Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Buddy of mine (who I used to go to Thrashers games with and now lives in Colorado) ran into Jim Nil today at the golf course. Apparently he’s got a house out there. Told my buddy he should have told him to keep up the good work. :laugh:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
lol, remember this ?? :laugh:

This dude is flat out excellent. He would give Bill Murray a run for his money, bringing out the fortified lounge lizard ..."star wars, cute little staaaaaaar wars".

Even the cheerleaders are politely puzzled. It sounds like a sunday school mosh sung by disinterested tykes.

Reactions: SUX2BU

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Great to hear and i totally get it but we will get a form of Jets hockey soon. :nod: We can always use humor as far as i'm concerned especially with what's going on in the world right now, i would rather laugh than be pissed off or sad whenever possible. :thumbu:

I've never heard or seen that before, the crows were making a totally different sound and maaaaan were they loud. Even though that owl was huge i kind of feel sorry for it now. Crows are bastards , i always see them fighting seagulls over garbage in the parking lot at work.

Owls will predate crows, too. Of course they are super stealthy, with wings adapted for noiseless flight, and with darkness on their side can really take it to them.

P.S. I hope you are doing well @Jets 31 ... surviving these silly times?

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Owls will predate crows, too. Of course they are super stealthy, with wings adapted for noiseless flight, and with darkness on their side can really take it to them.

P.S. I hope you are doing well @Jets 31 ... surviving these silly times?
Oh these are definitely silly times, can't wait for a vaccine so we can try and get back to some form of normalcy. Thanks for asking, come on down to the Humor or Music thread for a good giggle and some good music. :laugh:

Reactions: kanadalainen

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So We did our first long family driving road trip (daughter is in grade 2 going into 3). It was about 8 1/2 hours in the car. We drove From Winnipeg to MacDowell Sask (just south of P.A.) to my dad and Girlfriends farm.

A few observations since it’s been a while

A drive through the prairies in the summer is very underrated. There were lots of rolling hills, Valleys, rivers, streams, ponds, lakes.

Lots of activity on the fields too.

The potash mine around Lanigan is really a site. It reminds me of Ayers Rock in Australia just this weird geological wonder of nature.

Sitting on the back deck at the farm in the wind with all the trees looking across the fields is almost spiritual. I know some of you probably grew up on a farm but there is a peacefulness and beauty to it that would be tough to give up.

Kids didn’t melt down so next year we can plan our first 7 day type road trip to Calgary Banff Jasper Edmonton

Our part of the world takes some heat for being flat and boring but that drive was quite beautiful.

Reactions: buggs

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So We did our first long family driving road trip (daughter is in grade 2 going into 3). It was about 8 1/2 hours in the car. We drove From Winnipeg to MacDowell Sask (just south of P.A.) to my dad and Girlfriends farm.

A drive through the prairies in the summer is very underrated. There were lots of rolling hills, Valleys, rivers, streams, ponds, lakes.

The potash mine around Lanigan is really a site. It reminds me of Ayers Rock in Australia just this weird geological wonder of nature.

Sitting on the back deck at the farm in the wind with all the trees looking across the fields is almost spiritual. I know some of you probably grew up on a farm but there is a peacefulness and beauty to it that would be tough to give up.

Kids didn’t melt down so next year we can plan our first 7 day type road trip to Calgary Banff Jasper Edmonton

Our part of the world takes some heat for being flat and boring but that drive was quite beautiful.

Big difference heading up north. That drive along the TCH between Manitoba and Alberta can only be described as a soul killing, seemingly interminable stretch of time that you will never, ever get back. :laugh:

That geologic wonder of nature you mention is actually an enormous pile of ever growing waste that will be a blight on the landscape until our sun burns out. And unlike Ayers rock, I don't think you're allowed to climb it.

7 days to do Calgary, Banff, Jasper and Edmonton? I guess if all you want to do is zip along the highway and not actually stop and explore anything, it's doable but why? You want a nice 7 day road trip? Take the family to Drumheller to check out the badlands (they have goalies... oops, I mean hoodoos) and the Royal Tyrrell museum (is there anything kids find cooler than dinosaurs?) then chill at the Temple Gardens mineral spa in Moose Jaw on the way back. The tunnel tours are kinda cool, if a bit hokey. Do not under any circumstances go on the trolley ghost tour. It is so badly done. Just a whole lot of, and somewhere in this neighbourhood a murder happened but we can't actually stop and point out the house because we don't have permission from the residents. :shakehead

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Big difference heading up north. That drive along the TCH between Manitoba and Alberta can only be described as a soul killing, seemingly interminable stretch of time that you will never, ever get back. :laugh:

That geologic wonder of nature you mention is actually an enormous pile of ever growing waste that will be a blight on the landscape until our sun burns out. And unlike Ayers rock, I don't think you're allowed to climb it.

7 days to do Calgary, Banff, Jasper and Edmonton? I guess if all you want to do is zip along the highway and not actually stop and explore anything, it's doable but why? You want a nice 7 day road trip? Take the family to Drumheller to check out the badlands (they have goalies... oops, I mean hoodoos) and the Royal Tyrrell museum (is there anything kids find cooler than dinosaurs?) then chill at the Temple Gardens mineral spa in Moose Jaw on the way back. The tunnel tours are kinda cool, if a bit hokey. Do not under any circumstances go on the trolley ghost tour. It is so badly done. Just a whole lot of, and somewhere in this neighbourhood a murder happened but we can't actually stop and point out the house because we don't have permission from the residents. :shakehead

While you're not wrong, I still actually love doing the drive. And speaking of geologic wonders the stretch between Hadashville and Austin is particularly cool, being the bottom of glacial Lake Agassiz. With beaches (if you never get out of the car, you'll never know) at each end being the Sandilands/Agassiz Provincial Forests in the east and the ridge that extends north from Spruce Woods Provincial Park. The sheer flatness of it is mindboggling. Of course it is boring but to me it remains fascinating.

I agree that 7 days is probably not enough, but it strongly reflects the road trips my family went on when I was a kid - hey we're here, get out, stand there, let's get a picture, ok, back in the car. To be fair the kids really just wanted a hotel with a swimming pool, so not entirely my parents fault. If all you have is 7 days then make a go of it as best you can. You won't see everything by any stretch but you'll get an overview. Just hope Alberta gets their Covid stuff more manageable.

I dragged my kid on almost every road trip my parents did with us. Wisconsin Dells, Victoria, Banff, Mount Rushmore/Black Hills. The only one I spared her was the three week road trip in a Mercury 500 towing a 22 foot trailer. All the way to Anaheim then back up the west coast and back across Western Canada. No cell phones, no video games. Tons of fun.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

We're thinking about doing a drive next year with the kids to Banff, Kelowna, and then to Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Didn't want to detract from the Hawerchuk memorial aspect in that thread so posting here:

If you're thinking of picking up a Hawerchuk Strong t-shirt, the sizing is really off. I went in today and grabbed one for myself and my buddy, XL for each of us. I didn't try it on until I got home and holy mackerel are they small. It's approaching medium rather than an actual XL and they are 95% cotton so they'll shrink as well. I can easily wear L but because of that 95% cotton aspect I sized up.

I did make sure they were the men's sizes as well because they aren't clearly marked (the women's tees have a more open collar but not obviously so). It's not a manufacturer I'm familiar with so this is really quite disappointing. They dropped the ball on these.

This is just the short sleeve tees, I have no idea about the long sleeve versions.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Drumheller is very cool , we golfed there a few years ago because my buddy , who lives in Calgary, keep telling me about this great golf course he played. We play the front 9 and i turned to my buddy and said, i don't get what the big deal is about this course? He says ok now we have to get a power cart, i said i don't use no damn power cart i walk . Well the back 9 holes were on top of the hoodoos , thankgod for the power cart. :laugh: Very cool experience.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Didn't want to detract from the Hawerchuk memorial aspect in that thread so posting here:

If you're thinking of picking up a Hawerchuk Strong t-shirt, the sizing is really off. I went in today and grabbed one for myself and my buddy, XL for each of us. I didn't try it on until I got home and holy mackerel are they small. It's approaching medium rather than an actual XL and they are 95% cotton so they'll shrink as well. I can easily wear L but because of that 95% cotton aspect I sized up.

I did make sure they were the men's sizes as well because they aren't clearly marked (the women's tees have a more open collar but not obviously so). It's not a manufacturer I'm familiar with so this is really quite disappointing. They dropped the ball on these.

This is just the short sleeve tees, I have no idea about the long sleeve versions.
I am a medium so i should get XL ? Good to know. :thumbu:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

You drive 8 1/2 hours here and you run out of island. :laugh:

That's way too much for 7 days though, I reckon pick between Calgary+Banff or Edmonton+Jasper. Spend about two nights in each place and then you've got one night either side on the road, so you can split the long drive, stop for a proper lunch each day, and get in some activities on the way.

Then do the other trip the next summer. :D

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Actually, yeah, that would work. Seriously, I have one of the Moose Star Wars shirts that is size L. It's been through the dryer after every wash and it fits me fine. The Hawerchuk XL is tighter without ever being washed/dried.

It's kind of like when I was in Australia and didn't know their sizing was different. So I bought something XL there and eventually my kid wore it. Whoops. But here XL is for bigger folks and this ain't it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ok, went back to store today.

It turns out the sizing is accurate. The one shirt I buy says XL on the price tag but it turns out it is a medium on the tag inside the shirt. So the sizing is accurate and kinda shame on me for trusting the tag to be accurate.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Damn , we now have to wear a mask at work , Superstore, i get it during the day but midnights , there is no one really even near you. Damn thing is hot and i sneezed all over my face because i couldn't block it with my hand, gross. :laugh: As of this coming Monday all shoppers with have to have one on or they won't be allowed in the store, just a heads up .

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Damn , we now have to wear a mask at work , Superstore, i get it during the day but midnights , there is no one really even near you. Damn thing is hot and i sneezed all over my face because i couldn't block it with my hand, gross. :laugh: As of this coming Monday all shoppers with have to have one on or they won't be allowed in the store, just a heads up .

I've been wearing a mask while shopping for some time now. It seems to be the norm now rather than the exception. More and more stores are requiring one, and I figure it's only a matter of time before the government will make it mandatory.

CTV is maintaining a list of places that require mask use.
Here is where it is mandatory to wear a mask in Manitoba

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Thanks for the heads up. Ever since Sobey's and Safeway merged I've become a Superstore guy. Granted I'm old and still check my flyers every week for deals, but it's mostly Superstore.

I don't wear a mask in general when I'm out unless whatever location I'm going to requires it. But I do carry one with me at all times in case a place mandates. Just add Superstore to the list.

From @nobody imp0rtant list:

Orangetheory Fitness requires masks when entering the gym. They are not required during a workout;

Uh...

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

heard about that today from a work colleague, but been wearing one for awhile now .....

Reactions: bustamente
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad