Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall Connor Hellebuyck.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I would keep Hutch - not really a contest.

Although, I do agree that it's undecided as to what the team would do.

Good for you! But the question is, what are the Jets going to do. Not you, not us, not truck or Gm0ney.

If that's the question, they're going to keep Pavs and everyone thinking differently should really re evaluate his abilities to predict what this management will do based on the last couple of years.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Yeah as has been said, this should be more concerning to Hutch than Pav. If Helle is as good as advertised, Hutch will be going....

the problem is that Hutchinson literally has zero trade value.
you might be able to trade him closer to the deadline for a 3rd or 4th round pick. now? teams would just wait for him to go on waivers, and then you wonder why someone would pick him up (unless he's an upgrade over their journeyman back-up. and i haven't looked at NHL back-ups as of late, but i get the feeling that we're trending towards younger backups versus the journeymen back-up)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good for you! But the question is, what are the Jets going to do. Not you, not us, not truck or Gm0ney.

If that's the question, they're going to keep Pavs and everyone thinking differently should really re evaluate his abilities to predict what this management will do based on the last couple of years.

Its going to depend on a lot of things starting with how long Pav is out. How well does Hutch play during that time? Hutch taking over as the starter is more likely right now than Helle doing it. How well does Helle play in his window of opportunity?

What's most likely right now is that Helle gets a couple of starts, plays about as well as expected and then goes back to the farm when Pav returns. How much and how well Helle plays during this stint will affect decisions being made for next year. There are a lot of permutations.

I think the best thing that could happen is that all 3 play well but Pav plays a little less well than the other 2. Hutch takes over as number 1 and doesn't drop the ball this time. A second consecutive year of decent play is just enough to make Pav trade-able and we see the back of him in the off-season. We go with Hutch/Helle next year and get good goaltending from both. Who cares which is labeled #1?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Its going to depend on a lot of things starting with how long Pav is out. How well does Hutch play during that time? Hutch taking over as the starter is more likely right now than Helle doing it. How well does Helle play in his window of opportunity?

What's most likely right now is that Helle gets a couple of starts, plays about as well as expected and then goes back to the farm when Pav returns. How much and how well Helle plays during this stint will affect decisions being made for next year. There are a lot of permutations.

I think the best thing that could happen is that all 3 play well but Pav plays a little less well than the other 2. Hutch takes over as number 1 and doesn't drop the ball this time. A second consecutive year of decent play is just enough to make Pav trade-able and we see the back of him in the off-season. We go with Hutch/Helle next year and get good goaltending from both. Who cares which is labeled #1?

I really do envision this happening. I'm really hoping for Helle to play up to par -- as in .910-.925 good. Hutch seems to be coming around & has to view this as his big opportunity as well (I think he'll do fine with this opportunity).

Regardless of how he does, Helle will get sent back when Pavs comes back. Hopefully Pavs can get his average back to ~.910 or better once he comes back. At that point, yep he's the one that will be leaving via trade in the offseason or at the TD.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014

So did you read the second half of my post?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I really do envision this happening. I'm really hoping for Helle to play up to par -- as in .910-.925 good. Hutch seems to be coming around & has to view this as his big opportunity as well (I think he'll do fine with this opportunity).

Regardless of how he does, Helle will get sent back when Pavs comes back. Hopefully Pavs can get his average back to ~.910 or better once he comes back. At that point, yep he's the one that will be leaving via trade in the offseason or at the TD.

If Helle goes on a tear, I can tell you right now there is no way you send him back. PoMo would loose his mind.

In our division you can lose a game even if you play outstanding, in our division if you goaltending is anything but stellar you WILL lose. The margin of error is so small in the central.

I dont think I can recall a team that brought up a goalie, had him play lights out, win a bunch of games for him and then send him down right after. Lets be honest, we dont have Rinne, or Lundquist, we have Pav's. Why on earth should they have loyalty to a goalie who has proven time and time again that he cant be a number 1?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If Helle goes on a tear, I can tell you right now there is no way you send him back. PoMo would loose his mind.

In our division you can lose a game even if you play outstanding, in our division if you goaltending is anything but stellar you WILL lose. The margin of error is so small in the central.

I dont think I can recall a team that brought up a goalie, had him play lights out, win a bunch of games for him and then send him down right after. Lets be honest, we dont have Rinne, or Lundquist, we have Pav's. Why on earth should they have loyalty to a goalie who has proven time and time again that he cant be a number 1?

I'm not saying that sending him down is what they SHOULD do, I'm saying that if H & H both play well, that is most certainly what they will do.

As much as we'd like to see Pavs on the farm in that situation, it won't happen except maybe for a couple games of conditioning.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

This is only an issue if Hutch plays poorly and Hellebuyck gets the opportunity to come in and steal the show - and then actually steals the show.

If pre-ASB Hutch shows up for the next month or so, Hellebuyck never gets a shot and will be sent down.

If Hutch plays poorly enough to give Hellebuyck an opportunity, then the Jets have some justification for moving him (trade or waive).

But if Hellebuyck doesn't blow our socks off during the opportunity given to him, then he gets sent back down.

I have a feeling that waiving/trading Pavelec is the least likely scenario.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

This is along the lines of what I think may happen. I don't think Helle will get enough games in to force the issue this year but if he shows well Jets management will move a goalie out this summer to make room. I hope Hutch seizes the opportunity and persuades management to move out Pavs this summer.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Will Hellebuyck have to through waivers once (if) he gets sent back down when Pav returns? Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't read the whole thread.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Will Hellebuyck have to through waivers once (if) he gets sent back down when Pav returns? Sorry if this has been discussed, I haven't read the whole thread.

No sir once he's off his entry level contract he will be exposed to waivers

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No sir once he's off his entry level contract he will be exposed to waivers

Not true. ELC's are a good shorthand for when skaters become waiver eligible (but not always 100% accurate) but goalies have more time than skaters before they become waiver eligible. NHL gp plays a factor as well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

With the latest estimated return for Pav being Jan both Hs will get a good opportunity. Hutch showed he had what it takes to be a starter the year before last and pre ASB last year. Then choked when it looked like he had won the job. Now it is his to lose again. We will find out if he really has it or not. He may be a perfectly good career backup which is fine if that is where he belongs. If he is going to make it as a starter we will soon know.

I think Hutch is the first big question. Helle's opportunity will depend on how good Hutch is. If Hutch leaves the door open Helle may push his way in. If both are good, I mean really good Pav might be in trouble.

Edit:Lotta ifs there but I feel optimistic about H2.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Waiver eligibility has nothing to do with whether a player is on their ELC or not.

He was 20 yrs 11 months old when he signed his contract. He will be waiver exempt for next year as well unless he somehow plays 80 nhl regular season and playoff games before the start of next season. That will run out his ELC.

Goalies signed at 20 are exempt for 4 years or 80 games

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
He was 20 yrs 11 months old when he signed his contract. He will be waiver exempt for next year as well unless he somehow plays 80 nhl regular season and playoff games before the start of next season. That will run out his ELC.

Goalies signed at 20 are exempt for 4 years or 80 games

So Connor gets a game and a shoutout plays as no 1 for the rest of the season so by the time were in the Stanley Cup Final he might just hit 80. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is along the lines of what I think may happen. I don't think Helle will get enough games in to force the issue this year but if he shows well Jets management will move a goalie out this summer to make room. I hope Hutch seizes the opportunity and persuades management to move out Pavs this summer.

The longer estimate for Pav's recovery means Helle will get more games than otherwise. That will just make decisions harder when the time comes assuming that Helle plays somewhere close to the astronomical expectations we have for him. The chance of him actually meeting expectations are almost nil. :laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

The real question is...

What is the smartest possible move? That should be what we expect of management.

They understand the risk in waiving Hutch. They won't throw him away all willy nilly and unless he falters he will get most of the starts here.

It will take Helle seriously out playing Hutch to even start a conversation and that isn't guaranteedregardless of who is the better goalie.

The cap issues are also a non-factor here IMO.

Waiving Pav and keeping Hutch & Helle would cost the team about 500k. That isn't a huge issue given their cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad