STL - 6
DAL - 2 *tie breaker clinched
CGY - clinched
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Tie breaker ROW difference (Jets 42)

DAL - 8GR +8 (we also control next tie breaker 4-0)
STL - 9GR +5
LAK - 8GR +4
ANA - 8GR +8
COL - 9GR +3

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Earliest possible clinch is now Saturday if:

Kings lose in regulation to both Avs on Thursday and Oilers Saturday and:

Jets beat the Ducks on Friday in any manner

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
March 22 - Magic number update

COL - 7 * currently 1st wild card
ANA - 7 * currently 2nd wild card
LAK - 6 * currently 3rd in Pacific
STL - 6
DAL - 2 *tie breaker clinched
CGY - clinched
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Tie breaker ROW difference (Jets 42)

DAL - 8GR +8 (we also control next tie breaker 4-0)
STL - 9GR +5
LAK - 7GR +3
ANA - 8GR +8
COL - 8GR +3

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
Conference updates:
Damian Echevarrieta (@Ech28) | Twitter
Not a lot of games left, but still a lot can happen in the standings. St.Louis and Dallas have some work to do.

DY8qWB5WAAAmXlR.jpg

DY8qSSGX4AE-JTu.jpg

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
March 23- Magic number update

COL - 5* currently 2ndwild card
LAK - 4* currently 3rd in Pacific
STL - 4
ANA - 3 *currently 1st wild card
DAL - clinched
CGY - clinched
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Tie breaker ROW difference (Jets 43)

ANA - 7GR +9 (tie breaker clinched)
STL - 8GR +5
LAK - 7GR +4
COL - 8GR +4

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Can clinch as early as Sunday with:

Jets win in any manner and a Ducks Loss in any manner

or

A Ducks regulation loss and a Jets OT or SO loss.

We can also clinch Sunday with:

A Blues loss in regulation to Columbus on Saturday and a Jets win in any manner on Sunday

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Jets win and a Ducks Loss in any manner

or

I'm not holding my breath that the Oilers will do us a favour on Sunday, but they have been better of late.

Would the same scenario not playout for clinching if the Blues lose tomorrow night and we win Sunday? ?

Reactions: Aavco Cup

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm also going to start tracking our magic number for home ice in the first round. For this one all teams numbers need to reach zero.

Home Ice Magic Number

MIN - 9
COL - 5
STL - 4

Tie Breaker ROW difference (Jets 43)

STL - 8GR +5
COL - 8GR +4
MIN - 9GR +5

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Jets win in any manner and a Ducks Loss in any manner

or

We can also clinch Sunday with:

A Blues loss in regulation to Columbus on Saturday and a Jets win in any manner on Sunday
Actually a Jets win clinches it.
Maximum points each can get:
Avs ....... 104
Kings .... 103
Ducks ... 103
Blues ..... 103
All 4 teams play each other ... 4 games in total and if all of the games go into OT somebody loses a point in each game ... one team either Avs, Kings or Ducks WILL lose 2 points.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Actually a Jets win clinches it.
Maximum points each can get:
Avs ....... 104
Kings .... 103
Ducks ... 103
Blues ..... 103
All 4 teams play each other ... 4 games in total and if all of the games go into OT somebody loses a point in each game ... one team either Avs, Kings or Ducks WILL lose 2 points.

So the maximum number of points that the Avs, Kings, Ducks and Blues can collectively get is 413. Because there are 4 games left where they play each other, the actual maximum number is 409. If any of them lose a game tonight the maximum number goes to 407, meaning at least one them could end up the season with no more than 101 points. Therefore, if any of Kings, Avs or Blues lose tonight we clinch with a win against Nashville on Sunday. I think that might be a fun game to be at :)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So the maximum number of points that the Avs, Kings, Ducks and Blues can collectively get is 413. Because there are 4 games left where they play each other, the actual maximum number is 409. If any of them lose a game tonight the maximum number goes to 407, meaning at least one them could end up the season with no more than 101 points. Therefore, if any of Kings, Avs or Blues lose tonight we clinch with a win against Nashville on Sunday. I think that might be a fun game to be at :)

Not sure the Avs losing today has any impact. They can still finish tied in points with us even with a loss and a Jets win on Sunday and could still control the tiebreaker.

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Remember those days where a team could be 20 games below .500 and still make it to the playoffs? LMAO.
In around ‘82-‘83 to ‘83-84 the Jets were getting into the playoffs with like 59 points. You had to be last in your division to miss the playoffs.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Not sure the Avs losing today has any impact. They can still finish tied in points with us even with a loss and a Jets win on Sunday and could still control the tiebreaker.
If the Avs lose today, to finish up tied with the Jets they would have to win all of their remaining games against the Kings, Ducks and Blues. If the Kings and Ducks lose in overtime to the Avs the most points they could have would be 102 which would tie the Jets if the Jets win tomorrow. However, the Kings and Ducks still play each other so one of them would drop to under 102 points. Ergo, if the Av lose tonight the Jets will clinch with a win tomorrow. Same goes for losses tonight by the Kings or Blues.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
If the Avs lose today, to finish up tied with the Jets they would have to win all of their remaining games against the Kings, Ducks and Blues. If the Kings and Ducks lose in overtime to the Avs the most points they could have would be 102 which would tie the Jets if the Jets win tomorrow. However, the Kings and Ducks still play each other so one of them would drop to under 102 points. Ergo, if the Av lose tonight the Jets will clinch with a win tomorrow. Same goes for losses tonight by the Kings or Blues.

I am aware of how unlikely it is. Just that it doesn’t really impact anything. They could finish ahead of the Jets regardless of the outcome tonight.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
I am aware of how unlikely it is. Just that it doesn’t really impact anything. They could finish ahead of the Jets regardless of the outcome tonight.
Not to beat a dead horse, especially when it is now a virtual certainty that we are playoff bound, but this is the magic number thread and if any of the Avs, Kings or Blues lose today the Jets need just 1 win to clinch. Whether the Avs end up ahead of the Jets or not is a different conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad