Post-Game Talk: Jets outscore Habs' one man Armia 6-3

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
None of the goals was bad, but Helle probably stops both of the first 2 last year.
Armia's 1st goal was kinda weak for a Vezina glistened all-world goalie. Armia came in over blue-line straight on and fired the puck right through him. No traffic in front, no deceptive deek around coverage, only Morrissey pressuring from the side to rush Armia.
Armia sniped it like a 50-gosl scorers shot (which he isn't known for). Helle just caught moving and opened up his lower body. Not sure why Helle was moving his lower body in such a manner for a fairly straight on shot?
Seems to me he is not settled after the start for a period or a little more, in the last quite a few games. He has let in at least 1 in that he likely should stopped in the last 5 or 6 of his starts.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
The one word that came to mind watching the second and third period was mature.

I thought they for the most part played a mature game. Played to their skill. Wasn’t perfect but played to win.

PLDs game has winner written all over it. Has the tools to do whatever is needed to win.

This trade (and drafting Perfetti) will go down as a 10 in winning when we look back 5 years from now.
PLD is so strong on the puck. When he goes into the corner for a puck battle he’ll most often win. What a change from Liane in that regard.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
PLD is so strong on the puck. When he goes into the corner for a puck battle he’ll most often win. What a change from Liane in that regard.

One point in the game PLD had the puck along the boards and a Hab player came at him to hit him & take the puck.....PLD literally just turned his back towards the guy, kept his body between the Hab player and the puck and the Hab player literally bounced off PLD and PLD kept the puck, kept going and I don't even think he noticed the Hab bounce off him. PLD is a beast with the puck in the corners or along the walls.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Too bad we don't have two great young D waiting for a chance plus a giant bear of a rear-guard to play in front of Beaulieu right now.

I was thinking that too. Thanks for pointing out exactly "what the parts we are missing to replace Beaulieu" are!
Would be cool if Chevy could find those types, eh? Yucka, yucka.
Hint, hint. Look in the Taxi squad/Moose roster rooms Chevy. Might be pleasantly surprised?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
first, the PP: i don't get why Dubois is on the left side for the PP. they kept on feeding him the puck and, man, he looks more comfy shooting from the right than the left side. i think that was the shift prior to him scoring?

D: look, it would seem reactionary to shit on Beaulieu. i would LOVE to see his metrics from tonight. He was to blame for 2 of the goals. he SHOULD have been penalized for clearing the puck over the glass. he had one other bad play in our zone that gave the Habs a great scoring opportunity. enough with him already. fire him to the sun.

Niku: look, he didn't look bad or make too many flubs. his zone exit pass resulted in a Jets' goal. in his own zone, i still feel like he gets lost a bit. doesn't seem to have amazing puck instincts in our zone or good balance after he's checked and the puck goes in the opposite direction. there's a 2-mississippi count between him seeing the puck reversing directions and being 10 ft away from him and him going for it (and going hard).

that said...kudos to Niku for playing like he did after, what, 3 weeks since his last game action? i do feel bad for the kid and i think he can be a valuable asset to the team if he plays to his strengths and can work on his weaknesses. but that's a big ask.
He needs some steady icetime with controlled minutes maybe and real work on his weaknesses. No true value practice time could hurt a few players for sure.
Niku needs to build some confidence, in his defensive play. He does have some very good jump up in the offensive play instincts.

Reactions: The Big M

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Credit to Perry, he was throwing punches for show once he'd got control of that scrap.

BooBoo should be benched the next game for that play on PP. There was 0 upside to that attempted stand, the team had been killing penalties really well and you're gonna give up a 2 on 1 at your own blueline by going for an optimistic check. Please.

Going for, and whiffing spectacularly.

Good morning to you too!!

I called Jets 5-2 with Dubois and Armia scoring so I'll absolutely take that.

:D:towel:

I'm glad you got your birthday wish, but it did a lot of liver damage in Manitoba tonight.

Drouin sucks!

A little uncharitable considering I'm pretty sure he didn't play tonight. ;)

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
The boys all coming to check the size of the balls on Ehlers:laugh:
yp8kKjM.mp4
Hale to the new King Ali in a Jets uni! They all had to get a close up glimpse and do their high-fist pumps while the King sat on his throne.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Here are some thoughts for you to read and perhaps argue with:

-ordered a Kyle Connor blue heritage jersey today and he responded by potting two goals, you’re welcome

-PLD looks better and better. He has been as advertised. Once he extends (knock on wood), he’ll be my next jersey pickup.

-The demise of Blake Wheeler has been greatly exaggerated. Good to see him playing well

-Scheif has been something else this season

-Ehlers and Stastny — both electric

-Niku looked confident. Would like to see that continue. I’m still not certain of his future in Winnipeg but aside from one giveaway in front of his net in the 1st, he was fantastic tonight. Keep it up.

-Happy to see Thompson get a big one

-Pionk’s point streak continues. I’m obviously not implying he is a 1D, but he sure has been playing like it this year

-Appleton is really impressing me. I didn’t think he was much at the NHL level but he is proving me wrong. Lowry and Copp were rock solid too.

-Hellebuyck was better than his save percentage might’ve suggested. I didn’t think any of the goals were his fault

-I love that this team never quits but can we stop spotting teams the lead, please?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Here are some thoughts for you to read and perhaps argue with:

-ordered a Kyle Connor blue heritage jersey today and he responded by potting two goals, you’re welcome

-PLD looks better and better. He has been as advertised. Once he extends (knock on wood), he’ll be my next jersey pickup.

-The demise of Blake Wheeler has been greatly exaggerated. Good to see him playing well

-Scheif has been something else this season

-Ehlers and Stastny — both electric

-Niku looked confident. Would like to see that continue. I’m still not certain of his future in Winnipeg but aside from one giveaway in front of his net in the 1st, he was fantastic tonight. Keep it up.

-Happy to see Thompson get a big one

-Pionk’s point streak continues. I’m obviously not implying he is a 1D, but he sure has been playing like it this year

-Appleton is really impressing me. I didn’t think he was much at the NHL level but he is proving me wrong. Lowry and Copp were rock solid too.

-Hellebuyck was better than his save percentage might’ve suggested. I didn’t think any of the goals were his fault

-I love that this team never quits but can we stop spotting teams the lead, please?

I like your analysis.

Niku to me was the biggest surprise after such a long layoff. He was really good. His first passes were good, very good, I liked the European footwork on some of the loose pucks, and to see him jump in the play for a grade A scoring chance was something that adds another element to our defense. But you have to give some credit to De Melo, because he's helping out a lot to stabilize the 3rd pairing now, and this seems to be a Maurice objective.

Good choice on jerseys, Connor was dancing out there. That line is great. Stastny does so many little things to make his linemates better, and we can attack when Connor and Ehlers are flying around the ice. I think we've got 3 lines now that all bring something, and that's going to take us forward. By far the best passing I've seen from the Jets inside the zone, and I am not sure if that is our skill, or the fact the Habs have a slower defense that backs in pretty deep.

Thompson getting the GWG was on no one's prediction list, but that's good for him, and probably good for a few more games in the lineup.

I was particularly impressed at how well our top 3 centres played in the defensive zone tonight, I can't remember a 2nd chance scoring attempt.

The other thing I would add is that the PP was much better tonight. I think Morrissey opened things up early by shooting from the point. 2nd PP with Ehlers, Dubois and Pionk has some speed to attack with in gaining zone entry and moving the puck. Loved the feed from Perreault on the Dubois goal.

I guess the only real negative is Beaulieu after this game. He looked like the defenseman Habs fans loved to hate tonight. The flyby on the PK was really something. The Armia goal was poor communication between defensemen, and it's probably not to our advantage to play Morrissey on his offside, as he didn't look particularly confident or comfortable. I mean Beaulieu did have some good moments, but those costly mistakes could have cost us tonight. Credit the resiliency of this team, led by the Captain.

I'd have no objection to Poolman coming back in for Beaulieu, and taking his PK minutes, if the end result is more consistency from Morrissey 5 on 5. Overall this could substantially increase the speed of our defense, which should result in more attacking than defending. The end game is likely still Samberg to pair with Morrissey, but with the positive contributions we've had from Stanley, and Niku's game tonight, the competition is getting a little stronger on the defensive front.

The Habs are a fragile team and we needed to keep them down. Hopefully the winning streak continues with the momentum the team is building.

Last edited:

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
As a Frenchman, I've gotta love the First Frenchman to Frenchman goal in Winnipeg Jets history! (Assumed on Purr-oh to PLD Goal)

Niku, after lining up Ehlers with a suicide pass seemed pretty solid tonight, so much better than those early season games.

I very much look forward to Beaulieu & Forbort being fired off into the sun & replaced by Heinola & some combo of Stanley/Samburg!

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I like your analysis.

Niku to me was the biggest surprise after such a long layoff. He was really good. His first passes were good, very good, I liked the European footwork on some of the loose pucks, and to see him jump in the play for a grade A scoring chance was something that adds another element to our defense. But you have to give some credit to De Melo, because he's helping out a lot to stabilize the 3rd pairing now, and this seems to be a Maurice objective.

Good choice on jerseys, Connor was dancing out there. That line is great. Stastny does so many little things to make his linemates better, and we can attack when Connor and Ehlers are flying around the ice. I think we've got 3 lines now that all bring something, and that's going to take us forward. By far the best passing I've seen from the Jets inside the zone, and I am not sure if that is our skill, or the fact the Habs have a slower defense that backs in pretty deep.

Thompson getting the GWG was on no one's prediction list, but that's good for him, and probably good for a few more games in the lineup.

I was particularly impressed at how well our top 3 centres played in the defensive zone tonight, I can't remember a 2nd chance scoring attempt.

The other thing I would add is that the PP was much better tonight. I think Morrissey opened things up early by shooting from the point. 2nd PP with Ehlers, Dubois and Pionk has some speed to attack with in gaining zone entry and moving the puck. Loved the feed from Perreault on the Dubois goal.

I guess the only real negative is Beaulieu after this game. He looked like the defenseman Habs fans loved to hate tonight. The flyby on the PK was really something. The Armia goal was poor communication between defensemen, and it's probably not to our advantage to play Morrissey on his offside, as he didn't look particularly confident or comfortable. I mean Beaulieu did have some good moments, but those costly mistakes could have cost us tonight. Credit the resiliency of this team, led by the Captain.

I'd have no objection to Poolman coming back in for Beaulieu, and taking his PK minutes, if the end result is more consistency from Morrissey 5 on 5. Overall this could substantially increase the speed of our defense, which should result in more attacking than defending. The end game is likely still Samberg to pair with Morrissey, but with the positive contributions we've had from Stanley, and Niku's game tonight, the competition is getting a little stronger on the defensive front.

The Habs are a fragile team and we needed to keep them down. Hopefully the winning streak continues with the momentum the team is building.

I agree with everything you say here.

I’m really liking what Dubois brings to our team and totally agree we have three solid lines now (and really, the fourth line has done its job too). Dubois’s game — smart, physical, speedy play with good instincts and defense as well as underrated shooting and passing — both fits in well with what we’re already building and transforms us. Laine wasn’t a one-trick pony like people like to say, but he is far easier to neutralize. PLD can do everything well and is thus harder to shutdown. Teams are gonna be screwed when they put their top shutdown guy on someone like Ehlers or Scheif because then PLD will just feast. Laine couldn’t drive play — you could neutralize him; PLD, not so much. I still believe we gave up more value in the trade but Dubois is fitting like a glove.

I agree on Beaulieu too. It’s beating a dead horse but I’m not sure what he brings to the lineup at this point.

I’m gonna hold off on Niku. I was running him out of town earlier this year but he sure shut me up tonight. If he continues to play like this, things will be interesting on D. And at the expansion draft, at that.

With Vancouver crumbling, it’s looking like a five-horse race in the North for four spots. I like our chances. Let’s hopefully run through the Habs again and further distance ourselves.

We’ve got the Habs three more times plus the Canucks twice before the Toronto series — the Laffs and Oil are playing each other the next three games, so hopefully they avoid three point games and we can make a run at first or second in the division.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As a Frenchman, I've gotta love the First Frenchman to Frenchman goal in Winnipeg Jets history! (Assumed on Purr-oh to PLD Goal)

Niku, after lining up Ehlers with a suicide pass seemed pretty solid tonight, so much better than those early season games.

I very much look forward to Beaulieu & Forbort being fired off into the sun & replaced by Heinola & some combo of Stanley/Samburg!

Are we absolutely sure Patrice Cormier and Julien Brouillette didn’t hook-up for a tally a time or two? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Luc Labelle

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
He's always been a "fair-feathered" goon who could score pretty steadily, some years back. Now he is just an irrelevant Goon-wannabe!
I bet he doesn’t pull the cross check shit on Thompson or Lowry or even Wheeler......
He just goes after guys he feels he can pick on. Just like a school yard bully.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->