Jets Top Prospects Poll: #1 Prospect

Who is the Jets #1 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Not all D men need to score 50 points.
not sure how, at this point in time, you can rate Samberg ahead of Niku.
let's talk in a year and see where Samberg's ceiling is. but, as of now, it's pretty damn hard to convince me that Samberg's a better prospect than the guy who just won the AHL Defenceman of the Year award.

Reactions: Ippenator

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Niku.
Any other answer is silly.

First time on American Ice. First season pro.... wins Eddie Shore!?!?!

That’s crazy. Like super freak phenom 1rst overall pick franchise defining moment, crazy.

Then walks in to the NHL for his first “cup of coffee” call up and looked like a pretty solid veteran and scores a goal!?

Sure he might not make it, or never “get” the NHL..... but as of right now..... he’s gotta be top of the list.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Voted Niku and it was easy. And seconds after I cast my vote, realized Vesalainen was there, too.

My bad. Add Petan.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Niku.
Any other answer is silly.

First time on American Ice. First season pro.... wins Eddie Shore!?!?!

That’s crazy. Like super freak phenom 1rst overall pick franchise defining moment, crazy.

Then walks in to the NHL for his first “cup of coffee” call up and looked like a pretty solid veteran and scores a goal!?

Sure he might not make it, or never “get” the NHL..... but as of right now..... he’s gotta be top of the list.
He was great, but so was Vesalainen, his comparables from that league at same age is impressive too.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
I took Niku, after his first Pro season and watching him a few times at Moose games where he really stood out to me I believe this kid has what it takes to be a solid top 4 D-Man in this league. Question, where do you think Stanley ranks among that list? I've followed him and the guy hasn't impressed me at all, bust perhaps?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Vesalainen is 3 years younger and even if Niku's more proven, Vesalainen has a lot of time. Vesalainen's scoring in Liiga is almost at the level of Sebastian Aho even though his team was much worse and Aho ended up being a difference-maker the very next season. Of course, I don't consider Vesalainen as talented as Aho but still, when we consider his set of abilities and his physical assets, there's a lot to like and I don't see why he wouldn't become a first liner in an optimal scenario.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I honestly wanted to vote twice. Like most here, it's a real toss up between Vesalainen and Niku. I'm just so happy that we have both and both will fill needs that we have.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Torn between Vesa and Niku. I think Niku still needs to work on his defensive zone game.

Thanks for doing this, puck stoppa!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Voted Niku and it was easy. And seconds after I cast my vote, realized Vesalainen was there, too.

My bad. Add Petan.
Petan's played too many NHL games to be considered a prospect. I think we've traditionally used the HF definition of a prospect: a skater who has played less than 65 games and hasn't completed 24-year-old-season. Goalies only have to hit 45 games and 24 years.

Actually, by that definition, Roslovic is still a prospect (he's only played in 42 NHL games, regular season + playoffs).

Age-outs this year:
Lipon (25)
Poolman (25)

Games exceeded this year:
Connor (113 GP regular season + playoffs)

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Even though Roslovic is technically still a prospect I think we can consider him graduated. I voted Vesalainen. Niku is closer to the NHL but I think Vesalainen will be a really good player once he makes it (AHL this year, NHL next year)

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I went Appleton , the Moose games i saw this year he was by far their best player . Vesalainen could top him if he keeps progressing and Niku is offensive we will see how his defence translate's to the NHL . These are the top three for me .

Reactions: Ares

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I went Appleton , the Moose games i saw this year he was by far their best player . Vesalainen could top him if he keeps progressing and Niku is offensive we will see how his defence translate's to the NHL . These are the top three for me .

I hope I get to see Appleton on the Jets this year. I haven't really seen much of him and he's getting pretty high praise from you and others.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Tough call really between Niku and Vesa.

Niku unquestionably excelled in North America in his first season here. But that's at the AHL level, not the NHL level. His tiny NHL sample size doesn't count for much with me, even though he looked quite good. Defencemen traditionally take longer to get all aspects of the NHL game and while I couldn't agree more that Niku's ceiling is very high I'm in no hurry to have him on the Jets. I want the Morrissey approach with him (and frankly all NHL D draft picks we have) - let them season in the A for a couple of years. If he knocks down the door in training camp, well, throw that out but if he's just meh then another year won't kill us.

Vesa had an exceptional season in a men's league, on par with some substantially higher draft picks that play in the same league over time. He has numerous tools, skill and size. Duly noting his shooting percentage. But he accomplished quite a lot on a team that wasn't stellar, emerging in some aspects as a leader at a very young age. The NHL is generally kinder and easier to break into for wingers and I think Vesa is able to stick with the team this year. I won't be heartbroken if he plays a year in the A to learn the North American game a little better but I think he has better odds of sticking with the team this year so went with him.

Pretty hard not to be excited with a pair of guys that might forecast out as Karlsson-lite and Wheeler-esque (ceiling of course, not expectation).

Reactions: ruffus23 and Ares

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The NHL is generally kinder and easier to break into for wingers and I think Vesa is able to stick with the team this year.

Who would he bump? Connor, Ehlers and Perreault are locks. I see Lemmy on the 4th line before I see KV. And sitting in the PB does him no good. I don't want him anywhere but 1st or 2nd line on the Moose.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Whileee

May 29, 2010
not sure how, at this point in time, you can rate Samberg ahead of Niku.
let's talk in a year and see where Samberg's ceiling is. but, as of now, it's pretty damn hard to convince me that Samberg's a better prospect than the guy who just won the AHL Defenceman of the Year award.
I tend to agree with this, but I'm not sure that Samberg wasn't more promising in his D+1 season than Niku. Samberg was outstanding in the WJHC-20 and came on strong to play a key role on a NCAA championship team as a freshman. I would put Niku ahead at this point, but I think it's close.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hope I get to see Appleton on the Jets this year. I haven't really seen much of him and he's getting pretty high praise from you and others.
I would add Samberg and Lemieux to make it a top 5. I think Lemieux might very well be the first prospect to get an extended look at the NHL level.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
i think appleton is the most underrated prospect. again, that us scout is gold with his picks.

maybe with getting rid of armia, it opens up space for each these prospects to get a few NHL games each. i would think this would do wonders for the collective (and individual) development of the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad