Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall Connor Hellebuyck.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
With the latest estimated return for Pav being Jan both Hs will get a good opportunity. Hutch showed he had what it takes to be a starter the year before last and pre ASB last year. Then choked when it looked like he had won the job. Now it is his to lose again. We will find out if he really has it or not. He may be a perfectly good career backup which is fine if that is where he belongs. If he is going to make it as a starter we will soon know.

I think Hutch is the first big question. Helle's opportunity will depend on how good Hutch is. If Hutch leaves the door open Helle may push his way in. If both are good, I mean really good Pav might be in trouble.

Edit:Lotta ifs there but I feel optimistic about H2.

Just me, but IMO no matter how well Helly plays, as soon as Pavs is back and ready to go, Helly will be sent back to the Moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just me, but IMO no matter how well Helly plays, as soon as Pavs is back and ready to go, Helly will be sent back to the Moose.

I think this is entirely dependent on how long Pavs is out. The longer the time frame the longer you can establish what you can offer consistently. I'd say we have an open book if Pavs is out until February.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If Helle plays lights-out, it's far more likely that Hutch will be on the trading block.

Depends on how Hutch plays. If they both play great I could see Helle finishing the year on the Moose with Pavelec eating a buyout next summer

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Depends on how Hutch plays. If they both play great I could see Helle finishing the year on the Moose with Pavelec eating a buyout next summer

I just could not see that happening. I think Hutch, due to his age and low cap hit, will fetch a return in a trade. Pavelec will not be touched by anyone, and in his final year, the Jets will be paying him $4.6 million I believe.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I just could not see that happening. I think Hutch, due to his age and low cap hit, will fetch a return in a trade. Pavelec will not be touched by anyone, and in his final year, the Jets will be paying him $4.6 million I believe.

If Hutch doesn't play well enough to take the job from Pav he won't have any trade value.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If Hutch doesn't play well enough to take the job from Pav he won't have any trade value.

He will have trade value. Not much, but considering he is 25, has a record of 28-15-6, with a 0.916%, there will be teams interested, especially if they throw him in a package deal.

Hellebuyck needs to start next game. It is a beginning of a new and exciting era for Jets fans.

19kiefer94

Jun 3, 2014
Winterpeg
If Helle goes on a tear, I can tell you right now there is no way you send him back. PoMo would loose his mind.

In our division you can lose a game even if you play outstanding, in our division if you goaltending is anything but stellar you WILL lose. The margin of error is so small in the central.

I dont think I can recall a team that brought up a goalie, had him play lights out, win a bunch of games for him and then send him down right after. Lets be honest, we dont have Rinne, or Lundquist, we have Pav's. Why on earth should they have loyalty to a goalie who has proven time and time again that he cant be a number 1?

See Colorado and Calvin Pickard. But i believe there was some contract issues in play there no? Not sure if same situation would arise here upon return of Pav, as we can't send pav/hutch down without waiver and surely will not keep 3 tendies around.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He will have trade value. Not much, but considering he is 25, has a record of 28-15-6, with a 0.916%, there will be teams interested, especially if they throw him in a package deal.

Hellebuyck needs to start next game. It is a beginning of a new and exciting era for Jets fans.

He won't have that record if he fails to play well enough to take the job from Pav.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Saw this from Wheeler in the FP:

But how much do you even know about Hellebuyck, Wheeler was asked. "Just a little bit. I’ve seen him in camp. I know he’s a big goalie, I know he moves well. And he’s one of our precious prospects," Wheeler grinned. "So we’ll try to treat him nice."

So, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but sometimes little joking jabs come from an underlying position of resentment. I wonder how much some of the old guard are on board with the "youth movement". I wonder how many think that an opportunity to contend this year was missed by not signing/re-signing some veteran talent.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

But how much do you even know about Hellebuyck, Wheeler was asked. "Just a little bit. I’ve seen him in camp. I know he’s a big goalie, I know he moves well. And he’s one of our precious prospects," Wheeler grinned. "So we’ll try to treat him nice."

So, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but sometimes little joking jabs come from an underlying position of resentment. I wonder how much some of the old guard are on board with the "youth movement". I wonder how many think that an opportunity to contend this year was missed by not signing/re-signing some veteran talent.

I imagine the vets are on board with the youth movement only so far as the youth don't hurt their chances to win.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Theres a few teams that would be nuts not to give up at least a 2nd for Hutch. I'm still quite high on him.

Having too many promising goaltenders is a nice luxury.....and we're not even talking about Comrie, and he might be the best of the bunch!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Boy, that is a pretty telling comment.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Maybe my social between the line reading is off but whats is this statement telling of?

That wheeler doesn't give a **** about prospects? That the teams upset about it? That their aware of media/obsession with them?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Take Wheeler's comments with a grain of salt. He's been joking around a lot in interviews lately.

re: getting smoked by Buff in practice:
Wheels: "He's been shooting at my head for 5 years now."

Q: What have you liked about Hutch both on and off the ice?
Wheels: "You're assuming that I like something that he's been doing?"

Outside of the jokes, Wheeler was pretty complimentary to both Helly and especially Hutch.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Take Wheeler's comments with a grain of salt. He's been joking around a lot in interviews lately.

re: getting smoked by Buff in practice:
Wheels: "He's been shooting at my head for 5 years now."

Q: What have you liked about Hutch both on and off the ice?
Wheels: "You're assuming that I like something that he's been doing?"

Outside of the jokes, Wheeler was pretty complimentary to both Helly and especially Hutch.

I haven't been following but wheelers my favey. Wheeler for prez!

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

That is a mighty stretch.
Kinda like "Kiera Knightley smiled at me once, she would totally leave her partner for me!" kinda stretch.

Possible? Yes, I ain't that hard on the eyes. Delusional, you betcha! Remotely probable? I like my chances with Lotto Max more.

Plus, I think my partner would not approve.

Wheels is probably the future captain and is not going to be talking **** about prospects...implied or otherwise.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I imagine the vets are on board with the youth movement only so far as the youth don't hurt their chances to win.

If the "core" vets are focused on winning, the "precious prospects" shouldn't be the worry. They should be more concerned about Stu, Peluso, Thorbs, Ladd and Pavs. Those are the guys that are the main problems. Copp and Ehlers have been bright spots compared to a bunch of the vets.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That is a mighty stretch.
Kinda like "Kiera Knightley smiled at me once, she would totally leave her partner for me!" kinda stretch.

Possible? Yes, I ain't that hard on the eyes. Delusional, you betcha! Remotely probable? I like my chances with Lotto Max more.

Plus, I think my partner would not approve.

Wheels is probably the future captain and is not going to be talking **** about prospects...implied or otherwise.

That's an absolutely terrible example. :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If the "core" vets are focused on winning, the "precious prospects" shouldn't be the worry. They should be more concerned about Stu, Peluso, Thorbs, Ladd and Pavs. Those are the guys that are the main problems. Copp and Ehlers have been bright spots compared to a bunch of the vets.

No kidding - they should certainly welcome with open arms any goalie who could be an upgrade on Pavelec. But it's all personal - it'd be tough to cheer for some rookie upstart to take the job of a good friend, and I think every one of those guys you listed are well liked. Yeah, everyone wants to win, but I think it's gotta be a tough pill to swallow sometimes.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Blake is the consummate pro, he isn't going to take shots at the organization, decisions made by management, or the direction of things via the media. No chance, in my opinion.

Hhane Snidy

Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Very true but the easiest target for their animosity would be the rookies.

It could create a awkward environment in the room. Rookies scared they are pissing people off.

Hope this isn't the case, but the writing is on the wall that mgmt are going with the youth movement. Leadership group could be really po'd with mgmt. The sociology could play a bigger part. Or I'm completely out to lunch and they all get along and are all working together towards a common goal. (Of throwing Ehlers tracksuit in a cold shower:)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Does he see the net for the first time in the afternoon 'home game' in St Paul?

Or saturday in Demver?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

Lol. I'm sure Wheels has no issue with Helle. Why would he? Hockey players joke around from time to time too. Just sounded like him having some fun with the media and fans because we always talk about our "precious prospects"

Or maybe Helle robbed Wheeler one to many times that day. Who knows

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Does he see the net for the first time in the afternoon 'home game' in St Paul?

Or saturday in Demver?

My guess, and hope, is Saturday. I'll be away Friday night and home Saturday being the main reason :laugh:

The Avs might be a bit of a lighter game for him as well, but obviously you never know.

Might depend on Hutch tonight. He has a good game? Then he starts Friday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad