Prospect Info: Jets Select Patrik Laine 2nd Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Most 18 y/o are so far away from playing at this level. Laine is playing on the top line on a strong team against the world's best players. While he didn't look great he wasn't out of place. Most kids age are just hoping to get past the 1st round of cuts at the NHL camp.

Yep, it's crazy to think of that in his 1st game at NHL rink he was playing against Sedin& Backstrom lines, how many 18y could keep up against those guys?

McDavid wasn't dominating in his 1st game and he played against easier lines.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thanks. His passing really stands out. Almost always right on the tape, either forehand or backhand passing.

I often am very impressed by how well he passes and also receives them. But I'm not sure if this is due to him or if it's his team but he didn't seem to get to good situations offensively while having the puck almost ever. The one time he got a decent attacking opportunity he shot right at Barkov(But it almost was a great play). I just would like those scenarios to occur more frequently.

Well, he said that he didn't think any aspect of his game was any good and that he needs to improve a lot at everything and that "It's good that he played the worst game of the season right at the start".

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Already you can see how sky high the expectations are for the kid. No doubt it will get interesting around here on nights Laine doesn't pick up points once the Jets season starts.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Already you can see how sky high the expectations are for the kid. No doubt it will get interesting around here on nights Laine doesn't pick up points once the Jets season starts.

Honestly, I don't think the pressure here can come anywhere close to what he gets right now in Finland. His rise has been meteoric since December and that comes will allot of attention.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

May take pressure off of the other kids. Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Petan, Armia... Exciting times indeed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly, I don't think the pressure here can come anywhere close to what he gets right now in Finland. His rise has been meteoric since December and that comes will allot of attention.

I get the feeling around here the Finnish posters will try and calm the waters if he goes a couple games without scoring. It won't take long for "the sky is falling" section to get going if their is a rocky stretch.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
No

I get the feeling around here the Finnish posters will try and calm the waters if he goes a couple games without scoring. It won't take long for "the sky is falling" section to get going if their is a rocky stretch.

I don't find that at all. Jet fans back our young players. Always have. It's some of the vets that don't put out that get dumped on. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't find that at all. Jet fans back our young players. Always have. It's some of the vets that don't put out that get dumped on. [mod]

They do in the off season when hope springs eternal. Once the season starts and a rookie disappears for a game or 2 like they all do, the wolves come out pretty quickly.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

Check that wrist shot from the left near the boards @ 15.15 2nd period. That is, at least in my eyes, a ridiculously fast release time for a shot that hard. Shame that there is no sound.

I think Jets fans are usually rather calm and don't feed their prospects to dogs quickly. At least with Armia they've been very patient. A 2nd overall pick doesn't get that long of a leash though, naturally.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Check that wrist shot from the left near the boards @ 15.15 2nd period. That is, at least in my eyes, a ridiculously fast release time for a shot that hard. Shame that there is no sound.

I think Jets fans are usually rather calm and don't feed their prospects to dogs quickly. At least with Armia they've been very patient. A 2nd overall pick doesn't get that long of a leash though, naturally.

Were patient, we have been brain washed by Chevy, it’s a process if you don't know! :sarcasm:

:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
May take pressure off of the other kids. Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Petan, Armia... Exciting times indeed.

Yea I agree I think Kyke Connor will be the primary beneficiary in the sense that he has the high end skill, achieved allot in college, and would normally be "next up" as far as top prospect but the Laine Lottery win has pushed that all aside which will be nice for Connor. Same goes with any other rookie starting this season on the big club.

Going to be fun to watch unfold isn't it?

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Yea I agree I think Kyke Connor will be the primary beneficiary in the sense that he has the high end skill, achieved allot in college, and would normally be "next up" as far as top prospect but the Laine Lottery win has pushed that all aside which will be nice for Connor. Same goes with any other rookie starting this season on the big club.

The rookies will have to outplay the vets and convince management to even possibly get a serious conservation to determine if they even make the team, so I am praying for all of our rookies and we all know who they are.....

Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go

-----Chipman! Let Our Jets Soar!-----

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
It's incredible. And the goalie is seemingly struggling with the shot, he barely saw it coming from there and with that velocity.

I'm pretty confident he would've scored yesterday, if it wasnt for Barkov's ass.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's incredible. And the goalie is seemingly struggling with the shot, he barely saw it coming from there and with that velocity.

I'm pretty confident he would've scored yesterday, if it wasnt for Barkov's ass.

I liked the play involving Barkov's ass. Having the presence of mind to see that Barkov is coming to block vision, waiting for it, waiting for Barkov to go past and then shooting to the upper far corner. If he did it properly the goalie would have had no chance but he shot a bit too soon(Or at the correct timing but missed). Even though it failed, it's good to see that he goes for such plays.

It reminded me a lot of this goal:

Where it looks like he's slow to get the puck off his stick but in reality he waits for the guy to come block vision and get out of the way.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Where it looks like he's slow to get the puck off his stick but in reality he waits for the guy to come block vision and get out of the way.

Yup you can see it in the replay, when he already is in the shooting motion and has lifted his leg, he waits just a bit and rips it.

In this clip you see how deadly his shot is from that close, the goalie saw the shot but still wasn't able to save it. And he doesn't go all the way back to load it, it basically doesn't matter for Laine what position he's in. It's hard and it's accurate. It's from Patrik Laine's stick.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How possible is that Jets sends Laine to AHL.
And if that happen what are the odds Laine participates Finland in world juniors?

Pretty much zero chance he goes to the AHL to start the season

1) Maurice already has given several interviews talking about him in the NHL, how he intends to play him with good players and being patient with him.

2) He has already been assigned an NHL number (29) Every other player the Jets have drafted was assigned a number between 38 and 99 which they use in TC and upon callup until they make the NHL out of TC.

If he's struggling in the NHL perhaps the Jets consider releasing him for the tournament but I wouldn't count on it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Pretty much zero chance he goes to the AHL to start the season

1) Maurice already has given several interviews talking about him in the NHL, how he intends to play him with good players and being patient with him.

2) He has already been assigned an NHL number (29) Every other player the Jets have drafted was assigned a number between 38 and 99 which they use in TC and upon callup until they make the NHL out of TC.

If he's struggling in the NHL perhaps the Jets consider releasing him for the tournament but I wouldn't count on it.

OK thanks for information.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Oh, what an unfortunate typo.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yup you can see it in the replay, when he already is in the shooting motion and has lifted his leg, he waits just a bit and rips it.

In this clip you see how deadly his shot is from that close, the goalie saw the shot but still wasn't able to save it. And he doesn't go all the way back to load it, it basically doesn't matter for Laine what position he's in. It's hard and it's accurate. It's from Patrik Laine's stick.

One thing that stands out is that he always seems to have space to shoot. He is very good at creating that space when he needs it, by pulling back, or shifting left/right. Reminds me a bit of Gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad