Prospect Info: Jets select Johnathan Kovacevic #74 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
voted "like it" based solely on the interview I just heard on 1290. Sounds like a smart guy and I always like that.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
voted "like it" based solely on the interview I just heard on 1290. Sounds like a smart guy and I always like that.

Jets have done well drafting smart people in mid rounds. Lowry and Copp come to mind as success stories in rounds 3+.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know anything about this guy.

He put up solid numbers in his first year in the NCAA and has good size. For reference he scored similarly to what Poolman dis his first year as a dmen in college but he did it while being 3 years younger.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
The Draft Bible - The Black Book says: Johnathan is big 2 way defensemen with good skating ability for his size, and good hockey IQ, he was a freshmen this year for Merrimack College coming out of the CCHL. He put up 19 points as a freshman in a very tough Hockey East Conference. Johnathan has a powerful stride and can get to areas on the ice quickly to either make a play with the puck or to break up a play in the defensive zone. He has good vision and awareness on the ice with or without the puck. We wouldn’t say he is a pure offensive defensemen but he moves the puck really well, he has a good hard first pass out of the zone, he is good at knowing when to jump into the play and when to stay back if he has no support. Johnathan is also really good at slowing the game down with the puck on his stick and allowing the play to develop and very seldom puts the puck in bad areas. There isn’t a lot of panic in his game. He makes the simple play a lot during a game. He has a pro shot and is accurate at getting puck on net and creating 2nd chances for his teammates. He was used on the power play for Merrimack as they utilized his one timer. He probably has PP2 ceiling in the NHL. Johnathan defensive side of the game is good as well. He isn’t overly physical in his own zone, he doesn’t go chasing for the big hit. He has good positioning in the defensive zone, he always keeps his man in front of him, he very seldom loses 1 on 1 battles. He has an active stick in the defensive zone as well and he was good at breaking up passes. Johnathan had a very good freshman year in college this year. With his size and ability and the solid year he had, he put himself back on the map. We’ll use the late bloomer line and call him a solid prospect in this year draft.

He was rated 72nd overall

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Another pick I really like from the Jets. Hulking two-way d, powerful skater, huge point shot. Good at clearing up the high danger areas and has good dzone positioning. Also has good patience with the puck. He was a sleeper pick for me in the 3rd round, definition of a late bloomer imo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Another pick I really like from the Jets. Hulking two-way d, powerful skater, huge point shot. Good at clearing up the high danger areas and has good dzone positioning. Also has good patience with the puck. He was a sleeper pick for me in the 3rd round, definition of a late bloomer imo

His first year College stats are also very similar to Paryako.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Draft Bible - The Black Book says: Johnathan is big 2 way defensemen with good skating ability for his size, and good hockey IQ, he was a freshmen this year for Merrimack College coming out of the CCHL. He put up 19 points as a freshman in a very tough Hockey East Conference. Johnathan has a powerful stride and can get to areas on the ice quickly to either make a play with the puck or to break up a play in the defensive zone. He has good vision and awareness on the ice with or without the puck. We wouldn’t say he is a pure offensive defensemen but he moves the puck really well, he has a good hard first pass out of the zone, he is good at knowing when to jump into the play and when to stay back if he has no support. Johnathan is also really good at slowing the game down with the puck on his stick and allowing the play to develop and very seldom puts the puck in bad areas. There isn’t a lot of panic in his game. He makes the simple play a lot during a game. He has a pro shot and is accurate at getting puck on net and creating 2nd chances for his teammates. He was used on the power play for Merrimack as they utilized his one timer. He probably has PP2 ceiling in the NHL. Johnathan defensive side of the game is good as well. He isn’t overly physical in his own zone, he doesn’t go chasing for the big hit. He has good positioning in the defensive zone, he always keeps his man in front of him, he very seldom loses 1 on 1 battles. He has an active stick in the defensive zone as well and he was good at breaking up passes. Johnathan had a very good freshman year in college this year. With his size and ability and the solid year he had, he put himself back on the map. We’ll use the late bloomer line and call him a solid prospect in this year draft.

Sounds positive. Thanks for the scouting report.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I had him on a sleeper list. One of the best overagers available.

Big guy, can skate, can shoot, stays calm... could go pro after 1 more year in NCAA

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Draft Bible - The Black Book says: Johnathan is big 2 way defenseme with good skating ability for his size, and good hockey IQ, he was a freshmen this year for Merrimack College coming out of the CCHL. He put up 19 points as a freshman in a very tough Hockey East Conference. Johnathan has a powerful stride and can get to areas on the ice quickly to either make a play with the puck or to break up a play in the defensive zone. He has good vision and awareness on the ice with or without the puck. We wouldn’t say he is a pure offensive defensemen but he moves the puck really well, he has a good hard first pass out of the zone, he is good at knowing when to jump into the play and when to stay back if he has no support. Johnathan is also really good at slowing the game down with the puck on his stick and allowing the play to develop and very seldom puts the puck in bad areas. There isn’t a lot of panic in his game. He makes the simple play a lot during a game. He has a pro shot and is accurate at getting puck on net and creating 2nd chances for his teammates. He was used on the power play for Merrimack as they utilized his one timer. He probably has PP2 ceiling in the NHL. Johnathan defensive side of the game is good as well. He isn’t overly physical in his own zone, he doesn’t go chasing for the big hit. He has good positioning in the defensive zone, he always keeps his man in front of him, he very seldom loses 1 on 1 battles. He has an active stick in the defensive zone as well and he was good at breaking up passes. Johnathan had a very good freshman year in college this year. With his size and ability and the solid year he had, he put himself back on the map. We’ll use the late bloomer line and call him a solid prospect in this year draft.

Thanks for the report. Sounds good although I never like to see "for his size". That translates into 'slow'.

Once again I think that better picks were left on the table but I like this pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->