Confirmed with Link: Jets re-sign Connor Hellebuyck on a six-year, $37M contract ($6.167M AAV).

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
MAF is aging and has a career .913 save percentage. Those are below average starter numbers. No idea why people think signing him for 7 million is a smart investment. Also his career save percentage in the playoffs is .911. It's funny that people who are bashing Helle for a limited track record are then turning around and praising MAF who has very few years where he has actually been good in the playoffs. Go back a couple of years and see how happy pens fans where with him in the playoffs. He has stunk up the joint numerous times there. Give me Helle who is tracking as an above league average starting goalie over the over hyped below average MAF.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Fleury, who dominated Helle in the conference final signed a 3 year deal at 7 mill. Now that is a smart contract. Chevy couldnt have pulled off something similar?
Once again Chevy is taking on an enormous risk for no real reason other than to save maybe 500k - 1 mill in cap space.
Fleury is 33, why would they want to sign him until he's 39?...Hellebuyck is 25 so this means we have him in his prime.

Reactions: HannuJ

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Fleury, who dominated Helle in the conference final signed a 3 year deal at 7 mill. Now that is a smart contract. Chevy couldnt have pulled off something similar?
Once again Chevy is taking on an enormous risk for no real reason other than to save maybe 500k - 1 mill in cap space.
Do you really mean to say that you would have liked Chevy to offer Hellebuyck a contract where he becomes a UFA almost as soon as possible? Do you realize what absolutely catastrophic management that would be?

It's also interesting that you seemingly ignore the 8.5 year age gap between the two goalies, and the fact that Fleury actually went ahead and completely shat the bed against the Caps. He had a sub .890 sv% in every single game that series.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with those that feel this is an awful lot of term and money. Helle has had one good year and was bad enough the previous year that Mason was acquired. This is risky.

If 2017/18 Helle is the one we get it’s a great deal. If we get 2016/17 Helle we’re in trouble.

On the other hand I’m not sure Chevy has a lot of alternative options. The whole Vezina finalist thing means he had to pay up and there aren’t a lot of other goalies available.
Kind of echos my thoughts. We absolutely needed to sign Helly but I was hoping for a little less AAV and maybe a touch less term. But this contract is not unreasonable and may look really good a couple years from now.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
there are a plethora of replies that are showing how wrong your post is. i just wanted to come by to say hello.

Reactions: Duke749 and Jedub

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I understand why the contract was done, and I'm not upset about it, BUT offering that term and $$ for a guy with only one year of high level, consistent play is VERY risky. NHL history is littered with goalies that strung together one or two great seasons but couldn't maintain that level.

Hellebuyck at least has demonstrated excellence at previous levels, but still a little risky.

Reactions: ERYX

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I understand why the contract was done, and I'm not upset about it, BUT offering that term and $$ for a guy with only one year of high level, consistent play is VERY risky. NHL history is littered with goalies that strung together one or two great seasons but couldn't maintain that level.

Hellebuyck at least has demonstrated excellence at previous levels, but still a little risky.

There really was no better option though. All contracts have some degree of risk, managing it is part of the GM's job. Chevy did a good job of that in this case imo.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There really was no better option though. All contracts have some degree of risk, managing it is part of the GM's job. Chevy did a good job of that in this case imo.

I'm not hating it - or saying that he made the wrong move. I'm just saying there is significant risk there - and Chevy has laid a lot of goalie eggs in his career - probably his weakest area.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Hellebuyck's 2 seasons as starter rank 1st and 3rd in SV% and 1st and 2nd in Win%. Even his bad year was good by Jets 2.0 standards.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
there are a plethora of replies that are showing how wrong your post is. i just wanted to come by to say hello.

I'm sorry but 1 good season (with a disappointing performance against vegas) does not justify a 6 year commitment. Just remember how ugly Pavs last few years were with the Jets and how it stifled the Jets playoff chances. Helle earned a new contract no doubt, but lets not forget he was in a contract year...highly motivated. Helle is not a goaltending prodigy. He is not in the same category as Price or Lundqvist in their primes. Those types of goalies you can make a 6 year commitment to with a high degree of confidence. If Helle had shown multiple seasons of elite goaltending it would be justified. But 1 year? Lets not forget Mason was brought in last year to be the starter. Jets had little faith in Helle.....and to reverse all of that based on 1 season of play is being overly optimistic.
3-4 years max. Even if it means having to sign him again in his potential prime with a raise its better than this enormous gamble.
Chevy loves to gamble with goalies.... the one position you should never gamble with.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not hating it - or saying that he made the wrong move. I'm just saying there is significant risk there - and Chevy has laid a lot of goalie eggs in his career - probably his weakest area.
Other than Pavelec I'm not sure I'd agree with that, Mason was expensive but only a 2 year deal.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm sorry but 1 good season (with a disappointing performance against vegas) does not justify a 6 year commitment. Just remember how ugly Pavs last few years were with the Jets and how it stifled the Jets playoff chances. Helle earned a new contract no doubt, but lets not forget he was in a contract year...highly motivated. Helle is not a goaltending prodigy. He is not in the same category as Price or Lundqvist in their primes. Those types of goalies you can make a 6 year commitment to with a high degree of confidence. If Helle had shown multiple seasons of elite goaltending it would be justified. But 1 year? Lets not forget Mason was brought in last year to be the starter. Jets had little faith in Helle.....and to reverse all of that based on 1 season of play is being overly optimistic.
3-4 years max. Even if it means having to sign him again in his potential prime with a raise its better than this enormous gamble.
Chevy loves to gamble with goalies.... the one position you should never gamble with.

You are not an objective poster...or you're really just missing the point.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm sorry but 1 good season (with a disappointing performance against vegas) does not justify a 6 year commitment. 1. Just remember how ugly Pavs last few years were with the Jets and how it stifled the Jets playoff chances. Helle earned a new contract no doubt, but lets not forget he was in a contract year...highly motivated. 2. Helle is not a goaltending prodigy. 3. He is not in the same category as Price or Lundqvist in their primes. Those types of goalies you can make a 6 year commitment to with a high degree of confidence. 4. If Helle had shown multiple seasons of elite goaltending it would be justified. But 1 year? Lets not forget Mason was brought in last year to be the starter. 5. Jets had little faith in Helle.....and to reverse all of that based on 1 season of play is being overly optimistic.
6-7. 3-4 years max. Even if it means having to sign him again in his potential prime with a raise its better than this enormous gamble.

1. Pavelec had one good playoff run in the AHL and got a contract based largely on that. Apart from that, he had been an unimpressive goalie at all levels. Hellebuyck has been great at all levels he has played at, now including a Vezina finalist position in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

2. Hellebuyck is arguably the best goalie in NCAA history. He has been elite at every level he has played at, now including a Vezina finalist position in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

3. Lundqvist's prime years started when he was 27. Price's prime years started when he was 26. Hellebuyck is currently 25.

4. Hellebuyck is arguably the best goalie in NCAA history. He has been elite at every level he has played at. He has 1 below average season at any level since his draft year.

5. Hellebuyck was offered a one-year show-me contract. He showed them by becoming a Vezina finalist in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

6. By signing Hellebuyck to a three-year contract, Chevy would have made it possible for Hellebuyck to leave the team for free agency at 28. Meaning if he had performed very well, it would have been in his best interest to either leave Winnipeg, which would have left us in a situation where we don't have a reliable starting goalie, or...

7. Sign a back-breaking contract with us because we are relying on his elite goaltending, similarly to what happened with Price and Lundqvist. That would be an enormous gamble. Signing Hellebuyck to what is the 16th highest salary/cap ratio at the time of signing of goalies in the league is comparably not a very big gamble.

I think that about covers it. Yes, there is risk in this contract. There is inherent risk in any goalie contract.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
1. Pavelec had one good playoff run in the AHL and got a contract based largely on that. Apart from that, he had been an unimpressive goalie at all levels. Hellebuyck has been great at all levels he has played at, now including a Vezina finalist position in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

2. Hellebuyck is arguably the best goalie in NCAA history. He has been elite at every level he has played at, now including a Vezina finalist position in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

3. Lundqvist's prime years started when he was 27. Price's prime years started when he was 26. Hellebuyck is currently 25.

4. Hellebuyck is arguably the best goalie in NCAA history. He has been elite at every level he has played at. He has 1 below average season at any level since his draft year.

5. Hellebuyck was offered a one-year show-me contract. He showed them by becoming a Vezina finalist in his second year as a starter in the NHL.

6. By signing Hellebuyck to a three-year contract, Chevy would have made it possible for Hellebuyck to leave the team for free agency at 28. Meaning if he had performed very well, it would have been in his best interest to either leave Winnipeg, which would have left us in a situation where we don't have a reliable starting goalie, or...

7. Sign a back-breaking contract with us because we are relying on his elite goaltending, similarly to what happened with Price and Lundqvist. That would be an enormous gamble. Signing Hellebuyck to what is the 16th highest salary/cap ratio at the time of signing of goalies in the league is comparably not a very big gamble.

I think that about covers it. Yes, there is risk in this contract. There is inherent risk in any goalie contract.
giphy.webp

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011

1. quit making it sound like Helle was some sort of goalie prodigy. Helle was a 5th round draft pick for a reason. When he made the jump from minor to the pros he struggled greatly and was forced to completely change his game last year. His NCAA play is irrelevant.
2.Lundqvist and price didnt get contracts making them among the highest paid goalies until they proved it for multiple seasons. In fact, how many top tier goalies (who werent a flash in the pan) received both a high salary and long terms after just 1 good season? It rarely, if ever, happens.

I dont know if this was allowed by cba rules but last year the jets should have given helle a 2 year deal with the second year being a team option. Helles stock was extremely low last year after a terrible year...should have forced him into a 2nd year team option. Jets exercise that option this year and if he has another great year then sign him to a huge contract.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1. quit making it sound like Helle was some sort of goalie prodigy. Helle was a 5th round draft pick for a reason. When he made the jump from minor to the pros he struggled greatly and was forced to completely change his game last year. His NCAA play is irrelevant.
2.Lundqvist and price didnt get contracts making them among the highest paid goalies until they proved it for multiple seasons. In fact, how many top tier goalies (who werent a flash in the pan) received both a high salary and long terms after just 1 good season? It rarely, if ever, happens.

I dont know if this was allowed by cba rules but last year the jets should have given helle a 2 year deal with the second year being a team option. Helles stock was extremely low last year after a terrible year...should have forced him into a 2nd year team option. Jets exercise that option this year and if he has another great year then sign him to a huge contract.
Actually both Price and Lundqvist signed their previous deals at around Helly's age. Price was 25 y/0 and got 6 X $6.5 M after 2 seasons as an established starter. Lungvist was also 25 y/0 and signed a 6 X $6.875 M deal after 3 seasons as a starter. Ideally we have another season of Helly as a proven starter before making a decision but then based on % of cap you are then looking at something over $7 M. Helly's deal was up now so a decision had to be made. Personally I'm happy we got him where we did as IMO he is the real deal and will soon be seen among the league's best.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I'm going to dig into this as well. I'm just gonna eat dinner first.

Until then, you might want to look into draft positions of some high end goalies, such as the two best goalies in NHL history, and the current generation's best goalie. You'll also want to look up how much Price and Lundqvist earned when they hit their prime years (2009 and 2012 respectively). Then look up how much those cap hits were as a percentage of the cap back then.

If you edit your post accordingly you're saving both of us some time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Lundqvist was a 7th round draft pick for a reason as well. 5 > 7. Hellebuyck > Lundquist. Q.E.D.

Reactions: Romang67

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Lundqvist was a 7th round draft pick for a reason as well. 5 > 7. Hellebuyck > Lundquist. Q.E.D.
Lundqvist had 2 great seasons before he got his big contract. I highly doubt the rangers would have given him that contract after just 1 good year.

Chevy should have never allowed the team to be put in this difficult scenario. 1 year deal (without team option for year2) has forced the jets into taking a huge risk. Considering Mason was signed for multiple years as the starter the Jets should have given Helle a 2 year deal to prove himself or just be a decent backup. Instead now the Jets are at his mercy for 6 seasons with just 1 year of a track record as a legit starter.

Chevy blew it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lundqvist had 2 great seasons before he got his big contract. I highly doubt the rangers would have given him that contract after just 1 good year.

Chevy should have never allowed the team to be put in this difficult scenario. 1 year deal (without team option for year2) has forced the jets into taking a huge risk. Considering Mason was signed for multiple years as the starter the Jets should have given Helle a 2 year deal to prove himself or just be a decent backup. Instead now the Jets are at his mercy for 6 seasons with just 1 year of a track record as a legit starter.

Chevy blew it.
There is no such thing as a team or player option under the NHL CBA.

Reactions: Romang67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->