Speculation: Jets New Assistant Coach Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think the Jets should focus on getting any assistant coach that can motivate and guide Laine and KVes and Heinola to maximize their potential.

Agreed.....that was partly my reasoning, albeit Im not sure either Finnish coaches relationship with both players.....but I thought it would help and they legitimately bring coaching skills to help the entire team.

Reactions: Mbraunm and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If I recall Woodcroft seemed to be deployed in a more skill development/work with young player role. I think he spent a lot of time in Europe coaching as well which probably played a role in his hiring.

So yeah I think whoever is brought in is going to likely need to know how to work with our younger players and have experience working with European players.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I was surprised in Vincent's interview how much coaching is done on the psychological side these days. Mental preparation and evaluation seems to be something that True North takes alot of interest in.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't one of Woodcroft's duties as coach to work with the centres. If I were hiring an assistant coach, Adam Oates would be my first choice, but I think there are some other options. If Little is LTIR'd I'd still give him the job. Being behind the bench is a good way to stay in hockey once your career is done.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Hmmm I’m just going to come out and say it.. does it matter ?? Don’t see him bringing any change just preaching what he is told

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I was surprised in Vincent's interview how much coaching is done on the psychological side these days. Mental preparation and evaluation seems to be something that True North takes alot of interest in.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't one of Woodcroft's duties as coach to work with the centres. If I were hiring an assistant coach, Adam Oates would be my first choice, but I think there are some other options. If Little is LTIR'd I'd still give him the job. Being behind the bench is a good way to stay in hockey once your career is done.

Well Oates is likely very preoccupied with his company but I would like a skill development coach brought in.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes, he's done wonders eliminating that undesirable 200' game from his client Scheifele. :sarcasm:

That's one way to look at it. Don't think the Jets ever had a 14 goal scorer in the playoffs before though. Might be a testament to conditioning.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Be interesting to know who picks the assistants. I'd think the HC would have an important if not final say, and yet when PoMo came on board he just went with the assistants who were already there. Does he go with an asst who will inform, broaden and sometimes even challenge his views, or with someone who has already bought into the philosophy/systems that the Jets preach, whatever they are?

I feel like the Jets coaching staff could use a tactical shakeup -- but history suggests that orgs don't typically choose to shake themselves up. Could be a real opportunity for positive change.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
interesting that the only assistant coach that is still here from the beginning is Huddy. All other assistants have been cycled.

Vincent became Woodcroft
Pearn became Kompton

We are going to be replacing Woodcroft this year.

Can anyone actually tell me why Huddy is still here?

Reactions: Mathil8

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
interesting that the only assistant coach that is still here from the beginning is Huddy. All other assistants have been cycled.

Vincent became Woodcroft
Pearn became Kompton

We are going to be replacing Woodcroft this year.

Can anyone actually tell me why Huddy is still here?

The coaches they left all had their own reasons. Or a plan to keep them in the org. None have been fired .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad