Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Sabres • Wed, Mar 30 @ 6:00 pm CT • SN & CJOB

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What way will the winds be blowing in Buffalo... ?

No predictions...

What I'm hoping is Hymie keeps up with his excellent defending and outlet passes...

That alone would make Me happy...

hymie.gif

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Schmidt talking about what it takes for a young player, especially a D man, to get comfortable and gain confidence. Jets have pretty much done the opposite with Ville, yanking him in and out.

Also loved the question from Hamilton? Basically asked why some players can f*** up and stay in the lineup, while others can't.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Schmidt talking about what it takes for a young player, especially a D man, to get comfortable and gain confidence. Jets have pretty much done the opposite with Ville, yanking him in and out.

Also loved the question from Hamilton? Basically asked why some players can f*** up and stay in the lineup, while others can't.
was the answer "preconceived notions and inherent biases?"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

How did Lowry answer that question? I also agree our coaches have f***ed up with Ville.

None

Feb 22, 2012

The follow-up question where Lowry basically admitted that they have preconceived ideas of what the player is before they actually see them in the NHL was good. He said that there's no expectation of Stanley to get PP time and no expectation that Heinola would get PK time.

Hard not to feel a little bit of schadenfreude hearing it because it confirmed what we've seen with this team and how they assess player roles. Once you're in a role you're locked into that role with the Jets.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that entire sequence of questions was Jeff Hamilton.

Reactions: Ducky10

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree you need your reps to get your game to a level where you are consistent and comfortable.
You will likely always see players get yanked in and out in their early years as they try to break in -

The young (but not so young) likely get more reps to determine if they have what it takes considering they are older and should be showing results at that point. The investment has been made - now it's time to determine (or begin to determine) if there is a payoff.

Stan got his shot - he was in long enough and had longer reps which you need to confirm where a player is at in his development even if the time line might be considered post early development. More time might be needed but I think the org, at this point, has a pretty good idea of what they have.

Ville likely now gets his shot - and based on his last game, he's on the right track. Now he needs to be given the same opportunity that Stan was provided.

So, IMO, it comes down to a couple of things that impact their opportunities -
Are they where they need to be in order to compete - mentally and physically.
Are they comfortable
Have they shored up on areas that they might have needed to work on.

The argument will always exist - soon or sooner.
When is the right time to move a player to the next level.
And the right time is for both the players development and the teams needs - but should be biased on player.

Ville looks like he has grown his game considerably since his last stint - is that due to how the org is managing him or was that going to happen anyway (meaning if they brought him in earlier)?
You'll get a ton of opinion on that -

Reactions: surixon and Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All I heard was blah, blah, blabbledy blah. It was nonsense.

Was that today's media session? I listened to yesterday's and didn't hear that question or response. It was funny hearing him blab about how they had to do something if players kept making the same mistakes. I mean Mark has been making them all year and he still is overplayed. No wonder this org is a mess, two tiered accountability never works and clearly the players aren't holding Mark accountable either.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Was that today's media session? I listened to yesterday's and didn't hear that question or response. It was funny hearing him blab about how they had to do something if players kept making the same mistakes. I mean Mark has been making them all year and he still is overplayed. No wonder this org is a mess, two tiered accountability never works and clearly the players aren't holding Mark accountable either.
Yesterday's, posted above.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Leaves fans are pissing themselves on their Pre-game thread against us about the COVID news .........

None

Feb 22, 2012

It's the same question you're referring to where Hamilton asked what a young player needs to do to earn the coach's trust. Lowry's response was about expectations and I think the implication from that answer is that Heinola has made mistakes that they've tried to correct and he continues to make the same mistakes.

I think it's a situation where the coaches are missing the forest for the trees, seeing an insignificant perceived mistake and extrapolating it into the player isn't ready. And then there's irony in ignoring the much more significant effect of playing a guy like Beaulieu for 24 games this season averaging about 10 minutes a night where the Jets just get shelled any time he was sent over the boards.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest