Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
FWIW I heard The FDA just approved a 15 minute test (which can be administered at a pharmacy like CVS) to test for Covid. The cost will be $5.00. Results are sent immediately to your phone's free app in a QR Code. The code will be read by readers at points of entry like airplanes, office buildings, restaurants, stadiums, etc.
Abbott Labs receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization for 15-minute COVID-19 Antigen test.

I will continue to monitor the news and I will delete Or modify my message if the source I trust is wrong.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
FWIW I heard The FDA just approved a 15 minute test (which can be administered at a pharmacy like CVS) to test for Covid. The cost will be $5.00. Results are sent immediately to your phone's free app in a QR Code. The code will be read by readers at points of entry like airplanes, office buildings, restaurants, stadiums, etc.
Abbott Labs receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization for 15-minute COVID-19 Antigen test.

I will continue to monitor the news and I will delete Or modify my message if the source I trust is wrong.

I don't believe this will be allowed for use in Canada. Interesting information if it proves accurate, but we have issues north of the border with our regulatory bodies that becomes a political discussion and so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: ps241

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah I don't even think we can use that app the government of Canada put out can we?

I just started driving for transit since the pandemic. We aren't being forced to wear masks but it's recommended. I wear glasses and the masks I've tried just end up fogging my glasses. Dunno if I'm just a hot breather or something. I do wear when riding the bus when we can't distance.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ok, sort of an unseasonable question and I apologize for the implications but...

Does anyone have studded winter tires and if so do you see value in them?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Yeah I don't even think we can use that app the government of Canada put out can we?

I just started driving for transit since the pandemic. We aren't being forced to wear masks but it's recommended. I wear glasses and the masks I've tried just end up fogging my glasses. Dunno if I'm just a hot breather or something. I do wear when riding the bus when we can't distance.

I'm a glasses wearer too and masks have been a bit of a pain. I find going with a mask that fits tightly across my nose and cheeks but is a bit big otherwise helps, because the air will escape more out the side or bottom. I don't know if that's completely sanitary but it's better than being uncovered that's for sure.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok, sort of an unseasonable question and I apologize for the implications but...

I put on non studded winter tires for the first time last year and the difference is incredible. I feel like an idiot for waiting this long.

Reactions: Gm0ney

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I put on non studded winter tires for the first time last year and the difference is incredible. I feel like an idiot for waiting this long.

Agreed, I've been using pure winter tires for many years now. I think overall, the rubber compound that stays flexible at cold temps and the siping provide much more benefits under normal driving conditions than studs. I'm personally opposed to stud use because it is quite damaging to the road infrastructure. I've seen parking structures with signs up saying no studded tires allowed. If you're doing a lot of driving on ice-covered highways that's one thing, but for use in the city? I just don't think the pros outweigh the cons. The days where our roads are glare ice skating rinks are few and far between.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Agreed, I've been using pure winter tires for many years now. I think overall, the rubber compound that stays flexible at cold temps and the siping provide much more benefits under normal driving conditions than studs. I'm personally opposed to stud use because it is quite damaging to the road infrastructure. I've seen parking structures with signs up saying no studded tires allowed. If you're doing a lot of driving on ice-covered highways that's one thing, but for use in the city? I just don't think the pros outweigh the cons. The days where our roads are glare ice skating rinks are few and far between.
I used to drive to Carman from Winnipeg every day for work, so studs made sense, but I'm inclined to agree they aren't really necessary. I was mostly looking for reinforcement of that opinion, so thank.s

I've been on winter tires since 1999 and the difference to me has been quite amazing. When I was doing those drives to the country, the initial $$ outlay was quite painful but ultimately I found that I went through summer tires more slowly so it balanced out in the end. But then I've always kept my cars a long time, so I'm not switching tire sizes making my old winters unusable.

I need them for my car this year. I ran without them last year and it wasn't bad, but my all seasons were brand new. Very noticeable difference though.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I used to drive to Carman from Winnipeg every day for work, so studs made sense, but I'm inclined to agree they aren't really necessary. I was mostly looking for reinforcement of that opinion, so thank.s

I've been on winter tires since 1999 and the difference to me has been quite amazing. When I was doing those drives to the country, the initial $$ outlay was quite painful but ultimately I found that I went through summer tires more slowly so it balanced out in the end. But then I've always kept my cars a long time, so I'm not switching tire sizes making my old winters unusable.

I need them for my car this year. I ran without them last year and it wasn't bad, but my all seasons were brand new. Very noticeable difference though.
Got a Escalade last October and didn't use winter tires, i'm getting winter tires this winter. What's the use of a 4x4 if you spin all the time. :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Got a Escalade last October and didn't use winter tires, i'm getting winter tires this winter. What's the use of a 4x4 if you spin all the time. :laugh:

I have an Escalade and as I mentioned I got Winter tires for the first time last year and wow what a difference.

Last edited:

drew77

Oct 11, 2011

Our latest set of winter tires on our SUV are studded Nokian tires.

They are hands down the most effective winter tire we have ever used. Phenomenal. You literally do not need to change how you drive in the winter - the tires bite and bite hard. And still bite after 4 full winters.

If you can deal with the additional road noise and the slight scratches to your garage/driveway surface - Nokian studded all day every day. (Nokian non-studded are the next best choice).

Reactions: buggs

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Our latest set of winter tires on our SUV are studded Nokian tires.

They are hands down the most effective winter tire we have ever used. Phenomenal. You literally do not need to change how you drive in the winter - the tires bite and bite hard. And still bite after 4 full winters.

If you can deal with the additional road noise and the slight scratches to your garage/driveway surface - Nokian studded all day every day. (Nokian non-studded are the next best choice).

Well, here's the thing with that approach. You may be able to still stop on a dime, the car behind you without studded tires won't. Sure, MPI will clear you of fault when you're rear-ended, if that's all that matters to you. You still have to deal with the whole PITA process of putting in a claim and getting repairs done. And there's always the chance MPI just might decide to write off your vehicle. You could also end up with a whiplash injury. And while you may not care about the damage you are causing to your property, a lot of people care (or should) about the damage cars with studded tires are causing to public roads that our tax dollars go toward maintaining. Or not, this is Winnipeg. And did you know studs actually increase stopping distance on dry pavement, of which there is still quite a bit of during the winter months?

Whatever, your choice. Hope it still keeps working out for you.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Superstore ticked me off today. I'm standing at the "wait here" line to be directed to the next free checkout and the person whose job it is to do that was too damn lazy to walk back and forth, look at the progress of the lines and direct people to the one that looks closest to being done. She's just all like, oh there's no lineup just go pick any checkout. Like f*** right off! Even after covid ends, I'm not too keen on going back to the old ways where it's a god damn free for all and you take your chances on getting a line that looks like it will move quickly. Of course, I picked a line where I got behind a "slow packer". :mad:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm a glasses wearer too and masks have been a bit of a pain. I find going with a mask that fits tightly across my nose and cheeks but is a bit big otherwise helps, because the air will escape more out the side or bottom. I don't know if that's completely sanitary but it's better than being uncovered that's for sure.

Yes, my trick is to use a mask with that wire so you can form it around the bridge of your nose. Wearing the mask high on the bridge and wearing my glasses a bit lower down seems to work well for me. But I'm generally only wearing the mask while in a store for a few minutes. I don't know if this would work for wearing a mask all day on the job.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wearing a mask sucks but when you are doing physical labor jobs it really sucks. Too hot, falls down all the time when bending and crouching , i know we have no choice but man i hate it. Can't wait to see how the masks hold up in -40 weather.:laugh:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Back to school in Europe and I can tell you, teaching in a mask in 30+ degrees with no aircon is not great. Social distancing is harder to maintain too.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Wearing a mask sucks but when you are doing physical labor jobs it really sucks. Too hot, falls down all the time when bending and crouching , i know we have no choice but man i hate it. Can't wait to see how the masks hold up in -40 weather.:laugh:

Back to school in Europe and I can tell you, teaching in a mask in 30+ degrees with no aircon is not great. Social distancing is harder to maintain too.

Just cut a slit in the front. Nobody will notice. :nod:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So 2 people got Covid 19 at the Gateway Superstore, how when everyone has to wear masks? I'll tell you how, we are expanding our click and collect at all stores and the construction guys aren't wearing masks, nice eh . Turns out one employee and one construction guy are infected, gee i wonder why.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So 2 people got Covid 19 at the Gateway Superstore, how when everyone has to wear masks? I'll tell you how, we are expanding our click and collect at all stores and the construction guys aren't wearing masks, nice eh . Turns out one employee and one construction guy are infected, gee i wonder why.

How? Well let's consider some possibilities.

The first possibility is that they were independently infected elsewhere and being in the same workplace is just coincidence.

Barring that, let's consider the likelihood of transmission within the workplace. In general, construction areas are off limits to non-construction people for the purposes of safety and insurance compliance. There should be no reason why your co-worker would be anywhere near the trades people for extended periods.

So, I have to ask... are they both smokers? Cause right there I see the big red flags. Smokers tend to congregate, even if they don't know each other. It's that kindred spirit, us against a world that hates us thing. And think about it? What do smokers do? They expel their breath long distances after taking a puff, much more than if you are breathing out normally. So, a 2 metre separation may be adequate under normal circumstances but not when you're near somebody going phoooosh with every second breath as they try to cram as much nicotine into their systems in the short time they're allotted for their smoke breaks.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Yes, my trick is to use a mask with that wire so you can form it around the bridge of your nose. Wearing the mask high on the bridge and wearing my glasses a bit lower down seems to work well for me. But I'm generally only wearing the mask while in a store for a few minutes. I don't know if this would work for wearing a mask all day on the job.

Yeah I've tried those ones with the wire but I have to have my glasses so low that it's not really an option while driving.

I ordered this cloth off Amazon that's supposed to keep your glasses from fogging. Have had 2 people tell me it works. We'll see. I haven't had luck with wipes/sprays in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad