Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Even if he is just a 3rd pairing D, I'd gladly take that considering how much of long shot to succeed in the NHL that many of us thought he was. A guy like him even if he is just a 3rd pairing guy has a decent trade market so he could be moved for something decent if needed.

Color me as one of the people also impressed with Stanley so far. Yeah he has been given sheltered minutes but there are other guys who get a sheltered deployment and don't make much of it.

Yeah, full credit to Stanley. He was always credited with being a high character hard worker. I hope that pays off for him. So far, so good.

I was often including him as a kicker in trade proposals. I figured he still had value because of that intriguing size. That trade value must have gone up with his performance so far this year. With a bit of a logjam building at LD, I would be just as happy to get the value out of him in trade.

Reactions: Anton Hipchekhov

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah, full credit to Stanley. He was always credited with being a high character hard worker. I hope that pays off for him. So far, so good.

I was often including him as a kicker in trade proposals. I figured he still had value because of that intriguing size. That trade value must have gone up with his performance so far this year. With a bit of a logjam building at LD, I would be just as happy to get the value out of him in trade.
This is the main reason why I think we really need to get Samberg into some games... we already know what we have in Heinola but Samberg and Stanley really seem to fill a similar role - what we don't know is if Samberg is faster and meaner than Stanley or vice versa... one of them could be packaged for the RHD we want

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is the main reason why I think we really need to get Samberg into some games... we already know what we have in Heinola but Samberg and Stanley really seem to fill a similar role - what we don't know is if Samberg is faster and meaner than Stanley or vice versa... one of them could be packaged for the RHD we want

I don't know about meaner, but I don't think there is any possibility that Samberg is not faster, and quicker.

Reactions: surixon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm glad he's producing, but I keep hoping for more. He's in his 21 YO season, and he turned 22 in October.

For comparison sake, Copp, Appleton and Foley (crazy that he hasn't played after that concussion) all turned pro after their 20 YO seasons.

Appleton and Foley were clearly the best players on their teams at that age, and led their teams in scoring too. Copp was 3rd in scoring on an absolutely stacked Michigan squad. Zach Hyman and Dylan Larkin scored more, but he outperformed the likes of Tyler Motte, Boo Nieces, Zach Werenski and JT Compher.

Nathan Smith is tracking closer to CJ Seuss.

Seems like a fair assessment. Of all the overage draft picks we've taken, so far only Lipon got a sniff, Poolman made it, and Suess has had one game in the NHL. It's hard for me to read him because of age. He's 4th in the WCHA in PPG, tied for 31st I believe nationally, and well Minnesota St is doing well in the national rankings, I think the conference is not the strongest, very few draft picks come from it. At 22 and a sophomore, he's behind the natural progression. If he turns pro earlier though, realistically we've got 5 years to work with him. I get the sense that he could have success at the AHL level, would definitely be a PP asset, that we won't have once Vesalainen makes the jump.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Seems like a fair assessment. Of all the overage draft picks we've taken, so far only Lipon got a sniff, Poolman made it, and Suess has had one game in the NHL. It's hard for me to read him because of age. He's 4th in the WCHA in PPG, tied for 31st I believe nationally, and well Minnesota St is doing well in the national rankings, I think the conference is not the strongest, very few draft picks come from it. At 22 and a sophomore, he's behind the natural progression. If he turns pro earlier though, realistically we've got 5 years to work with him. I get the sense that he could have success at the AHL level, would definitely be a PP asset, that we won't have once Vesalainen makes the jump.
Copp and Hellebuyck were both drafted as overagers I believe? Could be wrong.

EDIT: maybe Appleton as well. Kovacevic definitely was.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Smith assisted his team's only goal last night.
Lundmark with 1A today.

Reactions: hn777

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
Yup, skating is one of his strong points.
Meaner is a given.

The longer we go without seeing him play the more I start dreaming he's gonna land at 1RHD, be a beast from day one and drag our ragtag defense to the SCF. I wish they'd just hurry and play him, so we can see what we've got and adjust our (my) expectations accordingly.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't know about meaner, but I don't think there is any possibility that Samberg is not faster, and quicker.

I'd say quite a bit different too.

Stanley (non-NHL) is more likely to jump up in play in the ozone and has a MUCH harder shot.
Samberg has better gap and more cerebral player.
Neither really skate out the puck but Stanley is more chip and out, and Samberg is more quick, short pass. (not always for both but tendecy aligns that way)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd say quite a bit different too.

Stanley (non-NHL) is more likely to jump up in play in the ozone and has a MUCH harder shot.
Samberg has better gap and more cerebral player.
Neither really skate out the puck but Stanley is more chip and out, and Samberg is more quick, short pass. (not always for both but tendecy aligns that way)

I've seen Stanley making some very good longer first passes and out. Haven't counted the frequency but I think it has been a strength in his game so far.

I hope Stanley doesn't start jumping up in the O zone. If he deviates from his safe, simple, defensive game, I think he is toast. He just doesn't skate near well enough to start gambling for offense. IMO, safe, simple, defensive will need to describe his entire career. Maybe add a little physically intimidating if he doesn't over-commit to it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Did Luke Green just fade off the radar? I think he was same draft as Stanley...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Did Luke Green just fade off the radar? I think he was same draft as Stanley...

Constant injuries. Super-talented with fantastic skating and mobility but has only played a handful of games as a pro between bouts of injury. Would be great to see him get a good run of healthy play. He’s a lot of fun to watch.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I've seen Stanley making some very good longer first passes and out. Haven't counted the frequency but I think it has been a strength in his game so far.

I hope Stanley doesn't start jumping up in the O zone. If he deviates from his safe, simple, defensive game, I think he is toast. He just doesn't skate near well enough to start gambling for offense. IMO, safe, simple, defensive will need to describe his entire career. Maybe add a little physically intimidating if he doesn't over-commit to it.

Ya I'd put it on Stanley to stretch pass over Samberg. I just mean when under forecheck pressure. Sorry should have specified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->