Jets Magic Number?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Its 3...

Any combo of 3 jets wins or 3 losses by the 9th place team.

Not correct

Three Jet wins doesn't eliminate St Louis. Our magic number with them is 8. It would be enough with Dallas however because of the ROW difference.

Tomorrow I'll begin factoring in tie breakers

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He said "Combo"

Yes I understand what he said.

2 wins and 1 St Louis loss does not clinch as the magic number is currently 8 (most likely 7 with the tie breaker scenarios) 0 Jet wins and 3 StLouis loses does not clinch. No combination adding up to 3 does that.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
March 18- Magic number update (tiebreakers not considered)

COL - 11 * currently 1st wild card
ANA - 9 * currently 3rd in Pacific
LAK - 9 * currently 2nd wild card
STL - 8
DAL - 7
CGY - 3
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Anaheim leapfrogged the Kings

Current playoff matchups

NSH - LAK
WPG - MIN

VGK - COL
SJS - ANA

Jetster231

Mar 6, 2018
Can you imagine if LA took out the Preds in Round 1? LA Has been there before. They know how to play playoff hockey.

Reactions: purdy44

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Can you imagine if LA took out the Preds in Round 1? LA Has been there before. They know how to play playoff hockey.

There's a lot of hockey to play before the matchups are set in stone. Other than WPG - MIN everything else is pretty fluid in the west.

Reactions: purdy44

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Preds out in Rd 1 is pretty much the dream. LA could reasonably do it, but Ana has a better shot IMO. If they weren't injured so badly to start the year, then they'd be alot further up in the standings.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
March 19 - Magic number update

LAK - 9 * currently 3rd in Pacific
ANA - 9 * currently 2nd wild card
STL - 8
DAL - 7
CGY - 1
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Tie breaker ROW difference (Jets 41)

CGY - 8GR +8
DAL - 9GR +7
STL - 10GR +5
ANA - 9GR +8
LAK - 9GR +3
COL - 10GR +3

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Poor Calgary ... I have not watched too many Flame games but the ones I saw they looked great. They remind me of last year's Jets ... great one game and crap the bed the next one.
So basically 2 teams need to be eliminated for the Jets to clinched a playoff spot ... StL and Dal?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
March 19 - Magic number update

LAK - 9 * currently 3rd in Pacific
ANA - 9 * currently 2nd wild card
STL - 8
DAL - 7
CGY - 1
CHI - clinched
EDM - clinched
VAN - clinched
ARI - clinched

Tie breaker ROW difference (Jets 41)

CGY - 8GR +8
DAL - 9GR +7
STL - 10GR +5
ANA - 9GR +8
LAK - 9GR +3
COL - 10GR +3

what are the numbers representing?

Colorado 11
lak 9
etc

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Colorado 11
lak 9
etc

Colorado 11 = any combination of 11 points gained by the Jets or lost by the Avs

Magic number (sports) - Wikipedia

In certain sports, a magic number is a number used to indicate how close a front-running team is to clinching a division title and/or a playoff spot. It represents the total of additional wins by the front-running team or additional losses (or any combination thereof) by the rival teams after which it is mathematically impossible for the rival teams to capture the title in the remaining number of games (assuming some highly unlikely occurrence such as disqualification or expulsion from the competition or retroactive forfeiture of games does not occur).

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
Conference updates:
DYtPOseW0AAaPeD.jpg

DYtPFjcW0AEEOeJ.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Preds would skate the Kings out of the arena, but the playoffs are unpredictable, particularly in the first round, it seems.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Colorado 11
lak 9
etc

Those numbers represent the combined point total required (points gained by the Jets and lost by the other team) for the Jets to be mathematically assured of finishing ahead of that team

Example

Calgary has 80 points and 8 games remaining. The maximum points they can achieve is 96. The Jets already have 96 points. If the Jets gain one point or Calgary fails to gain one point. They can no longer finish ahead of the Jets. Magic number = 1

Once that occurs for seven teams on this list the Jets will clinch a playoff berth.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Colorado 11 = any combination of 11 points gained by the Jets or lost by the Avs

Magic number (sports) - Wikipedia

Those numbers represent the combined point total required (points gained by the Jets and lost by the other team) for the Jets to be mathematically assured of finishing ahead of that team

Example

Calgary has 80 points and 8 games remaining. The maximum points they can achieve is 96. The Jets already have 96 points. If the Jets gain one point or Calgary fails to gain one point. They can no longer finish ahead of the Jets. Magic number = 1

Once that occurs for seven teams on this list the Jets will clinch a playoff berth.

thanks for the clarifying that for me

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Preds out in Rd 1 is pretty much the dream. LA could reasonably do it, but Ana has a better shot IMO. If they weren't injured so badly to start the year, then they'd be alot further up in the standings.

Win or lose, either of those teams could wear down the Preds with a heavy game. If it makes our path a little easier I won't complain. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad