Post-Game Talk: Jets lose to the Hawks 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Disappointing effort. Looks like that game where we outclassed Detroit had more to do with them being on the tail end of a long road trip and tired than the Jets dominating them.

Bigger problems on this team than goaltending as evidenced by the performance tonight. Chicago dominated in puck possession and seemed to have the puck in our end 60% of the night.

We're in a stretch of tough games right now and it's pretty apparent that the Jets can't win games against the top teams in the division. Compete for the most part, yes, but win?..NO, at least not yet. I' m curious to see how we can do against the Eastern Conference, particularly the weaker teams....

which is why I don't understand why people here are blaming the coach entirely for the poor play of the team and want him fired. Let's see how this plays out once the Jets have gone through all the teams in the NHL. Maybe they boost their record above .500...

And it's not Noel's fault that the players show a lack of awareness particularly Wheeler turning the puck over in his own zone resulting in a goal and Buff picking yet another awful time to pinch on the left side of the ice, caught out of position and allowing Sharp to go in alone on goal and score.

What's with the outcry about Kane?! Maybe he wasn't ready to play. Guy thought he was ready, but the coaches felt different. Oh, let's blame Noel for that too because Kane would have made such a huge difference tonight!

Honestly, I love the groupthink or rather groupblame in these Jet forums. I've noticed even the mods are getting in the act too. Blame Noel for not playing Montoya so he plays Montoya and now everyone blames Noel for the lack of awareness and poor decision-making of players on the team!

Maybe, just maybe, this collection of players isn't good enough yet and it's not the coach's fault. Maybe, just maybe we should wait until the Jets face a few more teams before we fire Noel - like at least half the season.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The team honestly struggles to score goals.

Move Byfuglien while he is worth something & get a decent forward to play with Kane.

We already have Trouba & Morrisey & many other good defencemen right now.

Montoya does what we need. Our biggest problem is goal scoring. We need a system that compliments the players we have. Noel hasn't really done that/teams adjust too quickly

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yep. Player that wants to play, medical staff says no, media creates a controversy.

This is why I waited to comment on it. Nothing to see here!

I will say this against Noel, there is no way Buff should have gotten the most ice time among defenseman tonight with that performance. He played roughly 4 minutes more than Bogosian and Enstrom tonight and to me that's unacceptable. I don't know how you can actually hold players accountable when the rules only apply to certain players.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Disappointing effort. Looks like that game where we outclassed Detroit had more to do with them being on the tail end of a long road trip and tired than the Jets dominating them.

Bigger problems on this team than goaltending as evidenced by the performance tonight. Chicago dominated in puck possession and seemed to have the puck in our end 60% of the night.

We're in a stretch of tough games right now and it's pretty apparent that the Jets can't win games against the top teams in the division. Compete for the most part, yes, but win?..NO, at least not yet. I' m curious to see how we can do against the Eastern Conference, particularly the weaker teams....

which is why I don't understand why people here are blaming the coach entirely for the poor play of the team and want him fired. Let's see how this plays out once the Jets have gone through all the teams in the NHL. Maybe they boost their record above .500...

And it's not Noel's fault that the players show a lack of awareness particularly Wheeler turning the puck over in his own zone resulting in a goal and Buff picking yet another awful time to pinch on the left side of the ice, caught out of position and allowing Sharp to go in alone on goal and score.

What's with the outcry about Kane?! Maybe he wasn't ready to play. Guy thought he was ready, but the coaches felt different. Oh, let's blame Noel for that too because Kane would have made such a huge difference tonight!

Honestly, I love the groupthink or rather groupblame in these Jet forums. I've noticed even the mods are getting in the act too. Blame Noel for not playing Montoya so he plays Montoya and now everyone blames Noel for the lack of awareness and poor decision-making of players on the team!

Maybe, just maybe, this collection of players isn't good enough yet and it's not the coach's fault. Maybe, just maybe we should wait until the Jets face a few more teams before we fire Noel - like at least half the season.

I think what you said can be blamed on Noel:sarcasm:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Noel-post-game-November-6-2013-300x167.jpg

Coach Noel - Assessment of the game. How does he fix the mental mistakes? Comments on Kane and why he didn’t play. Is Kane more likely to be a player on Friday night? Talk about the Hawks transition game. His thoughts on Pardy having a beer spilled on his head.

To listen click here.

Hawks-beat-Jets-300x142.jpg

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

For above click here.

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Firing a coach midseason, rarely turns a team around. It's been proven over and over again. Usually what happens is the team experiences a short-term improvement in their play and team record but eventually reverts back to their former (mediocre) level of play.

2009 Pittsburgh Penguins beg to differ. They were barely in a playoff spot when Therrien was fired.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I remember those guys.

Is there a stat for schedule difficulty to this point in the season? I assume it would calculate the Jets opponents home and away records and the difficulty in collecting points against these teams.

There is never an excuse for losing but I wonder if the Jets have played a difficult schedule up to this point.

Heh I looked... three interesting things...

1) Jets have had tough schedule of teams for most part... 11 teams who are >50% for shot metrics, 6 teams who are <50%...

2) Jets average 1 point in standings per game against sub 50% teams, .73 points per >50% teams

here's the kicker...

3) Jets win percentage is about the same for each... we just get to loser points with the weaker teams more often

Summary:

vs >50% Jets are 4-7-0-0 (with only 2 wins in regulation time)
vs <50% Jets are 2-2-1-1

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Firing a coach midseason, rarely turns a team around. It's been proven over and over again. Usually what happens is the team experiences a short-term improvement in their play and team record but eventually reverts back to their former (mediocre) level of play.

Totally agree with you, let Noel ride this season and then you more choices to look at. At worst we draft 10-14, hope for a good player.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins beg to differ. They were barely in a playoff spot when Therrien was fired.

Having one, arguably two generational talents peaking on the team helps. Penguins more the exception than the norm. I really don't think Therrien really deserved to be fired IMHO. Also contributing to their bounce back was the acquisition of Guerin and Kunitz, and Gonchar returning from injury.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Heh I looked... three interesting things...

1) Jets have had tough schedule of teams for most part... 11 teams who are >50% for shot metrics, 6 teams who are <50%...

2) Jets average 1 point in standings per game against sub 50% teams, .73 points per >50% teams

here's the kicker...

3) Jets win percentage is about the same for each... we just get to loser points with the weaker teams more often

Summary:

vs >50% Jets are 4-7-0-0 (with only 2 wins in regulation time)
vs <50% Jets are 2-2-1-1

That is interesting. Thanks for checking into it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not so sure how a coaching change improves the Jets meagre talent level, better yet put Noel behind the Hawks bench and guess which team still would have won.

Who was the guy who gave Buff and Wheeler those big contracts?:shakehead

Buff was horrible once again and it's becoming a pattern. He was on the ice for all 4 Hawks goals and in typical Buff fashion out of position on all of them.

Wheeler still hasn't put his game together this year, his nightly compete level is sub-par. Starting to see why despite his physical tools why the Bruins gave up on him, he's soft.

With a healthy Trouba and maybe even Redmond in the line-up, you move Buff for a forward.

Last edited:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Other than the FroSH line, and the Bogo-Toby pairing, the rest of the team mailed it in.

The frustrating part is that for the first 12 minutes or so, the Jets were playing the Hawks close to even, and then decided the game wasn't worth winning.

The PP is abysmal, Montoya got hung out to dry by the team,and several Jets need to learn awareness of where the opposition is in their own zone.

Just bad all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad