Recalled/Assigned: Jets recall Brian Strait. Again.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don't recall seeing Strait play. Looking forward to the mayhem tomorrow!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In the Moose game I took in Strait was the worst player on the ice and it wasn't even close!:help:

Pretty sad Strait is the number 2 DA-man call up from the Moose, and why does Chevy still have a job as a GM again!:help:

Strait is number #10 on the Jets depth chart.

My order:

1. Trouba
2. Morressey
3. Buff
4. Toby
5. Myers
6. Postma
7. Chiarot
8. Stu
9. Melchiori
10. Strait

I'm curious what team you believe has a better player at #10? No one who slots 2 spots behind Stu is NHL quality, but then again no team has NHL quality stored that far down their depth chart on their farm. Unless the are prospects on ELC's and here is where the concern lies. Who cares if a crappy vet on an expiring contract gets called up? What we should all care about is that the D prospects we do have available haven't developed to the point where we can't even play them in garbage time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

My order:

1. Trouba
2. Morressey
3. Buff
4. Toby
5. Myers
6. Postma
7. Chiarot
8. Stu
9. Melchiori
10. Strait

I'm curious what team you believe has a better player at #10? No one who slots 2 spots behind Stu is NHL quality, but then again no team has NHL quality stored that far down their depth chart on their farm. Unless the are prospects on ELC's and here is where the concern lies. Who cares if a crappy vet on an expiring contract gets called up? What we should all care about is that the D prospects we do have available haven't developed to the point where we can't even play them in garbage time.

Well thanks for the post quantifying my position on a real lack of D depth, six seasons in and all you have to call up is Brian friggin Strait!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Poolman and Niku (If he comes over) will hopefully shore up our depth a bit. I'd try to go with 8 dmen on the team again. Chariot and xxx sit in the PB.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

My order:

1. Trouba
2. Morressey
3. Buff
4. Toby
5. Myers
6. Postma
7. Chiarot
8. Stu
9. Melchiori
10. Strait

Yes look at that list, 6 guys came from the Thrashers, one was acquired for a Thrasher pick, and one is a UFA signing. Two good ones developed by us in 6 years. 3 on the farm, RHD, draft picks of ours, none get a look. For me it is Kostalek I want to see.

Meanwhile at forward we have Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp, Petan all drafted on the team, Connor, Roslovic, Lemieux, DeLeo as depth. See the iniquity?

Drafting BPA works only if you turn some into assets.

Defensive depth? Montreal is 11-12 deep, Anaheim is at least 10, Pittsburgh 10-11, Washington has Bowey as a call up. Nobody except Buffalo or Detroit, who are developing Hicketts just fine, is as depth poor on defense as us.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well thanks for the post quantifying my position on a real lack of D depth, six seasons in and all you have to call up is Brian friggin Strait!

Enstrom
Trouba
Myers

3 of our top 5 are out. I think we need an upgrade at LHD going forward, but injuries like this would be difficult for any team to address - you're simply not going to have a spare top 6 defenseman lying around after you've hit 3 injuries in the top 5/6.

Strait was still a poor signing though - I'll give you that.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes look at that list, 6 guys came from the Thrashers, one was acquired for a Thrasher pick, and one is a UFA signing. Two good ones developed by us in 6 years. 3 on the farm, RHD, draft picks of ours, none get a look. For me it is Kostalek I want to see.

Meanwhile at forward we have Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Lowry, Copp, Petan all drafted on the team, Connor, Roslovic, Lemieux, DeLeo as depth. See the iniquity?

Drafting BPA works only if you turn some into assets.

Defensive depth? Montreal is 11-12 deep, Anaheim is at least 10, Pittsburgh 10-11, Washington has Bowey as a call up. Nobody except Buffalo or Detroit, who are developing Hicketts just fine, is as depth poor on defense as us.

Just went and looked at today's opponent. Seemed like a good place to start. They have the reputation of having a strong, deep D. After their top 5 they have Olofsson who has shown some potential in the AHL but nothing in the NHL so far to fill out their top 6. Then they have Folin and Nate Prosser who are similar to Stu/Melch/Strait. Their farm has nothing better than what we have, maybe less.

Many teams have much better 8-12 D depth than we do but others are just as bad.

That doesn't excuse the Strait signing. It was simply pathetic. And that pretty much describes our later round drafting of D too unless Niku and Green come through. If that happens it is actually pretty good - for the late rounds. We should have picked 2-3 more in earlier rounds.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Yeah, he was pretty good today. First game I recalled seeing him play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He was easily our 3rd best D today and it wasn't even close. Melchiori and Stuart were much worse and thought he was better than Chiarot

Chiarot and Strait were a toss up, but agreed Strait was better than Melchiori and way better than Stu.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Im throughly impressed at just how bad Stu has become. Strait made Stu look bad, and im not sure wether we should laugh or cry at that one.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Strait was terrible!
Just others were more terrible.

Jets out attempted 11-29 with Strait on the ice. That's a 27.5% Corsi!

Stuart was 13% though, with a +3,-18...

Lol, that's pretty much what I saw, third worst D did not mean he was anywhere near good. I thought he was awful.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Stu really sucked today.

Strait was fine. Good for him to notch an NHL point this season.

Speaking of Stuart, did you know his NHL contract is front-loaded? That means that next year, the Jets will only be paying him $1.75 million. If we buyout his contract, how much would we retain on the books? Is it 2/3 of $1.75 million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad