Proposal: Jets/Sabres

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I’m fine calling values equal, either way I don’t think they are far apart. Sabre fan made the offer so I assume he sees it as:

ROR > Little (the > might of been bigger but ROR contract is not good so it hurts his value a bit)

Sam < Ehlers (Ehlers has a decent long term deal for a 22 yr old guy who just scored 29 goals)

Ehlers would be great with Eichel and Little is a very solid 2C.

Jets do it to get a more offensive 2C & 3C, we can backfill Ehlers lose on wing albeit with a guy who isn’t as good with our winger depth.
When was the last time reinhart played center? I don't think I have see him there against the jets. Only on the wing. Hope he can be a checker on the Jets cause he won't be on the top lines.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
When was the last time reinhart played center? I don't think I have see him there against the jets. Only on the wing. Hope he can be a checker on the Jets cause he won't be on the top lines.

Nhl teams roll or should roll a top 9 with at most one checking line if that. Sam would easily fit into our top 9. Kid is 22 yrs old and coming off a 25/25 season playing on the 3rd line on the Sabres.......I’ll repeat on the Sabres.

I’ll let Buffalo fans comment on his ability at Center vs wing. Fair question

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Nhl teams roll or should roll a top 9 with at most one checking line if that. Sam would easily fit into our top 9. Kid is 22 yrs old and coming off a 25/25 season playing on the 3rd line on the Sabres.......I’ll repeat on the Sabres.

I’ll let Buffalo fans comment on his ability at Center vs wing. Fair question
He hasn't really gotten a fair shake at center. He was played there last year with trash and didn't produce (big surprise) was moved to wing with O'Reilly and went on his near PPG tear. Personally I want nothing to do with a trade of Ehlers and Little for O'Reilly and Reinhart. Stay the course. Keep your young player that may be on the cusp of breaking out and keep your in his prime 1st line center.

Reactions: Hunter368

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I've always thought that ROR is a bit of a dick that would screw his team over at the drop of a hat. I would think he wouldn't fit the character profile True North looks for in a player.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I’m fine calling values equal, either way I don’t think they are far apart. Sabre fan made the offer so I assume he sees it as:

ROR > Little (the > might of been bigger but ROR contract is not good so it hurts his value a bit)

Sam < Ehlers (Ehlers has a decent long term deal for a 22 yr old guy who just scored 29 goals)

Ehlers would be great with Eichel and Little is a very solid 2C.

Jets do it to get a more offensive 2C & 3C, we can backfill Ehlers lose on wing albeit with a guy who isn’t as good with our winger depth.

I think value is close. I don't know if Sabre fans would like it either. I agree Ehlers should be great on Eichel's wing. I find myself going back and forth on if it would actually make Buffalo better or not. On one hand, we clearly lose the better center. But we gain speed with Ehlers. What does O'Reilly do in a better situation? What if Reinhart keeps playing like he did the last half of the season? How many points could Ehlers get with Eichel? Is the gap between Ehlers and Reinhart worth O'Reilly for Little? My head is spinning lol.

Reactions: Hunter368

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
What????

From a fellow Jets fan. ROR & Sam are absolutely worth more then Ehlers. Come on man
I am betting you have never watched much of Reinhardt and going strictly by stats. I was a fan of his in juniors and have kept an eye on him when i can and never been impressed at all. Never seemed to drive the play by himself and would have to rely on others to make things happen. Maybe it was different when he was on his streak but I would never trade ehlers alone for both those guys either.

Reactions: Snowman

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I am betting you have never watched much of Reinhardt and going strictly by stats. I was a fan of his in juniors and have kept an eye on him when i can and never been impressed at all. Never seemed to drive the play by himself and would have to rely on others to make things happen. Maybe it was different when he was on his streak but I would never trade ehlers alone for both those guys either.

You don’t like Sam......no issue with that you’re entitled to your opinion.

ROR alone is worth more then Ehlers easily, not sure how anyone could think otherwise. ROR is a very good defensive centre on a bad team putting up 60+ points. ROR plays a more difficult position, much better defensively and puts on the same point totals as Ehlers on a much worse team. The only thing Ehlers has on ROR is five years younger.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You don’t like Sam......no issue with that you’re entitled to your opinion.

ROR alone is worth more then Ehlers easily, not sure how anyone could think otherwise. ROR is a very good defensive centre on a bad team putting up 60+ points. ROR plays a more difficult position, much better defensively and puts on the same point totals as Ehlers on a much worse team. The only thing Ehlers has on ROR is five years younger.
Sounds like you aren't giving little any credit at all and he is a throw in. Only thing ehlers has on for is younger, faster, 1.5 mill cheaper, best friends with laine..but the only thing for you is age. Interesting. Why would the Jets trade for a center when they could sign the center that they have control of (stasny) for 7.5...trade little for Reinhardt (bad trade) and give away ehlers for free....and still be at the same point as if they made this trade. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Reactions: Snowman

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Try to learn about a team's cap situation before advocating for stupid trades like this. There's no way on earth the Jets can take on ROR's contract with the players they need to sign this offseason. Players like Roslovic and Vesalainen on cost-controlled ELCs that can contribute next season have way more value to the Jets than large contracts do. No way they even discuss this trade.

I understand it's basically impossible for the jets to fit ROR into their team with their current cap situation, but this would be insanely good for the jets if they could pull this off. They would definitely discuss this trade, based on value alone, and would do what they could to make the cap work.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Sounds like you aren't giving little any credit at all and he is a throw in. Only thing ehlers has on for is younger, faster, 1.5 mill cheaper, best friends with laine..but the only thing for you is age. Interesting. Why would the Jets trade for a center when they could sign the center that they have control of (stasny) for 7.5...trade little for Reinhardt (bad trade) and give away ehlers for free....and still be at the same point as if they made this trade. Doesn't make any sense to me.

If you think I didn't give Little any credit, go look at my other posts before the first one you quoted.....I certainly did.

You can dislike the trade of Little & Ehlers for ROR & Sam......I have no issues with that I wouldn't even respond to a comment like that bc have all kinds of opinions. I quoted the post where it said ROR & Sam wouldn't return Ehlers alone.......that's just a silly homer statement by the one poster. Can't even take a comment like that serious. He didn't state he wouldn't do the trade (perhaps for some of the reasons you stated or Ehlers is his fav player etc).......he stated ROR & Sam wouldn't return Ehlers alone.....stating value. ROR & Sams value clearly exceeds Ehlers alone.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
ROR + Reinhart for Little + Ehlers is actually a really solid proposal.

I don't know if I should do it or not. Both Ehlers and ROR are top line players who are incredible in their own ways. We would miss the speed of Ehlers, but we would also have a deadly one-two punch at C.

I don't think Chevy would ever entertain trading Ehlers, but getting ROR back in a deal like this would make it that much more bearable.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
ROR + Reinhart for Little + Ehlers is actually a really solid proposal.

I don't know if I should do it or not. Both Ehlers and ROR are top line players who are incredible in their own ways. We would miss the speed of Ehlers, but we would also have a deadly one-two punch at C.

I don't think Chevy would ever entertain trading Ehlers, but getting ROR back in a deal like this would make it that much more bearable.

Agreed

I wouldn't go after and seek that trade either......but this is a thread bout us trading for ROR so I'm playing along.....so I made a some what realistic trade offer from both teams POV and something like that is the only way us ever taking on ROR and his contract. No chance we just give up just prospects for him, if we're taking ROR then Sabres are taking a big contract or two back. Would also consider:

ROR for Little + good prospect (likely a winger)

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Agreed

I wouldn't go after and seek that trade either......but this is a thread bout us trading for ROR so I'm playing along.....so I made a some what realistic trade offer from both teams POV and something like that is the only way us ever taking on ROR and his contract. No chance we just give up just prospects for him, if we're taking ROR then Sabres are taking a big contract or two back. Would also consider:

Lmfao.
Way to keep your HF rep Jets fans.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Agreed

Don't be ridiculous. You know that is a shit offer.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Don't be ridiculous. You know that is a **** offer.

Is it?

We’re paying for the difference between Little & ROR in the end.

ROR 27 yrs old vs Little 30 yrs old

Both are good two way centres, slight edge to ROR overall defensively.

Offensively ROR holds an edge over Little. Looking at the last three year only b/c they are the most relevant:

ROR has produced at rate of .786 per game.

Little has produced at rate of .667 per game.

Career wise the difference is also tiny bit in ROR favour. .648 vs .630 = difference of .018 per game.

Difference of .119 per game (last 3 years), not a massive difference.

Now add in the contracts, both have a bit questionable contracts. ROR is huge cap hit and is buy out proof and lock out proof.

So ROR owns a slight edge defensively & offensively and is three years younger but owns a slightly worse contract. So what is the difference worth? Vesalainen?

You know Finnish players very well, Vesalainen is doing great and clearly is a top 6 winger prospect.

Laine 2015 - 2016 in SM-Liiga 46 games 17 goals & 16 assists = 33 points

Vesalainen- 2017 in SM-Liiga 44 games 19 goals & 20 assists = 39 points

Not saying Vesalainen is Laine good, but he’s a very good winger prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogewow

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I've always thought that ROR is a bit of a dick that would screw his team over at the drop of a hat. I would think he wouldn't fit the character profile True North looks for in a player.

I love reading comments like this. Good for a laugh.

A poster that very likely has no idea what said player is like in real life commenting on their character and who they are as an individual.

It’s funny you mention “character profile” in regards to player selection, yet had Evander Kane (a player with much more evidence in causing internal issues) on your roster for quite some time.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Is it?

We’re paying for the difference between Little & ROR in the end.

ROR 27 yrs old vs Little 30 yrs old

Both are good two way centres, slight edge to ROR overall defensively.

Offensively ROR holds an edge over Little. Looking at the last three year only b/c they are the most relevant:

ROR has produced at rate of .786 per game.

Little has produced at rate of .667 per game.

Career wise the difference is also tiny bit in ROR favour. .648 vs .630 = difference of .018 per game.

Difference of .119 per game (last 3 years), not a massive difference.

Now add in the contracts, both have a bit questionable contracts. ROR is huge cap hit and is buy out proof and lock out proof.

So ROR owns a slight edge defensively & offensively and is three years younger but owns a slightly worse contract. So what is the difference worth? Vesalainen?

You know Finnish players very well, Vesalainen is doing great and clearly is a top 6 winger prospect.

Laine 2015 - 2016 in SM-Liiga 46 games 17 goals & 16 assists = 33 points

Vesalainen- 2017 in SM-Liiga 44 games 19 goals & 20 assists = 39 points

Not saying Vesalainen is Laine good, but he’s a very good winger prospect.
ROR's analytics suggest that he is much more than Little, who is a two-way 2C in his own right. He performed very well in terms of shot metrics with very little help in Buffalo, especially compared to his teammates. Combined with his long-term contract, he carries heaps of value. Vesalainen and Little are not close to ROR, even if both are good in their own right. Also, Little has a NMC.

It's a shame ROR makes too much for us to acquire him this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad