Speculation: Jets New Assistant Coach Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Kompton and Woodcroft are the only two that have been hired since Maurice got here?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Be interesting to know who picks the assistants. I'd think the HC would have an important if not final say, and yet when PoMo came on board he just went with the assistants who were already there. Does he go with an asst who will inform, broaden and sometimes even challenge his views, or with someone who has already bought into the philosophy/systems that the Jets preach, whatever they are?

I feel like the Jets coaching staff could use a tactical shakeup -- but history suggests that orgs don't typically choose to shake themselves up. Could be a real opportunity for positive change.

They have been here awhile.
The staff is getting close to being pensionable :sarcasm:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
interesting that the only assistant coach that is still here from the beginning is Huddy. All other assistants have been cycled.

Vincent became Woodcroft
Pearn became Kompton

We are going to be replacing Woodcroft this year.

Can anyone actually tell me why Huddy is still here?
Hasn’t Flaherty been here since the start?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
What about Paul MacLean? Believe he was let go by CBJ. Former Jack Adams winner. I think he ran CBJ’s PP though which was not good this year.

Reactions: John Agar

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Guys with ties to Maurice and TNSE? Yeesh..

Id think Tom Barasso. Maybe Arturs Irbe. Maybe guys like Arniel or Carlyle? I dunno.

Maybe they go US College route.. A few interesting guys there.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I just read on the main board that Mike Kitchen is apparently done with FLA after an incident involving a player. The guy is actually a good coach and been around for a long time with zero issues reported otherwise. Wonder if the Jets take him on, provided they do due diligence and satisfied with what they learn.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I just read on the main board that Mike Kitchen is apparently done with FLA after an incident involving a player. The guy is actually a good coach and been around for a long time with zero issues reported otherwise. Wonder if the Jets take him on, provided they do due diligence and satisfied with what they learn.
Or try look into offering K Bieksa??
I know he probably cherishes a couple more years as a TV analyst, but...he displays alot of knowledge of what he sees going on in-game, and offers key analytics to defensivd pluses and negatives going on, between periods. I see him being another potential excellent coach.

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Claude Noel! He can run the PP. Just let our creative players do whatever they want. Same thing he did as head coach,

Last edited:

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Rod Stewart ??:sarcasm:

Stuart Smalley. Laine could use some of this...

images

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd take a flyer on Kitchen for sure. Like you say, (otherwise) clean slate for 30 years and a damn good coach

Reactions: RustyCat

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd take a flyer on Kitchen for sure. Like you say, (otherwise) clean slate for 30 years and a damn good coach

He and Jamie Kompon worked together when Kitchen was the HC of STL back in '05 to '06 and in CHI as assistants from 2012 to 2014, so there is a little history there. That said, I am going to guess he is a guy in demand provided this all clears up.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see the team add a new assistant coach, maybe a new PP guy......who has some history as a creative offensive former player, who can relate to these high skill guys and can get more out of them on our PP.

Reactions: jetswin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Love to see the team add a new assistant coach, maybe a new PP guy......who has some history as a creative offensive former player, who can relate to these high skill guys and can get more out of them on our PP.

I would love to as well provided the coach has full autonomy to do what he wants with the PP. I liked what Kompton did with our PP in the preseason when Moe was gone a number of years ago so I don't neccessarily think he is a bad PP coach. I just always wonder just how much autonomy assistant coaches have.

I would like to see a more football based approach to coaching where it is your coordinators that are primarily responsible for deriving and running the systems on offense and defense. I think there is much less specialization that goes on in NHL coaching rooms.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Thorbs

Seriously, tho. I wonder if tnse uses this opportunity to bring in an heir for pomo. I can see there be some sort of transition where chevy becomes president of hockey operations and pomo to gm or vice versa. They seem to love these guys.
That would be the most TSNE thing ever! When the time comes I'd like to see them go outside the family.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You want a good PK, hire Guy Carbonneau. He also ran Montreal's PP when they were near the top. Only problem is his accent is pretty thick, not sure anyone but Perreault would understand him.

I wonder what Jim Slater is doing these days? He could probably coach the PK, pretty likeable guy too, which always helps.

Not so much about assistants, but what do people think of Pascal Vincent as a coach? Should he be replaced, as we have had trouble with our higher end draft picks climbing the ladder?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Wasn't he one of the guys first interviewed for the head coaching position, he goes back to the Hawks with Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->