to give people more options

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just add any of the prospects identified by our US scouts. They haven't missed on many.

I'm sure you know this, but for anyone who doesn't know the guy who does primarily our US scouting at NAHL/USHL level is an ex-hfboards poster who started as a hobby scout before joining an independent outfit and then his hf profile went dark after he announced he had been hired by an NHL team. Quite cool, particularly as it appears he is having massive success with the Jets.

Reactions: wasup

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Prospect pool is not deep like it used to be. It's kinda hard to say who to add even at this point, when the player will be close to a top 10 ranking. I think arguments could be made for Suess, Smith, Berdin, Green, Gawanke, Kraskovsky. Based on personal preference you could even have 3rd tier (IMO) guys like Kovacevic, Vallati, Moe, Cederholm, Chrisholm, Bourque, Harkins, Nogier in there somewhere. If we get a single NHL regular out of those 14 names that's probably pretty good.

I'll go with Green to add.
How about Skyler McKenzie?
And does Kerdiles still apply under the boards rules?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Care to give a comparable?

Reactions: dabizz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How about Skylar McKenzie?
And does Kerdiles still apply under the boards rules?

My list was the result of 2 minute check on capfriendly where Kerdiles is listed as RFA and McKenzie is listed on Jets main roster for some reason which is why I missed those two names. Both would count as prospects, I'd rank Kerdiles and McKenzie probably in my tier 3. Again not like there's really much of anything dividing those tiers though, tier 2's have a bit higher upside than tier 3's but many of them have lower floors, IMO. When we get down to the later picks I tend to go for the guy with a 10% chance of being an NHL regular (ie Kraskovsky/Berdin/Green) over the guy with a 90% chance of being a replacement level player but little chance of better (ie Nogier/Kerdiles). Personal preference though.

So yeah I stand by if we can get one decent NHL regular from those 16 names that'd be good.

Last edited:

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Niku, because he’s got 50+ point(consistent) potential... If we can get that from the LD position we are pretty much set.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Also Luke Green, Santeri Virtanen, Skyler Mckenzie, Leon Gawanke, Jacob Cedarholm, Jansen Harkins.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
My list was the result of 2 minute check on capfriendly where Kerdiles is listed as RFA and McKenzie is listed on Jets main roster for some reason which is why I missed those two names. Both would count as prospects, I'd rank Kerdiles and McKenzie probably in my tier 3. Again not like there's really much of anything dividing those tiers though, tier 2's have a bit higher upside than tier 3's but many of them have lower floors, IMO. When we get down to the later picks I tend to go for the guy with a 10% chance of being an NHL regular (ie Kraskovsky/Berdin/Green) over the guy with a 90% chance of being a replacement level player but no better (ie Nogier/Kerdiles). Personal preference though.

So yeah I stand by if we can get one decent NHL regular from those 16 names that'd be good.
I like your first four names above. Suess, Green, Smith are the most likely to make it, so if one does I think it could be one of those three. Suess is older so he will need to have a good year this year. Smith is the one that intrigues me the most. And we will see how Luke Green can bounce back, missed a lot of time last year, he's a guy Ill be watching closely with the Moose, great skater.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
It is my first time doing these polls so let me know if I'm missing something (I did this poll for 21 hours, is that too long?)

Congrats to Vesalainen on being the Jets top prospect. I just decided to link all winners to Elite Prospects as they have good info there.

1. Kristian Vesalainen - 66.9%

Please vote for #2 and let me know who to add. Spacek was added to this one.

The only input I'd give is to follow the same criteria as past polls so when we look back the year 2018 will be line with 2011-2017. Lemieux should still be considered a prospect by the old Hockeys Future criteria as would be Roslovic.

Kinda too late now though as we've begun.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The only input I'd give is to follow the same criteria as past polls so when we look back the year 2018 will be line with 2011-2017. Lemieux should still be considered a prospect by the old Hockeys Future criteria as would be Roslovic.

Kinda too late now though as we've begun.
Somebody had mentioned that Roslo had graduated cause of games played. If he was still eligible it would sure make the top few spots a lot more interesting.
(Plus what was the criteria for past polls?)
edit: I think I got it pretty close. And Roslo wasn't included because of this below in the HF Rule.

"Also, for players that are close to either the 65-game (skaters) or 45-game (goaltenders) benchmark but have also clearly "arrived" as NHL players, HF reserves the right to remove these players from consideration as prospects and instead consider these players graduated."

I think Roslo has arrived but that can be subjective. He's played 42 total games including 10 playoff games. (Gm0ney helped me out on this, can you chime in to explain further?)

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Just add any of the prospects identified by our US scouts. They haven't missed on many.
There is an unbelievable amount of talent coming from south of the border now i just think the Jets figured it out earlier than most .

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Somebody had mentioned that Roslo had graduated cause of games played. If he was still eligible it would sure make the top few spots a lot more interesting.
(Plus what was the criteria for past polls?)
edit: I think I got it pretty close. And Roslo wasn't included because of this below in the HF Rule.

"Also, for players that are close to either the 65-game (skaters) or 45-game (goaltenders) benchmark but have also clearly "arrived" as NHL players, HF reserves the right to remove these players from consideration as prospects and instead consider these players graduated."

I think Roslo has arrived but that can be subjective. He's played 42 total games including 10 playoff games. (Gm0ney helped me out on this, can you chime in to explain further?)

Here's the page for the old criteria:

Hockey's Future - NHL Prospect Criteria

I've always thought the best method would be to post the prospects within the entire organization ahead of time & then go from there with nominations coming from that list. There's been a few occasions over the years where someone was forgotten about & then inserted late. Better to just get it all out of the way at the beginning.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the page for the old criteria:

Hockey's Future - NHL Prospect Criteria

I've always thought the best method would be to post the prospects within the entire organization ahead of time & then go from there with nominations coming from that list. There's been a few occasions over the years where someone was forgotten about & then inserted late. Better to just get it all out of the way at the beginning.
If someone puts a list together I'll add it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Posted this in #1. Adding it again.

Niku was dominant in the AHL this year, but he was also great in Liiga the year prior. He was 7th in Liiga D scoring and put up a top 12 all time point total for U21 Liiga D.

He looks like money in the bank, with top pair upside.

Reactions: SLAYER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad