Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Have we ever lost a player like this? Smith has been at development camps so why wouldn't just sign when he wants to come out? He would actually get a lot of looks over the next couple of years as the roster turns over

Yeah the Jets have a reputation among agents of really developing their players. Inthinknthat is one big reason why we are able to sign the prospects we want to sign. The players know they are being put in a great environment to further their careers even if it's notong term on the Jets.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah the Jets have a reputation among agents of really developing their players. Inthinknthat is one big reason why we are able to sign the prospects we want to sign. The players know they are being put in a great environment to further their careers even if it's notong term on the Jets.
I'm not sure we have that much different a rep from several organizations anymore... we have traded away a lot of prospects during our window - we're not quite as committed to draft develop as we were say 4 years ago

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm not sure we have that much different a rep from several organizations anymore... we have traded away a lot of prospects during our window - we're not quite as committed to draft develop as we were say 4 years ago

Umm. Eric Foley and who else ? What prospects have they traded besides Foley?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Have we ever lost a player like this? Smith has been at development camps so why wouldn't just sign when he wants to come out? He would actually get a lot of looks over the next couple of years as the roster turns over
Gotta think Jets are a pretty safe bet with their record of prospect development. Seems to be the organizations strength.

harkins is actually turning into a really good case of prospect development. Jets even sent him to the ECHL for a year or two and many on here Had him written off.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Gotta think Jets are a pretty safe bet with their record of prospect development. Seems to be the organizations strength.

harkins is actually turning into a really good case of prospect development. Jets even sent him to the ECHL for a year or two and many on here Had him written off.
Harkins only spent six games in the ECHL but I think I remember him saying it really helped him a lot to be given a huge role and excel at it. Was a much better player when he returned to the Moose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That came from last year's player agent poll. It also isn't about if we trade them or not, it's that we take the time and put a lot of resources into properly developing the prospects that we have. An agent doesn't care if the prospect stays long term with the org that develops them, they care that the org helps enable their client to have as long a career as possible. Some orgs don't spend much on player development and it shows. Do you think agents are happy to have their kids drafted to the Buffalo Sabers who seemingly stall the development of many a high end prospect?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That came from last year's player agent poll. It also isn't about if we trade them or not, it's that we take the time and put a lot of resources into properly developing the prospects that we have. An agent doesn't care if the prospect stays long term with the org that develops them, they care that the org helps enable their client to have as long a career as possible. Some orgs don't spend much on player development and it shows. Do you think agents are happy to have their kids drafted to the Buffalo Sabers who seemingly stall the development of many a high end prospect?
I wonder what agents think of teams that rush their prospects to the NHL (like how the Thrashers used to do).

On one hand it gets their client into the NHL quickly and to a bigger contract faster, but on the other hand it can be very damaging to a player’s growth if they aren’t ready and ultimately cost them millions if they never develop.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder what agents think of teams that rush their prospects to the NHL (like how the Thrashers used to do).

On one hand it gets their client into the NHL quickly and to a bigger contract faster, but on the other hand it can be very damaging to a player’s growth if they aren’t ready and ultimately cost them millions if they never develop.

I think most agents would prefer the long game as the payout is almost assuredly more. Development is a key part of success for probably 90 plus % of the prospects out there. Sure you have your McDavid's of the world that are talented to succeed no matter the environment but how about the other number 1 picks Edmonton drafted?

Would RNH have been better served with a careful development plan in which he was allowed to physically develop before playing. RNH is a good player and he's made a good amount on his career but imo he fell short of expectations I part due to getting rushed Nad injured a lot as a teenager. It probably has cost him 10 to 15 minion on his career. Yakupov is out of the league and Hall has had a very inconsistent career. Development matters a lot to career earning potential.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It was more of trading away top picks at the trade deadline, like 3 yesrs in a row.
So do you even pay attention to what actually is happening? We traded away our 1st round picks 2 times, but the 2nd time we reacquired the same pick in the Trouba trade. On 2 occasions we acquired another teams 1st round pick. Out of their 10 year existence the Jets 2.0 have only once not had a 1st round pick once and that was in 2018. On 2 occasions we have had 2 1st round picks those being in 2015 and 2016.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So do you even pay attention to what actually is happening? We traded away our 1st round picks 2 times, but the 2nd time we reacquired the same pick in the Trouba trade. On 2 occasions we acquired another teams 1st round pick. Out of their 10 year existence the Jets 2.0 have only once not had a 1st round pick once and that was in 2018. On 2 occasions we have had 2 1st round picks those being in 2015 and 2016.
I'll admit that I was wrong about ditching prospects... but the whole trading our first to get our first back is pretty dicey logic.

And no one's ever talking about all ten years - because Thrasher's system was crap. Its just the last 3-4 years...

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Nikkanen going to the Pelicans. They start playoffs on Monday but I'm not sure if he's eligible? I'd assume that he is and that's why the move was made but need confirmation.

EDIT: Article says it's for the next 2 years. Was hoping it would extend his season.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Nikkanen going to the Pelicans. They start playoffs on Monday but I'm not sure if he's eligible? I'd assume that he is and that's why the move was made but need confirmation.

EDIT: Article says it's for the next 2 years. Was hoping it would extend his season.

I’d hope that after next season we can bring Nikkanen over here to play for the Moose.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Another player I was hoping would come here soon is Pavel Kraskovsky. He had quite a good year, for the season just ended, in the KHL. According to eliteprospects.com, his contract with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl expires at the end of next season (i.e. could be here in about 18 months).

Reactions: jetsforever

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’m not sure if anyone cares what The Hockey News has to say anymore, but their annual prospects issue just came out and the Jets have 3 players in the top 100 prospects: Perfetti (#17), Heinola (#30), and Samberg (#92). They also gave our prospect pool a B-, good for 15th in the league (up from 18th in 2020). For those wondering, Trevor Zegras is ranked #1.

Perfetti is ranked 9th in his draft class behind Byfield (#2), Drysdale (#3), Raymond (#4), Sanderson (#7), Askarov (#8), Holtz (#9), Lundell (#10), and Jarvis (#16). Lafreniere and Stutzle don’t count as prospects. Seems a bit harsh to Cole, but whatever.

Here’s the Jets top 10 prospects, and a brief excerpt paraphrasing what was said about them:

1. Cole Perfetti: Perfetti has displayed his on-ice intelligence, vision and ability to find space. Now, the Jets want him to add strength to his modest frame, become stronger on the puck, and develop his skating.

2. Ville Heinola: “He plays a lot like Teppo Numminen,” says Winnipeg Jets assistant GM Craig Heisinger. “He’s an angle player. That’s what he does well.”

3. Dylan Samberg: He’s got pretty good feet and reads the game well, but his puck game needs work.

4. Kristian Vesalainen: His offensive tools are what garners him attention, but the Jets have done a nice job of developing him for use up and down the lineup. He’s good defensively, can kill penalties and does all the little things right.

5. David Gustafsson: He has no offence. No flash. No style. And that’s OK. Gustafsson plays to his strengths: winning faceoffs, forcing turnovers, moving the puck up the ice and defense.

6. Mikhail Berdin: Skilled at playing the puck and looks like a future NHL backup.

7. Simon Lundmark: Very little flash. Good puck-mover and positionally sound.

8. Daniel Torgersson: Hulking winger with all the physical tools. Needs to translate his skills to the pro game.

9. Declan Chisholm: Excellent offensively in junior. Defence needs to improve.

10. Henri Nikkanen: Huge center with offensive upside. Size and skating are his greatest assets.

Very encouraging to read re: Vesalainen and Nikkanen, especially. Also a bit surprising, but positive, to see Lundmark so high. Surprised to see them dump on Chisholm’s defence. Wonder if whoever wrote that has actually seen him play.

Again, not sure how much THN knows about Winnipeg anymore but I thought it was fun to read.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lemieux was an asset required in a trade so cancels out. If a 4th line goon on his 4th team is the best you got...

It doesn't work that way. We had to give up an asset to get Lemieux.

Who said he was the best anything?

If the asset was a sack of pucks it still belongs on the list of assets traded. Throw in a roll of tape. Add it to the list.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m not sure if anyone cares what The Hockey News has to say anymore, but their annual prospects issue just came out and the Jets have 3 players in the top 100 prospects: Perfetti (#17), Heinola (#30), and Samberg (#92). They also gave our prospect pool a B-, good for 15th in the league (up from 18th in 2020). For those wondering, Trevor Zegras is ranked #1.

Perfetti is ranked 9th in his draft class behind Byfield (#2), Drysdale (#3), Raymond (#4), Sanderson (#7), Askarov (#8), Holtz (#9), Lundell (#10), and Jarvis (#16). Lafreniere and Stutzle don’t count as prospects. Seems a bit harsh to Cole, but whatever.

Here’s the Jets top 10 prospects, and a brief excerpt paraphrasing what was said about them:

1. Cole Perfetti: Perfetti has displayed his on-ice intelligence, vision and ability to find space. Now, the Jets want him to add strength to his modest frame, become stronger on the puck, and develop his skating.

2. Ville Heinola: “He plays a lot like Teppo Numminen,” says Winnipeg Jets assistant GM Craig Heisinger. “He’s an angle player. That’s what he does well.”

3. Dylan Samberg: He’s got pretty good feet and reads the game well, but his puck game needs work.

4. Kristian Vesalainen: His offensive tools are what garners him attention, but the Jets have done a nice job of developing him for use up and down the lineup. He’s good defensively, can kill penalties and does all the little things right.

5. David Gustafsson: He has no offence. No flash. No style. And that’s OK. Gustafsson plays to his strengths: winning faceoffs, forcing turnovers, moving the puck up the ice and defense.

6. Mikhail Berdin: Skilled at playing the puck and looks like a future NHL backup.

7. Simon Lundmark: Very little flash. Good puck-mover and positionally sound.

8. Daniel Torgersson: Hulking winger with all the physical tools. Needs to translate his skills to the pro game.

9. Declan Chisholm: Excellent offensively in junior. Defence needs to improve.

10. Henri Nikkanen: Huge center with offensive upside. Size and skating are his greatest assets.

Very encouraging to read re: Vesalainen and Nikkanen, especially. Also a bit surprising, but positive, to see Lundmark so high. Surprised to see them dump on Chisholm’s defence. Wonder if whoever wrote that has actually seen him play.

Again, not sure how much THN knows about Winnipeg anymore but I thought it was fun to read.

Strange of them to dock Cole points given that very few of those players have played many games this year but it hasn't even been a year since the draft so those ratings are pretty meaningless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->