TSN: Jets' Petan 'on outside looking in'

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Petan might be a great fit with McDavid. I mean he's about 200 pounds lighter than Lucic and 10x faster and more skilled. Petan + Roslovic for RNH could be a good base to work around. Add ins where necessary. RNH could fit between Ehlers and Laine. That trade improves both teams immediately. Hate to give up Roslovic but would consider it at least.

Jan 21, 2018
Thanks for your well thought out and intelligent post.

no worries! i'm glad you took it well and instead didn't get upset like other jets homers when they hear laughable posts like Petan being worth a 2nd...

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Petan might be a great fit with McDavid. I mean he's about 200 pounds lighter than Lucic and 10x faster and more skilled. Petan + Roslovic for RNH could be a good base to work around. Add ins where necessary. RNH could fit between Ehlers and Laine. That trade improves both teams immediately. Hate to give up Roslovic but would consider it at least.
As much as I like the idea of RNH to WPG to play between Ehlers and Laine I think if a deal involves Roslovic they're better just trading Petan for a pick and signing Stastny for 3 years at 6M than giving up Ros as well. Assuming Stastny would stay here at 6M (also depends what he's going to get offered on the free market)

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If Mason gets moved for say a 3rd from one of the eastern teams that need a goalie, would there be any interest in Petan for Nilson?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
no worries! i'm glad you took it well and instead didn't get upset like other jets homers when they hear laughable posts like Petan being worth a 2nd...
Not defending other Jets Homers (because there's a lot of them) but you clearly over value draft picks vs players. Any pick after #30 has about a 1-50 chance of becoming even a 4th line NHLer or press boxer.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
...any interest in reuniting Dano with Wennberg? He's also likely available...
Id rather pony up and pay the price for Roslovic. I know WPG likely doesn't wanna trade him but I know the Jackets wanted him in the draft before Winnipeg snagged him. Jackets need center depth in the worst way. I'd rather overpay for a young player with potential than overpay an older depth player in FA.

What would the ask be for Roslovic and Petan?

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Very skilled but lacks the skating necessary to thrive in the NHL at his size.

Getting the opportunity to play in the lineup every night for a full season or two, he may develop the ability to read the play fast enough to make up for his deficiencies but he isn't going to get that opportunity in Winnipeg.

I'd be content moving him for whatever is offered just to do right by him, which is what I suspect the Jets management is doing here.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If he’s available relatively cheapishly the Oilers should make a move for him. He’s buried 20 feet deep by depth in winnipeg.
Yeah, move out Lucic somewhere. Then get Petan and throw him at 3lw next to Strome and Pulju/Yama on the right. Would be a pretty good line.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Id rather pony up and pay the price for Roslovic. I know WPG likely doesn't wanna trade him but I know the Jackets wanted him in the draft before Winnipeg snagged him. Jackets need center depth in the worst way. I'd rather overpay for a young player with potential than overpay an older depth player in FA.

What would the ask be for Roslovic and Petan?

Roslovic has to more ELC seasons and has proven he can fill a variety of roles around the top 9. And still has the potential to develop into a 2C that the Jets need long term.

Asking price would be far more than any team would be willing to pay. Basically, it would be a young, cost controlled, player that is already likely to fill the Jets 2C role. A player like that is already worth a lot more than Roslovic.

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
My gut feeling is that he'll be moved during the second part of the next draft for a pick. Just like Linden Vey.

Jan 21, 2018
Not defending other Jets Homers (because there's a lot of them) but you clearly over value draft picks vs players. Any pick after #30 has about a 1-50 chance of becoming even a 4th line NHLer or press boxer.

No I don't. I'm actually on the complete opposite spectrum, I blast people on this site for having an unreasonable obsession with prospects and draft picks. And yet I still know Petan isnt going to land a 2nd round pick, that's absurd.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Petan is an average skater at best.
He was gifted 2PP time and didn't do much with it at all.
He is a very good, creative playmaker with high hockey IQ.
I think he makes the team out of TC and sits in the press box for 45-50 games this year depending on what Vesalainen does.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Petan is an average skater at best.
He was gifted 2PP time and didn't do much with it at all.
He is a very good, creative playmaker with high hockey IQ.
I think he makes the team out of TC and sits in the press box for 45-50 games this year depending on what Vesalainen does.
that would be a huge waste of his talent. Him having to sit is exactly why he would want a trade.
Roslovic has to more ELC seasons and has proven he can fill a variety of roles around the top 9. And still has the potential to develop into a 2C that the Jets need long term.

Asking price would be far more than any team would be willing to pay. Basically, it would be a young, cost controlled, player that is already likely to fill the Jets 2C role. A player like that is already worth a lot more than Roslovic.
understandable

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
What would Winnipeg be looking for from Ottawa in return for Petan + Kulikov? Sens might need to send back some salary but not necessarily.

Reactions: Deku

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Would definitely give him a shot in Ottawa

What would Winnipeg be looking for from Ottawa in return for Petan + Kulikov? Sens might need to send back some salary but not necessarily.

Maybe something involving Smith? Don't know if WPG would have any interest in him or not
I wanna say Smith+Claesson+low pick for Petan+Kulikov but that could easily not interest the Jets whatsoever

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

I don't know why the Jets would move Kulikov. I mean, he could leave if a cheaper option was in place to fill the role, but the role he filled isn't so easy to find. He was significantly better than a bottom pairing guy last season.

Would definitely give him a shot in Ottawa
Maybe something involving Smith? Don't know if WPG would have any interest in him or not
I wanna say Smith+Claesson+low pick for Petan+Kulikov but that could easily not interest the Jets whatsoever

Less than zero interest in that from the Jets. Absolutely no interest in Smith or Claesson. Neither is needed.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I could see them trying to use him as a sweetener to move Mason or Kulikov's deal

Kulikov was great last year and was easily worth his contract.

I agree with Mason though. Petan is likely a throw-in in another deal

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I don't know why the Jets would move Kulikov. I mean, he could leave if a cheaper option was in place to fill the role, but the role he filled isn't so easy to find. He was significantly better than a bottom pairing guy last season.

Less than zero interest in that from the Jets. Absolutely no interest in Smith or Claesson. Neither is needed.

That makes sense, I was kinda surprised to see that sentiment because Kulikov has always been a fine DMan in my viewings.

No surprise about Claesson/Smith. They might have some value to a few teams but Jets are one of the last teams that need players like them.

Would something around Petan + Mason for Condon + (I don't know what exactly, what type of asset are you guys looking for?) work? Or is Condon a non-starter? He has two more years at 2.4 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad