Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Strange of them to dock Cole points given that very few of those players have played many games this year but it hasn't even been a year since the draft so those ratings are pretty meaningless.
It is strange. I guess they figure Lundell has had a good year and was dominant at the WJC; Askarov, though a backup, has impressive numbers (although he sucked Royal dick at the juniors); and Jarvis was over PPG in a brief (very brief — 11 points in nine games) stay in the AHL this year. Holtz has been extremely underwhelming, though. But even so, I think it’s too early to reshuffle the deck.

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I’m not sure if anyone cares what The Hockey News has to say anymore, but their annual prospects issue just came out and the Jets have 3 players in the top 100 prospects: Perfetti (#17), Heinola (#30), and Samberg (#92). They also gave our prospect pool a B-, good for 15th in the league (up from 18th in 2020). For those wondering, Trevor Zegras is ranked #1.

Perfetti is ranked 9th in his draft class behind Byfield (#2), Drysdale (#3), Raymond (#4), Sanderson (#7), Askarov (#8), Holtz (#9), Lundell (#10), and Jarvis (#16). Lafreniere and Stutzle don’t count as prospects. Seems a bit harsh to Cole, but whatever.

Here’s the Jets top 10 prospects, and a brief excerpt paraphrasing what was said about them:

1. Cole Perfetti: Perfetti has displayed his on-ice intelligence, vision and ability to find space. Now, the Jets want him to add strength to his modest frame, become stronger on the puck, and develop his skating.

2. Ville Heinola: “He plays a lot like Teppo Numminen,” says Winnipeg Jets assistant GM Craig Heisinger. “He’s an angle player. That’s what he does well.”

3. Dylan Samberg: He’s got pretty good feet and reads the game well, but his puck game needs work.

4. Kristian Vesalainen: His offensive tools are what garners him attention, but the Jets have done a nice job of developing him for use up and down the lineup. He’s good defensively, can kill penalties and does all the little things right.

5. David Gustafsson: He has no offence. No flash. No style. And that’s OK. Gustafsson plays to his strengths: winning faceoffs, forcing turnovers, moving the puck up the ice and defense.

6. Mikhail Berdin: Skilled at playing the puck and looks like a future NHL backup.

7. Simon Lundmark: Very little flash. Good puck-mover and positionally sound.

8. Daniel Torgersson: Hulking winger with all the physical tools. Needs to translate his skills to the pro game.

9. Declan Chisholm: Excellent offensively in junior. Defence needs to improve.

10. Henri Nikkanen: Huge center with offensive upside. Size and skating are his greatest assets.

Very encouraging to read re: Vesalainen and Nikkanen, especially. Also a bit surprising, but positive, to see Lundmark so high. Surprised to see them dump on Chisholm’s defence. Wonder if whoever wrote that has actually seen him play.

Again, not sure how much THN knows about Winnipeg anymore but I thought it was fun to read.
"No-offense" Gustafsson has 10 points in 10 AHL games as a 20-year old. In fact, he's always produced points at a decent level, but doesn't look flashy.

I don't think they've seen Chisholm at all with the AHL. He's been fine defensively for a rookie D.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
"No-offense" Gustafsson has 10 points in 10 AHL games as a 20-year old. In fact, he's always produced points at a decent level, but doesn't look flashy.

I don't think they've seen Chisholm at all with the AHL. He's been fine defensively for a rookie D.
I agree with your assessment, Whileee. I haven’t seen much Moose hockey this year (usually I try to attend a half dozen games a year though) but I’ve heard good reports on Chisholm’s D and statistically Gustafsson always seemed alright. IIRC he scored at a decent clip at the WJC as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It doesn't work that way. We had to give up an asset to get Lemieux.

Who said he was the best anything?

If the asset was a sack of pucks it still belongs on the list of assets traded. Throw in a roll of tape. Add it to the list.
I think you are just running yourself in circles on this one Mort. Might as well start a list of every asset that was wasted when a draft pick wasn't signed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you are just running yourself in circles on this one Mort. Might as well start a list of every asset that was wasted when a draft pick wasn't signed.

Hey, it isn't even my list. :laugh:
But a list of assets traded away is not complete if you leave out all the ones acquired in trade. It isn't circular. It is a chain.

That would be another list.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Agreed. I think Gus is going to be like Eriksson-Ek - who scored his 19th today. They're both big Centres that are agitators and can be used to shut down opposing stars. At the same time they both have really good shots, decent instincts around the net. They also both have the fortune of playing on teams with elite wingers. I think Gus is good enough to push Dubois to his wing in two years. He's a real gamer and a very natural center. I'm not sold on Dubois in the middle. Not yet.

Reactions: hn777

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Cole's smaller, but the negatives against him sound exactly like Jason Roberson's since he's been drafted, and he dropped in the draft because of it. Now look at him. Cole will be fine.

a friend of mine is a huge Dallas supporter and I dropped him a text after the Robertson pick and said that was an excellent choice. The only other guy I said that about was Heiskanen. As you pointed out the size difference is material, Robertson is 6’3” and 210 but his skating was the big knock on him and I thought that was short sighted of other teams at the time.

Cole does not have Jason’s frame but I think your point is still spot on.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Agreed. I think Gus is going to be like Eriksson-Ek - who scored his 19th today. They're both big Centres that are agitators and can be used to shut down opposing stars. At the same time they both have really good shots, decent instincts around the net. They also both have the fortune of playing on teams with elite wingers. I think Gus is good enough to push Dubois to his wing in two years. He's a real gamer and a very natural center. I'm not sold on Dubois in the middle. Not yet.
Gus is going to push PLD to the wing...ok then.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I have my doubts Berdin is even good enough to be a backup in the NHL. .897 save percentage is pretty bad and his .910 or .911 save percentage is nothing to write home about.

Jets don't have any promising goalie prospects right now. Holm's save percentage is decidedly average as I took a look at the numbers posted by other goalies in his league. The 2 other goalies drafted by the Jets, Moe and Neaton, barely played last year, but when they did, they posted awful numbers....855 save percentage.

So far in Jets 2.0, the team has drafted one goalie capable of playing in the NHL - Hellybucyk, that's it. No one even looks capable of playing backup at this point, so they had better hope they sign Brosoit to another 1 year deal.

Time to look at drafting another goalie this year, given our poor depth. If there is someone promising in the 3rd round, maybe grab him instead of this late round crap they have been drafting.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I have my doubts Berdin is even good enough to be a backup in the NHL. .897 save percentage is pretty bad and his .910 or .911 save percentage is nothing to write home about.

Jets don't have any promising goalie prospects right now. Holm's save percentage is decidedly average as I took a look at the numbers posted by other goalies in his league. The 2 other goalies drafted by the Jets, Moe and Neaton, barely played last year, but when they did, they posted awful numbers....855 save percentage.

So far in Jets 2.0, the team has drafted one goalie capable of playing in the NHL - Hellybucyk, that's it. No one even looks capable of playing backup at this point, so they had better hope they sign Brosoit to another 1 year deal.

Time to look at drafting another goalie this year, given our poor depth. If there is someone promising in the 3rd round, maybe grab him instead of this late round crap they have been drafting.

Arvid Holm is still a viable prospect, IMO — I think his numbers likely need some context from those who know the league better. He has looked solid in my few viewings. Agree that he’s not backing up by next year.

Prospect Update: Jets Top Young Goaltenders Continue Thriving Overseas

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Berdin can be really good. Like game to game he can be flat out dominant, but over time he tends to fade. If he can figure out how to stretch out what he's capable of doing and what he often does he'll be a star, but we'll see how that goes. I'm encouraged by him saying he's going to work on his fitness in the offseason, should help him sustain that dominant level of play for longer periods.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad