TSN: Jets' Petan 'on outside looking in'

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Would offer either the rights to Tryamkin or Goldobin + but I could very much see the Canucks flipping Gaunce.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Would offer either the rights to Tryamkin or Goldobin + but I could very much see the Canucks flipping Gaunce.
I wouldn't do either of those. I am still a optimist that Tryamkin will come back in a couple of years and I want to give Goldobin a real top 6 look before we cut ties. Gaunce or Motte I would easily flip for him but not sure why the Jets would trade him for NHL/AHL tweeners.

Reactions: Troy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Petan might be a great fit with McDavid. I mean he's about 200 pounds lighter than Lucic and 10x faster and more skilled. Petan + Roslovic for RNH could be a good base to work around. Add ins where necessary. RNH could fit between Ehlers and Laine. That trade improves both teams immediately. Hate to give up Roslovic but would consider it at least.
This trade does not improve Edmonton immediately in any way. Trading away their 3rd best forward for 2 unproven players is the exact opposite of what Edmonton should be doing. Roslovic is a nice piece, but he's not worth RNH, and Petan at this point is likely worth a 3rd or late 2nd at most.

I'd have interest in Petan for a draft pick, but thats about it. RNH isn't going anywhere unless its for a PP QB, and even then I doubt they look to move him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This trade does not improve Edmonton immediately in any way. Trading away their 3rd best forward for 2 unproven players is the exact opposite of what Edmonton should be doing. Roslovic is a nice piece, but he's not worth RNH, and Petan at this point is likely worth a 3rd or late 2nd at most.

I'd have interest in Petan for a draft pick, but thats about it. RNH isn't going anywhere unless its for a PP QB, and even then I doubt they look to move him.
Why do threads about low value players ALWAYS end up in proposals where they're the least valuable piece in trades? Nic Petan is a LONG ways away from getting you Nugent-Hopkins. Petan is waiver-eligible. His value is about as high as Ty Rattie's is right now. As an Oiler fan, I'd have time for him, but I'm thinking a mid-round pick or maybe a prospect like Markus Niemelainen.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why do threads about low value players ALWAYS end up in proposals where they're the least valuable piece in trades? Nic Petan is a LONG ways away from getting you Nugent-Hopkins. Petan is waiver-eligible. His value is about as high as Ty Rattie's is right now. As an Oiler fan, I'd have time for him, but I'm thinking a mid-round pick or maybe a prospect like Markus Niemelainen.
Not sure. I was probably being generous saying a 3rd or late 2nd in all honesty. They'd need to find someone who believes in him to offer that, and if they don't deal him and he can't find a regular spot in the lineup this year then he will be gone for nothing on waivers quite likely.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not sure. I was probably being generous saying a 3rd or late 2nd in all honesty. They'd need to find someone who believes in him to offer that, and if they don't deal him and he can't find a regular spot in the lineup this year then he will be gone for nothing on waivers quite likely.
Yep, or eating popcorn again in the pressbox.

Teams usually cater to these guys though. Pro teams are realistic. If they think a kid deserves a shot but know he's not going to get one in their organization, they'll do him a solid at this point. There's a lot of pride in just developing these guys.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, or eating popcorn again in the pressbox.

Teams usually cater to these guys though. Pro teams are realistic. If they think a kid deserves a shot but know he's not going to get one in their organization, they'll do him a solid at this point. There's a lot of pride in just developing these guys.
Yeah that's usually the case. Unless of course you're Toronto with Leivo and Corrado.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013

Roslovic is a top 6 winger/potential center and Petan is unknown. Edmonton needs speed and skill and those two players address that. Having 3 centers (McD Dra RNH) seems redundant if you just put cavemen who can't skate around them. Sure don't be excited about Petan who knows about him, but Roslovic is exactly the kind of player Edm should be targetting.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Roslovic is a top 6 winger/potential center and Petan is unknown. Edmonton needs speed and skill and those two players address that. Having 3 centers (McD Dra RNH) seems redundant if you just put cavemen who can't skate around them. Sure don't be excited about Petan who knows about him, but Roslovic is exactly the kind of player Edm should be targetting.
Not for RNH they shouldn't. RNH has shown he can play wing with McDavid, and produced very well in the 14 or 15 games he spent on wing to end the season. We also know he can play top 6 centre if McDavid or Drai get injured so why on earth would we want to trade him for a downgrade in Roslovic and a potential waiver wire player in Petan? Sounds like an awful gamble that is likely to further dilute the skill in the Oilers forward group.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Given the upcoming salary cap crunch and if the Jets were looking at possibly signing Stastny, the Jets should be selling off Perreault.

Not sure that Petan is necessarily out with the Jets for this year. I would rather not divest the team of young, cheap and potentially top 9 players.

Jets motto these days is to allow players to ripen in the AHL. You’d think that Petan will now be given an opportunity next year if they move Perreault out.

Reactions: snake schneibler

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Given the upcoming salary cap crunch and if the Jets were looking at possibly signing Stastny, the Jets should be selling off Perreault.

Not sure that Petan is necessarily out with the Jets for this year. I would rather not divest the team of young, cheap and potentially top 9 players.

Jets motto these days is to allow players to ripen in the AHL. You’d think that Petan will now be given an opportunity next year if they move Perreault out.
Isn't Perrault very good defensively? Petan is a pretty big curveball as to what he brings to the table in his absence.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Isn't Perrault very good defensively? Petan is a pretty big curveball as to what he brings to the table in his absence.

Yep, Perreault has a very good two-way game and you can move him up and down the line-up. A bit injury prone and can be streaky.

However, at some point soon, he’s a luxury that we will not be able to retain.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep, Perreault has a very good two-way game and you can move him up and down the line-up. A bit injury prone and can be streaky.

However, at some point soon, he’s a luxury that we will not be able to retain.
Perreault would be a great add for the Oilers. He's quick, and can drive possession injustice about any line. But I'm not sure what the Oilers have that would entice the Jets to move him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

What would Perreaults value be? Does he ever play C still?

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
That's what generally happens for 2nd round picks that get to the point in which waivers are an issue and can't crack the NHL lineup consistently. Tangradi returned a 6th, Dalpe essentially a 4th, Pirri a 3rd+5th, Prince a 3rd, etc. The notable deviation was Vey, not a 2nd round pick, who somehow pulled a 2nd.

That's true, didn't give waiver eligibly much thought in my valuations. I don't remember the guys listed as having as much offensive potential as Petan, or if their paths to the NHL were blocked by teams with depth or not but I admittedly have followed Petan more than them (except maybe Pirri).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Gotta wonder what Jets fans think about their team needs. Honestly, watching them play I think that they would make the Stanley Cup finals 9 times out of 10. There just doesn't seem to be much deficiency there and they just need to roll into next season a little older and a little wiser and they'll do great things.

Jet's fans, what do you think your weakness is? With so many valuable pieces seems like you could easily downgrade to superb instead of superhuman in some areas to make other areas superb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad