OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So my column this week is about the greatest Canadian Athlete.

Just wanted to get opinions of the people on HFJets on who they would pick.

I wanted to keep it to actual on field stuff, so I didn't pick Rick Hansen or Terry Fox, who I believe transcend the question.

I had two picks, and am very happy with them.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I wanted to keep it to actual on field stuff, so I didn't pick Rick Hansen or Terry Fox, who I believe transcend the question.

I know that what Clara Hughes accomplished winning multiple medals in both summer and Winter Olympics is pretty ****ing amazing. I know she is probably not on your list but when you combine it with her bravery off the ice taking such a high profile role in talking about her mental health challenges there is probably nobody I have more respect for.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
One of my favourite things about my job is the music my students bring to the classroom. I have a Colombian who plays in a vallenato band, and once you get past the squealing accordions I don't think a single genre has made me grin so much.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Penny Oleksiak, Cindy Klassen, Clara Hughes, Sid, Steve Nash, Gretz, Catorina Le-May Doan, me, Jennifer Jones' rink, Mike Weir, Milos Raonic

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I know that what Clara Hughes accomplished winning multiple medals in both summer and Winter Olympics is pretty ****ing amazing. I know she is probably not on your list but when you combine it with her bravery off the ice taking such a high profile role in talking about her mental health challenges there is probably nobody I have more respect for.

She was one of my two. Only Olympian with the multiple medal honour makes her arguably the greatest Olympian of all time, never mind Canadian.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Penny Oleksiak, Cindy Klassen, Clara Hughes, Sid, Steve Nash, Gretz, Catorina Le-May Doan, me, Jennifer Jones' rink, Mike Weir, Milos Raonic

I didn't even consider them, because they are still active. Sid will never have a chance to be considered GOAT, because if you're gunna pick a hockey player, you just pick Gretzky.

Surprised no mention of my second choice, considering he has a Manitoba connection as well. I bet people would be surprised at it, considering my age :laugh:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Lionel Conacher

- 1921 Grey Cup
- International League Baseball championship in 1926
- Memorial Cup in 1920
- Stanley Cup 1934, 1935
- he won wrestling, boxing and lacrosse championships during his playing career.
- 1 of only 2 people to win both Stanley Cup and Grey Cup
- member of the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame (1955), the Canadian Football Hall of Fame (1963), the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame (1966), and Hockey Hall of Fame (1994).
- The award for the Canadian Press Canadian male athlete of the year is called the Lionel Conacher Award

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
My current podcast subscriptions consist of something like this:
Hockey: Don Cherry, Illegal Curve, Marik and W., hockey central at noon, Bob McKenzie.
Comedy: Trailer Park Boys

Anyone want to make some recommendations for a gaming (PS4 focused if possible), and TV/Movie review podcasts? There use to be a Wpg (CJOB?) based movie review podcast, but it disappeared a few years ago.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
I didn't even consider them, because they are still active. Sid will never have a chance to be considered GOAT, because if you're gunna pick a hockey player, you just pick Gretzky.

Surprised no mention of my second choice, considering he has a Manitoba connection as well. I bet people would be surprisyed at it, considering my age :laugh:

Sam Fabro? Not really an athlete per say but was a pretty influential builder at the provincial level.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Lionel Conacher

- 1921 Grey Cup
- International League Baseball championship in 1926
- Memorial Cup in 1920
- Stanley Cup 1934, 1935
- he won wrestling, boxing and lacrosse championships during his playing career.
- 1 of only 2 people to win both Stanley Cup and Grey Cup
- member of the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame (1955), the Canadian Football Hall of Fame (1963), the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame (1966), and Hockey Hall of Fame (1994).
- The award for the Canadian Press Canadian male athlete of the year is called the Lionel Conacher Award

Interesting. I picked the other person to win the SC and Grey cup, because he did it in the same year, but listing out Conacher's accomplishments makes me think I made a mistake. Definitely a good choice either way.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Interesting. I picked the other person to win the SC and Grey cup, because he did it in the same year, but listing out Conacher's accomplishments makes me think I made a mistake. Definitely a good choice either way.

I would've picked Howe or Gretzky, but you really can't go wrong with Gerry James! :thumbu:

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I would've picked Howe or Gretzky, but you really can't go wrong with Gerry James! :thumbu:

You won't find a bigger Gretzky fan than me, but I don't know what impact he had off the ice in Canada. He was much more important to being a global ambassador for hockey, than being a great canadian athlete.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not quite sure where to put this so I'm putting it here.

Would it be ok if I started a poll to see if people are sick of having thread topics always having a poll associated with them? :sarcasm:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Not quite sure where to put this so I'm putting it here.

Would it be ok if I started a poll to see if people are sick of having thread topics always having a poll associated with them? :sarcasm:

I like polls, but I'm sick of having threads associated with them. Can't we just select an option without all the damn chatter? ;)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I dislike polls immensely. I wouldn't presume my uneducated opinion about a matter to be worth just the same as those of them who have very solid and knowledgeable backing to theirs. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I dislike polls immensely. I wouldn't presume my uneducated opinion about a matter to be worth just the same as those of them who have very solid and knowledgeable backing to theirs. [mod]

It's the wisdom of the crowd; the foundation of democracy; the invisible hand of free markets.

Look at the HFJets 2013 prospect poll results. 9 of the top 10 have played at least 50 games in the NHL (and the one who hasn't, Telegin, is a decent KHLer and international player for Russia). That's a pretty good hit rate.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's the wisdom of the crowd; the foundation of democracy; the invisible hand of free markets.

Look at the HFJets 2013 prospect poll results. 9 of the top 10 have played at least 50 games in the NHL (and the one who hasn't, Telegin, is a decent KHLer and international player for Russia). That's a pretty good hit rate.

I find the quality of the poll questions makes or breaks it. All polls are not created equal. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I was rather thinking the Polls boards ones, where the motivations of participants to pick an option are all over.l the place. Team board polls certainly can have the quality you mention there. Though on personal level my approach still applies for me.

Also, polls are kind of anathema to sports. You really don't get to decide if A > B; the players have the rink for settling up any of those questions themselves.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Hard to pick one. I'll qualify three:

Amateur/Olympic: Clara Hughes
Professional: Wayne Gretzky
Spiritual: Terry Fox

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Got my safety glasses... got my hotels booked... all ready for the 2017 Total Eclipse ( or the Great American Traffic Jam as some are calling it ). I've seen one before , but my son hasn't, so that's the reason for the trip.

August 21, 2017 coast to coast in the US

2024 will be the next one in North America ( south east US ).

2044 will be the next one in Canada ( Alberta )

2099 will be the next one close to Winnipeg ( right thru downtown Fargo )

2891 will be the next one thru Winnipeg

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Got my safety glasses... got my hotels booked... all ready for the 2017 Total Eclipse ( or the Great American Traffic Jam as some are calling it ). I've seen one before , but my son hasn't, so that's the reason for the trip.

August 21, 2017 coast to coast in the US

2024 will be the next one in North America ( south east US ).

2044 will be the next one in Canada ( Alberta )

2099 will be the next one close to Winnipeg ( right thru downtown Fargo )

2891 will be the next one thru Winnipeg

Hey, us too. We're heading down to St. Louis. Where are you going to catch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad