Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Adam Lowry to 3 year contract worth $8.75 million

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Let's hope Adam is prophetic as he said Trouba and the Jets are working out a deal right now, now working ON a deal.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Giveaways is a meaningless stat. Not only for the reason you listed but also that is tracked entirely subjectively in rink by 31+ different stat trackers. One person might call it a giveaway, another credit to opposing player with a takeaway others not track it all. Hell inside the own game sometimes the same person will make subjective calls that are inconsistent as it's nearly impossible to judge. Both giveaways and takeaways are meaningless in the best of circumstances, very misleading at worst. They are very reputation based as well. You get slightly better results filtering just for away games, but even then it's a terrible stat.
I wouldn't use the word meaningless, but I like misleading a lot. Giveaways are a bit like hits. Sure, hitting more can be interpreted as having more involvement in the game, but then again, you're very likely to be chasing the puck when you're hitting and not controlling it.

Ehlers averages one more giveaway per hour than the next Jets' forward. Do you know what he also does? He is responsible for controlling a lot of our transition game, which, oddly enough, means that he has the puck a lot. Reading too much into a stat like giveaways can give you a horribly misguided idea of what a player is good at.

And @FonRiesen, what parameters did you use to find a stat which has Lowry 4th in giveaways? In my search of giveaways per 60 among all Jets with 250+ minutes at 5v5, he is dead last. Within those parameters, he is fourth in takeaways, though.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Let's hope Adam is prophetic as he said Trouba and the Jets are working out a deal right now, now working ON a deal.

That would be great but I would be surprised if Jacob is in the loop let alone Adam (I am only half joking). It sure would be nice maybe the Dumba deal is an eye opener for both parties.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Giveaways is a meaningless stat. Not only for the reason you listed but also that is tracked entirely subjectively in rink by 31+ different stat trackers. One person might call it a giveaway, another credit to opposing player with a takeaway others not track it all. Hell inside the own game sometimes the same person will make subjective calls that are inconsistent as it's nearly impossible to judge. Both giveaways and takeaways are meaningless in the best of circumstances, very misleading at worst. They are very reputation based as well. You get slightly better results filtering just for away games, but even then it's a terrible stat.

Wish we had a 'good stat' for that though. It is an important thing. Just very hard to get meaningful numbers.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I thought that any time a player loses the puck to the opposition, when an opposing player forces the puck from the other player’s stick, the losing player gets a giveaway and the other a takeaway. If this isn’t the case why not, it’d be simple.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought that any time a player loses the puck to the opposition, when an opposing player forces the puck from the other player’s stick, the losing player gets a giveaway and the other a takeaway. If this isn’t the case why not, it’d be simple.

Nope. If this were the case the total "possession" changes in a game would amount to like 20 if you look at the stats. Watching a hockey game could you say that is a realistic number? Hell even at 100 you'd be well short. Hockey is a really hard game to gauge in this respect. You screws up on a missed pass could be any number of 3-4 guys, and then it may just be a good play by the other teams 2-3 guys. It's nearly impossible to judge. Nevermind board battles, dump ins, strips, fumbles, etc, etc.

Reactions: Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

It should be the case but it isn’t. Don’t you think there should be far higher numbers considering how often possession changes?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't use the word meaningless, but I like misleading a lot. Giveaways are a bit like hits. Sure, hitting more can be interpreted as having more involvement in the game, but then again, you're very likely to be chasing the puck when you're hitting and not controlling it.

Ehlers averages one more giveaway per hour than the next Jets' forward. Do you know what he also does? He is responsible for controlling a lot of our transition game, which, oddly enough, means that he has the puck a lot. Reading too much into a stat like giveaways can give you a horribly misguided idea of what a player is good at.

And @FonRiesen, what parameters did you use to find a stat which has Lowry 4th in giveaways? In my search of giveaways per 60 among all Jets with 250+ minutes at 5v5, he is dead last. Within those parameters, he is fourth in takeaways, though.

I was using Jimby's 300 minute minimum threshold, and Lowry was 4th "best" (as in least) in the league among all players. I hadn't seen at first that he was filtering Centres only. I think that was Naturalstattrick.com. Just questioning his numbers.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is it fewest shots against "per 60"? Because I couldn't find numbers to back up straight "shots against" on either site.

High hits/60 means you're spending a lot of time without the puck...
NaturalStatTrick SA/60 is on-ice shots-against. Trouba's #1 with a 21.49.

His high 57.64 CF% would suggest he's spending a lot of time with the puck.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
NaturalStatTrick SA/60 is on-ice shots-against. Trouba's #1 with a 21.49.

His high 57.64 CF% would suggest he's spending a lot of time with the puck.

Is it good or bad to be #1 in shots against? ;P

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Is it good or bad to be #1 in shots against? ;P
Well it was sorted ascending, so it's good to be at the top of that list. Fewest SA/60 in the league last season. That was his first year anywhere near the top of that list though, so I don't know if it was the Jets new philosophy that he took a particular affinity to, or if last season was an outlier. Eye test says he's pretty solid defensively...so maybe it was just the new team commitment to suppressing shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad