Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
OK, I've been meaning to point this out for some time.

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, you will already have read this. That's why you subscribe to the ****ing Athletic. And if you don't, you can't read it. So, what's the point in posting links to Athletic articles?
Because it was just posted a few minutes before I gave a heads up. I always appreciate when others do the same.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
OK, I've been meaning to point this out for some time.

If you have a subscription to the Athletic, you will already have read this. That's why you subscribe to the ****ing Athletic. And if you don't, you can't read it. So, what's the point in posting links to Athletic articles?
For those without a subscription we get 3 free articles a month. Choose wisely.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Let’s see how it goes. And see how he does against the top teams in the Central.

Roslovic has been very pedestrian in his scoring. He also had a hat trick last year. But finished with 9 goals. Until he shows me consistent scoring for a longer period of time, I’ll question whether he can do it. I’m not sold yet.
I think you’re too focused on stats but we can agree to disagree.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think you’re too focused on stats but we can agree to disagree.
Stats = production.

If you don’t produce, the team will look for someone that can. Bryan Little is the poster boy for playing well, but if you’re not producing at your expected level in lineup, replacements are sought.

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
I watched Minnesota Duluth-Minnesota State tonight, it was a free stream because of the blizzard up there.

Dylan Samberg
First of all he played a lot of minutes tonight. I am pretty sure someone in their top 4 has been hurt this weekend therefore he would play some top pair on his offside with Perunovich and some 2nd pair, but basically the poor kid was double shifted this weekend coming off an injury. All while playing 2nd unit PP and 1st unit PK. You could tell he was a little gassed at certain points in the second period. 13 shot attempts , yes. But most were of the non-threatening variety. He created two really good chances for his team 5 on 5. One was a drop pass on a zone entry to a trailing player that was passed to a player in prime position in front of the net but was turned aside by the goalie. The second was a shot from the point that was tipped just wide by his teammate. So he did have some good opportunities for a secondary and primary assist 5 on 5. Defensively 5 on 5 I liked his game. The vast majority of the time he will make the right read to get the puck out of his zone, yes he had one bad zone exit on the night. He also gave up one really bad opportunity 5 on 5 to Minnesota State when he was behind his own net, he was challenged by the opposing player which should have been a clear win for Samberg but it wasn't. The opposing player passed it to the low slot and luckily for Samberg his goalie made the save. He got a primary assist on a PP point shot. It was a really nice shot from the high slot, that I think went off the skate of his teammate and into the net.

I have watched him a couple times a year since he has enrolled at Duluth. My general thoughts are he won't ever have the super skilled offensive zone game like his teammate Scott Perunovich. But he won't need that type of game to be an effective NHLer in my opinion. Playing well in his own end, exiting the zone effectively, while chipping in offensively will make him a very important player if and when he signs with the Jets. To me if he needs any AHL time it will be very brief.

Nathan Smith
This one will be a lot shorter writeup. He really didn't show anything 5 on 5 playing right wing. He had one really good opportunity 5 on 5 to open the 2nd period on a 2 on 1 but his teammate made a horrible pass right into Nathan's skates that Nathan could not corral. Amusingly this came off of Samberg blowing a tire at the Minnesota State blue line. Don't worry it wasn't Samberg's fault. There were comments by the announcer that the ice was too wet from the zamboni. Evidence supported this as another UMD player went down the next draw. I also think Nathan got benched in the 2nd period or he was hurt because he wasn't out there from 15 minutes till 3 minutes left in the 2nd period. Granted MSU was killing 9 minutes of penalties in the 2nd even needing Smith to chip in on PKing a 5 minute major. Now for the impressive plays by him. Both PP goals were a direct result of his play. He played the Scheifele role on the 2nd PP unit. He had a beautiful pass to the front of the net that resulted in the game winning goal. Even more impressive was after coming out of the penalty box ending 4 on 4 and the start of a PP for MSU he had a beautiful cross ice pass to give his teammate a wide open net which was the insurance goal for MSU. His play on the PP giving him two primary points was the reason his team sealed the game.

It was fun to watch both help their respective teams tonight. Jets for sure have something in Samberg and may have something in Smith.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Another power play assist for Lundmark today, surprised they're using him there but happy he's producing.

EDIT: actually given his production over the last season it's not really surprising he's being used there. Fell into the strange narrative here that he's Jacob Cederholm 2.0 because he's Swedish I guess? Despite the fact that Lundmark has out produced him hand over fist at the same ages and is known for being a good skater.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and JetsUK

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Another power play assist for Lundmark today, surprised they're using him there but happy he's producing.

EDIT: actually given his production over the last season it's not really surprising he's being used there. Fell into the strange narrative here that he's Jacob Cederholm 2.0 because he's Swedish I guess? Despite the fact that Lundmark has out produced him hand over fist at the same ages and is known for being a good skater.

Certain people will suggest something and posters here will take it for Gospel. I prefer the wait and see approach with any prospect

Reactions: DuckyChuck

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I watched Minnesota Duluth-Minnesota State tonight, it was a free stream because of the blizzard up there.

Dylan Samberg
First of all he played a lot of minutes tonight. I am pretty sure someone in their top 4 has been hurt this weekend therefore he would play some top pair on his offside with Perunovich and some 2nd pair, but basically the poor kid was double shifted this weekend coming off an injury. All while playing 2nd unit PP and 1st unit PK. You could tell he was a little gassed at certain points in the second period. 13 shot attempts , yes. But most were of the non-threatening variety. He created two really good chances for his team 5 on 5. One was a drop pass on a zone entry to a trailing player that was passed to a player in prime position in front of the net but was turned aside by the goalie. The second was a shot from the point that was tipped just wide by his teammate. So he did have some good opportunities for a secondary and primary assist 5 on 5. Defensively 5 on 5 I liked his game. The vast majority of the time he will make the right read to get the puck out of his zone, yes he had one bad zone exit on the night. He also gave up one really bad opportunity 5 on 5 to Minnesota State when he was behind his own net, he was challenged by the opposing player which should have been a clear win for Samberg but it wasn't. The opposing player passed it to the low slot and luckily for Samberg his goalie made the save. He got a primary assist on a PP point shot. It was a really nice shot from the high slot, that I think went off the skate of his teammate and into the net.

I have watched him a couple times a year since he has enrolled at Duluth. My general thoughts are he won't ever have the super skilled offensive zone game like his teammate Scott Perunovich. But he won't need that type of game to be an effective NHLer in my opinion. Playing well in his own end, exiting the zone effectively, while chipping in offensively will make him a very important player if and when he signs with the Jets. To me if he needs any AHL time it will be very brief.

Nathan Smith
This one will be a lot shorter writeup. He really didn't show anything 5 on 5 playing right wing. He had one really good opportunity 5 on 5 to open the 2nd period on a 2 on 1 but his teammate made a horrible pass right into Nathan's skates that Nathan could not corral. Amusingly this came off of Samberg blowing a tire at the Minnesota State blue line. Don't worry it wasn't Samberg's fault. There were comments by the announcer that the ice was too wet from the zamboni. Evidence supported this as another UMD player went down the next draw. I also think Nathan got benched in the 2nd period or he was hurt because he wasn't out there from 15 minutes till 3 minutes left in the 2nd period. Granted MSU was killing 9 minutes of penalties in the 2nd even needing Smith to chip in on PKing a 5 minute major. Now for the impressive plays by him. Both PP goals were a direct result of his play. He played the Scheifele role on the 2nd PP unit. He had a beautiful pass to the front of the net that resulted in the game winning goal. Even more impressive was after coming out of the penalty box ending 4 on 4 and the start of a PP for MSU he had a beautiful cross ice pass to give his teammate a wide open net which was the insurance goal for MSU. His play on the PP giving him two primary points was the reason his team sealed the game.

It was fun to watch both help their respective teams tonight. Jets for sure have something in Samberg and may have something in Smith.

Thanks for the great update! Keep them coming!

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Certain people will suggest something and posters here will take it for Gospel. I prefer the wait and see approach with any prospect

Is this the narrative that we're talking about?

I get a Cederholm feel, when I look at our 2 nd round pick Lundmark. I had a feeling that we should have picked Leason( big LW who can put the puck in the net). I did not see him being available to us at 51. I thought he would fall out of the first round and get selected btw 30-40. overager would have joined the Moose sooner.

A single poster's opinion posted on draft day? I couldn't find any other references to Cederholm and Lundmark in the same post. Generally, the opinions on him have been unfavorable, but sometimes it's good to have lowered expectations...outperforming them is a nice surprise! :)

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

I don’t recall anyone comparing him to Cederholm. Cederholm was a questionable pick because he had nothing going for him but size. Lundmark was viewed as someone who great tools but no hockey IQ. I really don’t see any similarity at all between the two pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad