OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I wouldn't be surprised if the media personalities that cover the Jets follow this board. It's a good way to take the pulse of the fanbase and less trolly than twitter. I doubt the Jets brass or players visit this place though.

When Lawless used to cover the Jets, it was funny how many HFBoards narratives would find their way to his coverage.

I'd all but guarantee it. Much of the analysis and ideas put forth by guys like Whilee and others seem to be spun into articles a couple of days later in the locals. They're doing more than taking the pulse, they're rewording the analysis that occurs here and presenting it as their own. While it's unfortunate that the locals don't get credit, at least it's better to read than hot takes and helps educate the public.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Feels good :)

MPWDLGFGAGDPTS
1Liverpool1613303462842
2Manchester City1613214593641
3Tottenham Hotspur16120430161436
4Chelsea16104233132034
5Arsenal16104235201534
6Manchester United167542826226
7Everton156542117423
8Bournemouth167272526-123
9Leicester City166462120122
10West Ham United166372325-221
11Brighton and Hove Albion166371922-321
12Watford156271821-320
13Wolves165561619-320
14Newcastle United163581321-814
15Cardiff City1642101530-1514
16Crystal Palace1633101323-1012
17Burnley1633101532-1712
18Huddersfield Town1624101027-1710
19Southampton161691330-179
20Fulham1623111640-249
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Count me in, I always enjoy watching the Christmas Footy fixtures over the holidays. Lifelong Liverpool fan, even though all but 2 of my family there are bluenoses (another sweet derby win, well done Pickford)! Who wouldn't miss a player like Coutinho, but I think they're getting on without him just fine, in some ways more balance. Need to figure out that attacking midfield though, good to see Keita get in on the action against Burnley. He could be the missing piece as he gets more comfortable. Going to miss Gomez, especially with City coming up, would be a good time for Joel Matip to show the type of player he should be, if not, hope Lovren is fit. Agree that Shaqiri should see more action, he's a sparkplug for sure and very creative but I think Keita takes this team to a different place in the new year.

United suffering goes straight to my veins, nothing better.

Brilliant post. I feel like we are family haha.

PS - that Pickford mishap was legendary. Absolutely defined the way the derby's go. Agree with Keita...or at least that is my hope. Offence hasn't been firing as much as I'd have hoped, though Salah's hattie was wonderful.

Reactions: Ducky10

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Oh yeah, I forgot that you guys have actual predators up there. :laugh:

Thanks for the input guys, now I know more about Winnipeg cat laws than I ever expected too. No laws like that here as far as I know, except for perhaps some rules around desexing. If only the cats knew the difference between native and introduced birds.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Just got back from the Honda center after seeing ducks beat devils in shootout. They have a very nice arena - lots of parking around it ($20 though), wide concourse, variety of food options, decent seating size depth wide, and fantastic sight lines. My tickets in the lower bowl corner were $50 + fees on stub hub. One thing that was bizarre - woman on aisle was breastfeeding her kid the entire game while drinking beer. Guy walks up the aisle, steps on her jumbo beer can, and seems oblivious that there is beer spraying like a hose all over the place.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Note sure where to post this, but I thought it interesting as I have never seen these quotes from Chipman before:

https://www.tsn.ca/defining-gary-bettman-1.1208410

“In 2010, we spent a week in New York and, for all intents and purposes, completed a deal to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and bring them back to Winnipeg. It was contingent on the City of Glendale not coming up with a ton of money, which they did.

“On the day you find out you’re not getting the team after an intense process, normally you would be crushed – it was almost in our grasp. We even went as far as planning a press conference for the next day in Winnipeg to make the announcement. But there was actually a great deal of relief when we found out the Coyotes were staying.

“Gary said something to me like, ‘I’m giving you a coupon for the next NHL franchise.’

“We joked, ‘Does that coupon have an expiry date?’ I was relieved because there was no doubt whatsoever. We were getting a team – because he said so. His word was sacred there.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Note sure where to post this, but I thought it interesting as I have never seen these quotes from Chipman before:

“In 2010, we spent a week in New York and, for all intents and purposes, completed a deal to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and bring them back to Winnipeg. It was contingent on the City of Glendale not coming up with a ton of money, which they did.

“On the day you find out you’re not getting the team after an intense process, normally you would be crushed – it was almost in our grasp. We even went as far as planning a press conference for the next day in Winnipeg to make the announcement. But there was actually a great deal of relief when we found out the Coyotes were staying.

“Gary said something to me like, ‘I’m giving you a coupon for the next NHL franchise.’

“We joked, ‘Does that coupon have an expiry date?’ I was relieved because there was no doubt whatsoever. We were getting a team – because he said so. His word was sacred there.

I had heard the first part before. Had not heard about the coupon.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Thank you for posting this.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Anyone have a GoPro or any advice on what to get? My trusty old Olympus sport just developed a green screen of death (I had no idea cameras could do that). Vacation next week.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
roccerfeller said:
Did not know you and Holden knew each other haha! That's awesome!!

My cousin's cat is a hunter. He knows how to hunt mice. Whereas, My gf's cats are super domestic. I don't think they would react any different from that orange cat in the gif lol

Sounds like your cats instincts are kicking in though....i find it so cool when cats hunt mice. Like a mini animal planet episode

We actually met through HFboards. I messaged her one time (when I was drunk, tbh but she knows that) and we hit it off. Now we've lived together for 3 years or so. So yeah, hfboards matchmaker ;).

LadyJet has a cat we live with. He is good at sensing the mice, complete garbage at catching them. He tries his damnest, but he's never caught one that I've seen haha, albeit LadyJet told me he caught one in his youth.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have never eaten at a Jets game, mostly due to costs... But, after reading this , I think I have another reason not to... read at your own discomfort :popcorn:

Slime, roaches, mice found at stadium food venues

I found this part interesting.

One venue that ranked at the bottom for food-safety compliance in both reports was Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays, which, until this year, had a contract with Centerplate, a concession and food service provider headquartered in Connecticut.

Guess who is the supplier of all Bell MTS Place food and beverage services.... Centerplate... just sayin'

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Whenever really. I’ve seen them in sports stores around down here but not a Jets one. Just your typical Blackhawks or Penguins. Haven’t looked online yet.

Let me see what I can find out.

Reactions: Duke749
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad